ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Malcolm Gladwell's book "Talking to Strangers"

The legal bills of Curley and Schultz were paid by the university. I don't know about Spanier's whole bill, but I remember the one alumni elected trustee (former head of Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac) stepped in to help him at one point. Maybe for his appeals? I'm drawing a blank on the guy's name. Lord?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the University paid all of C/S's legal bills. I think there was a significant portion that fell back to them at some point, and that weighed into the decisions they ultimately made after a while. I am open to being wrong, but I am pretty sure I recall hearing that from someone who would know.

Reactions: indynittany
If Sandusky got a fair trial and Tim, Gary and Graham were all given their constitutional protections......why is Frank Fina facing disciplinary action , the same for Cynthia Baldwin and didn't we see a judge involved "retired?"
Please address this. Thank you!

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the University paid all of C/S's legal bills. I think there was a significant portion that fell back to them at some point, and that weighed into the decisions they ultimately made after a while. I am open to being wrong, but I am pretty sure I recall hearing that from someone who would know.
One thing we know for certain....the university" was not going to jail for Tim, Gary and Graham. Yet I've not heard of a trustee who thinks they did anything criminal.

I don’t like when we deny things that are fact. Tim Curley chose not to go to trial. He chose to plead guilty to failing to protect the welfare of a child. Tim Curley is legally guilty of failing to protect the welfare of a child, whether we agree with that or not. That was not through a decision of a jury of his peers but by his own doing.

To be a member of a cult, denying facts is a necessity. You must also believe your own fantasies and never use common sense.

Reactions: WHCANole
One thing we know for certain....the university" was not going to jail for Tim, Gary and Graham. Yet I've not heard of a trustee who thinks they did anything criminal.
Please clarify who “they” is. S, S and C or the trustees?

If we believe Tim Curley, then he have to believe that he believes he is guilty of failure to protect the welfare of a child. Cherry picking when we believe somebody is credible is dangerous.
A false and inflammatory GJP, being charged with statues that do not apply, even maneuvering dates to apply SOL and finally using ex post facto laws to sway the potential outcome of a trial.....is in reality a form of emotional torture. While confessions obtained by torture have long been outlawed in this country, it is clear that Fina and co. tightened the screws.....knowing full well that what they were doing was improper. So yes, Tim and Gary finally, after years of emotional torture, confessed to a misdemeanor. Endangering a child that no one has been able to identify. LOL

If we believe Tim Curley, then he have to believe that he believes he is guilty of failure to protect the welfare of a child. Cherry picking when we believe somebody is credible is dangerous.

You’re usually not this obtuse CPL. Take a mulligan on this argument and back out of it.

The plea is nothing more than a risk assessment based on a variety of factors and personal risk tolerance and has little to do with whether the plaintiff believes he is guilty or not. Equating a guilty plea to testimony given under oath is disingenuous. I believe you know that but have backed yourself into a corner.

Different people with the exact same feeling about their guilt or innocence can come to polar opposite decisions on a plea deal, depending on risk tolerance, jury assessment, health situation, advice of counsel, etc, as we saw in this case. Reconsider your position and back out of this argument. It strains your credibility which I have always found to be pretty high, even when I didn’t always totally agree with your position.

Not really. Standard jury instructions include telling the jurors that they can believe some, none, or all of what a witness says. And people plead guilty for a number of reasons, not all of which involve a belief that they are actually guilty even if that's what they say to the court when questioned about their plea.

It does mean something. It means that Graham Spanier is not legally guilty of failing to protect the welfare of a child. By pleading to the charge, it means Tim Curley is legally guilty of failing to protect the welfare of a child.
So then, in this universe OJ is innocent and Tim is a criminal. End of story, got it.

Reactions: marshall23
I don’t like when we deny things that are fact. Tim Curley chose not to go to trial. He chose to plead guilty to failing to protect the welfare of a child. Tim Curley is legally guilty of failing to protect the welfare of a child, whether we agree with that or not. That was not through a decision of a jury of his peers but by his own doing.

You’re smarter than this. Pleading guilty to a lesser crime because he was afraid he’d get royally screwed by going to trial doesn’t make him guilty. They played games with the statute of limitations so why would anyone think they’d get a fair trial? The foreman in Spanier’s trial said Spanier probably should have been found not guilty but everyone on the jury wanted to go home for the weekend. He said that the very next week I believe. It’s laughable that he could say that and the judge didn’t declare a mistrial or whatever (if he could do anything) before sentencing.

You’re usually not this obtuse CPL. Take a mulligan on this argument and back out of it.

The plea is nothing more than a risk assessment based on a variety of factors and personal risk tolerance and has little to do with whether the plaintiff believes he is guilty or not. I believe you know that but have backed yourself into a corner.

Different people with the exact same feeling about their guilt or innocence can come to polar opposite decisions on a plea deal, depending on risk tolerance, jury assessment, health situation, advice of counsel, etc, as we saw in this case. Reconsider your position and back out of this argument. It strains your credibility which I have always found to be pretty high, even when I didn’t always totally agree with your position.

There is a faction here that likes to cherry pick bits and pieces of information to fit their belief. (For instance, Jerry Sandusky has hypogonadism and is able to have sex with his wife 2-4 times per week but not with boys). I do not believe it benefits anybody to deny facts even when they go against their beliefs.
You want to believe Tim Curley is credible? Have at it. I do not have any reason to deny that nor do I have any reason to dispute the firsthand accounts of people on here that have known him personally. But let’s also acknowledge that he is legally guilty of failing to protect the welfare of a child. Was it because he was backed into a corner? Possibly. Was it because he was ill and wanted to be done with the whole mess? Possibly. Was it because he felt he was guilty of bigger charges and found this to be a safer landing spot than risking it at a trial? Possibly.

You’re smarter than this. Pleading guilty to a lesser crime because he was afraid he’d get royally screwed by going to trial doesn’t make him guilty. They played games with the statute of limitations so why would anyone think they’d get a fair trial? The foreman in Spanier’s trial said Spanier probably should have been found not guilty but everyone on the jury wanted to go home for the weekend. He said that the very next week I believe. It’s laughable that he could say that and the judge didn’t declare a mistrial or whatever (if he could do anything) before sentencing.

I think the distinction is that the plea does make him “legally guilty”, but it certainly doesn’t mean anyone should necessarily believe Curley believed he was guilty based on the plea.

Reactions: PSU2UNC and Bob78
There is a faction here that likes to cherry pick bits and pieces of information to fit their belief. (For instance, Jerry Sandusky has hypogonadism and is able to have sex with his wife 2-4 times per week but not with boys). I do not believe it benefits anybody to deny facts even when they go against their beliefs.
You want to believe Tim Curley is credible? Have at it. I do not have any reason to deny that nor do I have any reason to dispute the firsthand accounts of people on here that have known him personally. But let’s also acknowledge that he is legally guilty of failing to protect the welfare of a child. Was it because he was backed into a corner? Possibly. Was it because he was ill and wanted to be done with the whole mess? Possibly. Was it because he felt he was guilty of bigger charges and found this to be a safer landing spot than risking it at a trial? Possibly.

Yes it is absolutely a fact that Curley is legally guilty. As he would have been if he had pled not guilty and then been found guilty in court by a jury. I don’t see anyone debating that.

That really isn’t the argument here. There is nothing inconsistent with believing Curley is credible, even if they believe he pled guilty to a crime he did not feel he committed.

Was it because he was backed into a corner? Possibly. Was it because he was ill and wanted to be done with the whole mess? Possibly. Was it because he felt he was guilty of bigger charges and found this to be a safer landing spot than risking it at a trial? Possibly.

Possibly? I'd say most definitely in each case.

I actually heard a rumor that a former trustee was so concerned about what he had heard about Sandusky, that he asked Tim what he (Tim) was going to do about it (Jerry was retired mind you). Keep in mind, these are the trustees that were "blindsided" by the charges (even though Ganim had an article in 3/11) Yes, the same trustees that championed Sandusky's emeritus retirement package giving him and his TSM charges access to Lasch over the objections of JVP.

Reactions: kevin310 and Bob78
In my view you've demonstrated an ability to be pragmatic about many topics over the years. If you are at all familiar with the mechanics of the legal system, then you already understand why this assertion is fundamentally flawed.

I sort of agree. Yet cherry picking when claimants were telling the truth put Sandusky in jail for life.

Who do you consider credible in this case?

Speaking of credibility, the one thing that amazes me in this case is that people find the testimony of multiple "victims" MORE credible when they have a potential monetary incentive than they do when there is no incentive.

Multiple "victims" testified to no inappropriate contact with Jerry before it was apparent Penn State was going to pay settlements. When it became apparent Penn State was going to pay big money settlements, the testimony changed. And people don't have a problem with that. Ok.

(For instance, Jerry Sandusky has hypogonadism and is able to have sex with his wife 2-4 times per week but not with boys). I do not believe it benefits anybody to deny facts even when they go against their beliefs.

This is a really bad example.

I'm shocked anyone would put any stock into what any guy says about the number to times per week he has sex. Ask any guy how many times he's having sex per week, and you will almost certainly get a lie. It's entirely possible that he has hypogonadism and simply said he has sex 2-4 times a week.

I'm shocked anyone would put any stock into what any guy says about the number to times per week he has sex. Ask any guy how many times he's having sex per week, and you will almost certainly get a lie. It's entirely possible that he has hypogonadism and simply said he has sex 2-4 times a week.

It’s not so much about what the guy says. It’s about others taking what the says and making it fit into your belief.

Do you have a statement you can link where he said this? Because his plea does not equal "his word". He was backed into a corner.

For example, I was caught in a traffic ticket scam one time. They pull you over and then do you a "favor" by making the offense "failure to follow traffic control device", but they fill out the ticket with the details on you speeding. So the ticket is incorrectly filled out, it's missing information, they did not follow the vehicle code for the minimum time and distance they had to follow me to ascertain I was speeding. I knew I wasn't speeding, I did all the research, had a state trooper write a letter to the judge about how the ticket was BS. The local cop didn't even show up, which I always thought meant my ticket got tossed... not true. The judge commended me on my work, but then told me it was all moot since the citation was not for speeding, it was for failure to follow traffic control device. Which is basically a fantasy citation that can't be disputed, especially since the local cop wasn't present. He told me that he could have the charge re-filed to speeding, which had double the fine, and came with points if I was convicted. This also required another trial date, and another day of vacation. But I knew at that point the fix was in, cut my losses and plead guilty to failure to follow traffic control device. I wasn't speeding, I didn't fail to follow a traffic control device. Pleading guilty was my admission that they had me stuck between a rock and a hard place, and I had no better option. Same for Curley, sometimes you have to just realize that the fix is in.
Excellent analogy. I had to plead in traffic court (kangeroo) because the judge said the court was too crowded with cases, so either except the standard plea deal .....a cash pay fine......or go to trial. Of course he would be the judge and jury. Anyone would be a fool to ?

Here's another thought. Does anyone here really know the schedule of a D1 coordinator? Suppose Dottie was truthful and they did have regular sex.....what ever they may have meant for them. If you believe the claimants, Jerry was juggling 70 hour weeks, sex 2 or 3 times with his wife and 5 to 8 times a week with boys.....really? Testimony of the frequency and time periods of some claimants overlapped incredibly.

To be a member of a cult, denying facts is a necessity. You must also believe your own fantasies and never use common sense.
Nobody is denying the facts. They are contesting them. They are protesting an obvious injustice.

You know C/S/S are innocent. You know the system is corrupt. And you know you are being a troll

That's not what the survey said at all. It did not mention the employer.

In the context of a prospective juror survey, the implication is "punishment by the court" not anything outside of that context.

Nice try though.

Just another example of cherry picking and confirmation bias. This was not a prospective juror survey.

It was a survey conducted by the defense. We don't have any details on the survey, how participants were selected, what questions they were asked, whether any respondents were filtered, etc...

No details were ever released indicating how scientific or random it was. The court tossed it from consideration. No one outside message boards contends that it accurately measured the population of potential jurors, at that time, or ever.

Can we please stop with mis remembrances and get to facts?

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCANole
Please provide a citation for that.
It is in the court transcripts where his written statement and GJ testimony are quoted. While he stated he didn't see insertion, he was certain the boy was being sodomized. So if he is telling the police and GJ that, then why is the GJP such an issue. He was reacting to the heat was taking at the time this became public. He also said he had discussions with the police and the person in charge of the police (Schultz). Ok, we know he spoke to Schultz. But why would he say he also talked to the police??

It is in the court transcripts where his written statement and GJ testimony are quoted. While he stated he didn't see insertion, he was certain the boy was being sodomized. So if he is telling the police and GJ that, then why is the GJP such an issue. He was reacting to the heat was taking at the time this became public. He also said he had discussions with the police and the person in charge of the police (Schultz). Ok, we know he spoke to Schultz. But why would he say he also talked to the police??

I’m am certainly just speculating here, but lately I have been thinking what if he really DID speak to a actual police officer? We know Schultz had a conversation with police chief Tom Harmon shortly after Joe or Tim contacted him. Tom sent Gary an email about the record of 1998 investigation, so some talk between them had to spur it. But perhaps Harmon gave Mike’s number to one of his officers, and that officer followed up with Mike at same point afterward? Harmon has been shown to have a very poor memory (he was unable to remember the very infamous Black Caucus protest at the 2001 Blue White Game when asked about it a few years later). And perhaps the officer who may have called Mike was not told that it was Sandusky who was the suspect so he simply forgot about it thinking it was not a big event.

Of course, if that did happen, there’s a good chance Mike gave the same answer to the police officer that he gave toJoe Paterno (that he was okay). And now we now he would have been reluctant to say so in 2011 since it would basically impeach his testimony and Jonelle Eshbach had him by the balls. So he figured he better keep quiet or risk being in trouble for gambling on college football and sending pictures of his penis to a woman not his wife.

FYI. I once called the police to report an attempted sexual assault I was told about (minor on minor). They directed me to call child services who handle it from there. However, a few weeks later the police department I originally contacted called me back and asked me if I was okay with how child services handled the issue. So I know these types of situations do occur.

Last edited:
Speaking of credibility, the one thing that amazes me in this case is that people find the testimony of multiple "victims" MORE credible when they have a potential monetary incentive than they do when there is no incentive.

Multiple "victims" testified to no inappropriate contact with Jerry before it was apparent Penn State was going to pay settlements. When it became apparent Penn State was going to pay big money settlements, the testimony changed. And people don't have a problem with that. Ok.

True, and doing only cursory research into these attorneys that got the accusers to flip, it’s clear they are scum. Andrew Shubin, who represented 2,3,7, and 10 committed a clear act of obstruction of justice right before the trial and only avoided arrest because the OAG knew it would hurt their case against Sandusky. The others (Ben Andreozzi, Michael Boni, Slade McLaughlin) are rather questionable as well.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
I'm not doubting you, but can you expand on that? I don't recall the details of that particular victim's testimony. Thanks!

Ziegler describes it in detail on one of his podcasts (it would be right after the Spanier trial) but from what i remember, they had this guy sworn in the back room and they only referred to him as “John Doe” in attempt to hide his identity from Ziegler, but he was not fooled. He was described as clearly fake crying while testifying.

This was the guy who first claimed Sandusky grabbed his penis (but then he heroically escaped) in the locker room in 1998 when he was 10. He testified Sandusky had an erection but was too young to understand the significance. However at trial he then claimed it actually happened in 2002 when he was 14, when he would certainly know what an erection was. It is well known that PSU was paying more money to accusers who claim they were assaulted after the McQueary incident, so that certainly explains the year change. The jury acquitted Sandusky of the sexual assault charge against him, but still found Sandusky guilty of grooming him.

This didn’t come out until after the trial, but Kajak further contradicted his trial testimony in his claim against PSU, saying he was subjected to repeated rapes.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23

McQueary never said he saw a boy being sodomized. Here's what he did say during direct examination conducted by McGettigan:

Q. So I can distinguish what you believed and what you said to either your father or Coach Paterno, is what you thought you saw anal sex occurring?
A. I thought I saw that, yes, no doubt about that.

That's on page 205 of the June 12, 2012 trial transcript, and it's not a reference to either grand jury testimony or a statement to police. It's a direct question from McGettigan. It's also known as a leading question. Leading questions are generally not allowed on direct examination because the question itself suggests what the answer should be. It's not clear why Rominger didn't object, as the court twice cautioned McGettigan against leading questions and even said he didn't know why the defense wasn't objecting. Your takeaway here is that the words "anal sex" were fed to McQueary; he didn't say them aloud of his own volition, he only agreed with them when pressed by a prosecutor.

And quite frankly, if McQueary actually believed that he's a complete idiot. He testified that the boy was standing with his hands against the shower wall, Sandusky standing behind him, Sandusky's front pressed to the boy's back, and Sandusky's arms around the boy's waist. Sounds just like that bear hug that Sandusky admitted to in 1998, doesn't it? Anyway, McQueary also testified the boy was about 10 or 11 and was about chest height on Sandusky.

Here's an illustrative picture of a grown man and a child of roughly the same age as V2 who are roughly the same relative height as Sandusky and V2 as described by McQueary:
9a3c8f2212c1d0c157c05b5fab73d757--father-son-photos-father-daughter.jpg

I don't want to be graphic here, but there's zero anatomical chance that McQueary saw a standing Sandusky sodomizing a standing V2. The embrace that McQueary described, in the absence of Sandusky unmistakably bending at the knees or possessing gentalia of equine proportions and prehensile abilities (neither of which McQueary testified to), would have put Sandusky's junk in the kid's lower back. The relevant anatomy does not align. Period. And I suspect that's a, if not the, reason the jury acquitted on the V2 involuntary deviate sexual intercourse count.

As for McQueary's "discussions with the police," he admitted on cross examination that when he wrote in an email that he had discussions "with the police and with the official at the university in charge of the police," he was referring only to Schultz and had not spoken to anyone else in law enforcement until they approached him in 2010. That's on pages 260-261 of the same transcript. In other words, at least one of his recountings many years after the fact of what he did at the time was partially untrue.

Hmmmm . . . .

Last edited:
McQueary never said he saw a boy being sodomized. Here's what he did say during direct examination conducted by McGettigan:

Q. So I can distinguish what you believed and what you said to either your father or Coach Paterno, is what you thought you saw anal sex occurring?
A. I thought I saw that, yes, no doubt about that.

That's on page 205 of the June 12, 2012 trial transcript, and it's not a reference to either grand jury testimony or a statement to police. It's a direct question from McGettigan. It's also known as a leading question. Leading questions are generally not allowed on direct examination because the question itself suggests what the answer should be. It's not clear why Rominger didn't object, as the court twice cautioned McGettigan against leading questions and even said he didn't know why the defense wasn't objecting. Your takeaway here is that the words "anal sex" were fed to McQueary; he didn't say them aloud of his own volition, he only agreed with them when pressed by a prosecutor.

And quite frankly, if McQueary actually believed that he's a complete idiot. He testified that the boy was standing with his hands against the shower wall, Sandusky standing behind him, Sandusky's front pressed to the boy's back, and Sandusky's arms around the boy's waist. Sounds just like that bear hug that Sandusky admitted to in 1998, doesn't it? Anyway, McQueary also testified the boy was about 10 or 11 and was about chest height on Sandusky.

Here's an illustrative picture of a grown man and a child of roughly the same age as V2 who are roughly the same relative height as Sandusky and V2 as described by McQueary:
9a3c8f2212c1d0c157c05b5fab73d757--father-son-photos-father-daughter.jpg

I don't want to be graphic here, but there's zero anatomical chance that McQueary saw a standing Sandusky sodomizing a standing V2. The embrace that McQueary described, in the absence of Sandusky unmistakably bending at the knees or possessing gentalia of equine proportions and prehensile abilities (neither of which McQueary testified to), would have put Sandusky's junk in the kid's lower back. The relevant anatomy does not align. Period. And I suspect that's a, if not the, reason the jury acquitted on the V2 involuntary deviate sexual intercourse count.

As for McQueary's "discussions with the police," he admitted on cross examination that when he wrote in an email that he had discussions "with the police and with the official at the university in charge of the police," he was referring only to Schultz and had not spoken to anyone else in law enforcement until they approached him in 2010. That's on pages 260-261 of the same transcript. In other words, at least one of his recountings many years after the fact of what he did at the time was partially untrue.

Hmmmm . . . .
He did say in his police statement that he was certain that the boy was sodomized. As for you other points about the height of JS and the boy, I agree. The fact that the OAG had to put a mannequin on a stool in photos to demonstrate what Mike described should have been enough to show everyone that this is BS.

He did say in his police statement that he was certain that the boy was sodomized. As for you other points about the height of JS and the boy, I agree. The fact that the OAG had to put a mannequin on a stool in photos to demonstrate what Mike described should have been enough to show everyone that this is BS.

Agree which is one of the many reasons I have always felt MM is FOS. He says in the police report that he is certain the boy was being sodomized, yet his testimony of what he heard/saw could not lead any reasonable person to be certain he witnessed sodomy.

I read his testimony and while it’s clear the event was inappropriate, I came away “almost” certain the boy wasn’t being sodomized at that time. 2-3 “rhythmic slapping sounds” from behind closed doors with water running, no insertion or erection witnessed because i don’t look down there, a grand total of 2-3 seconds of glances, no look or sounds of distress from the boy, I’m not “1000%” sure or something to that effect. Good grief what a stooge.

Ziegler describes it in detail on one of his podcasts (it would be right after the Spanier trial) but from what i remember, they had this guy sworn in the back room and they only referred to him as “John Doe” in attempt to hide his identity from Ziegler, but he was not fooled. He was described as clearly fake crying while testifying.

This was the guy who first claimed Sandusky grabbed his penis (but then he heroically escaped) in the locker room in 1998 when he was 10. He testified Sandusky had an erection but was too young to understand the significance. However at trial he then claimed it actually happened in 2002 when he was 14, when he would certainly know what an erection was. It is well known that PSU was paying more money to accusers who claim they were assaulted after the McQueary incident, so that certainly explains the year change. The jury acquitted Sandusky of the sexual assault charge against him, but still found Sandusky guilty of grooming him.

This didn’t come out until after the trial, but Kajak further contradicted his trial testimony in his claim against PSU, saying he was subjected to repeated rapes.
I agree that you run into problems when you cherry pick when someone is telling the truth..........

People who call people cherry pickers cherry picking themselves. Funny dat. What? You think people don’t notice?

Agree which is one of the many reasons I have always felt MM is FOS. He says in the police report that he is certain the boy was being sodomized, yet his testimony of what he heard/saw could not lead any reasonable person to be certain he witnessed sodomy.

I read his testimony and while it’s clear the event was inappropriate, I came away “almost” certain the boy wasn’t being sodomized at that time. 2-3 “rhythmic slapping sounds” from behind closed doors with water running, no insertion or erection witnessed because i don’t look down there, a grand total of 2-3 seconds of glances, no look or sounds of distress from the boy, I’m not “1000%” sure or something to that effect. Good grief what a stooge.
We are taking the wrong approach in debating Sandusky's guilt or innocence! Sandusky is IRRELEVANT here. Why...because you can not establish "innocence" 10 years after the fact with a "private" crime like what the OAG accuses. This is NOT by accident!! It is an engineered method of deception and legal abuse!

In a fair courtroom - REPEAT in a fair courtroom where LEGAL EVIDENCE is what establishes guilt or innocence - - Penn State AT ANY LEVEL - can not be linked to "the shower incident". The fact that the GJP had so many KNOWN TO THE STATE fabrications in it are the real issue.

The Sandusky and PSU "convictions" were established on "what might have been", pure speculations and pure fabrications!! This is a matter of fact based on what is known 7+ years from the trial of Sandusky and C/S/S. The fact that the court actions, the legal interpretations and court processes were so DEFINITIVELY distorted is the REAL ISSUE here!!

Why bring PSU, Paterno and C/S/S into all of this......Simple - PSU needed to be linked to (a Weak legal case against) Sandusky so that the Millions needed to buy testimony could be made available and that the OAG's real purpose - hide TSM's illegal and politically connected actions - could be advanced. THIS IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN A PA POLITICAL CRIME - no doubt based on real evidence!

So keep trying to prove Sandusky INNOCENT - impossible based on a "Story" which relies on MM's proven lie of a testimony and pure speculation!!! These are not LEGAL issues which can be used to link anyone at PSU with a "criminal collusion" and illegal action of any kind.

Keep discussing Sandusky's "Innocense" and let the REAL CRIMINALS in PA government and their
accomplices get off scott free. Just proves again that its great to be a politician.

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT