ADVERTISEMENT

What is/ was the age of the oldest person you’ve ever known?

My aunt will be 101 this year. Also had another great aunt that lived to 100. I remember talking to her about the sinking of the Titanic and seeing her first car. She said the when the car approached all the kids ran and hid because they were afraid.

Reactions: bplionfan
When I was a kid we used to go to the annual copperhead hunt in York County. One of the exhibitors was Phares Hertzog who, the last time is saw him there, was 102. He lived to 104.

Reactions: bplionfan
My late wife’s grandmother (known as Nana by everyone) just celebrated her 109th birthday. She is the oldest person in Chester County. We are trying to figure out where she ranks in the state.

We couldn’t celebrate with her this year. Looking forward to a big blowout for her 110th.

I had an aunt that lived to be 103. Outlived all of her kids and a number of her grand kids. Spent her last years living in a nursing home where one of her daughters also lived until her death. I think it is possible to live too long for your own good/happiness.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
My Father in Law was 90 when he passed. I don't think I've ever personally known anyone older. He was a pretty fit fellow into his 80s.

...I was 88 yesterday...
...my wife’s uncle lived to be 107...
...her aunt lived to be 105...
...her mother was in her late 90’s and in good health when she told us,”I don’t wanna live to be 100 - that’s really old”...
...she refused to eat any solid food after Thanksgiving and died in December 2010 - one month before she would have reached 100 ... she did it her way...

Last edited:
Reactions: gregoryj95
When I was in high school, late 1980's, I had the opportunity to sit and have a conversation with a woman who was living on the Pine Ridge Reservation when the Wounded Knee Massacre happened. She was a small child back then, and close to 100 when we spoke. Nobody was exactly sure of when she was born, but good lord was she old. There's more to the story of course, but I'll never forget listening to her perspective of what life on the reservation was like after that, as we sat there having a conversation in the southwest corner of South Dakota. True story

Reactions: creamery freak
My wife and I minister to Miss Emma Hughes every Sunday. She just turned 107 in March. I am blessed that she considers my wife and me as her kids. She cracks us up all of the time. She loves to tell us that she doesn't want any white stuff in her coffee... She says I want it b-l-a-c-k just like me. What a blessing she has been in our lives. We miss seeing her and pray she is here when we are able to go visit her again.

This article was from last year.
https://triblive.com/local/north-hi...th-birthday-gives-valuable-advice-about-life/
106 years old, ManorCare-Health Services North Hills nursing home resident Emma Hughes has a zest for life.

Her family threw her a birthday party March 2 at the facility in Ross.

“(She) still has her right mind,” said her granddaughter, Linda Hughes, 59, of McKees Rocks. “People drop off pieces to her (to quilt).

“She’ll start talking to you (and) have to tell you how she grew up.”

Born in Georgia in 1913, Hughes moved to Western Pennsylvania in the 1970s to be with her family. She lived in Pittsburgh’s Manchester neighborhood before going to the home in 2011.

Long widowed, she had four children, one of whom is still living. Richard Hughes of Pittsburgh’s North Side will be 87 on March 15, Linda Hughes said.

She has 30 grandchildren and more than 30 great grandchildren.

Hughes, the oldest living member of her family, loves to quilt and recently has been “quilting up a storm,” nursing home spokeswoman Stephanie Howell said.

Linda Hughes said her grandmother, who receives hospice care three times a week, made her a quilt a few years ago that she uses on a queen-size bed. Despite arthritis, she sews by hand.

“How she gets that needle through, I don’t know,” Linda Hughes said.

Religion plays a big role in Emma’s life.

Linda Hughes said her grandmother hums old spiritual hymns while sitting by a window, and members of her church come to pray with her every Wednesday. “Amazing Grace” is her favorite song.

Linda Hughes said her grandmother gave her the following advice: depend on yourself, but follow God, that if you do not have God, you do not have strength, love yourself and your family, and if there is anything you can correct, correct it. Emma believes every generation is weaker and wiser.

“She taught me a whole lot,” Linda Hughes said.

Emma likes to eat and has a fondness for Southern food, Wholey’s fish sandwiches and hot dogs with tartar sauce.

Linda Hughes said her grandmother does not drink or smoke, but did use snuff, or smokeless tobacco, before entering the home.

She hopes to go to Georgia one more time.

Howell said Hughes is the oldest resident of the 200-bed skilled nursing facility, although it is becoming more common to have 100-year-plus people under its care.

ManorCare administrator Beth Runser said the home is lucky to have Hughes.

“The stories she shares with our staff are invaluable life lessons (and) truly a gift to all of us,” Runser said.

emma.jpg

Jesus my Lord and Savior. About 2,000 years old give or take and still going strong .

The oldest person I have known is Roy, he's 90. What makes Roy amazing is he still skis with us. He no longer does bumps but he can keep up with anybody on a cruiser. You would never guess he's 90. Doesn't look 90, doesn't sound 90. I tell him he's my hero. I've told my wife I'm going to beat out Roy. When I'm 90 I'm going to do bumps when she rolls my urn down a bump run.

When I was in high school, late 1980's, I had the opportunity to sit and have a conversation with a woman who was living on the Pine Ridge Reservation when the Wounded Knee Massacre happened. She was a small child back then, and close to 100 when we spoke. Nobody was exactly sure of when she was born, but good lord was she old. There's more to the story of course, but I'll never forget listening to her perspective of what life on the reservation was like after that, as we sat there having a conversation in the southwest corner of South Dakota. True story
I’ve been to pine ridge reservation. My son use to work for a church ministry in Fort Thompson SD. The Lakota tribe

Reactions: gregoryj95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT