ADVERTISEMENT

What was this referree thinking... Wrestler had to cut off his dreadlocks or forfeit a match

lots of leaps to conclusions in this thread. that's somewhat disappointing, as 1) the entire saga has not been presented in the linked article, and 2) many seem to be uninformed of the rules,

It sounds as though this was a dual meet, as it took place on a Wednesday. In many instances at duals, the ref for the JV conducts the weigh-ins, where the skin, nail, and hair checks are also performed. As @lookleft goright indicated, there are also times when due to traffic issues, schedule issues, etc., a ref can't get to the weigh-in in time, so the process is conducted by the two head coaches. So at this time, we don't know if the ref that officiated the dual conducted the weigh-ins, or if a ref even conducted the weigh-ins.

Next, at weigh-ins, it's not uncommon for wrestlers to not have their headgear with them. In situations where a wrestler has long hair that exceeds the limits (below the eye brow, below the ear lobe, or below the collar), the ref will inform the wrestler that they need to cut their hair before they can wrestle. Or, they'll give them the option of wearing a hair covering. Similarly, in situations where the hair is braided, the ref will remind the wrestler that they have to wear a hair covering that is attached to the headgear. (That's the NFHS rule. Simple hair covers that are not attached to the headgear are illegal.) If the wrestler has the hair covering and headgear with them, the ref will inspect it, but as I mentioned at the start of the paragraph, it's not unusual for the wrestlers to not have their headgear with them. So at this time, we don't know if the ref that officiated, or the ref that conducted the weigh-ins, inspected the headgear to check that the hair cover attached to it.

At weigh-ins, it's not uncommon for wrestlers with long nails, or sideburns that are too long or hair/ facial hair that needs to be shaved, or long hair, to indicate that they'll address the problem after the weigh in, as the clipper, the razor, or the scissors are in an equipment bag that's not at the weigh ins. If they are wrestling JV, the ref that performed the weigh-ins will check them in the time between the weigh-ins and the start of the match. For varsity matches, it's not uncommon for the JV ref to simply inform the varsity ref, when that person arrives, of the deficiencies, and the varsity ref will check those specific wrestlers to ensure that the problem was addressed.

Once a wrestler presents on the mat to wrestle, if they are found to be wearing illegal uniforms, illegal equipment, lacking required equipment, etc., the NFHS rules are to put them on the injury clock. If they can not satisfy the problem by the time the injury time runs out, then they have to forfeit.

From the linked article, we do not know what took place in the conversation between the ref and the wrestler. My SUSPICION, based on years of being involved in this process, is that the wrestler presented at the mat with a hair covering that was not attached to the headgear. Once the ref noticed that, the NFHS rules would be to put the wrestler on the injury clock, and then inform him that he had to get a legal hair cover/headgear combo, and that if he didn't have that, that he needed to have his hair cut. My SUSPICION is that the ref asked the wrestler if they he had a legal hair cover/headgear combo, and once he/his coach indicated that he did not, the ref informed the wrestler that he needed to cut his hair or he would forfeit the match, and then put him on the injury clock. Because he was on the clock, and needed to resolve the situation quickly, and didn't want to forfeit the match, the hair cut was performed mat side, which also made it so that a fan or a reporter could video the prices.

While I was putting this together, I see that @RoarLions1 posted a short but wise post.

The ref in this incident is pretty well known, and has a good reputation as a ref.

In many ways, this reminds me of an incident that took place in a PIAA girls basketball district contest last winter. At the time, if an athlete had a religious requirement for wearing any type of head piece, they had to have a authorization form from the PIAA. Basically, the athlete would indicate they had to wear the head piece, the school would send a form home with the student to get signed. Once it was signed and returned to the school, they would transmit it to the PIAA, and the PIAA would automatically authorize it. In many cases, during the regular season, refs would encounter players wearing religious head pieces. They'd ask the coach for the form, and find out that they'd yet to receive a signed form back from the parents, or some other issue, and the refs would break the rules, and allow the athlete to compete. However, in the playoffs, the refs are always reminded of the official rules, and asked to enforce them. So last winter, a ref enforced the rule in a girls basketball district 12 playoff game in Philadelphia. When the coach could not produce the PIAA authorization form for the athlete, the ref ruled that the player could not play in the playoff game. The incident went viral, as it was on all the local TV stations, in all the newspapers, with all kinds of claims that the ref was prejudiced, etc. A bunch of local and state politicians also spouted off about the incident, and sent letters to the PIAA, or introduced rules in the PA legislature to allow athletes to wear religious headgear. The PIAA worked with the NFHS, and in most sports athletes no longer need an authorization form to wear religious head pieces. Interestingly, wrestling was an exception to that change. Wrestlers still need a PIAA authorization form to wear any type of religious head wrap.

The referee is well known for his poor reputation. From USA Today..

“Maloney has been accused of racism before. That year, the Courier-Post reported, he was accused of directing a racial slur at another referee at a private gathering between officials at a condominium. Per the Courier-Post, Maloney allegedly poked referee Preston Hamilton in the chest and used a racial slur during an argument over homemade wine. The Courier-Post reported that Hamilton, who is black, slammed Maloney to the ground.“

Reactions: nitlion6
For some people showing the world that they are not racist or that they are victims of racism gives meaning to their life. They join together in these instances to feel important or get attention. IMHO
They think and see things so differently than I do, that it is difficult to converse with them. I read where the kid was emasculated. Seriously? Are we that soft now that a hair cut is a devastating event? Again, a bit old school here, but it seems like a lot of something over nothing.
On the other hand, congrats to the kid for getting the hair cut so he could wrestle and help his team. Also, nice way to win in OT.

Let me guess... your an old white guy?

I read where the kid was emasculated. Seriously? Are we that soft now that a hair cut is a devastating event? Again, a bit old school here, but it seems like a lot of something over nothing.

Most don't know the wrestler, the referee, the parents, or details of the what actually transpired. That said, I believe most, who have been raised in a newer school to be more sensitive to others, expect similar sensitivity in return and to be shown by others.

My take-away from the video is the young man was struggling with a compromise made to his personal value system. There appeared to be no joy in his victory, and he seemed inconsolable, to me.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with holding this kind of empthetic value system. In cases, where the treatment of others don't align with this kind of view, regardless of any knowledge or ignorance of actual rules and protocols, it can be perceived to be a promotion of the value system, as much as if not more than to identify and address the root cause. Those who hold an older school value system may take it as a personal afront to their core beliefs.

Some seem to have identifed the root cause as a capricious enforcement of the rule motivated by prejudice. I haven't, but acknowledge the possibility.

Others seem to be alluding to the net benefit of the rule (cost in human dignity vs incremental safety improvement) as the real issue. Despite also being raised to be old school by someone born into the great depression, I am in this camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookleft goright
So Alec Pantaleo uses the Alt-Right Pepe the Frog Meme, showing his true character and anything he posts now loses all credibility as it is borne of wacky conspiracy theories. Good to know.
What, exactly, makes that emoji Pepe the Frog? Is it really Pepe the Frog, or could it be that you want to see Pepe the Frog just to be butthurt? Maybe it's just a simple frog emoji.

Can you do us a favor and get back to us with which of the following are also Pepe?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fro...IDigB&cshid=1545580792101000&biw=1517&bih=737

I am a middle aged white male myself, but I always find it comical when middle aged to elderly white males are so quick and confident in their analysis that there was no racism in any particular incident.
And how younger to middle aged folks think racism is prevalent and mostly the case.

According to Willie (via twitter) the kid was warned about this the week prior but they let it slide. If that’s accurate this is 100% on the coaches for not rectifying the situation

I agree.

Not only did we see this with Shak last year but I’ve been around it too. In Shaks case, he was allowed to wrestle with the braids in the previous match, and then the refer indicated his braids were un-natural and needed the cover or forfeit the match. The second ref was actually correct as opposed the the first one that allowed him to wrestle.

I agree with Jefe in that the issue must have been addressed in the weigh-ins.....and I will add whether the ref was there or not. Complicating the issue is the often used satellite weigh ins that often require an honor system of sorts when no ref is able to be there.

Tackling this matside is a completely avoidable mess and I’ve seen nails cut, mouthpieces disallowed and wrestlers borrowing friends, kids shaved at the mat....all because of lack of enforcement at weigh in.

This would include seeing the hair cover and detemining if this cover is regulation to cover the dreds.

I don’t know what happened either. What we don’t need is non wrestling people passing judgement on rules that actually work and are written to avoid this.
1. Yes. None of these care about our sport until it fits their narrative to be outraged.

2. It sucks that this had to happen, in public, matside. Definitely a black eye. In MN, I've never seen this, but I have seen it enforced at weigh-ins.

3. Our coach was always ahead of the curve, letting us know. Both I and other teammates got popped. Last tournament of the year, JV Conference meeet... 8th grade Duster pushes the limit with his bangs. Mom shows up to said meet, and son Duster has the Lloyd Christmas rainbow special. There was 0 effort to make it a good cut. It was a lesson learned.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Let me guess... your an old white guy?
Define old. :) Regardless, does the validity of my opinion depend on my age and skin color. (a bit racist and ageist of you, if that is the case) It just seems so silly to me. I have seen many kids forced to get a hair cut at weigh ins and I have seen it missed many times. Never once did I think racism was involved. Now all of a sudden it seems to be the topic of discussion.

Maybe the ref has a problem, and if so hopefully, he is getting help. On the other hand, maybe he doesn't. I have no idea. So are we arguing that cutting a kids hair if he is black is racist? Are we arguing that the ref is a racist and this is just another example of his racism so he should be canned? Are we saying we need to change the hair rules? Are we saying that the world of wrestling is filled with racist enablers and the sport needs to pay the price? What exactly are we arguing about?

Most don't know the wrestler, the referee, the parents, or details of the what actually transpired. That said, I believe most, who have been raised in a newer school to be more sensitive to others, expect similar sensitivity in return and to be shown by others.

My take-away from the video is the young man was struggling with a compromise made to his personal value system. There appeared to be no joy in his victory, and he seemed inconsolable, to me.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with holding this kind of empthetic value system. In cases, where the treatment of others don't align with this kind of view, regardless of any knowledge or ignorance of actual rules and protocols, it can be perceived to be a promotion of the value system, as much as if not more than to identify and address the root cause. Those who hold an older school value system may take it as a personal afront to their core beliefs.

Some seem to have identifed the root cause as a capricious enforcement of the rule motivated by prejudice. I haven't, but acknowledge the possibility.

Others seem to be alluding to the net benefit of the rule (cost in human dignity vs incremental safety improvement) as the real issue. Despite also being raised to be old school by someone born into the great depression, I am in this camp.
I can understand the empthetic approach to life. If we were talking about that, this would be a civil, constructive, and uplifting conversation filled with ways to make the situation better. However, it has been filled with a discussion about racism. I guess being in the exact situation many times as the official and never once considering a racist angle to it, I feel the need to discuss and defend. You know how us old white guys are. :)

The referee is well known for his poor reputation. From USA Today..

“Maloney has been accused of racism before. That year, the Courier-Post reported, he was accused of directing a racial slur at another referee at a private gathering between officials at a condominium. Per the Courier-Post, Maloney allegedly poked referee Preston Hamilton in the chest and used a racial slur during an argument over homemade wine. The Courier-Post reported that Hamilton, who is black, slammed Maloney to the ground.“

I'll be polite, and call your statement an uninformed comment. It appears that you are playing off of the following sentence of mine in my earlier post:

The ref in this incident is pretty well known, and has a good reputation as a ref.

From the article at THIS LINK:

"As of 2016, he [the ref, Alan Maloney] had participated in 31 state individual championship tournaments and had worked the finals nine times."

NJ, like many other states, evaluates their refs during the district tournaments, and those that grade out the highest are asked to work the state tournament. So I'm quite comfortable in stating that Maloney has a good reputation as a ref.

You, however, want to twist my words, and focus on a single disagreement that occurred between two refs (one being Maloney), that occurred when they were among a group of refs at a condo at the Jersey shore, while reffing a tournament. People are usually judged on their body of work, and not a disagreement they had with one person.

I'll be polite, and call your statement an uninformed statement. It appears that you are playing off of the following sentence of mine in my earlier post:

"As of 2016, he [the ref, Alan Maloney] had participated in 31 state individual championship tournaments and had worked the finals nine times."

NJ, like many other states, evaluates their refs during the district tournaments, and those that grade out the highest are asked to work the state tournament. So I'm quite comfortable in stating that the ref has a good reputation as a ref.

You, however, want to twist my words, and focus on a single disagreement that occurred between two refs (one being Maloney), that occurred when they were among a group of refs at a condo at the Jersey shore, while reffing a tournament. People are usually judged on their body of work, and not a disagreement they had with one person.

Tom, I understand that you quite often side with the refs whenever there is some controversy about a bad call, but I would love for you to clarify something. Is it your intention to characterize an incident where this man called another man a N*****, as simply a "single disagreement between two refs"?
I don't want to jump to any conclusions, so I await your clarification.

I guess being in the exact situation many times as the official and never once considering a racist angle to it, I feel the need to discuss and defend.

When I saw short sound bite takes in response to the "What do you think about...?" media coverage, it seemed the angle was to get a macro sense of feeling thru gut reactions rather than any kind of deep dive into the respondents' knowledge of wrestling, its rules, or their origins.

Some seem to have put forth the origin as being to maintain a "cleancut look" while others point only to a legitimate safety concern. I don't know the truth of the rule's origin. I understand how some could perceive "cleancut look" as a code, if that's the true origin, regardless of the ethnic diversity on the current national high school rule-making board.

I know a few Sikhs and understand some of their traditions, which include never cutting their hair or shaving. And yes, I read about religious waivers. Still, I think that if there is no real demonstrable safety benefit to the rule, then it could be reconsidered for elimination in the broader interest of inclusivity and preserving individual dignity.

Tom, I understand that you quite often side with the refs whenever there is some controversy about a bad call, but I would love for you to clarify something. Is it your intention to characterize an incident where this man called another man a N*****, as simply a "single disagreement between two refs"?
I don't want to jump to any conclusions, so I await your clarification.

I have no clue what happened in the incident at the condo. In disagreements, there are often two sides to the story. Maloney apologized to the other ref, yet both refs were suspended because of the incident. I've never spoken to any of the refs that were at the condo about what actually took place there, and I have no interest in dealing in hypotheticals about the incident.

I'll be polite, and call your statement an uninformed comment. It appears that you are playing off of the following sentence of mine in my earlier post:

NJ, like many other states, evaluates their refs during the district tournaments, and those that grade out the highest are asked to work the state tournament. So I'm quite comfortable in stating that Maloney has a good reputation as a ref.

Eh, he might be better at networking than reffing.

Using football as a counterpoint, how many big games did Dave Witvoet get to ref in the Big 10 while being almost patently incompetent and seemingly compromised?

Eh, he might be better at networking than reffing.

From my experience, which is not in NJ, networking has nothing to do with it. The evaluations are basically completed before the evaluator even meets with the ref. They don't discuss the evaluation score; they simply review a few things they saw that they felt could have been handled differently. I've been evaluated by individuals I've never met before, and been evaluated by individuals I would consider somewhere between associates and friends. I haven't found that a prior relationship, or any type of networking, has anything to do with the evaluations.

Using football as a counterpoint, how many big games did Dave Witvoet get to ref in the Big 10 while being almost patently incompetent and seemingly compromised?

I understand the comparison, but it's really not all that relevant. The B1G has a crew of refs for the season. They don't change refs during the season, so it's a set group of refs. I don't know a lot about their evaluation system, but based on the results there does appear to be problems with it. In high school wrestling, the ref pool at districts changes every year, due to refs moving, being injured, etc., plus conscious efforts by the districts to promote less experienced refs that are showing great promise to districts. In addition, the evaluators change. Lastly, most states have limitations on how frequently an individual can ref at States, so you don't see the same refs there each year.

I spoke with a NJ wrestling official today and here is what I was told. First, the official is known to be something of a butthead. Second, during the pre-wrestle inspection the kid said he had the proper headgear but failed to produce it. When he stepped onto the mat without the prescribed equipment he had a choice: forfeit or cut the hair.

This is a rule that had been loosely enforced this year as the approved headgear is backordered by a couple months.

I have no clue what happened in the incident at the condo. In disagreements, there are often two sides to the story. Maloney apologized to the other ref, yet both refs were suspended because of the incident. I've never spoken to any of the refs that were at the condo about what actually took place there, and I have no interest in dealing in hypotheticals about the incident.

I have to respectfully disagree. Apologies and suspensions are irrelevant, IMO. There is no hypothetical involved in this at all. Maloney actually acknowledged that he called the man a N*****, from the article:

“It was two men, a group of guys, having fun and it was just a slip-up,” Maloney told the Courier-Post. “If you can’t see past that, then I don’t know what to say. I made a mistake, and I apologized for it. And it was accepted.”

Maloney want's to characterize his use of the N word as a "slip-up" and move beyond it. He implies that anyone who has an issue with that is being unreasonable. So then I'm glad to be seen as unreasonable in Maloney's eyes. Any use of that word speaks volumes about the man's character and inherent racism. It also would immediately call into question his behavior in the hair-cutting incident as racially motivated, whether subconsciously or consciously.

Reactions: Treelion66
I have to respectfully disagree. Apologies and suspensions are irrelevant, IMO. There is no hypothetical involved in this at all. Maloney actually acknowledged that he called the man a N*****, from the article:

“It was two men, a group of guys, having fun and it was just a slip-up,” Maloney told the Courier-Post. “If you can’t see past that, then I don’t know what to say. I made a mistake, and I apologized for it. And it was accepted.”

Maloney want's to characterize his use of the N word as a "slip-up" and move beyond it. He implies that anyone who has an issue with that is being unreasonable. So then I'm glad to be seen as unreasonable in Maloney's eyes. Any use of that word speaks volumes about the man's character and inherent racism. It also would immediately call into question his behavior in the hair-cutting incident as racially motivated, whether subconsciously or consciously.
Personally, I have always been envious of black guys who can call their black friends the "N" word and it is ok. I feel a great deal of closeness to my black friends and wrestlers, yet I am not given that freedom. I can see where after a few drinks, I might slip up. I can also see where the guy could have some racism issues and it came out after a few drinks.

However, I do not see where he thinks you are being unreasonable if you have an issue with it. He simply said it was a mistake and he apologized, it was accepted - which I think means all parties involved have moved on. (Maybe not) If you don't accept it, he has no way to convince you. I believe that. Either you believe him or you do not. It is now out of his hands. Maybe the other guy can step forward and clarify the situation.

Surprised no one has mentioned was he breaking the rules or not ? Why is everything about racism.
Rules are rules, 1 ref has the guts to enforce and he is labeled. Wrong.
Around 15 years ago one of my son's team mates was in the same situtaion. Hair cut or not wrestle. Parents no where to be found. Wrestler wanted to wrestle and let a volunteer coach cut some hair.
Parents called police and 3 hours later the state police showed up and parents wanted this teacher carged with assault. Child wanted to wrestle.
This teacher almost had his life ruined for helping out.
Truth be known I wouldn't be surprised if the child who is wrestling would prefer a buzz cut like every other wrestler. I would take a close look at the parents.
The rule says you can wear a hair covering, but the ref refused to allow this and basically said cut your hair or you can’t wrestle.

The rule says you can wear a hair covering, but the ref refused to allow this and basically said cut your hair or you can’t wrestle.
The Hair covering must attach to the head gear. I live about 30 miles north of where this took place. Last year a wrestler from Freehold twp had almost the same thing happen to him. The ref started the match and when the kids hair covering fell off the ref looked at it and told him to get the legal one and started injury time. After he and his coach didn`t get a legal one he had to forfeit. The ref said he told the coach at the weigh in to get a legal hair covering.

Personally, I have always been envious of black guys who can call their black friends the "N" word and it is ok. I feel a great deal of closeness to my black friends and wrestlers, yet I am not given that freedom. I can see where after a few drinks, I might slip up. I can also see where the guy could have some racism issues and it came out after a few drinks.

However, I do not see where he thinks you are being unreasonable if you have an issue with it. He simply said it was a mistake and he apologized, it was accepted - which I think means all parties involved have moved on. (Maybe not) If you don't accept it, he has no way to convince you. I believe that. Either you believe him or you do not. It is now out of his hands. Maybe the other guy can step forward and clarify the situation.

You’re jealous you can’t use slurs at a demographic?

Just use the appropriate slur about your own race to your friends of your skin color. Then you have nothing to be jealous about....

Envious? Have you lived the life of a black man in America? Have you even thought what it might be like to be black in this country in 1818? 1918?Even 2018??

