ADVERTISEMENT

What temp do you keep your thermostat set?

I prefer 66-68. My wife wants it 72. My parents keep theirs at 74.

I sleep with the window open in the winter and 3 fans going. Summer time it’s tough.

68. I have in-floor-heat so it stays constant. Hard to keep changing temps during a 24 hour period with in-floor-heat.

Scheduled timings vary by day:
69 during the day (if present)
64 at night
65 during the day when we're gone (would do lower if not for dogs)

Reactions: Sharkies
69 all the time. I'd set it lower but the wife complains even though she has an electric pad and blanket on her side of the bed. She thinks the toilet seat gets too cold.

Reactions: nclion70
68, my lucky number and number in high school. But wife over rides my commands and keeps it at 70

Reactions: Sharkies
This has been the source of an on-going debate in our house. Ours is at 68 when we're home and 58 at night and when we're away during the day. I have read numerous sources that say if you're going to be away for at least 8 hours, turn the thermostat down 10-15 degrees. Our gas bill for January 2019 was $25 cheaper than January 2018. Of course, not a perfect comparison because the weather last year may have been colder but still, not bad v

69 all the time. I'd set it lower but the wife complains even though she has an electric pad and blanket on her side of the bed. She thinks the toilet seat gets too cold.

I’ll tell you something. If there was one luxury item I could have it would be a heated toilet seat. There are nights that I hover over that thing like a UFO before finally making the move to sit on it.

We bought a very old house with oil heat in November, and until we can afford a wood burning stove insert for our fireplace we both agreed to dress in layers.

It keeps the in laws away.
You have me by a degree, Pirate. 62 and burn wood in the room we spend most of our time in. Wear a sweatshirt and you're fine.
A blessing and a problem is our house was built very airtight. We have a hard time keeping the moisture levels DOWN in the winter. We have run dehumidifiers to try and keep up. Lot of moisture on the windows with negative temps.

OL

59 when I'm not home, 62 at night, 65-66 when I'm home when heat is needed; High 70s in the heat of the summer but I have a window AC unit that I blast at night to keep it cool when sleeping.

After the last couple nights, I'm amazed that you still have a wife.
Its genius. Do you see what he's done here? Wife has to stay warm somehow. I'll bet he gets more action than any married guy on this site (not cheating on his wife).

tenor.gif

Reactions: razpsu
Winter is 68 day and 62 night. Summer is a bit more complex as I try to have the compressor run hardest about four in the morning so I draw down the temperature in the house overnight when it’s most efficient. Then most days in the summer the compressor won’t run again until evening and then only a little to cool things a bit before bed.

Put in a Nest thermostat a couple years ago to monitor and manage things (home/away - I still set the schedule) and it has saved at least $300 every summer in electricity. No real difference in winter tho as the program is the same and it’s forced air gas so it’s “cheap” anyway.

You have me by a degree, Pirate. 62 and burn wood in the room we spend most of our time in. Wear a sweatshirt and you're fine.
A blessing and a problem is our house was built very airtight. We have a hard time keeping the moisture levels DOWN in the winter. We have run dehumidifiers to try and keep up. Lot of moisture on the windows with negative temps.

OL
Same problem with moisture in the winter .Keep temp at steady 68 and keep blinds and draps open for better circulation.Grew up with radiators and much prefer it over hot air systems.Use good quality filters and change them often and turn the humidifier off.

Reactions: OhioLion
68 day.............68 night
Master bedroom 65 day....62 night. I love sleeping in the cold.

Rest of main floor 68 day...62 night.

My kids have their own thermostats in their rooms as well. Not sure what they have them set to.

I will manually override and raise the temp to maybe 70 during the day once in a while if I'm feeling cold.

66 day -- 62 night. At night I keep an infrared heater in our upstairs hallway set at 70. I have two 275 gallon oil tanks. I get two 250 gallon deliveries per year. Also have a propane fireplace with a 100 lb tank. Usually get that topped off every 4 or 5 weeks. Triple threat heating.

68 in the areas I spend time in (heated by boiler) during the day when my wife is working, and 64 in the rest of the house until my wife gets home and turns it up to 68 as well. Then I turn the boiler off when I go to bed, with the rest of the house at 63..... If you have a wife it's her job to keep you warm during the night!! :D

Reactions: brupsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT