ADVERTISEMENT

"What if you have a shotgun and you also have a hack saw? Does that mean you have a short-barreled shotgun?”(link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
The curious case of Derik Oaks and his run-in with onerous government...

“We’ve got to reach some kind of black and white decision on these firearm laws. This gray area that we’re in is a recipe for disaster, like with me,” he said. “If you’re going to classify something as legal one day, and then classify it as illegal the next day, where does that stop? What if you have a shotgun and you also have a hack saw? Does that mean you have a short-barreled shotgun?”

He’s unlikely to get any of his firearms back. California law stipulates that even if he’s convicted of a misdemeanor, his firearms must be destroyed.

“In the end, this will be a government-authorized home invasion to steal my property and charge me with whatever. In the end, nothing was prevented. Nothing was stopped. They’re trying to regulate firearms, but they’re making criminals out of people who aren’t doing anything,” he said. “We let people go for assault, arson, and all kinds of stuff. But here’s a person with a pistol grip on his rifle, and he’s the worst person ever. But that’s all California.”

CA is able to do this because people like Oaks have much to lose whereas criminals do not. That's the reason for the unequal application of law.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News