Do you understand the history of the word? Do you understand why it is OK for African-Americans to use the word? The need to “take it back” for centuries of discrimination, hate, slavery, rape, and murder?

It is never OK for that word to pass through the lips of a white man.

I am content knowing this new form of communication has evolved without me knowing anything about it.

Anyone who does not like my position regarding this new form of communication should get off my lawn.;)
Is your lawn cut to an acceptable length?

Reactions: SRATH
Envious? Have you lived the life of a black man in America? Have you even thought what it might be like to be black in this country in 1818? 1918?Even 2018??

Do you understand the history of the word? Do you understand why it is OK for African-Americans to use the word? The need to “take it back” for centuries of discrimination, hate, slavery, rape, and murder?

Yes apparently I am never going to be able to have as close of a relationship with my black friends as I would like. The racism issues run deep and I can never be trusted or allowed that privilege. I have no knowledge of what it is like to be discriminated against because of my skin color. Or my Irish heritage or my Tibetan country of origin or my Christian or Hindi or Sunni religion.
I know that I cannot say the "N" word because it would be offensive. There is a barrier to how close of a relationship I can have with a black person. I realize and accept it.
I acknowledge that I am not scarred by racist beatings or humiliations. Hopefully those who are scarred by racist activity can eventually get past all the terrible things that have happened in the past and we can move ahead treating each situation with the same amount of scrutiny as it deserves.
Most of the country (I believe) wants to treat everyone with the respect and dignity they deserve. Instead of the past actions of others being the reason to crucify the current actions of present day occurrences, we would like to look upon every one as a brother or sister and just get along.

Reactions: Treelion66

As a white HS junior talking to a black classmate, I once had occasion to have the N-word pass my lips shortly after boarding my public school bus for the ride home. I had just come to the defense of a black sophomore band member, who was being harassed by a group of white VoTech students. For my efforts, I was called a "n***** lover."

As I sat by my friend, I relayed to him exactly what happened and what I had been called. As I did so, a black HS senior overhead part of the conversation and immediately wanted to fight me. After I explained the circumstances, calmer heads prevailed. So it seems, at least in this case, my use of the N-word was acceptable to all races on the bus.

I spoke with a NJ wrestling official today and here is what I was told. First, the official is known to be something of a butthead. Second, during the pre-wrestle inspection the kid said he had the proper headgear but failed to produce it. When he stepped onto the mat without the prescribed equipment he had a choice: forfeit or cut the hair.

This is a rule that had been loosely enforced this year as the approved headgear is backordered by a couple months.

Two things:

1. The rule is not new. I believe it was adopted by the NFHS 2 years ago. At the beginning of that high school season, wrestlers and their coaches in PA claimed that they didn't know about the rule, or that they had been unable to order the approved headgear with the attached hair cover. Because of this, refs in PA were enforcing the rule pretty loosely at the start of the HS season. The PIAA got frustrated with the situation, and specifically put out bulletins to the schools and to the refs that cited the two manufacturers that made the approved headgear with attached hair cover, and which had the equipment in stock. As such, the enforcement became much tighter at the varsity level. It remained somewhat loose at the JV level, the middle school level, and at the youth level, though that was something that each ref decided on their own. The refs were put in a hopeless situation, between wanting to facilitate wrestlers wrestling, and also wanting to enforce the rule. I'm pretty sure that when the rule was changed by the NFHS, it also went into effect in NJ. Last season, the enforcement became much stricter at all levels but youth, and this season it appears to be even stricter, as wrestlers, their families, and coaches have had ample time to respond to the rule change. The only exception to strict enforcement had been at the youth level, where many youth leagues have adopted rules that hair covers were not required, or that they need not be attached to the headgear, or some combination of those rules modifications.

2. "during the pre-wrestle inspection the kid said he had the proper headgear but failed to produce it. When he stepped onto the mat without the prescribed equipment he had a choice: forfeit or cut the hair." -- that's pretty much what I indicated in my first post in this thread as what I suspected had happened, though I did indicate that he would have had 3 options -- get the appropriate hair cover that was attached to the headgear, cut the hair, or forfeit the match.

Hearing their may be a lawsuit, I would guess it would be a civil suit, as I havent read of any actual LAWS that were broken.

Im wondering if his mane had just simply outgrown the approved cover to a point where he could no longer get it attached. If this is the case, he MUST have known this day would come. Was he tempting fate?

I have witnessed this very act MANY times,from Middle school on up (never elementary) I’ve also seen nails clipped, shoes taped,stubble shaved.....all at matside. Folks are up in arms because this certain boy had long dreadlocks, and was “ traumatized” by this, well in all the matside barber jobs I have witnessed, I saw no traumitization.How come no one ever posted a video of little Timmy getting a 1/2” taken off his bangs because the hair was hanging in his eyes? Sure, Ive never saw any hair as long as this boys get chopped,but how can you distinguish between the two instancs, a haircut is a haircut, what is traumatic to Timmy may not be traumatic to Billy.

This boy had to have known ( and did according to Tom) that BY THE RULES the ref expected his hair to be contained. Why tempt fate if you are going to be traumatized from the fate.

Any use of that word speaks volumes about the man's character and inherent racism. It also would immediately call into question his behavior in the hair-cutting incident as racially motivated, whether subconsciously or consciously.

You're looking at this from an entirely wrong perspective. Enforcing the rule -- the wrestler must wear the appropriate head cover that is attached to the headgear, or the wrestler must cut their hair if they don't have the appropriate head cover/head gear combo, or the wrestler must forfeit the match -- is not racist. It doesn't matter who the ref is, who the wrestler is, or what either of them may have said in their past, or what type of feelings either of them may have about race.

Two things:

1. The rule is not new. I believe it was adopted by the NFHS 2 years ago. At the beginning of that high school season, wrestlers and their coaches in PA claimed that they didn't know about the rule, or that they had been unable to order the approved headgear with the attached hair cover. Because of this, refs in PA were enforcing the rule pretty loosely at the start of the HS season. The PIAA got frustrated with the situation, and specifically put out bulletins to the schools and to the refs that cited the two manufacturers that made the approved headgear with attached hair cover, and which had the equipment in stock. As such, the enforcement became much tighter at the varsity level. It remained somewhat loose at the JV level, the middle school level, and at the youth level, though that was something that each ref decided on their own. The refs were put in a hopeless situation, between wanting to facilitate wrestlers wrestling, and also wanting to enforce the rule. I'm pretty sure that when the rule was changed by the NFHS, it also went into effect in NJ. Last season, the enforcement became much stricter at all levels but youth, and this season it appears to be even stricter, as wrestlers, their families, and coaches have had ample time to respond to the rule change. The only exception to strict enforcement had been at the youth level, where many youth leagues have adopted rules that hair covers were not required, or that they need not be attached to the headgear, or some combination of those rules modifications..
This is an exceptional explanation, and we saw every last bit of it in the 2016-17 season, starting with wrestle-offs. The kid my son was wrestling off came in with long hair, and an unapproved hair net, despite three previous discussions from coach. Kid bolted out of the room, followed by Dad, and fifteen minutes later came back with a nice high and tight cut, administered by the Dad, who proudly proclaimed, "His hair is lying on my back porch."

When I saw short sound bite takes in response to the "What do you think about...?" media coverage, it seemed the angle was to get a macro sense of feeling thru gut reactions rather than any kind of deep dive into the respondents' knowledge of wrestling, its rules, or their origins.

Some seem to have put forth the origin as being to maintain a "cleancut look" while others point only to a legitimate safety concern. I don't know the truth of the rule's origin. I understand how some could perceive "cleancut look" as a code, if that's the true origin, regardless of the ethnic diversity on the current national high school rule-making board.
The rule is based on the safety of the wrestlers with long hair. An opponent could easily grab hold of longer hair and control the opponent’s head.

Nah, I dont understand why its ok for African Americans to use the word which is so insulting to their own people. Dont you feel the need to respect the centuries of hate, slavery etc?? I also dont understand if a WHITE MAN says the N-word that its an unforgivable offense. Murderers, rapists & all sorts of criminals either pay their debt to society or are forgiven for past indiscretions. But uttering a "word" is not. Thats insulting to me and frankly, Im sick of the term "racism" being wrongly applied (as the catch-all) to so many things in this country, that its real meaning has been diluted from over-use and misuse to gain a political edge in most every circumstance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT