ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the movie MONEY BALL right now! IMO, great, great movie!! Your thoughts?

Glov, this is about Billy Bean the gay baseball player, not Billy Beane the A's GM.
OGC.45082ef3353a2bb5ee93f7de61a70f2c

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
Great movie but totally ignores they had a dominate three starters in Zito, Mulder, and Hudson since it doesn't support the Moneyball philosophy. Also Miguel Tajada was MVP and rarely walked.

But Pitt was great and I always stop to watch because the movie is so enjoyable and you just got to like the movie.

Wait so the gm in 97 taught him this? Wow the movie makes it way different

Reactions: TheGLOV
It is one of my favorites (for whatever reason). Pitt is perfect in the role of Beane. I also think Jonah Hill plays his part well.
I agree with the poster above about the omission of the (pretty dominant) rotation of Zito, Mulder, and Hudson. Needless to say, fun movie to watch.

Ignoring the pitching staff they had is a big miss. It is also funny that "Money Ball" has shown it only works to a point. The A's never reached the World Series using money ball. Now you can believe Beane that playoffs are about luck, which I will concede to a certain point.

I still believe that you need certain stars to get you over the hump.

I wonder if the trade for a player and 3 years of stocking the soda machine was real?
I wonder too. it wouldnt take too much to tell the vendors at the stadium, hey you want to sell pop here? They fill this machine for free.

Ignoring the pitching staff they had is a big miss. It is also funny that "Money Ball" has shown it only works to a point. The A's never reached the World Series using money ball. Now you can believe Beane that playoffs are about luck, which I will concede to a certain point.

I still believe that you need certain stars to get you over the hump.

i think the point of moneyball and analytics that the A's used was the fact that they got to the playoffs with a payroll way less than everybody else. You are correct that to win a world series probably takes more than moneyball with a bottom 10% payroll can do. but if the point of things was to outcompete everybody but a few teams at 1/4 the amount of money spent because you didn't have that kind of money to spend, then it was a success.

Reactions: lazydave841 and 1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT