ADVERTISEMENT

Wendy Laurent

grinagrin

Aug 25, 2001
Does anyone know why he isn't being mentioned as one of the olinemen on the 2 deep? Is it injuries or something else? All I know is when he played last year, he was one of the better 5 that was on the field. I was looking forward to him being the starting Center or at worst, one of the Guards.

Who said he wasn't on the two deep? He's the second team center.

Does anyone know why he isn't being mentioned as one of the olinemen on the 2 deep? Is it injuries or something else? All I know is when he played last year, he was one of the better 5 that was on the field. I was looking forward to him being the starting Center or at worst, one of the Guards.
He most certainly was one of the better guys last year. On a play by play basis - he may have graded out better than anyone

Probably the most technically sound guy out there - and clearly the best interior OL wrt getting to the 2nd level. He certainly got mauled plenty in some matchups as well - but overall I thought the best interior OL on the team

Another guy who graded out relatively high ( granted, with the 2015 OL, "relatively high" = not completely sucky) was Dowrey - amazingly enough, since he is one of the guys "21" likes to rail about

He was - by FAR - the best pulling lineman on the team - - -both on run downs and as a protector on the few rollout passes they threw I do believe he was one of the guys with relatively significant injuries - which probably reduced his PT

Reactions: grinagrin
He most certainly was one of the better guys last year. On a play by play basis - he may have graded out better than anyone

Probably the most technically sound guy out there - and clearly the best interior OL wrt getting to the 2nd level. He certainly got mauled plenty in some matchups as well - but overall I thought the best interior OL on the team

Another guy who graded out relatively high ( granted, with the 2015 OL, "relatively high" = not completely sucky) was Dowrey - amazingly enough, since he is one of the guys "21" likes to rail about

He was - by FAR - the best pulling lineman on the team - - -both on run downs and as a protector on the few rollout passes they threw I do believe he was one of the guys with relatively significant injuries - which probably reduced his PT
Where were theses grades posted ???

Reactions: bison13
I get the sense that Franklin just doesn't like him and refuses to put aside his personal bias for the "greater good" of the team.

Sometimes "grudges" also cost bosses their jobs.

I get the sense that Franklin just doesn't like him and refuses to put aside his personal bias for the "greater good" of the team.

Sometimes "grudges" also cost bosses their jobs.
There are a lot of "intangible" reasons for why coaches do certain things - kinda' like all the opportunities Bill Belton received - but the naked truth is that Laurent was a MUCH more effective center than Mangiro. Much.

I didn't (and won't) get all super critical about it, 'cause I can venture a guess or two as to why the PT was allocated the way it was. But it is what it is.

je was lifting with the tier 1 group, the lowest level group i winter workouts

He is way too undersized and was pushed into the backfield very often last year, Not a starter on a decent line. Good for a few plays to rest a starter. If he is really second string then for me it is encouraging.
Plays hard and gives his all.

Reactions: Pocono Lion

Whose grades are you referring to?

Reactions: bison13
If you are looking for yours....they are generally near the bottom - with the other "left-side-of-the-bell-curve" guys. :)
Again you don't answer the question. Where were these grades posted ?? Or did you 'break down ' the film on your own??

There are a lot of "intangible" reasons for why coaches do certain things - kinda' like all the opportunities Bill Belton received - but the naked truth is that Laurent was a MUCH more effective center than Mangiro. Much.

I didn't (and won't) get all super critical about it, 'cause I can venture a guess or two as to why the PT was allocated the way it was. But it is what it is.
If you can venture a guess or two as to why, can you share at Least one of these reasons??

Watch the Mich game last year. After that initial run by Barkley for 70 yards or so, he was constantly tackled in the backfield for 2-3 yard losses many times. Laurent stood there with his hands on his hips looking after he got whipped big time by the Mich DL time and again.

Watch the Mich game last year. After that initial run by Barkley for 70 yards or so, he was constantly tackled in the backfield for 2-3 yard losses many times. Laurent stood there with his hands on his hips looking after he got whipped big time by the Mich DL time and again.

Exactly. Anyone wants to rave about Laurent, he was on roller skates the entire Michigan game. Also, they break up the players into 3 tiers for weight lifting. The elite tier has 9 players. The 1st tier is freshman, the 2nd tier everyone else. Laurent is the only upperclassman who is still in the first tier along with the freshman, ffs.

If Barkley was being met 2-3 yards in the backfield on (nearly) every play - - - which, I agree, he was - - - there was a LOT more going FUBAR with the OL than whatever was happening at the OC position.
I don't think ANYONE would claim that any position on the OL was well-played.

The only issue at hand - as far as I know - is, relatively, who was better or worse.
Laurent, when he played, was much more efficient than Mangiro - - - - even if he was regularly getting rocked back 2 yards into his own backfield.
Was he "good"? LOL Was he even "OK"? Very debatable. But there wasn't any "good" option.

Like anything along these lines, there can always be folks who will agree/disagree with either side......but I don't think it was even a close call between the two.

Exactly. Anyone wants to rave about Laurent, he was on roller skates the entire Michigan game. .

Rave about Laurent?

???????

Maybe I've been reading some other board.......but TTBOMK, I have not heard ONE SINGLE poster rave about ONE SINGLE offensive lineman in the last 2 years.

Have you?

That doesn't mean that one isn't "less sucky" than another.
Even a midget high-jump contest has to have a gold medal winner.......right?

Rave about Laurent?

???????

Maybe I've been reading some other board.......but TTBOMK, I have not heard ONE SINGLE poster rave about ONE SINGLE offensive lineman in the last 2 years.

Have you?

That doesn't mean that one isn't "less sucky" than another.
Even a midget high-jump contest has to have a gold medal winner.......right?

Bolded is absolutely ridiculous.

Bolded is absolutely ridiculous.
Opinions.,.......

Who was more efficient? Over the course of the season?

I can think of a couple that would "group" into the upper tier (which, again, is like being a midget-high-jump medalist).....but I can't imagine any argument that anyone else was head and shoulders above Laurent - wrt efficiency on the snaps played.

Again, everyone can have an opinion - and I ain't "Laurent's Agent" - - - don't really much care one way or the other. But if the comment was "ridiculous" - SOMEONE musta' been head and shoulders better - - - - and, for the life of me, I can't imagine who. :confused:

If Barkley was being met 2-3 yards in the backfield on (nearly) every play - - - which, I agree, he was - - - there was a LOT more going FUBAR with the OL than whatever was happening at the OC position.
I don't think ANYONE would claim that any position on the OL was well-played.

The only issue at hand - as far as I know - is, relatively, who was better or worse.
Laurent, when he played, was much more efficient than Mangiro - - - - even if he was regularly getting rocked back 2 yards into his own backfield.
Was he "good"? LOL Was he even "OK"? Very debatable. But there wasn't any "good" option.

Like anything along these lines, there can always be folks who will agree/disagree with either side......but I don't think it was even a close call between the two.

Agree, since the other OL that got whipped big time against Mich was "Gaia" our starting center this year. Both he and JL got turned around 180 looking into the backfield as Barkley got stopped in his tracks. Gaia lost a lot of weight and is down to 286, don't know if that will help him or not. He looked good physically at 303 and would need that weight against UM, OSU, but the coaches know better, lets hope!

Opinions.,.......

I can think of a couple that would "group" into the upper tier (which, again, is like being a midget-high-jump medalist).....but I can't imagine any argument that anyone else was head and shoulders above Laurent - wrt efficiency on the snaps played.

Again, everyone can have an opinion - and I ain't "Laurent's Agent" - - - don't really much care one way or the other. But if the comment was "ridiculous" - SOMEONE musta' been head and shoulders better - - - - and, for the life of me, I can't imagine who. :confused:

Nelson. Mahon when he played tackle was also better. And while Gaia did not have a good season, he played more consistently than the other interior linemen.

Nelson. Mahon when he played tackle was also better. And while Gaia did not have a good season, he played more consistently than the other interior linemen.
Again....everyone has opinions. And yours is as valid as anyone else's (well, except for guys like "21" and Sluggo - who spew their nonsense without any reasonable basis wrt a "better solution" :) )

FWIW, I agree on Mahon playing a lot better at RT than he did at OG (mentioned as much during the season, when I was breaking down each game). In fact, if I looked ONLY at his time at RT, I might very well agree that he was better there (at RT) than anyone else was at any other position.
Unfortunately, he only saw a small portion of his PT at RT, large majority at RG. Alas - but they had to try to field the "best 5" out of what was available.

Nelson? Just MHO, after his injury he was getting his lunch eaten (prior to the injury, he was pretty effective, but that was only a couple of games out of the season). If so, not his fault, for sure, because he was clearly out their "gutting it out" at well under 100% (IMO) because there just were not other options.

Reactions: BBrown
Again....everyone has opinions. And yours is as valid as anyone else's (well, except for guys like "21" and Sluggo - who spew their nonsense without any reasonable basis wrt a "better solution" :) )

FWIW, I agree on Mahon playing a lot better at RT than he did at OG (mentioned as much during the season, when I was breaking down each game). In fact, if I looked ONLY at his time at RT, I might very well agree that he was better there (at RT) than anyone else was at any other position.
Unfortunately, he only saw a small portion of his PT at RT, large majority at RG. Alas - but they had to try to field the "best 5" out of what was available.

Nelson? Just MHO, after his injury he was getting his lunch eaten (prior to the injury, he was pretty effective, but that was only a couple of games out of the season). If so, not his fault, for sure, because he was clearly out their "gutting it out" at well under 100% (IMO) because there just were not other options.

Well, what isn't opinion is that except for a small stretch of games that ended with his terrible performance against Michigan, Laurent didn't play much on a bad offensive line. So, again, if you or other posters are claiming to know better than the coaches who is practicing better, you know, go nuts, I guess.

I notice that you also cut out of my quote above that Laurent is lifting with the freshman. That seems relevant.

Well, what isn't opinion is that except for a small stretch of games that ended with his terrible performance against Michigan, Laurent didn't play much on a bad offensive line. So, again, if you or other posters are claiming to know better than the coaches who is practicing better, you know, go nuts, I guess.

I notice that you also cut out of my quote above that Laurent is lifting with the freshman. That seems relevant.
If you're gonna' go all strawman.....I'll check out.

Ain't that important to me.

Opinions.,.......

If you're gonna' go all strawman.....I'll check out.

Ain't that important to me.

Go "grade" some more film. I'm sure everyone values your expert opinion.

I dont 'grade' the O-line after games but I WATCH the game and I can tell you that last year the guys I most consistently saw get beat were: 1. Gaia, 2. Dowrey, 3. Palmer, 4. Laurent.

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
I dont 'grade' the O-line after games but I WATCH the game and I can tell you that last year the guys I most consistently saw get beat were: 1. Gaia, 2. Dowrey, 3. Palmer, 4. Laurent.

Quite the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT