ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today CFB Asst Coach Compensation

That’s one of the reasons Franklins hires are below the radar guys or recently fired coaches.

When a strength coach makes more than most university presidents, medical school deans, and 99% of pediatricians, the system is irretrievably broken.

I’d be pissed if Eric Barron (sp?) PSU Prez makes more than Franklin. The latter is completely likeable, drives revenue, has the courage of his convictions, and is a great ambassador for the school. Eric Barron is a putz

Reactions: roswelllion and Art
So Minnesota has 3 assistants making more than Pry? Remember this next time the 'Franklin to ____' rumors start

LOL Rutgers pays their OC 600k

So Minnesota has 3 assistants making more than Pry? Remember this next time the 'Franklin to ____' rumors start

LOL Rutgers pays their OC 600k

And all of them, like Fleck, are grossly overpaid.

I’d be pissed if Eric Barron (sp?) PSU Prez makes more than Franklin. The latter is completely likeable, drives revenue, has the courage of his convictions, and is a great ambassador for the school. Eric Barron is a putz
Barron isn't worth a tub of onion dip

Reactions: roswelllion
There are services were people pay a lot of money to watch teachers and nurses

5 OSU assistants being paid more then highest assistant on PSU team. Multiple other BIG schools with with multiple coaches getting paid more then Pry. No wonder Franklin gets these unknown coaches and the good ones been leaving.

Last edited:
Wisky,Penn State and Michigan have very attractive defefered compensation life insurance policies on their coaches.Meatkicten took out a 7,000,000 dollar policy on hairball.

5 OSU assistants being paid more then highest assistant on PSU team. Multiple other BIG schools with with multiple coaches getting paid more then Pry. No wonder Franklin gets these unknown coaches and the good ones been leaving.

Look at it another way. Pry makes more than Chambers and Barbour makes more than both of them. I'm sure she can justify that.

There is no way of reaching that conclusion.
Penn State doesn’t release that salary info (shocking, I’m sure)...... though I would fully expect OSU has at least a couple guys making higher salaries than guys on the PSU staff.

The only PSU related thing in that database (IIRC) is dated info from a few years back wrt Pry (which was available only because it fell into that “top X” most highly-compensated employees thing that is required to be publically listed by the State) and no one knows - even at that time - what was included (bonuses and what not), or not included, in that figure.

What the actual salaries are? Who knows?

What one CAN see is the TOTAL $ spent on the entire coaching staff (that is in the required annual “Title IX” reports) - - - which is one of the highest (even if not among the very highest group) in the nation.

It is what it is.

If anyone is gonna’ gripe that PSU is not paying ENOUGH to coaches of their football team...... I just don’t know what to say.

how does PSU keep their salaries secret? doesnt Pennsylvania have public records laws that force all employees to have compensation public?

There is no way of reaching that conclusion.
Penn State doesn’t release that salary info (shocking, I’m sure)...... though I would fully expect OSU has at least a couple guys making higher salaries than guys on the PSU staff.

The only PSU related thing in that database (IIRC) is dated info from a few years back wrt Pry (which was available only because it fell into that “top X” most highly-compensated employees thing that is required to be publically listed by the State) and no one knows - even at that time - what was included (bonuses and what not), or not included, in that figure.

What the actual salaries are? Who knows?

What one CAN see is the TOTAL $ spent on the entire coaching staff (that is in the required annual “Title IX” reports) - - - which is one of the highest (even if not among the very highest group) in the nation.

It is what it is.

If anyone is gonna’ gripe that PSU is not paying ENOUGH to coaches of their football team...... I just don’t know what to say.

Even without knowing specific comp numbers one can conclude from the little that is disclosed that PSU's AD does not pay well. And judging from Franklin's public comments it's apparent that he's not satisfied with the progress to address that.

how does PSU keep their salaries secret? doesnt Pennsylvania have public records laws that force all employees to have compensation public?

In case you hadn't noticed not only are PSU numbers absent from that schedule, but so are ASWP's and Temple's. Has to do with the "state-related" status of each of the schools which treats them, in some instances, as private schools (notice that there are no private schools on the list either). Guess you don't remember all of the wrangling that took place over disclosure of Paterno's salary.

In case you hadn't noticed not only are PSU numbers absent from that schedule, but so are ASWP's and Temple's. Has to do with the "state-related" status of each of the schools which treats them, in some instances, as private schools (notice that there are no private schools on the list either). Guess you don't remember all of the wrangling that took place over disclosure of Paterno's salary.

I do remember the Paterno salary discussions, but thought that all this got changed after that. it is rare that a state can keep any of its employees pay secret. not sure what logic there is, unless these schools are not part of any state benefit programs (i.e. pensions). that usually prevents the state from keeping things under wraps.

I do remember the Paterno salary discussions, but thought that all this got changed after that. it is rare that a state can keep any of its employees pay secret. not sure what logic there is, unless these schools are not part of any state benefit programs (i.e. pensions). that usually prevents the state from keeping things under wraps.

It never got changed. PSU never disclosed Paterno's salary. The newspaper(s) wound up getting the information from the state employees retirement system. PSU has always maintained that its employees are not state employees. The only compensation information it releases are what it does so voluntarily and that which is mandated by the Feds.

In a paroxysm of unbridled stupidity, in the aftermath of Sandusky, PS actually made Paterno's contract public (take that Joe, as if he cared). Did the same with O'Brien's contracts, but then stopped, presumably as they illustrated how lily-livered the administration was in caving in on OB's agents demands to reduce his buyout.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Even with as rapidly as the salaries have escalated for “Coaches” (at PSU and elsewhere) ..... PSU’s rate of increase in costs for ICA administration absolutely blows that away.
Don’t have the numbers handy vav the growth rates under Sandy, but on a realive basis they are staggering.

Had to happen. Sandy had to drag ICA by the hair into the 21st Century or so we were told again and again.

What I would have preferred to see instead of this Facilities Master Plan is a review centered on the mission, identity, and objectives of ICA. But no, that would be sacrilegious. The paramount question of such a review is how does ICA financially support 31 teams going forward. Pshaw, the answer is already known. We do it by underpaying coaches in those sports that actually make money.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT