ADVERTISEMENT

Was Rashard Casey the most inconsistent player in Penn State football history?

Was Rashard Casey the most inconsistent player in Penn State football history?

• Yes

• No

• Listed my pick below:

Results are only viewable after voting.
They didn’t know how to play him. Because of him they figured out how to use Robinson and Clark and perhaps mills.

From what I recall hearing, Casey was too inconsistent in practice to win the starting job. They recognized his skills and wanted to use them, but felt they needed to limit him because he just made too many mistakes in practice. When he got into games, that sometimes was apparent. He was either the most amazing player ever, or a liability. We needed him to be somewhere in between for the majority of plays!

When he was forced into the starting role in the '99 Alamo Bowl and played well, I think that boosted his confidence and the staff's confidence in his abilities and opened the door to whatever consistency he attained. he was fun to watch, no doubt.

Doug Strang was a very unusual quarterback. There were games when he was just lights out throwing the ball, super accurate. There were other games when he was a very elusive runner, and would run for over 100 yards. A few times, actually more than a few, when under duress, Doug would actually throw the ball left handed, and complete short passes to avoid a sack. I've never seen that kind of thing before, he was actually ambidextrous.

Doug is an excellent and very successful accountant!

From what I recall hearing, Casey was too inconsistent in practice to win the starting job. They recognized his skills and wanted to use them, but felt they needed to limit him because he just made too many mistakes in practice. When he got into games, that sometimes was apparent. He was either the most amazing player ever, or a liability. We needed him to be somewhere in between for the majority of plays!

When he was forced into the starting role in the '99 Alamo Bowl and played well, I think that boosted his confidence and the staff's confidence in his abilities and opened the door to whatever consistency he attained. he was fun to watch, no doubt.

JMO but I though Joe and the staff wasted his skill set. They literally drew a box on the practice field and told him not to go out of it. That was not his game.
I think Jay learned from that and thats how we ended up with the offense we had for Mills but especially for Mrob and DClark.

Reactions: Bob78
I'll say this...if Rashard Casey was the qb in this offense he'd be the most dangerous qb in all of college football he was the Vick, young, Lamar Jackson way before their time. His run vs Illinois was the best scramble I ever watched at that time. And yes I loved Kevin Thompson too but not because he was a great qb or his game winning pass to Chafie but because he broke his hand on Jays face.

Adding to this, I would have loved to see what Eddie Drummond could've done in JoMo's offense as well, either at running back or wide receiver or both.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Adding to this, I would have loved to see what Eddie Drummond could've done in JoMo's offense as well, either at running back or wide receiver or both.

IDK, Eddie Drummond had a problem catching and holding on to passes. I think thats why they switched him to be more of a RB. Although at that time we already had a very, very crowded backfield.

Reactions: palmettolion
I seem to remember the Rashard Casey experiment a bit differently. Didn't Rashard state, when he committed out of HS, that he was coming to Penn State to learn to be a Pro-Style QB? He wanted to be a Pro-Style QB to give him a chance to make it in the NFL. Did I dream this? I'll have to search for info later today.

I seem to remember the Rashard Casey experiment a bit differently. Didn't Rashard state, when he committed out of HS, that he was coming to Penn State to learn to be a Pro-Style QB? He wanted to be a Pro-Style QB to give him a chance to make it in the NFL. Did I dream this? I'll have to search for info later today.

I think you are correct and I think thats why he didn't go to Nebraska.

IDK, Eddie Drummond had a problem catching and holding on to passes. I think thats why they switched him to be more of a RB. Although at that time we already had a very, very crowded backfield.

Agreed, he had that breakout year in 99 and then kind of regressed. I was always baffled at how he struggled at times with catching passes in college but was pretty good at securing punts and kicks in the NFL. Still think he would've been fun to watch in JoMo's offense, yips and all.

Reactions: BBrown
The best thing about Casey? After the idiot Dave Jones trashed him, then was proven wrong, Jones wet crapped himself when he saw Casey out in public. Then the tool never printed a retraction, and hasn't until this day.

I'll say this...if Rashard Casey was the qb in this offense he'd be the most dangerous qb in all of college football he was the Vick, young, Lamar Jackson way before their time. His run vs Illinois was the best scramble I ever watched at that time. And yes I loved Kevin Thompson too but not because he was a great qb or his game winning pass to Chafie but because he broke his hand on Jays face.
If I remember right, in his attempt to make Casey a pocket passer, early on Joe forbid him to run. I picture Joe wincing and shaking his head when he did.
I'm not sure how fast he was, but Casey seemed to make the right moves and make the defense look like they were running in slow motion.
I do remember him having some weakness in passing, and adjustments teams made related to this, might have been his inaccuracy when he was kept in the pocket for long time...seems to be common with running quarterbacks.
I still wonder why they didn't plan to use his running abilities more, especially at key times.
I remember the team not running one QB run after getting inside MSU's 10 yard line very easily....in fact, Casey may not have been in the game at all in that series.

Reactions: BBrown
Doug is an excellent and very successful accountant!
I wonder if he took the first two intro courses on that video closed circuit setup with Nelson. Guy would mumble into his little microphone, and make it a challenge to even know what he was saying while teaching. To make it worse I had this chick sitting next to me who was always dressed up in "Flashdance" gear. LOL.

JMO but I though Joe and the staff wasted his skill set. They literally drew a box on the practice field and told him not to go out of it. That was not his game.
I think Jay learned from that and thats how we ended up with the offense we had for Mills but especially for Mrob and DClark.
I just said that

Casey would have done much better in an offense like Moorehead's or even the offense that Michael Robinson ran where he had more freedom to use his legs.

One player I felt that was misused in the 90's was Kenny Watson. He barely played RB at PSU and went on to have a very nice NFL career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT