ADVERTISEMENT

We can rationalize all we want about just missing the top 4, but............

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
it is just a rationalization for not making it. Yes, playing in the Rose Bowl as the B1G Champion is something that few if ANY fans ever expected when this season began, but now we will no longer be in the discussion for the National Championship, even though we should have made the playoffs. We will all fall into rationalization mode now, but it is VERY difficult to get a shot like we had in this very tough B1G East division, no matter how many 5 or 4 star players we get. Both OSU and UM have them now, and neither won the B1G Division or the B1G Championship. We DID, and won 9 straight games including last night and against THE OSU who is in, but still are now on the outside looking in! I'll get over this, but it will take a few days or so.

it is just a rationalization for not making it. Yes, playing in the Rose Bowl as the B1G Champion is something that few if ANY fans ever expected when this season began, but now we will no longer be in the discussion for the National Championship, even though we should have made the playoffs. We will all fall into rationalization mode now, but it is VERY difficult to get a shot like we had in this very tough B1G East division, no matter how many 5 or 4 star players we get. Both OSU and UM have them now, and neither won the B1G Division or the B1G Championship. We DID, and won 9 straight games including last night and against THE OSU who is in, but still are now on the outside looking in! I'll get over this, but it will take a few days or so.

Look at this way...OSU has just proven that you don't have to win the B1G east to get into the playoff. So I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you're painting it.

The system is rigged! Drain the swamp!

Nah, not rigged, just solely based on wins and losses. I've said the same thing on multiple threads, but really, THAT IS IT.

Really isn't any different than the flawed BCS. 8 team 8 team 8 team

Look at this way...OSU has just proven that you don't have to win the B1G east to get into the playoff. So I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you're painting it.
WRONG! The only thing OSU proved is they don't have to win the B1G east to get into the playoff. If you think if everything was opposite, and it was OSU that won the B1G championship with 2 losses but beat a 1 loss PSU team head to head, that PSU would get into the playoff and OSU would be left out, you are naive as hell.

WRONG! The only thing OSU proved is they don't have to win the B1G east to get into the playoff. If you think if everything was opposite, and it was OSU sitting that won the B1G with 2 losses but beat a 1 loss PSU team head to head, that PSU would get into the playoff and OSU would be left out, you are naive as hell.

Absolutely 100% true. People thinking we'll get the UM/OSU treatment in similar circumstances are seriously delusional.

You are already rationalizing. I'll get there soon, just give me time. I guess I still can't get over the fact that Washington is in and we aren't, when I KNOW we could beat them head-to-head. We already beat OSU, and I believe we could beat Clemson like Pitt did. I am pretty sure we'd give AL a better game than FL did, or WA will, but I also see USC being a tough opponent as well.In the final analysis, it really pisses me off that we played Pitt early on in the season when our Offense wasn't quite gelling yet.

We lost TWO games, they all lost ONE. Sadly it's that simple, it was an odd year and we caught the breaks at the end. It's harsh but it's reality. Nothing at all to be upset about this team overachieved and was by far the most fun PSU team to watch. Ever.

And only W's. matter not who they are against. Schedule patsies OOC. Hell, Rutgers scored 13 vs. the Huskies in Washington. Big 10 East powers shut them out.

You are already rationalizing. I'll get there soon, just give me time. I guess I still can't get over the fact that Washington is in and we aren't, when I KNOW we could beat them head-to-head. We already beat OSU, and I believe we could beat Clemson like Pitt did. I am pretty sure we'd give AL a better game than FL did, or WA will, but I also see USC being a tough opponent as well.In the final analysis, it really pisses me off that we played Pitt early on in the season when our Offense wasn't quite gelling yet.

You used to get a pass for 'good losses' (at a minimum, they didn't hurt you). Now, unless you're Michigan and can lose two of your last three games and not drop out of the Top 5, any loss hurts - good or bad.

And only W's. matter not who they are against. Schedule patsies OOC. Hell, Rutgers scored 13 vs. the Huskies in Washington. Big 10 East powers shut them out.

Also a solid point. Bottom line is the only way to make this fair is go to 8 and it won't happen

Nah, I think you guys are back in the mix now. You have a solid early season, revenge-stomp Pitt, get highly ranked. Then if you lose in conference to another team and end up not winning the conference. If you have just that one loss, you'll be in there. I don't hear any more "Sandusky stained, sanction crippled PSU". I heard a lot pf props to an up and coming team and program. You have a flamethrowing QB and the best RB in the B1G. Hang in there.

The same scenario could work to our benefit next year if we're very lucky. Go 11-1 with our only loss being to OSU. OSU wins the B1G but PSU gets into the playoff.

I can dream, right?

We lost TWO games, they all lost ONE. Sadly it's that simple, it was an odd year and we caught the breaks at the end. It's harsh but it's reality. Nothing at all to be upset about this team overachieved and was by far the most fun PSU team to watch. Ever.

Yeah I get some of what you are saying, but not buying the "caught breaks" or "overachieved" parts. Not at all. That seems to somewhat delegitimize something that was totally legit.

Our best chances to get in were 1) Washington losing to Washington State and 2) Clemson losing to VT. We didn't get those breaks, but we did get a lot of other breaks this year (the chances of Michigan losing 2 of their final 3 were pretty slim).

Nah, I think you guys are back in the mix now. You have a solid early season, revenge-stomp Pitt, get highly ranked. Then if you lose in conference to another team and end up not winning the conference. If you have just that one loss, you'll be in there. I don't hear any more "Sandusky stained, sanction crippled PSU". I heard a lot pf props to an up and coming team and program. You have a flamethrowing QB and the best RB in the B1G. Hang in there.
Go home

This kind of thing isn't at all new.
Deserving teams got left out when it was the bowls and polls, deserving teams got left out when it was the BCS, and deserving teams are going to get left out with this "playoff" system. I still believe that an 8 team system is what is needed- and is all that is needed.

Our best chances to get in were 1) Washington losing to Washington State and 2) Clemson losing to VT. We didn't get those breaks, but we did get a lot of other breaks this year (the chances of Michigan losing 2 of their final 3 were pretty slim).
Very well said.

This kind of thing isn't at all new.
Deserving teams got left out when it was the bowls and polls, deserving teams got left out when it was the BCS, and deserving teams are going to get left out with this "playoff" system. I still believe that an 8 team system is what is needed- and is all that is needed.

Except this is more like if the 1993 team had won the conference and gotten slighted. Next year's team may be our best of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT