ADVERTISEMENT

What the nation thinks about Franklin...

Maybe you should pick another team. There are only a couple teams with more respected coaches.

Ps. What do the nations fans think about Paterno and psu fans?

You need to either learn how to listen or stop twisting what he said based on your hatred of him. In fact, after the OSU game he said we weren’t elite. So you don’t know much.
And he said they were “great” right? On the cusp of “elite”? I rest my case.

Franklin's Ra, Ra days are over. Recruits have seen his act too many times and our recruiting classes will never keep up with OSU, UM, let alone Wash, Oregon, So Cal, and UCLA. Just look at the portal class Ole Miss in bring in; "10 on defense alone, including the #1 DT in the nation. Getting recruits from TAM, Arlansas, Tenn, Flordia, etc while we keep dicking around with Old Dominion, Kent St, etc. Pathetic!
Franklin and PSU should be very grateful for Manny Diaz over the past two seasons. PSU doesn’t see double digit wins in those seasons without Diaz. James rode Manny’s success for two seasons.

Likewise Franklin and PSU should be grateful for the Moorhead years. Since Moorhead left the offense has been consistently mediocre at best.

You can chalk it up to superior talent in those years all you’d like. Those coaches (Manny and Moorhead) still had to design plays and schemes that best fit their personnel. To which they did an unbelievable job of doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrivener
You need to either learn how to listen or stop twisting what he said based on your hatred of him. In fact, after the OSU game he said we weren’t elite. So you don’t know much.
I don’t hate Franklin. I don’t hate anyone. I do hold people accountable. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant. I’m not an apologist for anyone and never will be. Franklins a good human, I’ve always said that. He’s a lousy head coach (X’s & O’s).

Whether you care what they think or not, could be a decent barometer free self-interest bias we all possess.

And he said they were “great” right? On the cusp of “elite”? I rest my case.
And they were and still are. Back to back ten win seasons is something almost no other schools have done except the elite schools, so I would say that makes us great but not quite elite (in other words, on the cusp)…I rest my case.

I don’t hate Franklin. I don’t hate anyone. I do hold people accountable. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant. I’m not an apologist for anyone and never will be. Franklins a good human, I’ve always said that. He’s a lousy head coach (X’s & O’s).
Yes because college football is littered with lousy head coaches who win 21 games in two years, has five double digit win seasons, a conference championship, and puts a ton of guys in the NFL. Yeah, he’s just awful.

Reactions: PSUSignore
And they were and still are. Back to back ten win seasons is something almost no other schools have done except the elite schools, so I would say that makes us great but not quite elite (in other words, on the cusp)…I rest my case.
I disagree entirely. We haven’t beaten quality competition (outside of last years Rose Bowl) in a long time. We are closer to average/mediocre than we are great/elite. Win totals are just that, win totals. They (win totals) are but statistics, which JF is in love with. They are not reflective of the quality of competition (or lack thereof) that we have beaten.

Reactions: psu00
I disagree entirely. We haven’t beaten quality competition (outside of last years Rose Bowl) in a long time. We are closer to average/mediocre than we are great/elite. Win totals are just that, win totals. They (win totals) are but statistics, which JF is in love with. They are not reflective of the quality of competition (or lack thereof) that we have beaten.
We’re beating the same competition other coaches (outside of the few elite programs) are losing to. Would we be better off going 7-5 but beating OSU or Michigan? Also, most other coaches don’t have two of the top four programs in their division. We beat two ranked teams this year, same as Ohio State.

We’re beating the same competition other coaches (outside of the few elite programs) are losing to. Would we be better off going 7-5 but beating OSU or Michigan? Also, most other coaches don’t have two of the top four programs in their division. We beat two ranked teams this year, same as Ohio State.
Again, your comparison lacks logical merit. I’m perfectly fine going 7-5 7 out 8 years with a championship sprinkled in. The idea that we should be grateful for annually “kissing our sisters” is lunacy. You have to have the bad seasons for motivation toward great seasons. That is absolutely life! You kiss your sister every year with 11 wins and zero chance of a championship. I will not take that approach.

Again, your comparison lacks logical merit. I’m perfectly fine going 7-5 7 out 8 years with a championship sprinkled in. The idea that we should be grateful for annually “kissing our sisters” is lunacy. You have to have the bad seasons for motivation toward great seasons. That is absolutely life! You kiss your sister every year with 11 wins and zero chance of a championship. I will not take that approach.
I have AWS on mute and should be Voltz on it as well. Two total fanboys who crush anyone who is remotely critical of the program, and especially JF. And, since making that 'elite' speech, the actual 'culture' i think has gotten worse. But, that's just me.

I have AWS on mute and should be Voltz on it as well. Two total fanboys who crush anyone who is remotely critical of the program, and especially JF. And, since making that 'elite' speech, the actual 'culture' i think has gotten worse. But, that's just me.

BLAAAAT!!!

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
We’ve taken that approach every year since 1986…why do you expect so much more now?

I won’t put them on mute. It’s important to keep them in check.

Reactions: Psubiomed
I love when posters use “fanboy” to insult someone who supports the program. And be critical all you want, just be consistent about it, that’s all I ask. If you’re going to criticize Franklin or a PSU player for something, don’t overlook it for other coaches or players. I can’t even list all the flash in the pan coaches over the years who this board has touted as being better than Franklin because of one decent season or even one decent win.

I won’t put them on mute. It’s important to keep them in check.
AWS and others take the lazy approach that except for the truly elite coaches like Smart and Saban (and Urban) before he retired, who is better to replace JF? Who are the logical choices?

What his obtuse mind doesn't realize is who was Kirby before he became a champ, who was Dabo? Perhaps Kalen DeBoer wins it all and that dude was the Indiana OC!? LOL. All of these guys are just guys until they breakthrough. The idea that PSU can't do better and who would be an upgrade is lazy and ridiculous -- and actually fits the apathetic part of the fanbase. I really hope our admin doesn't think that way.

Reactions: hoflane
AWS and others take the lazy approach that except for the truly elite coaches like Smart and Saban (and Urban) before he retired, who is better to replace JF? Who are the logical choices?

What his obtuse mind doesn't realize is who was Kirby before he became a champ, who was Dabo? Perhaps Kalen DeBoer wins it all and that dude was the Indiana OC!? LOL. All of these guys are just guys until they breakthrough. The idea that PSU can't do better and who would be an upgrade is lazy and ridiculous -- and actually fits the apathetic part of the fanbase. I really hope our admin doesn't think that way.

Brump!!!

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24

Was Kirby Smart a lock before Georgia hired him?
Was Urban before Ohio State?
Was Saban before LSU?
Was Paterno before Penn State?

To your point, you have to sometimes take a risk in order to improve. I would have loved to take Mike Elko before A&M did. I think that was a truly horrible decision for him as A&M is never going to be elite in the SEC IMO but there's great options out there if you want to take a risk

Our situation gets more like Georgia under Richt every day

Was Kirby Smart a lock before Georgia hired him?
Was Urban before Ohio State?
Was Saban before LSU?
Was Paterno before Penn State?

To your point, you have to sometimes take a risk in order to improve. I would have loved to take Mike Elko before A&M did. I think that was a truly horrible decision for him as A&M is never going to be elite in the SEC IMO but there's great options out there if you want to take a risk

Our situation gets more like Georgia under Richt every day
Absolutely...I mean Gene freaking Chizik won a title at Auburn. But, according to some on here, who could psu get that is a realistic upgrade? Or, why make a change when we are on the cusp? LOL. What a great way to run a business.

It’s called being realistic. I don’t think we will get any better because we haven’t been since 1994. Five star players are not lining up to come to Penn State and some former DC from some other program isn’t going to change that. The only ones who could are guys we can’t get. These are the coaches that players will follow just because of their name.

Absolutely...I mean Gene freaking Chizik won a title at Auburn. But, according to some on here, who could psu get that is a realistic upgrade? Or, why make a change when we are on the cusp? LOL. What a great way to run a business.
I don't think we're "on the cusp" because I think we're stagnant and at the ceiling with Franklin
I'd be writing Urban a blank check tomorrow. Michigan proved there's no rules so let him run things how he wants.
Chris Klieman and Lance Leipold would be on my short list.
And Franklin was my 2nd choice when we hired him--I want Patty Fitz who'd I'd still strongly consider.

I love when posters use “fanboy” to insult someone who supports the program. And be critical all you want, just be consistent about it, that’s all I ask. If you’re going to criticize Franklin or a PSU player for something, don’t overlook it for other coaches or players. I can’t even list all the flash in the pan coaches over the years who this board has touted as being better than Franklin because of one decent season or even one decent win.
I'm a die hard PSU fan, "but" when judging JF's record against UM and OSU, and his record against top 15 teams, he is certainly below average for a coach. Being critical of your coach does not mean you are a PSU hater. We've had one win against OSU since JF has been here in 2016 and that was won on pure luck with a blocked kick. McSorely was running for his life the entire game.

2017 at the Shoe, we blew a 28-10 lead and lost. Defense broke down? maybe, but having the ball on the Buckeyes 7 YL with a first down and run "3 RPO"s" and not gain an inch was pathetic. JF was content to kick a FG and we lost.

How many times are we going to be 10-2 with loses from OSU and UM. Fans should not be content with that record and a HC like JF should be on the carpet just like Harbaugh reportedly was at UM. And, he changed things in order to win the big games with less talent than OSU!

I don't think we're "on the cusp" because I think we're stagnant and at the ceiling with Franklin
I'd be writing Urban a blank check tomorrow. Michigan proved there's no rules so let him run things how he wants.
Chris Klieman and Lance Leipold would be on my short list.
And Franklin was my 2nd choice when we hired him--I want Patty Fitz who'd I'd still strongly consider.
Leipold I think is getting a bit too old and may not have the appeal walking into living rooms. But, Kleiman certainly is a good coach -- does less with more, ala Whittingham. PSU won't touch Fitz now.

I'm a die hard PSU fan, "but" when judging JF's record against UM and OSU, and his record against top 15 teams, he is certainly below average for a coach. Being critical of your coach does not mean you are a PSU hater. We've had one win against OSU since JF has been here in 2016 and that was won on pure luck with a blocked kick. McSorely was running for his life the entire game.

2017 at the Shoe, we blew a 28-10 lead and lost. Defense broke down? maybe, but having the ball on the Buckeyes 7 YL with a first down and run "3 RPO"s" and not gain an inch was pathetic. JF was content to kick a FG and we lost.

How many times are we going to be 10-2 with loses from OSU and UM. Fans should not be content with that record and a HC like JF should be on the carpet just like Harbaugh reportedly was at UM. And, he changed things in order to win the big games with less talent than OSU!
Careful, you are about to ignite the James-bots, aka fan boys, who will slaughter your logic by asking who would be better for psu? And, that we should be happy where we are.

How long have you been a PSU fan? If it’s any length of time, you should be used to it. And it’s one thing to be critical of the coach, but to blame the coach for every single loss is ridiculous.

Careful, you are about to ignite the James-bots, aka fan boys, who will slaughter your logic by asking who would be better for psu? And, that we should be happy where we are.
We should all be much happier changing coaches every three years because they don’t live up to our lofty expectations. Or we can long for the good old days of winning a NC every other year. And I’d rather be a “fanboy” than a “fantasy boy”.

Why will you be better? You lose a lot on the OLine. Your QB may be better, but ours may be as well. So your younger players will improve, but ours won’t? Did WVU suddenly jump into the top 15 in recruiting? If you think it was “mystique” that won the game for PSU this year, you might need some help. WVU will be a good team next year, but so will Penn State. I said this year’s game was going to be more competitive than people thought because I thought WVU would be better than they were being given credit for. Next year’s game will be competitive as well, and WVU could win, but I’ve been thinking that for the last 50 years and it’s only happened twice, so there’s that.
On the OL we lose Nestor and Frazier. I know you play the big two but you will not run into an environment like you will in Mtown next year.

On the OL we lose Nestor and Frazier. I know you play the big two but you will not run into an environment like you will in Mtown next year.
9 of the 14 stadiums in the Big hold as many or more fans than Mountaineer Field not to mention there will be a ton of PSU fans there. So I think we’ll be okay from that stand point. It’s going to come down to how our new coordinators do and if we can get some receivers playing better.

iDK, we’ve been there before in front of the toothless crazies several times and usually always left the a win.

We should all be much happier changing coaches every three years because they don’t live up to our lofty expectations. Or we can long for the good old days of winning a NC every other year. And I’d rather be a “fanboy” than a “fantasy boy”.
Yeah I hear ya. I actually think Franklin is a top coach - he just has problems with two teams.

But the one to really keep an eye on is OSU firing Ryan Day in 2024. He has a 1-3 record against Michigan and something like 1-6 (I think) against top 5 teams. Crazy that he's never lost more than 2 games in a year but he can't win the big games. Heck, he had a 14 point, 4th quarter lead against Georgia last year and blew that - and probably a NC.

But here's the difference between Franklin and Day - OSU AD - who hired Day is and is a Day supporter - retires in a few months and you can bet the new AD will be feeling the pressure to do something about Day if he doesn't beat Michigan in Columbus and have a solid showing in the Playoffs - bet on it. They are pi$$ed in Columbus.

9 of the 14 stadiums in the Big hold as many or more fans than Mountaineer Field not to mention there will be a ton of PSU fans there. So I think we’ll be okay from that stand point. It’s going to come down to how our new coordinators do and if we can get some receivers playing better.
They do not make the noise we do. Boring. I've been to a few. The Big 2 beat you every year. What is there for them to get excited about? We have not had a chance to beat you at home since 92. You are going to be shocked. Hope our secondary plays well. I think we can take you to the wire.

They do not make the noise we do. Boring. I've been to a few. The Big 2 beat you every year. What is there for them to get excited about? We have not had a chance to beat you at home since 92. You are going to be shocked. Hope our secondary plays well. I think we can take you to the wire.
What QB are you getting in the portal to make that happen?

• Haha
Reactions: WV Bruno
And Maryland gets fired up to beat us every year, yet they almost never do. Motivation isn’t always enough. WVU has always been fired up to beat PSU, but pretty much never does. It could happen, but how we played this season has nothing to do with it. Remember, you guys were better this year than you were last year and we were worse this year than we were last year, but we beat you. So you being better next year doesn’t automatically point to a win.

Reactions: Nick's Name
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT