Voices from beyond: RBG calls court-packing a 'bad idea' (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
"If anything would make the Court look partisan," Ginsburg said, "it would be that—one side saying, 'When we're in power, we're going to enlarge the number of judges, so we would have more people who would vote the way we want them to.'"

Ginsburg also said that it "was a bad idea when President Franklin Roosevelt tried to pack the court."

Democrats, please enlighten me...

Where in the Constitution does it say the Judiciary is not a separate but equal branch of government?

Where in the Constitution does it say a confirmation cannot happen in an election year?

Where in the Constitution does it say a president serves 3 years, 8 months and not a full 4 years?

I'm dying to see it!

You know, it is alarming how democrats are willing to 'burn it all down' for the sake of the party. Don't look now but that's communism. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then...

Lastly, I find it amusing how democratic operatives threaten to pack the court should Trump and McConnel exercise their Constitutional duty, for it presumes Biden is going to win. That's a bold prediction given Biden's fitness for office, which will come full circle in the debates. Sure, a democrat-controlled Senate can expand SCOTUS but those seats will sit empty until Trump gets the nominees confirmed he wants.

Who approves a nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court?
Supreme Court nominees, after being selected by the president must be approved by a simple majority vote (51 votes) of the Senate. Under Article II of the Constitution, the President of the United States alone is empowered to nominate Supreme Court Justices and the U.S. Senate is required to confirm those nominations.

Vote Trump. In defense of The Constitution.

I thank you.

Reactions: Ski and gjbankos

b&w1987

Oct 8, 2005
Houston
If you want to make the Supreme court a joke and dilute their power forever go ahead and follow this path. So Democrats land more justices. Then when Republicans have the Congress they can follow suit. In a few decades you will have more Justices than Congress persons. Why don't the gutless Democrats just come out and say any institution they can't win by popular vote or control following current Constitutional rules they will destroy?

PSU Dave

Jul 17, 2001
"If anything would make the Court look partisan," Ginsburg said, "it would be that—one side saying, 'When we're in power, we're going to enlarge the number of judges, so we would have more people who would vote the way we want them to.'"

Ginsburg also said that it "was a bad idea when President Franklin Roosevelt tried to pack the court."

Democrats, please enlighten me...

Where in the Constitution does it say the Judiciary is not a separate but equal branch of government?

Where in the Constitution does it say a confirmation cannot happen in an election year?

Where in the Constitution does it say a president serves 3 years, 8 months and not a full 4 years?

I'm dying to see it!

You know, it is alarming how democrats are willing to 'burn it all down' for the sake of the party. Don't look now but that's communism. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then...

Lastly, I find it amusing how democratic operatives threaten to pack the court should Trump and McConnel exercise their Constitutional duty, for it presumes Biden is going to win. That's a bold prediction given Biden's fitness for office, which will come full circle in the debates. Sure, a democrat-controlled Senate can expand SCOTUS but those seats will sit empty until Trump gets the nominees confirmed he wants.

Who approves a nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court?
Supreme Court nominees, after being selected by the president must be approved by a simple majority vote (51 votes) of the Senate. Under Article II of the Constitution, the President of the United States alone is empowered to nominate Supreme Court Justices and the U.S. Senate is required to confirm those nominations.

Vote Trump. In defense of The Constitution.

I thank you.

I agree that packing is wrong.

I think we should wait though and see if Lindsey will deliver.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Hey Accountant/Cartographer: Where in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court must have any particular number of justices?

You're not very good at this.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
If you want to make the Supreme court a joke and dilute their power forever go ahead and follow this path. So Democrats land more justices. Then when Republicans have the Congress they can follow suit. In a few decades you will have more Justices than Congress persons. Why don't the gutless Democrats just come out and say any institution they can't win by popular vote or control following current Constitutional rules they will destroy?

Because anything the communist-democrat touches turns into cluster f_ck. It goes without saying.

Reactions: Ski

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Hey Accountant/Cartographer: Where in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court must have any particular number of justices?

Hey ambulance chaser, where do I bring up increasing the number of justices?? That in itself is not the issue. The Senate can vote to increase (or decrease) the number of supreme court justices anytime. The issue is 'packing', which implies making SCOTUS politically partisan. At any rate, only the president can fill those seats through nomination. Even as a majority leader Crying Chuck Schumer can't do jack $hit about that. And seeing how Trump will be reelected that's what matters most.

One week to the first debate. I can't wait to see Biden get creamed! I envision him losing his temper and making an @ss out of himself. Only snorting a line of cocaine will save him. Search Hunter for contraband before he heads backstage.

I thank you.

Reactions: Ski

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001

FDR tried it in 1937 when SCOTUS voted some of his "new deal" programs to be unconstitutional. It was allowed to die and has been largely scoffed at since then. I think something like this would further damage the effective govt of the USA. Nine is the rule, but as you suggest, it isn't specifically in the constitution.