ADVERTISEMENT

What McQueary heard versus what he saw

Aoshiro

Mar 8, 2012
Interesting piece on NPR this morning.

"You hear anywhere from 20 to 100 times faster than you see," Horowitz says, "so that everything that you perceive with your ears is coloring every other perception you have, and every conscious thought you have." Sound, he says, "gets in so fast that it modifies all the other input and sets the stage for it."

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-.../how-sound-shaped-the-evolution-of-your-brain

"You hear anywhere from 20 to 100 times faster than you see," Horowitz says, "so that everything that you perceive with your ears is coloring every other perception you have, and every conscious thought you have." Sound, he says, "gets in so fast that it modifies all the other input and sets the stage for it."

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-.../how-sound-shaped-the-evolution-of-your-brain

That is surprising to me and he has to be talking about inner-body electro-mechanical functions operating faster for hearing, because this most certainly does not apply to things at a distance. What we see travels to us at the speed of light. What we hear travels to us at the speed of sound. Once these inputs reach the body, there may be a differential in processing time - that may be true, I assume a doctor would know - but I'm skeptical about the multiples cited because it would depend on the distance of the object making the sound and the further away if is, light is going to get there much quicker than sound.

That is why you see lightning before you hear the thunderclap that originated at the same place. Another example is when you sit way up high in a stadium and you see the ball kicked but hear the thump a split second later.

th

That is surprising to me and he has to be talking about inner-body electro-mechanical functions operating faster for hearing, because this most certainly does not apply to things at a distance. What we see travels to us at the speed of light. What we hear travels to us at the speed of sound. Once these inputs reach the body, there may be a differential in processing time - that may be true, I assume a doctor would know - but I'm skeptical about the multiples cited because it would depend on the distance of the object making the sound and the further away if is, light is going to get there much quicker than sound.

I think that you're confusing two different things. The article is about how quickly your brain processes auditory versus visual information, not how quickly that information gets to you.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bytir
That is why you see lightning before you hear the thunderclap that originated at the same place. Another example is when you sit way up high in a stadium and you see the ball kicked but hear the thump a split second later.
you must have gone to a branch campus... speed of sound vs speed of light.. not a processing issue...

I think that you're confusing two different things. The article is about how quickly your brain processes auditory versus visual information, not how quickly that information gets to you.

Nope, didn't confuse that - re-read my respond. However, it would be the total amount of time that passes as to which our body perceives first even if inter-body electro-mechanical system is faster for hearing. IOW, distance would matter greatly as to which your body perceives first - sight of an object or the noise it is making. For instance, we would see a train a long way away before we heard it's horn even if blowing horn....we would then hear an explosion of noise as it gets closer and then diametric opposite would happen as it passes...noise would fade quickly but we would keep seeing train a long, long time (e.g., the Doppler effect). But distance of object making noise would absolutely make a huge difference as to which your body perceives first - the sight of the object or noise object is making.

This is echoic memory vs iconic memory. Echoic memory (hearing) is stored for slightly longer than iconic memory (visual). Auditory info is retained for only about 3-4 seconds unles it is rehearsed. Iconic ( visual) memory lasts shorter than echoic memory. Both are types of sensory memory, not long term, so they are temporary and fade quickly. Hmmm, so 10 years later the "remembered" info helped lead to this whole fiasco!

Nope, didn't confuse that - re-read my respond. However, it would be the total amount of time that passes as to which our body perceives first even if inter-body electro-mechanical system is faster for hearing. IOW, distance would matter greatly as to which your body perceives first - sight of an object or the noise it is making. For instance, we would see a train a long way away before we heard it's horn even if blowing horn....we would then hear an explosion of noise as it gets closer and then diametric opposite would happen as it passes...noise would fade quickly but we would keep seeing train a long, long time (e.g., the Doppler effect). But distance of object making noise would absolutely make a huge difference as to which your body perceives first - the sight of the object or noise object is making.

Again - you are posting stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with article that I posted, which is about how the human brain processes sound.
Is there some reason that you are commenting on an article that you can't even be bothered to read?

Yeah, just like you hear the sucker punch way before you ever saw it coming.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I tried duplicating McQueary at my house in 2011. Couldn't be done.

I had my shower blasting. Had a friend sit in the living room with the bedoom door shut (master bath). I then began clapping my hands together increasing in force every 5 seconds.

I told my buddy to come in once he heard the slapping sounds.

He came in when I was slapping my hands as forcibly as I possibly could.

So, do you "really" think McQ heard Sandusky raping a boy OVER showers running?

Who walks into a public shower and initially thinks that anyway?

Reactions: SteveMasters
I tried duplicating McQueary at my house in 2011. Couldn't be done.

I had my shower blasting. Had a friend sit in the living room with the bedoom door shut (master bath). I then began clapping my hands together increasing in force every 5 seconds.

I told my buddy to come in once he heard the slapping sounds.

He came in when I was slapping my hands as forcibly as I possibly could.

So, do you "really" think McQ heard Sandusky raping a boy OVER showers running?

Who walks into a public shower and initially thinks that anyway?

What McQuear really heard was his own fist pumping under the locker room mirror.

Somehow that got twisted into JoePa should have done more.

And that was used to screw Penn State out of 350 million dollars.

Which leaves me f'd up the a$$.

Reactions: Marshall30
If MMcQ heard the sounds (laughter, rhythmic slapping) he described in PSU FB coach's showers late at night, wouldn't he MOST LIKELY have expected to see a coach/GA & a female coed, & peek in just so he he rib the guy the next day at practice?

Then he saw whatever, not what he expected, didn't compute, brain fried.

When he talked to Dad & Dr D he's still asking himself internally - "what if it was a boyish-looking freshman girl?" "sound's crazy!" "but so is it if it's a boy"

Still, the sounds and his imagination (from sounds) frame his brief glance. He was expecting sex (not with a boy & not Sandusky). Whatever he saw didn't exactly fit what his mind already expected to see. His mind makes it fit the best he can.

Reactions: TMS1950

Does anyone actually believe anything that he said? There cannot be a more unreliable "witness" alive today.

Does anyone actually believe anything that he said? There cannot be a more unreliable "witness" alive today.

That's an amazing theory! He made all this up entirely? Maybe he saw a murder in the showers but downplayed it to protect Jerry!

LOL.

That explains why he slammed his locker & hurried away & also why V2 wouldn't come forward.

And the hidden Freeh files will prove it!

Kinda don't think so. Unreliable witness, yes. But for reasons I outlined above.

you must have gone to a branch campus... speed of sound vs speed of light.. not a processing issue...
Who said it s a processing issue? When a lightning bolt flashes a mile from your location, you see it way before you hear the thunderclap. It is for the reason you stated but Bushy already clarified that in his post directly before mine (speed of light vs sound). You must be a genius engineer who cannot read or think critically. This is a fact regardless of which campus you attended. I love PSU and think our academic reputation is solid and well deserved but I have encountered a few imbeciles who have graduated from our institution. Assuming you graduated, you have joined that very exclusive club!

Reactions: step.eng69
If MMcQ heard the sounds (laughter, rhythmic slapping) he described in PSU FB coach's showers late at night, wouldn't he MOST LIKELY have expected to see a coach/GA & a female coed, & peek in just so he he rib the guy the next day at practice?

Then he saw whatever, not what he expected, didn't compute, brain fried.

When he talked to Dad & Dr D he's still asking himself internally - "what if it was a boyish-looking freshman girl?" "sound's crazy!" "but so is it if it's a boy"

Still, the sounds and his imagination (from sounds) frame his brief glance. He was expecting sex (not with a boy & not Sandusky). Whatever he saw didn't exactly fit what his mind already expected to see. His mind makes it fit the best he can.
I agree, he expected to see the other GA with his GF. If someone can sleuth a pic of the other GA's GF at the time, that might explain a lot.

Reactions: NittanyAmerica

It's not the speed at which you process visual & audio input so much as how our brains process the info that's important in regards to McQueary. Often what you hear can influence how you identify what you see & visa versa. It's illustrated very well in the McGurk Effect seen here:

Reactions: ChiTownLion
My own personal take on MM is that he is a pathological liar. I don't believe anything about him. I don't believe that he had a gambling problem. I don't believe that he was abused as a child (as it was alleged he told the WR's). I don't believe his golf handicap. He is a serial cheat.

He appears to exagerate everything in his life to improve people's opinion of him.

It is because of these character traits that I believe that he saw JS in the shower with a kid and proceeded to tell people that JS was having intercourse with that kid, and also because of these traits no one took him serious and when pressed for an official version he said it wasn't sex but very sexual.

Who said it s a processing issue? When a lightning bolt flashes a mile from your location, you see it way before you hear the thunderclap. It is for the reason you stated but Bushy already clarified that in his post directly before mine (speed of light vs sound). You must be a genius engineer who cannot read or think critically. This is a fact regardless of which campus you attended. I love PSU and think our academic reputation is solid and well deserved but I have encountered a few imbeciles who have graduated from our institution. Assuming you graduated, you have joined that very exclusive club!

Sound and light? In Zen you can see with your ears and hear with your eyes.

"Master, master, how can this be?"

"Simple my son, shut the F up !!"

With a good whack up side the head to drive it home...

Sound and light? In Zen you can see with your ears and hear with your eyes.

"Master, master, how can this be?"

"Simple my son, shut the F up !!"

With a good whack up side the head to drive it home...

This will be my guiding force throughout the entire weekend! Thanks!

What would you assume if you walked into a locking room and heard a rhythmic slapping sound? Personally I wouldn't know what to think unless the slapping sound was accompanied by groans (like adult sex) or by screams of pain (like assault). McQueary didn't say those things. In fact McQueary said that the boy didn't appear to be in distress.

Reactions: Mixolydian
My own personal take on MM is that he is a pathological liar. I don't believe anything about him. I don't believe that he had a gambling problem. I don't believe that he was abused as a child (as it was alleged he told the WR's). I don't believe his golf handicap. He is a serial cheat.

He appears to exagerate everything in his life to improve people's opinion of him.

It is because of these character traits that I believe that he saw JS in the shower with a kid and proceeded to tell people that JS was having intercourse with that kid, and also because of these traits no one took him serious and when pressed for an official version he said it wasn't sex but very sexual.

Regarding your hypothesis: How do you, then, explain - BOTH - his dad and Doctor friend that Friday evening? He told them ONE story and then told others (through the years) JS was raping a boy?

I ain't buying it.

What would you assume if you walked into a locking room and heard a rhythmic slapping sound? Personally I wouldn't know what to think unless the slapping sound was accompanied by groans (like adult sex) or by screams of pain (like assault). McQueary didn't say those things. In fact McQueary said that the boy didn't appear to be in distress.

Well, does the Lasch building have a "rep" for sex in the showers? Can anyone confirm that ex-players or current players, for example, were banging chicks in the shower and this was common?

If not, then why would anyone jump to that conclusion upon hearing sounds? Any sounds?

Well, does the Lasch building have a "rep" for sex in the showers? Can anyone confirm that ex-players or current players, for example, were banging chicks in the shower and this was common?

If not, then why would anyone jump to that conclusion upon hearing sounds? Any sounds?

Because, IMO of course, the movie he just got done watching wasn't Rudy while home alone on a Friday night. Power of suggestion. Just sayin'...

Reactions: myronpsufootball
Ziggy my son, I love ya, but today you're in a real bitchy mood....so I went to ClubMed and other sources to learn: sensory processing wasn't worth the paper it's written, processing the human carcass is a wonderful treat...
so get the grill out and invite eyebugs for the weekend, make friends or "stew"...and watch the game together

Sensory Processing Disorder
In this article
Other Processing Disorders
Processing the Human Carcass
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/e-sermons/butcher.html

by Bob Arson

“Make a cut around the anus, or "bung", and tie it off with twine. This also prevents contamination, keeping the body from voiding any material left in the bowel. With a saw, cut through the pubic bone, or "aitch". The lower body is now completely open, and you can begin to pull the organ masses (large and small intestines, kidneys, liver, stomach) out and cut them away from the back wall of the body.”

Last edited:
Ziggy my son, I love ya, but today you're in a real bitchy mood....so I went to ClubMed and other sources to learn: sensory processing wasn't worth the paper it's written, processing the human carcass is a wonderful treat...
so get the grill out and invite eyebugs for the weekend, make friends or "stew"...and watch the game together

Sensory Processing Disorder
In this article
Other Processing Disorders
Processing the Human Carcass (MHO-A Very good read)
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/e-sermons/butcher.html

by Bob Arson

“Make a cut around the anus, or "bung", and tie it off with twine. This also prevents contamination, keeping the body from voiding any material left in the bowel. With a saw, cut through the pubic bone, or "aitch". The lower body is now completely open, and you can begin to pull the organ masses (large and small intestines, kidneys, liver, stomach) out and cut them away from the back wall of the body.”
Thanks so much Step. Now my browsing history is loaded with that crap! :cool: Come to think of it, I was a pretty moody kid. Hmmmmmm! The processing of the human carcass article is going out in a massive group e-mail immediately upon my arrival home (and cracking an IPA). That is outstanding stuff! This will be my guiding force for the entire weekend!

I don't know what Joe ever saw in this liar. He made him director of recruiting which was a huge lapse in judgement, IMO. This liar was the interface to most of the recruits for almost 8 years. God only knows what else he is lying about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT