ADVERTISEMENT

Two Losses by 5 Points in Total

They lost by 300 yards today.
To an offense that hadn't scored a point in something like over 100 minutes, and to a bad defense coming into this game. It's amazing, though not surprising, the amount of sugarcoating we're seeing on the board. I'm no expert but something is wrong. That is evident.

Reactions: FJ47 and psu00
I’m not ready to run Franklin out of town yet but I wouldn’t be sad to see him take another job at this point. Even though the run defense was atrocious today, Pry is the only coach earning his paycheck - as bad as the defense was it only gave up 10 points in regulation. How does the offense under wunderkid Yurcich only put up 10 on Illinois then have six of seven plays in OT unable to gain 3 yards

Just like the first five games last season, this team was completely unprepared to play a football game today. State High, with all its injuries, would have put up more fight.

I’m reminded how I felt after 6-4 - that the team is rudderless and will be listless the rest of the year.

Oh well, great recruiting class next year.

Reactions: psu00 and nits74
I’m not ready to run Franklin out of town yet but I wouldn’t be sad to see him take another job at this point. Even though the run defense was atrocious today, Pry is the only coach earning his paycheck - as bad as the defense was it only gave up 10 points in regulation. How does the offense under wunderkid Yurcich only put up 10 on Illinois then have six of seven plays in OT unable to gain 3 yards

Just like the first five games last season, this team was completely unprepared to play a football game today. State High, with all its injuries, would have put up more fight.

I’m reminded how I felt after 6-4 - that the team is rudderless and will be listless the rest of the year.

Oh well, great recruiting class next year.
I wouldn't bet on that yet. With respect to the offense, this is a group that couldn't even run the ball against Villanova. I remember Matt Millen commenting at the time that if Penn State didn't improve its running game, it would be rough sledding once conference play began. He was right, and as a result they're nothing more than a mid-level team, if that.

1 of those losses to the worst team in the conference. At home. As 24 point favorites.

To an offense that hadn't scored a point in something like over 100 minutes, and to a bad defense coming into this game. It's amazing, though not surprising, the amount of sugarcoating we're seeing on the board. I'm no expert but something is wrong. That is evident.
As Finebaum said... the loss to Illinois was seismic no matter the score. It should never have happened after a bye week. No matter the what if’s. One of the programs worst defeats in 125+ yrs. Just let that sink in. Inexcusable.

Yeah, hurts to look at it that way. But we just as easily could have lost the Wisconsin and Auburn games.

Yep, that's the thing with these kinds of losses.

In 2018, we talked a lot about how we lost to OSU and MSU by a combined 5 points or whatever it was. Well, App State would have beaten us had they not scored too soon late in that 4th quarter, and we escaped with some close wins elsewhere (Iowa is a good example). It goes both ways.

Fact is, simply being in a position to lose to Illinois is damning enough.

Reactions: grinagrin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT