ADVERTISEMENT

Watched SB halftime with close captioning on

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Wanted to see what the words were to the music playing. Maroon 5 songs were mostly just girl/boy love songs. Nothing impressive. Guitar solo was good.

But the rap stuff was weird. Big Boi talked so fast that CC had a hard time keeping up and I had a hard time reading it all. But it was non-sensical. Seems all that mattered was that every fifth word or so rhymed ... or sorta rhymed.

I have come to the belief that rap is like modern art. It doesn't make any sense or have any meeting. But if you dare question it, you are laughed at for not being smart enough to 'get it.'

I'm sure that a lot of rap is better written that makes sense and has a message. Just not this stuff.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Wanted to see what the words were to the music playing. Maroon 5 songs were mostly just girl/boy love songs. Nothing impressive. Guitar solo was good.

But the rap stuff was weird. Big Boi talked so fast that CC had a hard time keeping up and I had a hard time reading it all. But it was non-sensical. Seems all that mattered was that every fifth word or so rhymed ... or sorta rhymed.

I have come to the belief that rap is like modern art. It doesn't make any sense or have any meeting. But if you dare question it, you are laughed at for not being smart enough to 'get it.'

I'm sure that a lot of rap is better written that makes sense and has a message. Just not this stuff.
Oh longing for the days of Chuck D

Rap is a pretty large category now. The "pop" of rap is generally a guy yelling into a mic about how much money he has, how many bitches he has and how many cars he has. The beat is some ripoff of some prior song.

Not quite sure of the appeal but most "pop" of any genre is in the similar vein. Country, Rock etc.

When alternative was popular "pop" they were putting out some really crap music, calling it "alternative" and it was at the top of the charts. Rap has a similar problem.

LdN

Don't know why it is so hard to understand Big Boi. He usually sticks to the basics of most rap songs (these are from his big hit Kill Jill):

GUNS/HOOD:
I'm repping that Zone Four though with a .44 on your bro though
Cause that dodo thought that he could rob a playa for some dough though

WOMEN:
And my bad bitch from the Valley brought me brand new Ballys
And I'm playin' with her nose, 'Merican Dream, Dusty Rhodes
Man, she been ridin' clean since her daddy rode on Vogues
I done ****ed her in every hotel in every hole
I ain't ****ed her with my wife, but if she meet her, might be a go

Woo! Ric Flair, Ric Flair flashy, bitch, don't I look dashin'?
Bitch, don't I look classy? Bitch, don't act so sassy
I'm the—I'm the man, boo; that's with or without you
To hell with what your mouth say, show me what that mouth do

CURRENT EVENTS:
The South got somethin' to say
And all y'all niggas can't get y'all ball back

DRUGS:
Opponent or/and nigga that want it, pure uncut, never step on it
Line for line, dope when you want it

HOPE:
Mine the kind to give a nigga hope when they down and out
Nigga dig a hole so deep, ain't no climbing out

Don't know why it is so hard to understand Big Boi. He usually sticks to the basics of most rap songs (these are from his big hit Kill Jill):

GUNS/HOOD:
I'm repping that Zone Four though with a .44 on your bro though
Cause that dodo thought that he could rob a playa for some dough though

WOMEN:
And my bad bitch from the Valley brought me brand new Ballys
And I'm playin' with her nose, 'Merican Dream, Dusty Rhodes
Man, she been ridin' clean since her daddy rode on Vogues
I done ****ed her in every hotel in every hole
I ain't ****ed her with my wife, but if she meet her, might be a go

Woo! Ric Flair, Ric Flair flashy, bitch, don't I look dashin'?
Bitch, don't I look classy? Bitch, don't act so sassy
I'm the—I'm the man, boo; that's with or without you
To hell with what your mouth say, show me what that mouth do

CURRENT EVENTS:
The South got somethin' to say
And all y'all niggas can't get y'all ball back

DRUGS:
Opponent or/and nigga that want it, pure uncut, never step on it
Line for line, dope when you want it

HOPE:
Mine the kind to give a nigga hope when they down and out
Nigga dig a hole so deep, ain't no climbing out

Fantastic. What's not to get?

Vdkw2Lo.gif

Reactions: 91Joe95 and N&B4PSU

Eh - it’s not for you (no offense). I read stuff like this then see 50 year old Penn State fans doing the Kodak Black grill thing like Marcus Allen. Ever listen to Kodak Black?

DSVhXtmVQAAEUD1.jpg

Reactions: stormingnorm
Today's rap is GD horrible.. I realize kids today like it , my kids love it and they have no clue who Run DMC, Boo-Yaa, Beasties ect.. are. It's really sad when today you can't even listen to the music on the latest Madden because they have to cut words every 3 seconds.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and N&B4PSU
who in the hell were they trying to "entertain" with that? How would you like to pay 5K for your game ticket and have to listen to that?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Eh - it’s not for you (no offense). I read stuff like this then see 50 year old Penn State fans doing the Kodak Black grill thing like Marcus Allen. Ever listen to Kodak Black?

DSVhXtmVQAAEUD1.jpg

Yes because there were no grills before Kodak Black.

I imagine the person who invented clapping is imitated every touchdown as well.

LdN

Lots of music(some I really like) has garbage for lyrics. Read the lyrics to STP songs sometime. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn’t make music, regardless of my zero talent level.

Yes because there were no grills before Kodak Black.

I imagine the person who invented clapping is imitated every touchdown as well.

LdN

Okay - pick Nelly, Paul Wall, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, etc. None of them did the fish hook. So, not sure of your point...

Okay - pick Nelly, Paul Wall, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, etc. None of them did the fish hook. So, not sure of your point...

Yes 100%. The first person to do a "fish hook" and show off his grill was Kodak Black... first ever in the history of humanity.

So factually, when 50 year old fans do the fish hook it is 100% because of Kodak Black. We are fortunate to have such creativity in our society.

Can't imagine anyone ever did something similar before him.

LdN

Yes 100%. The first person to do a "fish hook" and show off his grill was Kodak Black... first ever in the history of humanity.

So factually, when 50 year old fans do the fish hook it is 100% because of Kodak Black. We are fortunate to have such creativity in our society.

Can't imagine anyone ever did something similar before him.

LdN

No one at Penn State did. Or are you suggesting fans didn’t do it because of Marcus Allen, who was absolutely doing it because of Kodak Black? Bottom line is folks complain about rap music and lyrics but have zero issue with related imagery if a Penn Stater does it. So, factually, when a 50 year old Penn State fan does it, he’s doing it because of Marcus Allen, who is doing it because of Kodak Black, so transitive property suggests they are doing it because of Kodak Black.

World's fastest rapper vs a court stenographer

Music is the last place I'm looking for a message. It's all about the sound and how it makes me feel. The only song in the world where I know the all the lyrics is Happy Birthday.

Closed captioning might have had problems with certain words/concepts being bleeped. Does a person do it or is it some kind of voice/language algorithm like a phone translation app? (Yes, I'm a dinosaur)

Couldn't agree more... Fear of a Black Planet is the finest rap album of all time IMHO

This could be a fun debate. There are so many ways to 'rank' rap albums. PE was all about message - less so about technique and rap artistry. That said, FOABP is an extremely important album. I'd probably go with Eminem's 'The Marshall Mathers LP' or Wu-Tang's 'Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)'; of course, nearly every one else would say Nas's 'Illmatic' or 2Pac's 'All Eyez on Me' are tops.

Closed captioning might have had problems with certain words/concepts being bleeped. Does a person do it or is it some kind of voice/language algorithm like a phone translation app? (Yes, I'm a dinosaur)
in the olden days a person did it, now with Voice recognition, I am not sure any more.

Music is the last place I'm looking for a message. It's all about the sound and how it makes me feel. The only song in the world where I know the all the lyrics is Happy Birthday.
---
Sorry but I am old school. During the 60s and 70s music changed the world because of it numerous messages.....anti-war, black civil rights, women's right, the environment. Music made the entire world a much better place.

Dated a girl once that cared just about the beat and how she could dance to it. Didn't care that much of the garbage was about raping women, abusing women, murderous gang bangers, pushing hard drugs, and more. Really, really, REALLY stupid.

Reactions: BBrown
---
Sorry but I am old school. During the 60s and 70s music changed the world because of it numerous messages.....anti-war, black civil rights, women's right, the environment. Music made the entire world a much better place.

Dated a girl once that cared just about the beat and how she could dance to it. Didn't care that much of the garbage was about raping women, abusing women, murderous gang bangers, pushing hard drugs, and more. Really, really, REALLY stupid.

Reactions: Gnat91
---

don't disagree but remember listening to the Stones banging out "F--- a Star" and Led Zep's Lemon Song. Social Media has made it worse because the more controversial, the more it gets publicity. So, for whatever reason, abusing women and calling people racial epithets is somehow, cool. Most kids don't even pay attention to it. Most kids consider it to be the anger one has deep inside but cannot, and should not, act on it.

---

I listened to all that music growing up. I just find the meaning in songs is, at best, puddle deep and often widely misinterpreted. If I want meaning on a subject, I'll read a book or a paper written about a specific subject. I often listen to music with no lyrics.

This could be a fun debate. There are so many ways to 'rank' rap albums. PE was all about message - less so about technique and rap artistry. That said, FOABP is an extremely important album. I'd probably go with Eminem's 'The Marshall Mathers LP' or Wu-Tang's 'Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)'; of course, nearly every one else would say Nas's 'Illmatic' or 2Pac's 'All Eyez on Me' are tops.

All great points. For me, I became rep/hip-hop conscience in the early 80's with Grandmaster Flash (The Message still reigns as greatest rap song of all time to me). Therefore I tend to gravitate to meaningful lyrics although I still wear out 2 Live Crew "Nasty..." I get the long term impact of Wu-Tang and agree with importance of Eminem. It took me a long time to come around on NWA. By the time the mid 90's came around I was waning on rap overall and then 2 Pac and Biggie went down and I really ejected. To be honest I haven't really cycled back into the rap/hip-hop genre since. I have been told Kanye is the greatest of his generation but I wouldn't know.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
All great points. For me, I became rep/hip-hop conscience in the early 80's with Grandmaster Flash (The Message still reigns as greatest rap song of all time to me). Therefore I tend to gravitate to meaningful lyrics although I still wear out 2 Live Crew "Nasty..." I get the long term impact of Wu-Tang and agree with importance of Eminem. It took me a long time to come around on NWA. By the time the mid 90's came around I was waning on rap overall and then 2 Pac and Biggie went down and I really ejected. To be honest I haven't really cycled back into the rap/hip-hop genre since. I have been told Kanye is the greatest of his generation but I wouldn't know.

Eh, Kanye is still a better producer than rapper IMO. He had above average mic skills IMO but his look and approach to rap was fresh when he first came out (before that no one was rapping about Louis Vuitton and collaborating with international art stars like Takashi Murakami). He’s lost his way though. J Cole is the guy everyone names as the best right now - he has a great style IMO. I still like Eminem for pure technique and writing. I think Drake is pretty great but he’s *too* prolific.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT