ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of wine with the turkey this year?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
My wife prefers a Sauvignon Blanc, but I’d like to try a red to match the richness of the turkey. I’ve got some nice pino noirs, a red Sancerre, and some Shiraz or Shiraz Cap blends and a few riojas. A fallback white would also be a Prosceco or a rose. A any suggestions from our AKB of amateur sommeliers? Thanks

Last edited:
Ever since wife and I went to Italy in 2012, specifically the Verrazzano winery, we've pretty much only drank Verrazzano Chianti Classico. That'll be the libation for tomorrow...

Reactions: N&B4PSU and LionJim
I grabbed an Orange Wine specifically made from Trebbiano Abruzzeze, Malvasia di Candia.
No fricken clue if it works but I love how it tastes and it seemed like a good choice!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
My wife prefers a Sauvignon Blanc, but I’d like to try a red to match the richness of the turkey. I’ve got some nice pino noirs, a red Sancerre, and some Shiraz or Shiraz Cap blends and a few riojas. A fallback white would also be a Prosceco or a rose. A any suggestions from our AKB of amateur sommeliers? Thanks
Pinotage

On the Sauv Blanc, we’ll be enjoying a bottle of Kenzo Estate Asatsuyu. For a red over the holidays, we’ll enjoy Fleury Estate Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon or for something lighter a Kosta Browne Pinot Noir.

Reactions: cjrugger and Nitwit
On the Sauv Blanc, we’ll be enjoying a bottle of Kenzo Estate Asatsuyu. For a red over the holidays, we’ll enjoy Fleury Estate Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon or for something lighter a Kosta Browne Pinot Noir.
If you get a Pinot Noir, get one from Oregon If you go w/ a Sauv Blanc , get one from New Zealand.

Reactions: cjrugger
I have Sanford Pinot Noir. It was the winery featured in the movie Sideways and we visited it in Solvang Ca. In Rita Hills. The 2016 is rated by Wine Enthusiast at 93 and it sells for around $45 a bottle. I think I’ve had it in my wine cooler for about 2 years. They’ve since been bought out but the vineyards are still there producing. I’m going to go with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU and garw
Bought a commerative bottle of Conundrum White Blend made for this year......tasted really good and they were selling it in the larger bottles for the price of their standard size bottles of their Chardanay about $14 / bottle......really good. For Red have two bottles from my go to California Winery.....Frank Family Cab......priced around $25 / bottle which is higher than I usually go.....but for Thanksgiving.....what the hell........

Mrs KG likes a moscato, as she prefers a sweeter wine. Bartenura in a cobalt blue bottle is really high quality.

I prefer a good French Cotes de Rhône...​
QXHE4jZJTeGYSnkC6gfFTA_pl_375x500.png

Ordinarily, a red pinot noir or a white gewurtztraminer or Riesling are my go to thanksgiving wines. Both go well with my premeal peanut soup.

However, this year I’m going to go off the board and drink a barboursville octagon 2014. Merlot blend. May be a little big for turkey but it’ll still be great.
If you get a Pinot Noir, get one from Oregon If you go w/ a Sauv Blanc , get one from New Zealand.
Ken Wright Pinot is awesome. Or in the unlikely event you can get your hands on any, soliste Pinot or Syrah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit
Gotta go with: Gewurztraminer. Only time all year we drink a bottle with a meal. Perfect with a giant Turkey dinner. Followed by a Sicilian Nero d’avola with dessert.

After that port or cognac.

I am a bit of an oenophile, especially with the red wines. IMHO, pinot noir is too "thin" to stand up to turkey and heavy side dishes. You need a more robust wine - maybe a good zinfandel, syrah, even a cabernet sauvignon. Some of the Italian barolo's would work well or a really good super tuscan. With turkey, I would avoid the white wines. Turkey, especially with gravy would be too overwhelming for a white. Just my thoughts.

Like the way you think CF! Appreciative if you share your favs please. Thanks

I rarely spend more than $40 for a bottle of wine unless I REALLY like it. Here are a few at different price points:

$40 - Grgich Hills Zinfandel , Old Ghost from Klinker Brick
$25 - Oak Ridge
$15 - St. Francis, Dry Creek

Also, don’t be afraid to serve it slightly chilled. Throw it in the fridge 30 minutes before you serve it. Decanting is not needed.

Moosehead Lager. Still made in Canada unlike the sellout Molsen.

I grew up outside of Buffalo NY, spent a bunch of time in Canada back in the late 80s. Molson Golden was my beer of choice.

Spent a weekend in Toronto last year, and asked the waitress for a Molson Golden. She said "whats that?". i said it was the most popular beer in Canada. Guess I was wrong.

Is beer a wine? Because I’ll be having several of those tomorrow, starting with a morning Guinness and rolling on from there.

I grew up outside of Buffalo NY, spent a bunch of time in Canada back in the late 80s. Molson Golden was my beer of choice.

Spent a weekend in Toronto last year, and asked the waitress for a Molson Golden. She said "whats that?". i said it was the most popular beer in Canada. Guess I was wrong.
My favorite was Molson Canadian. Sellouts.

You guys need to try some more premium Italians- Amarone and Brunello are both delicious wines, though might be better suited for a red meat.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT