ADVERTISEMENT

Was the KSU band stunt offensive or hilarious?

12375CAT

Feb 15, 2012
We%20are%20big%2012_zps0wx6drqi.png

I honestly thought it was awesome. A great "double entendre" that also left K-State room for plausible deniability.

I do think it's extremely weak that your administration suspended the band director for a week. Giving into both the PC police and the wimps in Lawrence who cannot have fun (or a laugh at their own expense).

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
I honestly thought it was awesome. A great "double entendre" that also left K-State room for plausible deniability.

I do think it's extremely weak that your administration suspended the band director for a week. Giving into both the PC police and the wimps in Lawrence who cannot have fun (or a laugh at their own expense).

KU_zpstp4lvjug.png

I watched a video of the show and, if I didn't know about the controversy, I would have no idea what the hell the formation was. I'd call it neither offensive or hilarious, but simply a poor performance.

As most of you know, I'm a KU grad.

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the band or the band director. Very ridiculous he was suspended. This political correctness is running amuck.

I honestly couldn't tell what some pervs thought it was OR what it was supposed to be until I read the commentary.

Thought the Jayhawk looked good, though!

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Mixed signals. First they said it was the starship enterprise and showed the drawing of the formation. Now they apologize and suspend the band director. Which one is it?

Probably the band's doing. When I was in the Blue Band, during practice at ASU Stadium for the Fiesta Bowl following the1980 or 1981season, we turned the Floating Lions into the Floating LOINS!
We did that at a Tuesday night practice under the lights in about '87 (give or take). Thought Ned was going to have a coronary (which was the point). The band just burst out laughing when he got on the bullhorn. Took him a minute to figure out we intentionally rewrote the drill, and coordinated it without the staff knowing.

It was his fault. He always told us stories about how he had dreams that we spelled LIONS wrong in Beaver Stadium, which with the amount of drilling we did, and the complexity of that drill, would be nearly impossible to do... except on purpose.

As for KSU... it might have been an assistant, or the kids, but someone knew what they were doing. That said, it was a complete overreaction. Very telling that the Hayhawk formation was very crisp, but the starship formation was... a little vague. Especially if you compare it to the drill chart (it was posted online).

I love the fact that these kids did this, college fun at its finest. We went out to Purdue a couple of years ago and their band is talented and full of characters. They also chant off the wall stuff " Iowa Sucks " the entire second half when we were there.

Good for KSU band.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT