ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT and highly personal (and a little help requested at the end)

colt21

Jan 30, 2007
I’m not a very open guy – in fact I hold things in way too much (It took me 18 years to properly grieve for my mother’s passing and that is where my story will start below). But I’ve found that this board is a good therapeutic outlet. I’ve read the many ups and downs of other posters and I feel like it’s kind of a fraternity (I know that isn’t a popular analogy right now but I’m sticking with it) of sorts.

So here’s my story – just need to get it off my chest and ask for a little help in the end. It’s truly is a story of ups and downs but also how some perceived “bad” things are actually good and vice versa.

I won’t go back to the beginning – just the last 10 years or so.

Lost a job, house and pretty much everything – had to restart from scratch. There have been several restarts along the way. Depression set in and manifested itself in a variety of ways. However, this is the trigger that finally allowed me (forced me) to grieve from losing my mother 18 years prior. So, in essence, that is one of the bad things that I think is a "good" thing.

There was a fire in our “rent to own” house in 2013. I posted on this site and got lots of help/advice from other posters. One poster was adamant that “I CALL HIM” on the phone and talk about what is going to happen throughout the process. Ultimately, he was right on the mark which was monumental for us in a lot of ways. (I don’t remember exactly which poster it was but if you are reading this – THANK YOU AGAIN!).

Then my father began having health issues. I do not have enough space to explain this crazy situation but he was remarried to what I could only classify as a complete nutcase (Oh, he had his issues too mind you). As it got closer to the end the games began – again not enough space to detail it here but it was absolutely crazy – two Wills, one within two weeks of his death changing everything – all for what amounted to a bunch of “not much” because he didn’t really have anything in his name.

I took over the funeral arrangements and had to force out both my brother and sister and his wife to ensure I would fulfill his wishes (which were to be buried next to my Mom). Very emotional and stressful but I think I pulled it off. When it was done my brother and a friend of ours said they think that it was the best eulogy they had ever heard anywhere. I called it, "It's not about being a good Dad, a bad Dad, or an anywhere in-between Dad - he's just MY Dad". Again, through all the commotion, it was very therapeutic to me.

However, through all of this he did have a little cottage that he, along with me and my brother built which ended up in his wife's family. Her granddaughter and husband immediately moved in and there was a little battle between my brother and them but then it happened --- exactly 31 days after my dad’s death, his wife went to bed and never woke up. I think it was suicide (too many pills) but it wasn’t classified that way. Apparently 31 days was significant to the second Will having standing. Anyway, we all went to her funeral which was awkward to say the least and the battles began. Long story short-my brother was able to salvage some tools but the wife’s granddaughter got the house (and I got the burial bills).

Not long after my Dad passed (about 6 months) my wife's Grandmother (who was 93) started having health issues. Up to this point, although a little frail physically, she totally had all her capacities - she was playing "on the floor" with our son in her NINEITES. She went into a nursing home. She was my wife's rock and this was a big blow.

Right around the same time she had to go into a nursing home my older son from a previous marriage started using heroin. He had always had issues but up to this point heroin wasn't one of them. He didn't overdoes or die - he got a headache. The headache turned out to be an abscess that formed on his brain. Now, six brain operations later her sits in a physical rehabilitation center paralyzed on the entire right side of his body just trying to re-learn basic functions. He just has his 28th birthday recently - I tell/encourage him that all he can do is try and do one more thing today that he couldn't do yesterday - and one more thing tomorrow that he couldn't do today.

Not soon after that my wife's grandmother passed never making it out of the nursing home. Right up to the end she had her wits about her. We were showing her pictures of our daughter (now a senior in high school) as she swiped through the pictures on my iPhone 6+ - that was quite a sight. My wife still grieves every day for her but I try and tell her to take solace in the fact that both of our children's (her great-grandchildren) early years were shaped by NooNoo. Most kids don't have that and both of our kids could read at a very early age, among other things, because of her. So again, in sorrow there is also solace. My wife gets emotional when I can make some side dishes like NooNoo’s at the holidays but I tell her that is how we carry them with us and I wish she would have taught us more of her recipes.

Flash forward to today (actually to yesterday). Our daughter's dreams since she was little was to go to Penn State. We started taking her to games when she was 2. Yesterday, we were able to drop her off to begin her journey as an undergrad in the College of Engineering. I know she technically isn't IN the College of Engineering yet but it says something for her to be accepted into that College as a freshman. Obviously she's very nervous as are we. But we are also excited and proud beyond belief.

Here's where the "little help" from my title comes in. Obviously due to our struggles college will be difficult financially but we'll make it happen. But I do know that her being in the Engineering Field is considered "non-traditional" for woman and if anyone knows of any connections she can reach out to for scholarships and the like it would be greatly appreciated. Over the years I've seen that this board, beyond Penn State athletics, has been a tremendous resource for the members (me included).

Thank you for allowing me to rant/vent a little. As I said I usually hold things in for way too long but when I need an outlet this board, just like everything else about Penn State, is a "Community" in the truest sense of the word!

I’m not a very open guy – in fact I hold things in way too much (It took me 18 years to properly grieve for my mother’s passing and that is where my story will start below). But I’ve found that this board is a good therapeutic outlet. I’ve read the many ups and downs of other posters and I feel like it’s kind of a fraternity (I know that isn’t a popular analogy right now but I’m sticking with it) of sorts.

So here’s my story – just need to get it off my chest and ask for a little help in the end. It’s truly is a story of ups and downs but also how some perceived “bad” things are actually good and vice versa.

Lost a job, house and pretty much everything – had to restart from scratch. There have been several restarts along the way. Depression set in and manifested itself in a variety of ways. However, this is the trigger that finally allowed me (forced me) to grieve from losing my mother 18 years prior. So, in essence, that is one of the bad things that I think is a "good" thing.

There was a fire in our “rent to own” house in 2013. I posted on this site and got lots of help/advice from other posters. One poster was adamant that “I CALL HIM” on the phone and talk about what is going to happen throughout the process. Ultimately, he was right on the mark which was monumental for us in a lot of ways. (I don’t remember exactly which poster it was but if you are reading this – THANK YOU AGAIN!).

Then my father began having health issues. I do not have enough space to explain this crazy situation but he was remarried to what I could only classify as a complete nutcase (Oh, he had his issues too mind you). As it got closer to the end the games began – again not enough space to detail it here but it was absolutely crazy – two Wills, one within two weeks of his death changing everything – all for what amounted to a bunch of “not much” because he didn’t really have anything in his name.

I took over the funeral arrangements and had to force out both my brother and sister and his wife to ensure I would fulfill his wishes (which were to be buried next to my Mom). Very emotional and stressful but I think I pulled it off. When it was done my brother and a friend of ours said they think that it was the best eulogy they had ever heard anywhere. I called it, "It's not about being a good Dad, a bad Dad, or an anywhere in-between Dad - he's just MY Dad". Again, through all the commotion, it was very therapeutic to me.

However, through all of this he did have a little cottage that he, along with me and my brother built which ended up in his wife's family. Her granddaughter and husband immediately moved in and there was a little battle between my brother and them but then it happened --- exactly 31 days after my dad’s death, his wife went to bed and never woke up. I think it was suicide (too many pills) but it wasn’t classified that way. Apparently 31 days was significant to the second Will having standing. Anyway, we all went to her funeral which was awkward to say the least and the battles began. Long story short-my brother was able to salvage some tools but the wife’s granddaughter got the house (and I got the burial bills).

Not long after my Dad passed (about 6 months) my wife's Grandmother (who was 93) started having health issues. Up to this point, although a little frail physically, she totally had all her capacities - she was playing "on the floor" with our son in her NINEITES. She went into a nursing home. She was my wife's rock and this was a big blow.

Right around the same time she had to go into a nursing home my older son from a previous marriage started using heroin. He had always had issues but up to this point heroin wasn't one of them. He didn't overdoes or die - he got a headache. The headache turned out to be an abscess that formed on his brain. Now, six brain operations later her sits in a physical rehabilitation center paralyzed on the entire right side of his body just trying to re-learn basic functions. He just has his 28th birthday recently - I tell/encourage him that all he can do is try and do one more thing today that he couldn't do yesterday - and one more thing tomorrow that he couldn't do today.

Not soon after that my wife's grandmother passed never making it out of the nursing home. Right up to the end she had her wits about her. We were showing her pictures of our daughter (now a senior in high school) as she swiped through the pictures on my iPhone 6+ - that was quite a sight. My wife still grieves every day for her but I try and tell her to take solace in the fact that both of our children's (her great-grandchildren) early years were shaped by NooNoo. Most kids don't have that and both of our kids could read at a very early age, among other things, because of her. So again, in sorrow there is also solace. My wife gets emotional when I can make some side dishes like NooNoo’s at the holidays but I tell her that is how we carry them with us and I wish she would have taught us more of her recipes.

Flash forward to today (actually to yesterday). Our daughter's dreams since she was little was to go to Penn State. We started taking her to games when she was 2. Yesterday, we were able to drop her off to begin her journey as an undergrad in the College of Engineering. I know she technically isn't IN the College of Engineering yet but it says something for her to be accepted into that College as a freshman. Obviously she's very nervous as are we. But we are also excited and proud beyond belief.

Here's where the "little help" from my title comes in. Obviously due to our struggles college will be difficult financially but we'll make it happen. But I do know that her being in the Engineering Field is considered "non-traditional" for woman and if anyone knows of any connections she can reach out to for scholarships and the like it would be greatly appreciated. Over the years I've seen that this board, beyond Penn State athletics, has been a tremendous resource for the members (me included).

Thank you for allowing me to rant/vent a little. As I said I usually hold things in for way too long but when I need an outlet this board, just like everything else about Penn State, is a "Community" in the truest sense of the word!
Not sure if these are still available, but there was a technical / scientific scholarship with the only requirement was you had to accept a job in Pa after graduation and work at least 3 years in state. The engineering field qualified for that. Look it up on the internet to see if it's still offered.

There used to be something called the WISE (Women In Science and Engineering) Institute at Penn State; not sure if it's still around or if it offers financial assistance. Would be a good resource either way though for networking and guidance. I have some colleagues (married couple) who are PSU engineering alums who may have other suggestions - I'll ask and get back to you. Their daughter is entering her junior year as a civil engineer major st Purdue and she just finished her second summer of a very well paid internship near Baltimore. Can find out more about that too if you like.

I have no connections, or advice, in Engineering, but I can at least offer a prayer or two for a solution to your financial situation and your daughter's success in Engineering and in life. All the best to her and your family.

I believe a poster by the name "ThePennsyOracle" works in PSU's Financial Aid office and should be able to offer some ideas.

I do know their are scholarships out there for people (women as well) of native American ancestry.

The University of Nebraska does honor that. Maybe PSU has something like that if you have Native American blood. A young lady I know is only like 1/8 or 1/16 Native American but she will be going to the University of Nebraska on this type of scholarship. Totally free sir. I kid you not. She is Top 5 in her senior class as of now. Great, great person.

Just putting it out there.

As an aside, if she hasn't considered it yet, she should seriously consider the co-op program. Money is very good, it is very important to have job experience when graduating, and she'll get to see before graduating if she likes her field or wants to switch it. It alternates work and school semesters, but if you do two work semesters back to back you end up working two summers and either a fall or spring semester instead of both a fall and spring plus one summer. You get bigger projects and more experience, but graduate sooner. The co-op program will tell you it can't be done. The key is to arrange it with the company, and then tell the school, and they will be able to accommodate.

As an aside, if she hasn't considered it yet, she should seriously consider the co-op program. Money is very good, it is very important to have job experience when graduating, and she'll get to see before graduating if she likes her field or wants to switch it. It alternates work and school semesters, but if you do two work semesters back to back you end up working two summers and either a fall or spring semester instead of both a fall and spring plus one summer. You get bigger projects and more experience, but graduate sooner. The co-op program will tell you it can't be done. The key is to arrange it with the company, and then tell the school, and they will be able to accommodate.
My niece (engineering student) is doing something like that right now through Rochester Institute of Technology--she's in NC at the moment on her first internship/co op and will be in Connecticut later in the year doing the same thing.

Best thing that ever happened to me was stumbling into the Engineeering Co-op office - I started working in Jan of my soph year at Big Blue and that experience helped me get my job at GM out of college. The money didn't hurt either.
I spent 4 years plus an extra summer and fall getting Mech Eng'g degree, but 1 year of that was working at IBM.
edit - yes, I did exactly what 91Joe95 says, worked Jan -Aug, was back fat PSU or fall/winter, then started working again the next summer.

God bless you colt. Have your daughter join SWE (Society of Women Engineers) at Penn State. My wife's roommate was very involved with SWE and is now a high level national advocate for women in engineering and is VP of Engineering at GE Nuclear.

I can reach out to her and ask for advice on your behalf if you'd like.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I would also suggest that she go and talk to the Dean of the Engineering College. Sometimes these faculty have a way of making things work out for needy students. Good luck and best wishes for her.

Bless you Colt, you are a man of steel after facing inordinate amount of hardships. Hoping and wishing your best days are around the corner. Yours is a story of hardships and toughness that you overcame.

Your local Alumni Association chapter may have scholarship money available. Most chapters try to do that.
As I recall, ours (Central Ohio) gives a couple $500 scholarships every year. It may be more now--I've not been on the board in a number of years.

Prayers to you and your family.

As for scholarships, I work in the industry and would recommend that you try (if you haven't already) this app called Scholly. Long story short, you put in your personal info -- background, etc. -- and it connects you thousands and thousands of scholarship programs that you may not know about. The founder basically got himself through school by finding and putting together many "small" scholarships -- $5,000 here, $5,000 there -- and ultimately found that he could cover most of his costs just by putting in the work of finding these things. The app does that work for you. It's definitely worth a shot.

https://myscholly.com/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT