ADVERTISEMENT

UConn is the new Duke

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
And I hate them. One sport school. How's that football program doing? Can't stand them and their mouthy coach. Hey it's just me I suppose but I just don't care for one sport schools that focus only on one sport

And I hate them. One sport school. How's that football program doing? Can't stand them and their mouthy coach. Hey it's just me I suppose but I just don't care for one sport schools that focus only on one sport
So, soccer doesn't count as a sport? They do have 21 varsity sport programs.

I’m glad UConn is having success. Grew up when the Big East was the center of college bball and was a blast to watch.

I hate that Football TV $ basically took over every NCAA sport. Much preferred when a non-Football school could be great at another sport. Becoming harder every year.

I’m glad UConn is having success. Grew up when the Big East was the center of college bball and was a blast to watch.

I hate that Football TV $ basically took over every NCAA sport. Much preferred when a non-Football school could be great at another sport. Becoming harder every year.
The Big East rejected Paterno.

Hurley has those crazy eyes when he gets angry. He looks certifiable at times during games. ;).

Hurley has those crazy eyes when he gets angry. He looks certifiable at times during games. ;).
He is the new coach k. Truly great. I just don't care for how the school only does one thing though. Alabama made it to the final four, how would the Huskies do against the Tide in football? Does UConn have a wrestling team?

I need to know who we as PSU fans should root for in the championship game.. It would be neat for conference pride to see Purdue do it to win championships in the most important sports. Then again the Conference screwed us many times over the years, so perhaps it would be amusing to see the Conference blow it again in a national championship game. I do like the idea of a smaller school sticking it to the mega conferences, but the whole big east thing gets old, and those uconn fans can be annoying themselves. It may be a no win situation for us!

Last edited:
I need to know who we as PSU fans should root for in the championship game.. It would be neat for conference pride to see Purdue do it to win championships in the most important sports. Then again the Conference screwed us many times over the years, so perhaps it would be amusing to see the Conference blow it again in a national championship game. I do like the idea of a smaller school sticking it to the mega conferences, but the whole big east thing gets old, and those uconn fans can be annoying themselves. It may be a no win situation for us!
I'm rooting for Purdue

Won't tell anyone who to root for but no hesitation here: UConn all the way for me.

Reason for that dates back to 1980 when I moved to Maryland and started to follow Big East basketball, which was just getting off the ground then. The conference dominated the sport that decade with a bunch of city Catholic schools plus great teams like Syracuse. I loved the style of ball they played. The league's domination ended a long time ago, but I'm still a Big East fan when it comes to college basketball.

That was a pretty decent game last night. Credit to Alabama which hung with the Huskies until about the 12:00 minute mark of the 2nd half when UConn finally separated itself down the stretch. I'm really looking forward to Monday night's game, especially the matchup between Clingan and Edey in the middle.

The early line has UConn favored by 6.5, which seems on the high side to me. Purdue is an excellent team on a roll of its own and with something to prove after laying a tournament egg last year. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if the Boilers actually won the game...though at this point, you can't pick against UConn looking to close out arguably the greatest college basketball run of the last 40 years.

Does Alabama have a wrestling team?

What strange things to complain about.
I lived in N. Jersey when Danny played for Seton Hall. The pressure on him to be like Bobby on the court was palpable. Unfortunately he wasn't 1/10th the player. Had PSU somehow hired him from URI we would love him.

Rafferty is getting too old for his role- a less commercialized Dickie V- but his knowledge of the game is top notch. Raff coached Seton Hall in the early stages of the Big East. I'm sure he counts Danny's dad as a longtime friend in the Jersey coaching community.

Sometimes it is hard not to gush over successful children of dear friends that you have known since birth. I teach with the son of a lifetime friend. A boy that we drove 4 hours to meet and hold when he was 2 weeks old. To have him be a colleague, and one who is on the path to excellence, is a beautiful thing to behold. Yeah- Rafferty is "supposed to" be impartial. He simply can't help himself and is likely too old to care.

I lived in CT for 4 years. My kids were born there. UConn mens and women's basketball is all the whole STATE has. Like Painter- but don't think the Purdue guards can stand up to the pressure.

I'll root for a good game- but have UConn in a pool and may sneak some 3rd place $. Go Huskies!

Reactions: Jerry and royboy
I'm a big fan of the Hurley family, especially Mr. Bob Hurley Sr and his dedication to St Anthony's and the example he set. Not a UConn fan at all, but easy to always root against the Big 10 which I despise. So I will root for UConn.

He is the new coach k. Truly great. I just don't care for how the school only does one thing though. Alabama made it to the final four, how would the Huskies do against the Tide in football? Does UConn have a wrestling team?

This is the equivalent of "my dad could beat up your dad!" "Do you even wrestle, brah?" may be a new low when discussing college hoops.

Won't tell anyone who to root for but no hesitation here: UConn all the way for me.

Reason for that dates back to 1980 when I moved to Maryland and started to follow Big East basketball, which was just getting off the ground then. The conference dominated the sport that decade with a bunch of city Catholic schools plus great teams like Syracuse. I loved the style of ball they played. The league's domination ended a long time ago, but I'm still a Big East fan when it comes to college basketball.

That was a pretty decent game last night. Credit to Alabama which hung with the Huskies until about the 12:00 minute mark of the 2nd half when UConn finally separated itself down the stretch. I'm really looking forward to Monday night's game, especially the matchup between Clingan and Edey in the middle.

The early line has UConn favored by 6.5, which seems on the high side to me. Purdue is an excellent team on a roll of its own and with something to prove after laying a tournament egg last year. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if the Boilers actually won the game...though at this point, you can't pick against UConn looking to close out arguably the greatest college basketball run of the last 40 years.
I do look forward to the battle of the centers in this game. Truly, I root for a good game more than anything. Regardless of who wins, the narrative behind each team is compelling.

I do look forward to the battle of the centers in this game. Truly, I root for a good game more than anything. Regardless of who wins, the narrative behind each team is compelling.
That back up Center for UConn could be a difference maker as they have 10 fouls to guard Edey- which they will likely need. Dude has made some nice defensive plays in the tourney.

Reactions: bison13
We're a wrestling school using this logic

The things this board chooses to get mad about. It’s been this way for nearly 20 years. Complaining about effing everything

I haven't watched many Purdue games, but after seeing them against NC State, their guards were not impressive at all. Probably just an off game. But Connecticut applies so much defensive pressure; Purdue's guards will have to make plays and avoid turnovers (16 as in vs NC State would be a fatal blow vs UConn).

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I haven't watched many Purdue games, but after seeing them against NC State, their guards were not impressive at all. Probably just an off game. But Connecticut applies so much defensive pressure; Purdue's guards will have to make plays and avoid turnovers (16 as in vs NC State would be a fatal blow vs UConn).

Purdue is one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the country. They'll need to show that tomorrow night. When you look at some of the big-time upsets in the history of the tournament, that factor often comes into play.

The second big thing is what kind of game the refs call on the inside. Edey gets to the line a lot and he's very tough to stop if the refs don't allow some physical play against him. Then again, I don't think he's seen a matchup like Clingan in this tournament.

One scary thing about UConn is that their last two opponents actually played very well in the first half...and yet in both games the Huskies were still up by 4 or 5 at the break. When you play your best game for 20 minutes and are still on the short end of the score, it doesn't bode well for your chances. At some point in the 2nd half, you start to wilt a bit...and that's when UConn takes control.

I don't think any SEC school has a wrestling program. If they do, you never hear of them.
Missouri has wrestling and produces some good individuals and teams that compete in the Big12 for wrestling and that often end up in the top 10 in the NCAA Tournament. But Missouri is a relatively recent addition to the SEC, and other SEC schools did not have wrestling programs after 1981 or so.

Reactions: lazydave841
Purdue is one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the country. They'll need to show that tomorrow night. When you look at some of the big-time upsets in the history of the tournament, that factor often comes into play.

The second big thing is what kind of game the refs call on the inside. Edey gets to the line a lot and he's very tough to stop if the refs don't allow some physical play against him. Then again, I don't think he's seen a matchup like Clingan in this tournament.

One scary thing about UConn is that their last two opponents actually played very well in the first half...and yet in both games the Huskies were still up by 4 or 5 at the break. When you play your best game for 20 minutes and are still on the short end of the score, it doesn't bode well for your chances. At some point in the 2nd half, you start to wilt a bit...and that's when UConn takes control.
Just like South Carolina Lady Cocks today. Iowa just shot their way back into it, but is fighting uphill. Credit their guts. If Purdue is down 5 with 4 minutes left I bet they'd take it. Too deep, too athletic, and too fast.

I was at the PSU vs Purdue game at the Palestra last year. Edey is giraffe- like, literally had to duck to go through the doors to the locker room.

The guards had a great game that day, but you could see the youth and vulnerabilities which ultimately lead to the FDU loss.Just about any quality D1 guard could get the assists passing to Edey. They also should be able to hit open 3s. PSU has allowed career highs in 3s to multiple Boilers over the last 2 years.

UConn is at a different level. Relentless. Just like USC vs Clark, who played great at the start and then ignited the late run, the cast will have to step up. Only a super closely called game where Edey shoots 15+ free throws and Purdue shoots 50%+ on a significant number of 3s is this a game.

Hurley won't let up. UConn covers, just like it appears Gamecocks will today (-6.5)

Missouri has wrestling and produces some good individuals and teams that compete in the Big12 for wrestling and that often end up in the top 10 in the NCAA Tournament. But Missouri is a relatively recent addition to the SEC, and other SEC schools did not have wrestling programs after 1981 or so.
Is wrestling not popular in the south? It is big in Ohio high schools.

I lived in N. Jersey when Danny played for Seton Hall. The pressure on him to be like Bobby on the court was palpable. Unfortunately he wasn't 1/10th the player. Had PSU somehow hired him from URI we would love him.

Rafferty is getting too old for his role- a less commercialized Dickie V- but his knowledge of the game is top notch. Raff coached Seton Hall in the early stages of the Big East. I'm sure he counts Danny's dad as a longtime friend in the Jersey coaching community.

Sometimes it is hard not to gush over successful children of dear friends that you have known since birth. I teach with the son of a lifetime friend. A boy that we drove 4 hours to meet and hold when he was 2 weeks old. To have him be a colleague, and one who is on the path to excellence, is a beautiful thing to behold. Yeah- Rafferty is "supposed to" be impartial. He simply can't help himself and is likely too old to care.

I lived in CT for 4 years. My kids were born there. UConn mens and women's basketball is all the whole STATE has. Like Painter- but don't think the Purdue guards can stand up to the pressure.

I'll root for a good game- but have UConn in a pool and may sneak some 3rd place $. Go Huskies!
I think your analysis of he guard play is right. The two centers might neutralize each other but the guard play advantage goes to UCONN.

Is wrestling not popular in the south? It is big in Ohio high schools.
There is wrestling in the south, including NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, and others. Not nearly as popular as PA, OH, NY, NJ and much of the Midwest.

The SEC did have wrestling programs and cut them in the late 1970's, early 1980's because they were not producing revenue and administrations had to follow Title IX requirements for scholarship equity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT