ADVERTISEMENT

Urbs breaks down Twerp offensive scheme (link)

Man, when I watch football, there are some teams that just know how to get their players open in space...no matter how fast the defense is, it always seems like they're trying to catch up to the offense. Urban always had offenses like that. Clemson looks like that. Oklahoma has often looked like that. PSU looked like that with Joe Moorhead. It's only two games, but Locksley is making it look like that at UMd. It will be interesting to see if it sticks.

Reactions: ram2020
Some advice for Ricky Rahne there. If Hamler isn't getting the ball in space 10 times a game, or Slade.....This guys will make plays but they have to get the ball. I love that Meyer's system was so simple -- he had a card with the playmakers' names and a kind of a checklist.

Caveat to that is that you can't force the ball to them and I feel that's what we've seen a bit so far on some plays where they've gone out of their way to get Hamler the ball and it gets blown up.

Maryland will not be as easy to beat this year. The coaching and talent is improving fast in College Park. I also think Franklin views MD as our most natural rival (without using the R word of course). The talent has moved from western PA to the MD/VA/DC corridor. Franklin coached at MD. MD is not much further to Beaver Stadium geographically as Pitt. Obviously we are B10 East members. It would be great to see a rivalry grow there to supplant the anemic OH State and Michigan one.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and brupsu
Last year, Minnesota rolled to three big Non-Con wins to start the season.
And the Dinardos of the (BTN) World couldn't stop slobbering over themselves.

Then the B10 season started..... and they got their asses whooped like a rented mule.

Pump the brakes on UMd for the moment :)
The first team to whip them like a rented mule was Maryland, coincidentally. None of those 3 wins last year was as impressive as beating a ranked Syracuse team 63-20. Syracuse had Clemson in trouble last year and beat them the year before if I recall correctly. I'm hopeful that you're right, but I will say this one this year gives me some concern now where I had very little concern going into the season. Buffalo had us reeling a bit in the first half from a TOP/yardage standpoint, but couldn't score. Maryland so far has shown an ability to score.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74 and N&B4PSU
Lets remember the Syracuse team of this year is not the same as previous years. New QB, multiple personnel losses from last years team; I felt going into the year that Syracuse was significantly overrated.

Not to take away from what Maryland has done, as their offense looks very good, and the current play of our safeties has me very worried about this game since Maryland appears to like to attack the middle with their offense.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Then the B10 season started..... and they got their asses whooped like a rented mule.

Yes let's see what they do against a defense with a pulse.Syracuse was not it maybe temple

Urban and Day seem to find ways that arent forced. Rahne gets paid a lot of money to figure this out. Meyer is right though. No pt recruiting a Slade if you arent getting him the ball in space. No pt recruiting a Shorter if youre not targeting him 7 or 10 times a game downfield.

Caveat to that is that you can't force the ball to them and I feel that's what we've seen a bit so far on some plays where they've gone out of their way to get Hamler the ball and it gets blown up.

Man, when I watch football, there are some teams that just know how to get their players open in space...no matter how fast the defense is, it always seems like they're trying to catch up to the offense. Urban always had offenses like that. Clemson looks like that. Oklahoma has often looked like that. PSU looked like that with Joe Moorhead. It's only two games, but Locksley is making it look like that at UMd. It will be interesting to see if it sticks.

What is Loxleys record as a head coach?

I love a good bagel with Lox!!!!
No toasted bagel with lots of Philadelphia
Watch what they - thus far - actually have Shorter doing on a play-by-play basis (and J Johnson last year) relative to their skill sets.

What he has asked of the guys at that specific position, is one of the true head-shakers of the Rahne era thus far.
Maybe holding back a few plays?

The real differences in Maryland from the previous 2 years we've played:
--Legitimate D1 QB. I know Kasim Hill was, but he got injured and then transferred.
--Locksley's new offense

They always had good talent, but now they have a experienced play called & someone to run the offense effectively.

This will be a tough game for PSU with it being on the road @ night.

--Legitimate D1 QB. I know Kasim Hill was, but he got injured and then transferred.
--Locksley's new offense

They always had good talent, but now they have a experienced play called & someone to run the offense effectively.

Loxley :D will have to convince me his career coaching record is not indicative of what he is likely to produce against quality opposition.

Syracuse? 2019 Syracuse?

Have you SEEN 2019 Syracuse?

UMd may end up being a solid team. It wouldn't shock me (I've viewed their roster as a pretty talented one for a while now, FWIW).
But, right now, do we know that? No. We will have a better idea as the calendar turns to October.
I have not seen 2019 Syracuse, so maybe this doesn't mean that much. I was just going off the fact that they were ranked to start the year combined with what they've done the past couple of years and my perception that Babers is a good coach.

--Locksley's new offense

Said that before the season... i view this as a make/break game with iowa right behind it. We need both and this will not be easy.

A part of me is pleased buffalo showed us how much we need to improve and where... a part of me worries the players are listening to the "we won by 32" crew. The "we can turn it on anytime" ideal that no longer exists in CFB.

We play Umd as we did buffalo and we're down 28-7 at the half. AT uMD AT night... we're toast. Better show up vs sPitt and set the table. Or the "revenge is a dish best served cold" line is gonna hurt.

Reactions: nits74 and flash86
--Locksley's new offense

Aside from PSU having to travel, there is no home field advantage for Maryland. A third to half of the stadium will be PSU fans.

Aside from PSU having to travel, there is no home field advantage for Maryland. A third to half of the stadium will be PSU fans.

A Friday night game too. Whether or not fans show up, playing out of your routine on the road can make a young team uncomfortable - especially in the first quarter. UMD was a layup in years past, but its not looking like it this year.

A Friday night game too. Whether or not fans show up, playing out of your routine on the road can make a young team uncomfortable - especially in the first quarter. UMD was a layup in years past, but its not looking like it this year.
It would be very beneficial for PSU to score 1st and hopefully a TD to put the pressure on UMD.

Reactions: Lyons212
They have a bye before the game. Hopefully lessons from last year's Illinois game also a road Friday night game will be applied to Maryland. Definitely will need a better start than they did against Illinois.

Well, late in the year they did take Ohio State to OT, and put up 51 on them. So, there's that.

Urban and Day seem to find ways that arent forced. Rahne gets paid a lot of money to figure this out. Meyer is right though. No pt recruiting a Slade if you arent getting him the ball in space. No pt recruiting a Shorter if youre not targeting him 7 or 10 times a game downfield.
Agreed. Once their potential as CFB players is reached. Shorter might be close to there but Slade isn't yet.

And his list of players who have to get the ball hasn't been a secret and it isn't close to unique. He just has better players and coaches, or more of them--sometimes with a little more dirt on them. And when he didn't have better players (Utah in particular), he beat talented teams with coaching and execution. We'll see how Rahne looks this season with a WR coach who's actually a WR coach. Seider was a big pickup. But it was CJF hiring a second RB coach with an open WR spot to fill.

I have always felt (and I was probably in the distinct minority) that once UMd joined the B10 they would have everything in place to be very competitive - and a good addition to the conference... assuming that there were ANY additions that made sense.
Everything, that is, except leadership wrt the Football program.

If they ever get that - and I don't know if they have it now or not, my guess is "Not Yet" - they will be a very solid program, IMO.

That said, the idea of UMd "supplanting" UMich and OSU as "rivals" for PSU is - at BEST - a generation away. And that only if UMd knocks it out of the park for 20 years.
A very valid observation. Which brings me back to the question I keep asking myself, why did we ever admit Rutgers? New York market, past successful winning tradition, loyal fan support, dedicated administrative support! They all seemed rather foolish then, and more so now? But I guess everybody needs a punching bag.

Anthony McFarland is an all-Big Ten caliber player. He was a high 4-star almost a 5-star running back. He turned down PSU, Alabama and Auburn to go to MD.

Locksley puts the ball in McFarland's hands in space and McFarland's speed and elusiveness does the rest.

Really it's almost exactly what Penn State should be doing with Ricky Slade who is the same kind of player and same kind of talent as McFarland.

If you watch Maryland, Locks is not trying to run McFarland between the tackles the way Rahne is using Slade. They get get the whole field in motion and then give him the ball in a situation where his speed can make a difference.

He is a one-missed-tackle-and-he's-gone type of player. PSU linebackers and safeties are going to have to be aware of him at all times and they can't miss tackles or MD gets some easy scores.

--Locksley's new offense

Last edited:
A very valid observation. Which brings me back to the question I keep asking myself, why did we ever admit Rutgers? New York market, past successful winning tradition, loyal fan support, dedicated administrative support! They all seemed rather foolish then, and more so now? But I guess everybody needs a punching bag.
Even though a private school, would have preferred Syracuse if the Conference were going for the New York market. Far better tradition in FB and BB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT