ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh, here we go again, American men's tennis. Stinks. Again.

Notsofastmyfriend21

Mar 16, 2018
Just so frustrating. Every year, it's getting to be like the old Brooklyn Dodgers now. "We'll get em next year...", "We are young and talented!"..

Same old bums. Once again, all the American men will be gone in Paris before the third round even starts. So many reasons, so many theories, but clearly whatever system is being used, is broken.

Even Querry gets dismantled today by an unseeded player. We will inevitably hear about how we just don't play well on red clay, but we don't play on any surface, not just red clay. And it's our men, not our women. Our women are at the top of the level, world wide, and very competitive, so it's not "the sport". If it was "the sport", then it would stand to reason the women would be awful also?

The best part of these broadcasts are the five minutes in which, every year, McEnroe launches into a diatribe about what is wrong with men's tennis in America. That's all that's worth watching.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Just so frustrating. Every year, it's getting to be like the old Brooklyn Dodgers now. "We'll get em next year...", "We are young and talented!"..

Same old bums. Once again, all the American men will be gone in Paris before the third round even starts. So many reasons, so many theories, but clearly whatever system is being used, is broken.

Even Querry gets dismantled today by an unseeded player. We will inevitably hear about how we just don't play well on red clay, but we don't play on any surface, not just red clay. And it's our men, not our women. Our women are at the top of the level, world wide, and very competitive, so it's not "the sport". If it was "the sport", then it would stand to reason the women would be awful also?

The best part of these broadcasts are the five minutes in which, every year, McEnroe launches into a diatribe about what is wrong with men's tennis in America. That's all that's worth watching.

At the end of it, who cares? Nadal wins French every year, right? Do you get a share of American winnings?

I agree with you about American men's tennis being disappointment. It's easier just to root for players than a nation though--especially with an individual sport. I mean, who's the last American male that was likeable. Sampras/Agassi. I didn't like Roddick. Querrey? Maybe. The young kids definitely didn't live up to the hype. I'll just enjoy watching guys like Zverev attempt to reach their potential. The American women are a different story. Even Riske would up a bit of a fight against Halep

is it my age or has american tennis, in general, really suffered? I recall playing all the time but never seem to hear anyone under the age of 30 talking about wanting to play tennis. Back in the day, with players like Agassi, McEnroe and Sampras there was always a player that drove interest in the sport.

is it my age or has american tennis, in general, really suffered? I recall playing all the time but never seem to hear anyone under the age of 30 talking about wanting to play tennis. Back in the day, with players like Agassi, McEnroe and Sampras there was always a player that drove interest in the sport.
That's a factor without question. We need better athletes playing tennis. In some ways, the problems with mens tennis in this country, mirror the problems with mens soccer in this country. We have to get better athletes, actually playing the sport. Then, they need to be trained appropriately, and I'm not sure our tennis academies are on the same level as those in Spain or in other European nations. In soccer, we need to have our best players playing in the Premier League, or La Liga, or Bundesliga, etc, instead of in the MLS.

Agree about women’s tennis in general and American women’s tennis in particular - it’s more competitive overall and there is a good crop of American women able to compete with the world’s best. Better athletes aside, what happened to American tennis academies? Used to produce a lot of talent - now, it’s the colleges that do (namely Georgia). We really have no excuse not to be more competitive - we have tons of resources and plenty of kids interested in the sport. Probably some philosophical or funding issue with the USTA - bet that’s it.

Edit: link to NYT article from 2021 about lack of player development.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/sports/tennis/some-see-decline-in-us-tennis.html

Reactions: Notsofastmyfriend21
That's a factor without question. We need better athletes playing tennis. In some ways, the problems with mens tennis in this country, mirror the problems with mens soccer in this country. We have to get better athletes, actually playing the sport. Then, they need to be trained appropriately, and I'm not sure our tennis academies are on the same level as those in Spain or in other European nations. In soccer, we need to have our best players playing in the Premier League, or La Liga, or Bundesliga, etc, instead of in the MLS.

Our private academies used to be the best - players from all over the world would come to the US to train. Now, Europe and others have caught up and passed us. The article I linked is pretty good and notes the philosophical training differences between the US and others. One criticism of the USTA is they haven’t adapted to training players for a more physical game. They also haven’t embraced the use of private coaches. They also seem oblivious to the techniques used by more successful programs, like the one in France.

Reactions: Notsofastmyfriend21
Our private academies used to be the best - players from all over the world would come to the US to train. Now, Europe and others have caught up and passed us. The article I linked is pretty good and notes the philosophical training differences between the US and others. One criticism of the USTA is they haven’t adapted to training players for a more physical game. They also haven’t embraced the use of private coaches. They also seem oblivious to the techniques used by more successful programs, like the one in France.

Can’t remember who it was about (Wawrinka maybe) but I read an article a few years ago about the state of men’s tennis and the glut in the top 4; who wants to put in all that work, become world class at your profession, like the top 20 in the world, and struggle and hustle just to make a decent living? The 20th best fill-in-the-blank in the WORLD probably wants for little or nothing in any other sport/profession.

I blame Tiger Woods. Or rather I blame the Tiger Woods effect. Of course it's not Woods per se but rather it's the attention he's brought to golf. Love him or hate him, there's no doubt Woods has raised the profile of golf to the nth degree in the US over the past couple decades. There was a huge golf boom which lead to parents steering their kids toward the sport. In the late 70s and early 80s there were charismatic American players like Connors and McEnroe who captured the attention of young male athletes. Agassi and Sampras then took the baton and ran with it. Then came the golf craze and a decrease in the number of boys being steered toward playing tennis.

On the women's side there wasn't the same push to have young athletes play golf. There were always competitive female American tennis players for aspiring young girls to admire and emulate, the current superstar being Serena Williams.

Can’t remember who it was about (Wawrinka maybe) but I read an article a few years ago about the state of men’s tennis and the glut in the top 4; who wants to put in all that work, become world class at your profession, like the top 20 in the world, and struggle and hustle just to make a decent living? The 20th best fill-in-the-blank in the WORLD probably wants for little or nothing in any other sport/profession.
Hmmm. An interesting theory. But, right now, THIS, is just unacceptable. Nobody is even within shouting distance of a quarterfinal any longer.

I read: Here we go again, men’s tennis...” and immediately thought - not another sex abuse scandal. Glad to see it’s just about the US team sucking. Very refreshing, actually.

I blame the upswing in popularity of lacrosse. Similar demographics of those who have the means to do well in the respective sports, but kids and parents would apparently much rather have lax in their lives than tennis - which lets be honest comes across as a very effeminate sport these days.

I blame the upswing in popularity of lacrosse. Similar demographics of those who have the means to do well in the respective sports, but kids and parents would apparently much rather have lax in their lives than tennis - which lets be honest comes across as a very effeminate sport these days.

Can say what you want about tennis, but it’s not even close when it comes to professional prospects and potential earnings. The best lax player in the world makes what?

Probably a sh*tload in investment banking.

Ha ha! I guess. Lax is probably better if you’re looking for a college scholarship, but that’s where it ends IMO. That said, soccer at its highest level is where the money is.

Reactions: AldenT
When I was a kid, my parents played quite a bit, and they always had to wait for a court when we got to the local park. Now the same courts are practically vacant. Interest is way down.

The 20th best player in the world doesn't even come CLOSE to "struggling and hustling just to make a decent living."

Part of the problem is that a player like Jack Sock or Sam Querrey (to name the primary 2 American under-achievers in tennis) is that they become millionaires just by posting pedestrian records. Sock is (somehow) ranked #14 in the world right now and is also 5-11 thus far in Calendar Year 2018 in Singles play. That record has earned him over $300,000! Not to mention (1) his sponsorship money and (2) the $ he makes in doubles play (he's a very good doubles player) Even after taking out their travel and coaching expenses, they are making some healthy money.

Sock and Querrey - every time I watch either of them they seem somewhat uninterested. They're making their $ and they seem fine w/ never seriously challenging for a Grand Slam title.

The 15+ year American drought for a Men's tennis Grand Slam title will continue for awhile.

I agree with you about American men's tennis being disappointment. It's easier just to root for players than a nation though--especially with an individual sport. I mean, who's the last American male that was likeable. Sampras/Agassi. I didn't like Roddick. Querrey? Maybe. The young kids definitely didn't live up to the hype. I'll just enjoy watching guys like Zverev attempt to reach their potential. The American women are a different story. Even Riske would up a bit of a fight against Halep
I was a big James Blake fan, but he could never get over the hump...always found him very likable though.

They just, don't look like athletes, do they? Isner just looks like a very tall, sort of skeleton who can't move, same with Querry. Mardy Fish was overweight, the others look like accountants in tennis wear. You look at Nadal and he looks like an athlete, same for guys like Stan Wawrinka, etc.

Can say what you want about tennis, but it’s not even close when it comes to professional prospects and potential earnings. The best lax player in the world makes what?
A big issue with soccer development in the USA is the focus on getting a college scholarship, that is viewed as the big prize by parents. Unfortunately, the USA college scholarship worthy ability level is far below what is required to be an elite soccer player at the International level.

Possibly the same issue exists in tennis? This mindset never worked in soccer (unless your goal was a scholarship), maybe it did in tennis and no longer does do to the improvement of the development of tennis at the youth level in Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT