ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Are there any Americans on the American team?
All of them are. You see you have to be a citizen to play for a country.

ZiVH5ocTcxqaj7QYQrmRmlUiFNQqDp7MUixu6VY44l-dkIRo5YFY0QyZo4saT0oSmD-9cqrgwgrzBPNrG4MPRkpMVXQ9WlHOrevFve-0H_qdbX7smRY_Eht2l_A-zcQF0X-llPhT-XaTFJO7j4dNvyBjyJwYgg

Reactions: smealpsu2005
All of them are. You see you have to be a citizen to play for a country.

ZiVH5ocTcxqaj7QYQrmRmlUiFNQqDp7MUixu6VY44l-dkIRo5YFY0QyZo4saT0oSmD-9cqrgwgrzBPNrG4MPRkpMVXQ9WlHOrevFve-0H_qdbX7smRY_Eht2l_A-zcQF0X-llPhT-XaTFJO7j4dNvyBjyJwYgg
Players holding immigrant ties of any nationality, Germany and beyond, have been significant to the player pool for the past decade. Defining “immigrant ties” in this context means players who were either born or raised abroad, had at least one immigrant parent, or had access to a foreign passport through family ties (more on that in a moment). Forty-eight percent of players who made appearances for the USMNT between 2008-18 fall under this umbrella.

I know the last national team was led by proud American Jurgen Klinsmann. And that the US team has many players who are "American" but don't live here and only identify as such because they couldn't get on their own nation's team. But then again, it's soccer, so who cares. I will show myself out.

Players holding immigrant ties of any nationality, Germany and beyond, have been significant to the player pool for the past decade. Defining “immigrant ties” in this context means players who were either born or raised abroad, had at least one immigrant parent, or had access to a foreign passport through family ties (more on that in a moment). Forty-eight percent of players who made appearances for the USMNT between 2008-18 fall under this umbrella.

I know the last national team was led by proud American Jurgen Klinsmann. And that the US team has many players who are "American" but don't live here and only identify as such because they couldn't get on their own nation's team. But then again, it's soccer, so who cares. I will show myself out.

LOL, it sounds like you walk into a ton of topics you know nothing about. Buh Bye.

I'm hoping to see Joe Scally at some point.
Me too, though I do wonder how he fits in with Dest. At one point, I thought Dest was versatile enough to play on either side…but every time I’ve seen him on the left, he doesn’t look nearly as comfortable (or good). I’ve only seen Scally on the right, so while he might not be a consistent starter today, I’d love to see him be a part of our depth.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Me too, though I do wonder how he fits in with Dest. At one point, I thought Dest was versatile enough to play on either side…but every time I’ve seen him on the left, he doesn’t look nearly as comfortable (or good). I’ve only seen Scally on the right, so while he might not be a consistent starter today, I’d love to see him be a part of our depth.
Agree. Way more comfortable on the right. Busio and Musah have bright futures on this squad. Glad Musah bounced back last night. So great at turning people.

I was fortunate enough to attend the game last night. How did the crowd sound through the broadcast? Lower.com field seems to have a good crowd presence.
Good...lots of USA songs and chants. unlike Austin where it seemed the partisanship was in the visitor's favor. mexico will be a test for the fans in Cincy.

Reactions: GreggK
Your anti-Berhalter bias is showing when you make a comment like “he prefers MLS over European players”. It’s not remotely true. His meaningful squads are loaded with guys from Europe. Look at who we played in the Nations League final…look at the qualifiers. Tonight, we started 9 Euros and two guys from MLS (and at this point, Pepi is our best option at the 9, and I’d take Miles over any other CB in the pool).

Sarge didn’t get called in because Pepi is in better form right now, and Sarge was next to worthless in the last window, plus he wouldn’t have been able to play in one of the games. Doesn’t matter that Sarge is in the Prem and Pepi is in MLS when one is scoring for both club and country, and the other isn’t.

To an extent, sure, but the quote from the Norwich quote is just that. I didn't make up. I have no problem with Pepi in the lineup. The kid has shown he belongs there. Zardes on the other hand.......

I just think Gregg Berhalter was made coach because his idiot brother wanted him to be coach. Also, I feel my anti-Berhalter bias is very well founded. He lost to Panama and drew to freaking Canada and El Salvador. He over thinks things, plays players out of position and because of those mistakes, is forced to use up all of his subs at halftime to try to fix it. That is not the sign of a good coach.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
To an extent, sure, but the quote from the Norwich quote is just that. I didn't make up. I have no problem with Pepi in the lineup. The kid has shown he belongs there. Zardes on the other hand.......

I just think Gregg Berhalter was made coach because his idiot brother wanted him to be coach. Also, I feel my anti-Berhalter bias is very well founded. He lost to Panama and drew to freaking Canada and El Salvador. He over thinks things, plays players out of position and because of those mistakes, is forced to use up all of his subs at halftime to try to fix it. That is not the sign of a good coach.
Fact checking your "he's forced to use up all of his subs at halftime" point...we've played 14 competitive fixtures this year (Nations League, Gold Cup, and Qualifiers). In those 14 games, 12 times, he made zero subs at halftime. Once (Panama last week), he made 2 subs. Once, the Honduras game he made 3 subs (in that game, we were down 1-0 at the half, and the subs led us to a 4-1 win). I swear, if Berhalter was born in Europe, people would look at the Honduras game and say "wow, what a great coach, he made those halftime adjustments and completely changed the game".

Berhalter's brother must have had incredible pull to also get him his job in Europe (first American to coach a first division European club), and have a good deal of success in MLS. The criticism of him becoming coach reminds me of 21Guns claiming that Pat Chambers only became coach at PSU because his brother was an alum (when he came from a Pennsylvania family that had about 15 kids).

Farke can come up with whatever theories he wants as to why Sarge wasn't called it...but I'd like for him to explain then why Hoppe, Weah, Aaronson, Busio, etc were there this month. Or why guys like Richards or Shaq Moore were playing while there were certainly MLS options in their place.

And I thought Zardes showed extremely well last night...lots of work at both ends of the field.

I certainly disagree with some of Berhalter's tactics or some of his personnel decisions...but he's far from unqualified, or the idiot that many make him out to be. And he deserves way more credit for what he's done in 2021 than some want to give him.

Fact checking your "he's forced to use up all of his subs at halftime" point...we've played 14 competitive fixtures this year (Nations League, Gold Cup, and Qualifiers). In those 14 games, 12 times, he made zero subs at halftime. Once (Panama last week), he made 2 subs. Once, the Honduras game he made 3 subs (in that game, we were down 1-0 at the half, and the subs led us to a 4-1 win). I swear, if Berhalter was born in Europe, people would look at the Honduras game and say "wow, what a great coach, he made those halftime adjustments and completely changed the game".

Berhalter's brother must have had incredible pull to also get him his job in Europe (first American to coach a first division European club), and have a good deal of success in MLS. The criticism of him becoming coach reminds me of 21Guns claiming that Pat Chambers only became coach at PSU because his brother was an alum (when he came from a Pennsylvania family that had about 15 kids).

Farke can come up with whatever theories he wants as to why Sarge wasn't called it...but I'd like for him to explain then why Hoppe, Weah, Aaronson, Busio, etc were there this month. Or why guys like Richards or Shaq Moore were playing while there were certainly MLS options in their place.

And I thought Zardes showed extremely well last night...lots of work at both ends of the field.

I certainly disagree with some of Berhalter's tactics or some of his personnel decisions...but he's far from unqualified, or the idiot that many make him out to be. And he deserves way more credit for what he's done in 2021 than some want to give him.
He beat Mexico's A squad twice this summer....but people are just waiting to hate on him. It's almost a proactive thing.

Reactions: A2Nit
It didn’t come across that way on TV either. It was rocking.
It definitely was. I've been at pretty much every match at Austin's new stadium this year. We've hosted a USWNT friendly, USMNT Gold cup semi, Austin FC MLS games and an international friendly, and finally the USMNT WC qualifier. The prior national team matches were more tame, substantially less so than our Austin FC MLS matches. But the WC qualifier was different, the energy was as good as any of the Austin FC matches was clearly for the home team.

It definitely was. I've been at pretty much every match at Austin's new stadium this year. We've hosted a USWNT friendly, USMNT Gold cup semi, Austin FC MLS games and an international friendly, and finally the USMNT WC qualifier. The prior national team matches were more tame, substantially less so than our Austin FC MLS matches. But the WC qualifier was different, the energy was as good as any of the Austin FC matches was clearly for the home team.
I go to the Orlando FC matches a few times each season. I’ll be in Austin next month and plan on getting the Austin FC black and green jersey while I’m there. Love that jersey.

Reactions: LionJim
I go to the Orlando FC matches a few times each season. I’ll be in Austin next month and plan on getting the Austin FC black and green jersey while I’m there. Love that jersey.
I think it's a good jersey too--however, nothing from A*stin is permitted in this house. We are The Crew. Though I'm not as miffed at that city like I used to be. We did get a ring last year (and actually all season ticket holders got a replica).

I was not at the game (too pricy, though I'd probably have paid it for Mexico). The funny thing was that there were a few audible "F U Precourt" cheers to be heard on the broadcast (in the "Glory to the US" cheers).:D

I think it's a good jersey too--however, nothing from A*stin is permitted in this house. We are The Crew. Though I'm not as miffed at that city like I used to be. We did get a ring last year (and actually all season ticket holders got a replica).

I was not at the game (too pricy, though I'd probably have paid it for Mexico). The funny thing was that there were a few audible "F U Precourt" cheers to be heard on the broadcast (in the "Glory to the US" cheers).:D
My inlaws are all there and I already have a couple Orlando jersey's and about 6 Man United. Need to have some variety. ;) It's not like I'll be wearing to Orlando matches.

My inlaws are all there and I already have a couple Orlando jersey's and about 6 Man United. Need to have some variety. ;) It's not like I'll be wearing to Orlando matches.
I've got game-worns from about half the league. Including Orlando, which I just got. Their purple one (the one I got) is really nice. A good chunk of the Bundesliga too (including Bradley and Hedjuk)--and a couple from PSU.

I've got game-worns from about half the league. Including Orlando, which I just got. Their purple one (the one I got) is really nice. A good chunk of the Bundesliga too (including Bradley and Hedjuk)--and a couple from PSU.
I love Hedjuk...his little dance was one of the best ever. One jersey I really want to get is the all white PSU hockey...maybe put it on Santa's list this year.

You may have a hard time finding it in stock depending on your size. I ended up paying more for the authentic one over the replica because the medium replicas were out of stock for over a month. The store at the stadium is frequently out, particularly after a game. They did just open a second store downtown, about 10 miles from the stadium, so maybe they have better inventory there.

Reactions: LaJollaLion

I see it as a win-win. Columbus got to keep their team, got a ring, got rid of an owner they didn't want, and got a shiny new stadium. Austin got the team they wanted as well. I never really understood why Crew fans directed hate at Austin and its fans, they had nothing to do with the Austin clause and how Precourt treated Columbus. Most people I talked to said they'd have preferred not getting a team at Columbus' expense, they just wanted a team.

You may have a hard time finding it in stock depending on your size. I ended up paying more for the authentic one over the replica because the medium replicas were out of stock for over a month. The store at the stadium is frequently out, particularly after a game. They did just open a second store downtown, about 10 miles from the stadium, so maybe they have better inventory there.
This appears to be true for our team (The Crew) as well. No jerseys to be had at all. Supply issues. Which seems to be true everywhere in the country for a lot of items.

This appears to be true for our team (The Crew) as well. No jerseys to be had at all. Supply issues. Which seems to be true everywhere in the country for a lot of items.
Have you checked with Fairgambit Enterprises? You might get some inferior quality jerseys for exorbitant prices.

I see it as a win-win. Columbus got to keep their team, got a ring, got rid of an owner they didn't want, and got a shiny new stadium. Austin got the team they wanted as well. I never really understood why Crew fans directed hate at Austin and its fans, they had nothing to do with the Austin clause and how Precourt treated Columbus. Most people I talked to said they'd have preferred not getting a team at Columbus' expense, they just wanted a team.
Well, it wasn't a win-win at first. It was a very difficult battle. And it may still not be a "win-win" for Garbles (Garber). You should have heard the boos when he was here for the Campeones Cup. To his credit, he made a joke about it--but he might have even been more hated than a M*chigander.

If you've not been through losing a team or almost losing one.... We got a lot of folks from A*stin who jumped on our boards telling what an awful city we are and how they would do it so much better. Some still do that. Some celebs did that. They were wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT