ADVERTISEMENT

Wendy, Tom McAndrew, Anthony Lubrano: Two questions about the July 22, BOT meeting

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
Wendy, Tom McAndrew, Anthony Lubrano;

I live a country mile from the location of the next board meeting at W-B campus. If it's possible with my work schedule, I’d like to take a vacation day to attend the trustee meeting on Friday.

That said,
I have a few questions.
  • Will the public be allowed in the same room as the trustee meetings?
  • Where will the public comment session be located ? Student Commons and/or Barry Auditorium?
______________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20160715_Some_Penn_State_trustees_questioning_Sandusky_payouts.html

"Lubert is going to face some scrutiny because he was the man in charge of the process," said Anthony Lubrano, an alumni-elected member of the board, who has been critical of the university's handling of the Sandusky fallout.

"We plan to have some public conversations. What the alumni want more than anything else is openness, transparency, and it seems as if we haven't had a good-faith effort to do that."

The threatened showdown comes as the board is set to meet July 22 at the university's Wilkes-Barre campus. It is just part of the aftermath from the unsealing Tuesday of a trove of documents that cast new doubt on assertions by iconic football coach Joe Paterno and other members of Penn State's athletics staff that they knew nothing about Sandusky's sexual misconduct prior to his 2011 arrest.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Time /Topic

8:00 - 11:15 a.m.
Board of Trustees Conference and/or Privileged Executive Session; Public Comment (Student Commons)

8:00 a.m.
Public Comment Session Webstream (Barry Auditorium, 103 Nesbitt Academic Commons) This is also available for public viewing purposes at wpsu.org/trustees.

1:30 p.m.
Board of Trustees Called to Order
President's Report
Provost's Report
Reports from Standing Committees

A. Committee on Academic Affairs and Student Life
B. Committee on Audit and Risk
C. Committee on Compensation
D. Committee on Finance, Business and Capital Planning
E. Committee on Governance and Long-Range Planning
F. Committee on Legal and Compliance
G. Committee on Outreach, Development and Community Relations

4:30 p.m.
Board of Trustees Adjournment

Reactions: bw38 and jubaaltman
Will the public be allowed in the same room as the trustee meetings?

Yes, for the meeting at 1:30. No for the Board of Trustees Conference and/or Privileged Executive Session at 8:00.

Where will the public comment session be located ? Student Commons and/or Barry Auditorium?

lol, good question. I believe the public comment session will be at the Student Commons. However, the speakers do not speak to the public. Their statements are streamed to the public, which appears can view the stream at the Barry Auditorium.

<raises hand>

If you plan to speak at Public Comment - you'll be in the room with the Trustees & various admin. You'll be assigned a speaking spot & a nice man will direct you to your seat in the batting cage.

You have 3 minutes to hit a home run. Ignore the "your time is up" garbage - just drive home your message & look them in the eye.

They also hate being called out by name - so be sure to do that too!

Not sure if any media members will actually be IN that room. But there will be media coverage.

Pro Tip: when filling out your Request to Address the BoT - check off something that deals with the Agenda & then offer up a vague, tangentially related bullshit description of your topic. You can completely change it up once you stroll up to the mic. ;)

Last edited:
lol, good question. I believe the public comment session will be at the Student Commons. However, the speakers do not speak to the public. Their statements are streamed to the public, which appears can view the stream at the Barry Auditorium.

<raises hand>

Thank you both. If I understand correctly, unless I have a comment to the BOT, I will be viewing the board meeting from the Barry Auditorium for both sessions. The public comment rules state that allowance of 30 minutes for speakers will be at the end of the session. Is this at the end of each morning & afternoon session?

I have a hearing difficulty and will write the BOT Secretary to inquire if any reasonable accommodations can be provided.

Thank you,
Thomas

Last edited:
Reactions: tgar and jubaaltman
Thank you both. If I understand correctly, unless I have a comment to the BOT, I will be viewing the board meeting from the Barry Auditorium for both sessions. The public comment rules state that allowance of 30 minutes for speakers will be at the end of the session. Is this at the end of each morning & afternoon session?

I have a hearing difficulty and will write the BOT Secretary to inquire of any reasonable accommodations will be provided.

Thank you,
Thomas

Hi - you'll be sitting in another room watching all the fun go on via a screen I believe.

Public Comment was 1st thing in the AM on Friday last I commented up in Hershey.

Hi - you'll be sitting in another room watching all the fun go on via a screen I believe.

Public Comment was 1st thing in the AM on Friday last I commented up in Hershey.

Thank you Wendy, have a nice weekend.

Reactions: wensilver
Wendy, Tom McAndrew, Anthony Lubrano;

I have a few questions.
  • Where will the public comment session be located ?
out_house_photo_print-rab88a6db2fa64d44851b80551732644b_wyy_8byvr_512.jpg

Wendy or Tom:

i've never been to a PSU BOT meeting, but this one is too close to miss. Are there any rules of decorum that would prohibit an attendee from wearing apparel that points out Ira's proclivity to sign off on settlement check on any claims, even if they're not vetted?

Wendy or Tom:

i've never been to a PSU BOT meeting, but this one is too close to miss. Are there any rules of decorum that would prohibit an attendee from wearing apparel that points out Ira's proclivity to sign off on settlement check on any claims, even if they're not vetted?

You can't bring in signs or placards, but nothing on apparel.

If I were you, I'd pick the sub-committee that Ira would be attending on Thursday. Hopefully he'd be attending. Of course the room would get stuffy and you'd be forced to remove your jacket, revealing a t-shirt emblazoned with whatever pithy message you decide to sport.

Or - you could be hanging out near the coffee break table when said Trustee strolls out & make eye contact.

Friday in the larger meeting is trickier - because they all ignore the attendees but if he's going to be coronated as Chair - you'd know for sure he'd be there and could jostle for a position to say "hi" in the hallway.

Reactions: Sharkies
You can't bring in signs or placards, but nothing on apparel.

If I were you, I'd pick the sub-committee that Ira would be attending on Thursday. Hopefully he'd be attending. Of course the room would get stuffy and you'd be forced to remove your jacket, revealing a t-shirt emblazoned with whatever pithy message you decide to sport.

Or - you could be hanging out near the coffee break table when said Trustee strolls out & make eye contact.

Friday in the larger meeting is trickier - because they all ignore the attendees but if he's going to be coronated as Chair - you'd know for sure he'd be there and could jostle for a position to say "hi" in the hallway.
Thank you for responding. And thanks for all your efforts. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to "congratulate" Ira. Maybe he'll give me a check!

<raises hand>

If you plan to speak at Public Comment - you'll be in the room with the Trustees & various admin. You'll be assigned a speaking spot & a nice man will direct you to your seat in the batting cage.

You have 3 minutes to hit a home run. Ignore the "your time is up" garbage - just drive home your message & look them in the eye.

Not sure if any media members will actually be IN that room. But there will be media coverage.

Pro Tip: when filling out your Request to Address the BoT - check off something that deals with the Agenda & then offer up a vague, tangentially related bullshit description of your topic. You can completely change it up once you stroll up to the mic. ;)
I truly love the way you think.

<raises hand>

Above all, please be civil.

To think this SOB left, was done only to ascend to the top. What an absolute disgrace the OG BOT's are, as well as Barron. They have literally ruined Penn State.

Seriously consider submitting for Public Comment. It's pretty easy & actually quite cathartic.

chizco, if you decide you'd like to address th BOT, you'll need to submit a form to the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees by 8 am this coming Wednesday. You can find more details, and a link to the form, at THIS LINK.

Hey Zip, are you coming to the BOT meeting? It's up in your old stomping grounds. I was thinking afterwards you could treat us to dinner at the Breaker Brewing Company. What do you say?
Do come Zip. You can fly from Teterboro to AVP on your private jet. I'll pick you up at the airport. My car has air conditioning! (It didn't come with it. I just got one of those big, bulky window units like you have. Not much in the way of aesthetics, but it's definitely the coolest car in town.)

And here I thought it was Jerry, Graham, Tim, and Gary who were the culprits. Silly me!

Making the world a better place just by showing up

Here's a thought. Why don't you show up at this July 22nd meeting, make it a better place and publicly express your support for the past and present members of the Board? It's easy, you have 3 minutes to express your total support and gratitude to certain Trustees for their decisions surrounding the scandal over the past 4 plus years. In your comment before the Board, you can name names & illustrate those decisions and the positive results for the university community those decisions effected.

Nothing is keeping you from doing so. You have time to sit at a keyboard 24/7 - surely you can attend ONE BoT meeting for a few hours.

Plenty of others have done so - time to walk the talk John.

Making the world a better place just by showing up

Here's a thought. Why don't you show up at this July 22nd meeting, make it a better place and publicly express your support for the past and present members of the Board? It's easy, you have 3 minutes to express your total support and gratitude to certain Trustees for their decisions surrounding the scandal over the past 4 plus years. In your comment before the Board, you can name names & illustrate those decisions and the positive results for the university community those decisions effected.

Nothing is keeping you from doing so. You have time to sit at a keyboard 24/7 - surely you can attend ONE BoT meeting for a few hours.

Plenty of others have done so - time to walk the talk John.

and it will be a welcome break for the women he harasses on twitter!

Reactions: jubaaltman
and it will be a welcome break for the women he harasses on twitter!

Pfft - He can still harass women on Twitter. He can sit at the Friday meeting with his tablet or phone and peck away. That's easy.

I'm just asking for @Cruising Route 66 to actually walk the talk, make the world a better place just by showing up and address the Board in Public Comment.

In fact, if he gets approved - I will personally take the day off, drive up and sit with him as moral support.

Pfft - He can still harass women on Twitter. He can sit at the Friday meeting with his tablet or phone and peck away. That's easy.

I'm just asking for @Cruising Route 66 to actually walk the talk, make the world a better place just by showing up and address the Board in Public Comment.

In fact, if he gets approved - I will personally take the day off, drive up and sit with him as moral support.

200_s.gif

What would make their heads explode is if some guys showed up for the meeting wearing t-shirts that said "I Survived Green Hills Sports Retreat," along with a few sassy fashion accessories. It's probably too short notice though to call Buzz Bissinger and ask to borrow some of his frilly pieces.

Reactions: wensilver
Do come Zip. You can fly from Teterboro to AVP on your private jet. I'll pick you up at the airport. My car has air conditioning! (It didn't come with it. I just got one of those big, bulky window units like you have. Not much in the way of aesthetics, but it's definitely the coolest car in town.)
Chizco: Is THIS your car?

Reactions: jim cummings
What would make their heads explode is if some guys showed up for the meeting wearing t-shirts that said "I Survived Green Hills Sports Retreat," along with a few sassy fashion accessories. It's probably too short notice though to call Buzz Bissinger and ask to borrow some of his frilly pieces.
I'm sure ole' Ira would appreciate that.

Reactions: Royal_Coaster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT