ADVERTISEMENT

Was talking to a (M)Ad Gal earlier today

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
she makes "buys" for all kinds of marketing for the company she represents. This includes TV, Newspaper, Internet, Radio, etc. ads. She said that they are all declining in value, except for the internet but the internet is too massive to control. Point is, they are all declining in value.
Except....she said that TV is declining for lots of reasons but one big one is the DVR. People now record shows like Modern Family and zip the ads. They see the show, but not the commercial. The BIG exception is sports. People want to watch sports live.

Her point is that Sports TV and Sports channels will continue to grow because that is where the marketing dollars will be spent. She said that it isn't anywhere near saturated. I Noticed the NCAA took in over $1B in 2014. Wow. And that's only going to get bigger. And that's why the TV contracts of NBA, NFL, MLB, and MLH continue to grow out of site (and that physical attendance revenue is far secondary to TV revenue).

Perhaps you knew that...but I didn't.

That is all true, they are interesting times

(1) The companies that purport to measure TV viewership (Nielsen, Rentrak) don't use Live GRPs (Gross Rating Points) as the standard anymore The standard has become Live + 7 GRPs. Meaning, # of people who watched an ad live, or within the next 7 days. These companies claim their methodology accurately measures the # of people who truly watch ads on a DVR, but it's difficult to do.

(2) TV does do some tricks ---- for instance, when you watch "Modern Family" or whatever on your cable provider's "On Demand" service, you will typically not even have the option anymore to skip/fast-forward though the ads. It is a "forced watch."

(3) Companies like Disney that have lots of Sports inventory will leverage that ---- "oh, so you want ads on ESPN during the ACC Tournament??? Then you must also spend some $$$ on these others TV channels." That dynamic is sort of acting as a counter-weight against generally decreasing ad rates for non-sports TV channels.

(4) I --- like your friend --- agree with the sentiment that "sports TV isn't anywhere near saturated." I know the prevailing wisdom is that it IS reaching the saturation point --- but I don't think we're even close.

Re: That is all true, they are interesting times

I would have to agree the sports TV isn't saturated. I can think of quite a few schools in the Big Ten that would really like a channel that replays some of their old football games. I gave up even looking for PSU when during this year's national championship the Big Ten Channel was airing a show on OSU football.

Re: That is all true, they are interesting times

Originally posted by psualt:

I would have to agree the sports TV isn't saturated. I can think of quite a few schools in the Big Ten that would really like a channel that replays some of their old football games. I gave up even looking for PSU when during this year's national championship the Big Ten Channel was airing a show on OSU football.
Even though the wins were restored and the sanctions were removed, I don't expect btn to replay more PSU games. They probably still won't show any PSU wins between 1998 and 2011.

$100 internet dollars says that come "Penn State Day" this summer

BTN shows some football games from the 1998-2011 Penn State era. E.g., 2008 Ohio State, 2005 Ohio State, et cetera.

A "Penn State Channel" like that is best left (IMO) to the digital space

Let's be honest --- WE like watching Pinstripe Bowl and 2008 Ohio State and 1994 Michigan re-runs. But we're the only ones who like that.

Same dynamic for the Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, et cetera fanbases.

Re-runs of old football games just aren't great $$$ makers for a network. Yes, BTN does that in the summer --- what else are they going to do? And there's a reason they went 24/7 Ohio State prior to the National Title Game: the Buckeye fans would watch, it was more ad $$$ generated from that programming vs. doing anything else (e.g., airing a Pinstripe Bowl re-run).

If I were BTN, I'd warehouse a whole bunch of those games on BTN.com, then provide them for free, while making some nominal $$$ by sticking advertisements in them every once in a while.

This post was edited on 3/12 2:27 PM by michnittlion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT