ADVERTISEMENT

USC connected to Robert E. Lee?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
LOL. Robert E. Lee's most famous horse was named "Traveller." Guess what the name of the Trojans' white horse mascot is. Couldn't happen to a more douchey bunch of people. Eff them.

The consensus on the Cal boards is that the SC mascot's name should be changed to "Horsey McHorseface."

https://sports.yahoo.com/usc-mascot-comes-under-fire-174950068.html

Did Traveller own slaves? I know his owner didn't. The same can't be said for the owner of General Grant's horse.
Yeah, nope on the whole Lee didn't own slaves thing. He also wasn't a conflicted slave owner that was kind and gentle to his slaves. He may have been more motivated by his love for his state than protecting his way of life as it pertained to slavery, but it completely false to say that he didn't own slaves and therefore have some personal/financial interest.

Reactions: BBrown
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

All this being said, it doesn't mean that statues of Lee should be or shouldn't be torn down. Jefferson owned slaves, Washington owned slaves, I haven't researched this, but I would be that just about every president coming from the south prior to the civil war had slaves. My opinion on this is that it wasn't illegal and you can't apply today's moral standards on people's actions 150 years before.

Reactions: bmw199
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

All this being said, it doesn't mean that statues of Lee should be or shouldn't be torn down. Jefferson owned slaves, Washington owned slaves, I haven't researched this, but I would be that just about every president coming from the south prior to the civil war had slaves. My opinion on this is that it wasn't illegal and you can't apply today's moral standards on people's actions 150 years before.

He also took up arms against our nation. Again, these statues aren't being torn down, they are being moved. What most people want is that they not be given such prominent placement in town squares or on public land. They want them moved to a more historically appropriate location. Who the hell needs a giant confederate soldier at the entrance to a courthouse.

Reactions: BoulderFish
Did Traveller own slaves? I know his owner didn't. The same can't be said for the owner of General Grant's horse.[/QUOTE
200.gif

This is what happens when you get your "alternative facts" from Kelly Ann.

Agree to a point. I do think we can apply some moral standards though.
I mean even Jefferson knew it was wrong, he just didn't know how to fix it.
Also there were a lot of people in the north that knew it was wrong as well.
JMO but at some point it didn't have anything to do with "morals" but how can they (south) keep
the money train rolling along.

I've never worn Lee jeans because I've felt it sends the wrong message.
It is well known that Lee jeans are the favorite of gloveless, tong-less pastry-gropers worldwide. Never follow a Lee man through the breakfast buffet.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
A friend and I were on a bus to the stadium for the PSU & Auburn bowl game in florida. We were decked in psu gear, probably the only ones on the bus. An auburn guy says to us "we're gonna whup you like we did in the civil war." No joke. We just kinda looked around for other people laughing, but nobody was. We just let it slide, as my friend was a minority and he wasn't looking for any southern justice.

A friend and I were on a bus to the stadium for the PSU & Auburn bowl game in florida. We were decked in psu gear, probably the only ones on the bus. An auburn guy says to us "we're gonna whup you like we did in the civil war." No joke. We just kinda looked around for other people laughing, but nobody was. We just let it slide, as my friend was a minority and he wasn't looking for any southern justice.

Nobody was laughing because they thought, like yourselves, that the guy was an idiot.

My bus story... PSU at Rutgers. You know the game where everyone complains about Rutgers.

We are on a bus to the stadium area. A few PSU fans but grossly outnumbered. Very quiet and peaceful. A PSU fan then yells out... let's here it for Ray Rice!

Noone laughed at that either. Of course this opened the door for boorish behavior by the drunk Rutgers fans the remainder of the trip.

LdN

Reactions: harbest
I agree, that is why I'm starting a petition to have statues of Benedict Arnold placed throughout the country ??? It is NOT just the slave owning issue IT IS the TRAITOR issue. Which trumps (sorry for the use of this word) everything !!!
I do not think Washington or Jefferson have statues in England. You think? Why? because in the English world they were traitors.
The South "honored" traitors and calls them heroes ????
That is not accurate. This statue of Washington stands in Trafalgar Square. Admittedly, it was a gift from Virginia in 1924, but the Brits accepted it and, obviously, prominently display it.
GW-Statue_3309.jpg

Last edited:
Talk about rewriting history. Lee absolutely owned slaves.
He owned one slave that he inherited and treated him like the human being he was before releasing him. The Civil war was fought over 150 years ago, the abolitionists won, SLAVERY WAS ABOLISHED by the 13th amendment to the constitution. Apparently, like Penn State football, some people can't let go of the past and are afraid to look to the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howie'81
That is not accurate. This statue of Washington stands in Trafalgar Square. Admittedly, it was a gift from Virginia in 1924, but the Brits accepted it and, obviously, prominently display it.
GW-Statue_3309.jpg
There is also Ethan Allen's story of the portrait of General Washington in the outhouse in England, where the punchline is "Nothing makes and Englishmen sh!t faster than the sight of General Washington." It was a favorite of President Lincoln.

GW-Statue_3309.jpg

Guy Fawkes was a traitor. They have an entire day named after him in the UK.
His mask is also very prominent today.

It's interesting how the Guy Fawkes mask is popular in the same group as those who want to tear down Lee statues.

LdN

All below were slave owners:

Charles Carroll Maryland
Samuel Chase Maryland
Benjamin Franklin Pennsylvania
Button Gwinnett Georgia
John Hancock Massachusetts
Patrick Henry Virginia
John Jay New York
Thomas Jefferson Virginia
Richard Henry Lee Virginia
James Madison Virginia
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney South Carolina
Benjamin Rush Pennsylvania
Edward Rutledge South Carolina
George Washington Virginia

Tear all their statues and monuments down where they exist, and rename our Capital.

They need to change the name of Vanderbilt University after what we've discovered about Anderson Cooper and his ancestors.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Kind of cool his home was turned into a Cemetery!
Very appropriate :)
It wasn't Lee's home originally . Custis-Lee mansion was owned by Mary Lee's father, When he died, Lee had to take a leave of absence from the army to get the house in order and take over the day to day running. After the war broke out, union quartermaster Montgomery Meigs was so distraught over the death of his son, he started the action that allowed the government to take over the Lee property. In his mind, he blamed Lee for his son's death and had his beloved son buried in what was Lee's rose garden.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
It wasn't Lee's home originally . Custis-Lee mansion was owned by Mary Lee's father, When he died, Lee had to take a leave of absence from the army to get the house in order and take over the day to day running. After the war broke out, union quartermaster Montgomery Meigs was so distraught over the death of his son, he started the action that allowed the government to take over the Lee property. In his mind, he blamed Lee for his son's death and had his beloved son buried in what was Lee's rose garden.

who killed Meigs' son? funny how Meigs had deep southern roots but detested the Confederacy.

Isn't this a bit too controversial for this nothing but football board? Or so I've been told. To the test board with this!

All below were slave owners:

Charles Carroll Maryland
Samuel Chase Maryland
Benjamin Franklin Pennsylvania
Button Gwinnett Georgia
John Hancock Massachusetts
Patrick Henry Virginia
John Jay New York
Thomas Jefferson Virginia
Richard Henry Lee Virginia
James Madison Virginia
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney South Carolina
Benjamin Rush Pennsylvania
Edward Rutledge South Carolina
George Washington Virginia

Tear all their statues and monuments down where they exist, and rename our Capital.

Which of those listed took up arms against the United States?

Isn't this a bit too controversial for this nothing but football board? Or so I've been told. To the test board with this!

Many tests are considered racially biased.

The test board may be so as well simply due to it's name.

LdN

Nobody was laughing because they thought, like yourselves, that the guy was an idiot.

My bus story... PSU at Rutgers. You know the game where everyone complains about Rutgers.

We are on a bus to the stadium area. A few PSU fans but grossly outnumbered. Very quiet and peaceful. A PSU fan then yells out... let's here it for Ray Rice!

Noone laughed at that either. Of course this opened the door for boorish behavior by the drunk Rutgers fans the remainder of the trip.

LdN

Yea well if I was a RU fan that would have pissed me off too (drunk or sober) and I would have absolutely gone Jerry Sandusky scorched earth on the PSU fan.
That kind of PSU fan gives the rest of us a bad name.

With all these monuments and Civil War statues and memorials being torn down, I'm curious as to where the line gets drawn. Will Mount Vernon and Monticello be burned to the ground or razed? Maybe the Army will send a few M1/A2 Abrams Tanks to South Dakota's Black Hills and blow the faces off half the faces on Mt. Rushmore? For those on this board who - like this Pennsylvania boy - have lived in the south at some point during their lives, you know the pride some of the folks in Dixie take in having a great-great-great grandfather who was a Rebel in Lee's army or served under Stonewall Jackson, etc...It's gotta be a tough time for them these days. When the Washington Monument or Jefferson Memorial get torn down I think we may have a big problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and bmw199

Meh, I don't know. Perhaps my history is wrong here, but did Washington or Jefferson lead an army of thousands of traitors to kill 400,000 Americans.
But I don't know, maybe my history is a bit off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT