ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Fox

You may not like him personally, nor do I, but he is insightful and knows football. A few weeks ago he was on a pregame show explaining offensive line play, it was fascinating, no question he knows football. In spite of baggage, you probably would take him as your coach.
Would not take him.

we don't know. Nobody can say zero and have any confidence that it is true.
Don't get me wrong--his teams at Florida included some of the worst human being to ever play the sport but the man does win. Winning typically overrides anything unless you have to go due to sanctions

it does not override everything because there are multiple people who win and do not seem to be lowlifes. I'd much rather have someone like Day, who also wins. Would not want PSU to waste its time and money helping Urban do whatever he does.
Fair enough--I'd take Urban in a second because he would dominate recruiting in NY, PA, MD and VA plus add top kids from places like Florida and Texas. He'd take us to another level and then whomever follows just has to sustain it. Easier said than done but easier than getting there.

Fair enough--I'd take Urban in a second because he would dominate recruiting in NY, PA, MD and VA plus add top kids from places like Florida and Texas. He'd take us to another level and then whomever follows just has to sustain it. Easier said than done but easier than getting there.
You all know this as well as I do, but Urb has always liked Penn State as a destination and there was a lot of talk about him replacing Joe at one point. (until of course the stuff blew up in 2011).

But if Franklin left, wouldn't your administration immediately hire Rhule? I think he'd be fantastic.

Urb is one of the best ever, no doubt. He has some character flaws to say the least. But that dude turns programs around and builds contenders as well as anybody I've ever seen. I love Ryan Day as a person far, far more. But I'll admit that I miss the toughness and edge we had with Urb's teams.

You all know this as well as I do, but Urb has always liked Penn State as a destination and there was a lot of talk about him replacing Joe at one point. (until of course the stuff blew up in 2011).

But if Franklin left, wouldn't your administration immediately hire Rhule? I think he'd be fantastic.

Urb is one of the best ever, no doubt. He has some character flaws to say the least. But that dude turns programs around and builds contenders as well as anybody I've ever seen. I love Ryan Day as a person far, far more. But I'll admit that I miss the toughness and edge we had with Urb's teams.
Rhule's honestly my nightmare lol

I don't think they would automatically hire Rhule.

Also this legend about how Urban was a done deal to PSU until things went south is getting old. If it was such a done deal, where was he? I don't buy it, and, even James Franklin was able to win the Big Ten within 5 years of that situation.
To be clear, I never said it was a done deal. Only that when Meyer was getting the itch to come back -- during the 2011 season -- Penn State would have been an attractive option had Joe announced his retirement earlier and worked to find an eventual replacement. But once it was clear that OSU wasn't retaining Fickell, that was the #1 job on Urb's checklist.

Point being, PSU is a job that Urb really respects and could be tempted to take if available. Other than OSU (if Day bolts for the NFL), the jobs I could see him considering would be Notre Dame, Penn State, and Texas. That is of course if he comes back to coaching. Not saying those schools would actually want him after the Jacksonville fiasco.

To be clear, I never said it was a done deal. Only that when Meyer was getting the itch to come back -- during the 2011 season -- Penn State would have been an attractive option had Joe announced his retirement earlier and worked to find an eventual replacement. But once it was clear that OSU wasn't retaining Fickell, that was the #1 job on Urb's checklist.

Point being, PSU is a job that Urb really respects and could be tempted to take if available. Other than OSU (if Day bolts for the NFL), the jobs I could see him considering would be Notre Dame, Penn State, and Texas. That is of course if he comes back to coaching. Not saying those schools would actually want him after the Jacksonville fiasco.

The Texas job was available and I believe UT and Meyer couldn't come to some sort of initial agreement and they went with Sarkisian.

it does not override everything because there are multiple people who win and do not seem to be lowlifes. I'd much rather have someone like Day, who also wins. Would not want PSU to waste its time and money helping Urban do whatever he does.
Not sure Day would have success if it wasn't for Urban setting up the program? Doubt it.....

Urban is a winner, like him or not!
He's great at winning college football games, no doubt. But as a fan, is it so important to you that your team wins that you would want him representing your school? Thankfully, there are still a few fans (a minority perhaps) who still think that things such as character and moral standing help define us.

Reactions: fairfaxlion2
Urban wouldn't get hired at any respectable school after that video of him with that girl at the club. OSU basically told him to retire after they determined he was covering up for the wr coach, so OSU wouldn't hire him if Day left for the NFL.

And won it with a team that had no business winning an NC
Something like 16 of the 22 starters on the championship team were drafted by the NFL. Extremely talented team. Check out 01,02 and particularly 03 buckeyes who played as sophomores.

He's great at winning college football games, no doubt. But as a fan, is it so important to you that your team wins that you would want him representing your school? Thankfully, there are still a few fans (a minority perhaps) who still think that things such as character and moral standing help define us.
Joe Paterno hand picked him as successor. How is that for moral character?

Add Ohio to that list.
We’ve been conditioned to hate Urban. That doesn’t mean we should.

Reactions: MacNit07
Urban wouldn't get hired at any respectable school after that video of him with that girl at the club. OSU basically told him to retire after they determined he was covering up for the wr coach, so OSU wouldn't hire him if Day left for the NFL.
Literally no one cares about that video--no one if he can win games

Joe also hired an offensive staff consisting of Galen Hall, his own son, and Mike McQuery

and did nothing about it when we lost games only because they were bad at their jobs
True but the concern with Meyer isn't his coaching, right? It's him "morality" which supposedly Paterno is the expert on

i'm just responding to the idea that joe picking his successor has some deep meaning. Joe was barely even running the program at the end. Bradley, Vanderlinden and Johnson were holding the whole thing together with tape and bubble gum
Oh completely agreed but Urban, at the time, was the best or second best coach in college football. Hard to argue with wanting him as the next guy if you ignore the morality nonsense.

yes but i don't know if i believe it

we heard a lot of weird stuff about his successor in the last decade, including Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher visiting Tim Curley's home, Rick Neuheisel, and Steve Spurrier. I think almost all of it was made up or had only a tiny, tiny amount of truth

the only one i believe is that Spanier wanted to go to Schiano around the mid 2000s. that one actually seems plausible
Yeah, Schiano seems the most plausible to me as well with Cowher or Dungy seeming the least likely. Meyer does make sense though--so did Spurrier

Literally no one cares about that video--no one if he can win games
I could have respected your opinion if you had said most people or not many people. When you say "literally no one", it shows you're very out of touch with reality.

Why does that matter?
He's an analyst or a football coach not the pope. We have far worse people we elect to run the country on both sides.
It's very, very sad if you think moral standing shouldn't matter in choosing a college football coach. Culture could end up being the downfall of this country.

I could have respected your opinion if you had said most people or not many people. When you say "literally no one", it shows you're very out of touch with reality.
No one in a decision-making role if you prefer. I don't care if you or I care about it. Those that hire do so to win.

It's very, very sad if you think moral standing shouldn't matter in choosing a college football coach. Culture could end up being the downfall of this country.
It shouldn't matter and it doesn't. I would get into the culture discussion with you but that seems like a test board discussion.

dude what are you talking about, it doesn't matter at all?
No, why does it matter?
This isn't little league. The big business here. Let's call college football what it is. How much money is it generating for Penn State. You hire the best guy for the job. These kids coming to Penn State to play football aren't looking for an education but they're looking to play in the NFL. Don't fool yourself. Meyer can help them accomplish that goal.

Reactions: Bob2022
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT