ADVERTISEMENT

What is the story with Dez Holmes?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
Based on his high school video highlights, I would have bet that he would become a serious road grader for us. He had size, power, footwork, and tenacity. I don't pretend to be a scout but I would think that what was obvious to me should have translated somehow.

Reactions: BBrown
Based on his high school video highlights, I would have bet that he would become a serious road grader for us. He had size, power, footwork, and tenacity. I don't pretend to be a scout but I would think that what was obvious to me should have translated somehow.
He did play a few snaps against Auburn. I think coach Trautwein is still trying to figure out where the interior OL pieces fit in. Here are 2 other questions:
How about Sal Wormley, of whom we heard some good comments from the coaching staff during camp?
What happened to Anthony Whiggan after he struggled against Wisconsin, back on "D" squad?

He did play a few snaps against Auburn. I think coach Trautwein is still trying to figure out where the interior OL pieces fit in. Here are 2 other questions:
How about Sal Wormley, of whom we heard some good comments from the coaching staff during camp?
What happened to Anthony Whiggan after he struggled against Wisconsin, back on "D" squad?
Wasn't Wormley one of the players that has been mysteriously missing with Ellis, Lovett, and Beamon?

I think that both Holmes and Wormley at least look for physical than Wilson and Effner......which may help in the running game. Wormley seems to be in somewhat of the doghouse. Holmes I have seen playing on ST but they may not be as good in the pass game.

The pass blocking was excellent.

I think that both Holmes and Wormley at least look for physical than Wilson and Effner......which may help in the running game. Wormley seems to be in somewhat of the doghouse. Holmes I have seen playing on ST but they may not be as good in the pass game.

Was nice to see Effner in at LG along with the Harvard kid (68). We certainly don't rotate much on the OL or DL compared with past seasons. I'm looking forward to next week where we should get to see a lot of play from backups such as Cole Brevard, Coziah Izzard, Golden Israel-Achumba, Amin Vanover, Nick Dawkins, Olu Fashanu, & Ibrahim Traore in the second half.

Reactions: 19333lion
This years opening schedule was the toughest I can ever remember with two ranked teams in the first 3 games. PSU needed to find it's most reliable OL-men, so far, and use them as much as possible. If we had an easier early schedule, like Michigan, PSU would have probably used more lineman.

I know that this will not happen......and I do trust Troutwein....but would love to see if Fatormah could move to OG in the off season and play Guard next year. I want a 310 pound athlete who benches close to 500 and squats close to 700 pounds pushing bodies backwards....

As teams start seeing our outside short passing schemes they are going to have to move some bodies away from the box to cover that play.....Washington, Jahan and KLS are all different in how they run that quick screen pass, but all very effective. By moving bodies outside of the box.....break through the line of scrimmage and big plays can occur. The quick screens really are in a sense a running play.

As an aside: I watched the Ravens offense last night and they have a bunch of maulers upfront who are pulling to the right....pulling left......tackles pulling along with a running QB by the end of the game the Chiefs were getting tired of getting hit by the Oline.... I did not think that an OL could take over a game in 2021...... obviously with a lot of help to the oline with Lamar's running ability.

I know that this will not happen......and I do trust Troutwein....but would love to see if Fatormah could move to OG in the off season and play Guard next year. I want a 310 pound athlete who benches close to 500 and squats close to 700 pounds pushing bodies backwards....

As teams start seeing our outside short passing schemes they are going to have to move some bodies away from the box to cover that play.....Washington, Jahan and KLS are all different in how they run that quick screen pass, but all very effective. By moving bodies outside of the box.....break through the line of scrimmage and big plays can occur. The quick screens really are in a sense a running play.

As an aside: I watched the Ravens offense last night and they have a bunch of maulers upfront who are pulling to the right....pulling left......tackles pulling along with a running QB by the end of the game the Chiefs were getting tired of getting hit by the Oline.... I did not think that an OL could take over a game in 2021...... obviously with a lot of help to the oline with Lamar's running ability.
I agree with you Soupy about Mulbah, would love to see him at G. Strictly from a depth perspective, it may be a better path to playing time. We have young DTs like Izzard, Brevard, Vanover, Beamon (if he gets his act together), with Artis and the kid from FL on the way. All of those kids are probably better pure DT prospects. But at G, we have Wormley, Dawkins, Israel-Achumba... those are the only young interior OL I can think of off hand.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
also what is the story with say a guy like Fred Hansard?...especially against heavy run teams like Wisconsin and Auburn...i haven't seen him at all...maybe he just got beat out by younger/other guys...thanks

Was nice to see Effner in at LG along with the Harvard kid (68). We certainly don't rotate much on the OL or DL compared with past seasons. I'm looking forward to next week where we should get to see a lot of play from backups such as Cole Brevard, Coziah Izzard, Golden Israel-Achumba, Amin Vanover, Nick Dawkins, Olu Fashanu, & Ibrahim Traore in the second half.
Interesting. I thought we've been rotating the DL a good bit. 🤷‍♂️

Yea the Ravens OL yesterday was a complete 180 from the week before. Villanuevo looked really good yesterday and he was a turnstile the previous week. That was a good win for the Ravens.
I wonder if John H. told Greg Roman to put the RPO back in the offense because it looked different than the Raiders game.

Interesting. I thought we've been rotating the DL a good bit. 🤷‍♂️
In past seasons (especially under Coach Chaos), we routinely rotated 8-10 defensive linemen throughout the game to keep guys fresh. This year you seldom see Mustipher, Ebiketie or Tangelo out of the game (luckily they are in prime playing shape). We rotate Tarburton and Luketa a fair amount, but otherwise the reserves (Ellies, Izzard, Vilbert, and Mulbah) only have seven tackles between them while we have about six other defensive linemen who haven't played a down yet.

Not complaining, I'm sure we will start to see more guys in rotation. I'm still amazed our starters stayed as fresh as they did against Wisconsin's OL in game 1.

Yea the Ravens OL yesterday was a complete 180 from the week before. Villanuevo looked really good yesterday and he was a turnstile the previous week. That was a good win for the Ravens.
I wonder if John H. told Greg Roman to put the RPO back in the offense because it looked different than the Raiders game.

Ravens are adjusting to the injuries. Think they said they have 10+ on IR list. KC, for example, had 1.

Vegas also beat the Steelers. So maybe they aren't trash.

Ravens are adjusting to the injuries. Think they said they have 10+ on IR list. KC, for example, had 1.

Vegas also beat the Steelers. So maybe they aren't trash.
Yea the IR list for the Ravens is just crazy.
As for the Steelers. Well they kind of are what I thought they would be. Their OL is a mess, Their defense, with out Watt (who's injured.. again) is not nearly as effective and we knew their secondary wasn't very good but yesterday they were pretty stinky.
I don't think the Raiders are trash but I don't think they are very good either.

I agree with you Soupy about Mulbah, would love to see him at G. Strictly from a depth perspective, it may be a better path to playing time. We have young DTs like Izzard, Brevard, Vanover, Beamon (if he gets his act together), with Artis and the kid from FL on the way. All of those kids are probably better pure DT prospects. But at G, we have Wormley, Dawkins, Israel-Achumba... those are the only young interior OL I can think of off hand.
Good news Coach Traut just DM’d me that he read our notes and will consider moving him to offense.

247 reporting that Wormley is out for season due to injury.

In past seasons (especially under Coach Chaos), we routinely rotated 8-10 defensive linemen throughout the game to keep guys fresh. This year you seldom see Mustipher, Ebiketie or Tangelo out of the game (luckily they are in prime playing shape). We rotate Tarburton and Luketa a fair amount, but otherwise the reserves (Ellies, Izzard, Vilbert, and Mulbah) only have seven tackles between them while we have about six other defensive linemen who haven't played a down yet.

Not complaining, I'm sure we will start to see more guys in rotation. I'm still amazed our starters stayed as fresh as they did against Wisconsin's OL in game 1.
This was Chaos’ strategy tho….when he arrived we had DT’s that were smaller. They weren’t Odrick’s or Kennedy’s. By rotating 8-10 smaller fast guys he did effectively gain control of the line as a game progressed

but you needed depth to do it. We haven’t had a lot of that depth lately which is now stranding Mustipher into more plays. If you don’t have enough smaller guys AND you don’t have the huge monsters you get kinda stuck. This seems to have led to more attention to the Ends and reduced their game breaking impact plays. But I have been impressed with how we are holding up at that spot. It was exposed with Auburn but still we limited damages. If we had just one more BAD (Big Arse Dude) stuffing the center we would be devastating on D.

bottom line tho….our D flies. We look good. We are gonna have some troubles and need the O to help at some point this season, but we do look good.

I thought Yurcich was the one reading our notes?
Actually, the coaches bring their notebooks to staff meetings on Monday and read all the BWI CAC "suggestions."
Franklin then sends them back to their respective O and D meetings and checks to see that all adjustments have been incorporated into the game plan.

It sucks but it doesn't affect what's happening on the field this year.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT