ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter erupts as blown call costs Penn State lacrosse a chance to advance to its first NCAA title game (article linked)

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
CLICK HERE for hotlink to article.
Check out the pic at the very top of the article just touching the line is a violation) - but according to a supposed PSU fan in another thread it was an extremely, unbelievably difficult call [insert eyeroll].

Here is the first paragraph excerpted directly from article:

An obvious officiating blunder cost the Penn State men’s lacrosse team a chance to advance to its first NCAA final appearance, and Twitter erupted over it. No. 1 seed Duke topped the No. 5 seed Nittany Lions with a sudden-death goal in overtime at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia Saturday, a score that should not have counted due to a clear crease violation by the Blue Devils.

Check out the comment section below article.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
It was a tough call with the angle they both had all of the bodies in the way with a bang-bang call (never said it was an “extremely, unbelievably difficult call”)…had video review been an option, it would have been overturned.

However, living in a fantasy world where the ref was a “a couple of feet away” and it was an “easy call” seems to be your thing bushy. Always a conspiracy or horrific officiating, right?

Check out the pic at the very top of the article just touching the line is a violation) - but according to a supposed PSU fan in another thread it was an extremely, unbelievably difficult call [insert eyeroll].

What's unbelievable is the pic at very top of article show's the Duke player's left foot violated Crease, but then he also brought his right foot forward that he planted and shot off of which also violated crease.

Another article I saw said the crowd (and Tambroni) were going wild booing immediately at the non-call (and Tambroni trying to get Officials to explain why no call was made) - so everyone in Stadium could immediately see it was a Crease Violation, but it was an impossibly difficult call....

It was a tough call with the angle they both had all of the bodies in the way with a bang-bang call (never said it was an “extremely, unbelievably difficult call”)…had video review been an option, it would have been overturned.

However, living in a fantasy world where the ref was a “a couple of feet away” and it was an “easy call” seems to be your thing bushy. Always a conspiracy or horrific officiating, right?

Hit the hotlink below - and yes, this is the title of actual article:

We Just Witnessed The Biggest Botch Job In Lacrosse History With This No-Call In Overtime Of Duke vs Penn State Semifinals

What's unbelievable is the pic at very top of article show's the Duke player's left foot violated Crease, but then he also brought his right foot forward that he planted and shot off of which also violated crease.

Another article I saw said the crowd (and Tambroni) were going wild booing immediately at the non-call (and Tambroni trying to get Officials to explain why no call was made) - so everyone in Stadium could immediately see it was a Crease Violation, but it was an impossibly difficult call....
His right foot was in the crease…the left foot wasn’t.

Reactions: wilbury
Duke's Coach was predictably coy...why not...he "won." Then he questioned earlier crease call that waived off a goal (wrong). Then whined that they "never went man up...do you mean to tell me we never got fouled all game?"

At the same time he claimed to have had it "go both ways" (but maybe not in Final 4) and that "it is hard enough to get officials to do college games" which is probably true.

Conspiracy? No. Blown call? Yes.

Whoever that official is will go down in PSU lore in the "Sam Lickliter" mold. Odd for that IU hoops blunder to come up twice this week. For those who haven't seen the full highlight/heartbreak here it is.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
And in your article, we get…

Don't get me wrong, it's a tough call to make in real time. Especially when you have Dyson Williams taking away the eyes of the ref who would be responsible to make the call.

But this is overtime of the semifinals. It was literally the most important shot taken of the season so far. You'd think that a moment like this would be reviewable. You'd think that Penn State could see the refs clearly botched this non-call and took matters in their own hands to review the call. Hell, every goal in overtime should be reviewed.

It sucks but we calls are missed. That's part of sports. Just like coaches and players aren't perfect, we'll never have perfect officiating. The only option is to accept that. Officiating was always flawed but the speed of the game now makes it almost impossible.

Also the crowd booing doesn't mean anything. Crowds always think calls go against there teams.

It sucks the call wasn’t reviewable. But those are the rules and it was a difficult call to make in real time. What I find more unbelievable is that just a few minutes prior, Penn State had an unforced offsides call and then right after getting the ball back on offense again, they had a 1 man advantage with a minute to go in regulation and didn’t even get a shot off.

It sucks the call wasn’t reviewable. But those are the rules and it was a difficult call to make in real time. What I find more unbelievable is that just a few minutes prior, Penn State had an unforced offsides call and then right after getting the ball back on offense again, they had a 1 man advantage with a minute to go in regulation and didn’t even get a shot off.

Absurdly enough Crease Violations are Replay Reviewable under NCAA Women's Lacrosse Rules. The NCAA is so f'ed up - just a joke that the NCAA Rules Committee can be so inconsistent.

I look forward to more of your analysis on this topic.

• Haha
I look forward to more of your analysis on this topic.
What’s sad is there is such a “boy who cried wolf” that the actual issue often gets lost with him (and if you don’t agree, you’re not an actual Penn St fan). It was a harsh call that ended the season and sucked for us. But to make it some blatantly obvious thing that was impossible to miss, to claim that the ref was a few feet away, or to claim that both feet were in the crease when one of them wasn’t close all just hurts the actual facts of what happened.

It was a tough call against us that the refs missed due to not having a great look at it while everything was moving quickly…it wasn’t a conspiracy or terrible incompetence.

Reactions: mn78psu83
What’s sad is there is such a “boy who cried wolf” that the actual issue often gets lost with him (and if you don’t agree, you’re not an actual Penn St fan). It was a harsh call that ended the season and sucked for us. But to make it some blatantly obvious thing that was impossible to miss, to claim that the ref was a few feet away, or to claim that both feet were in the crease when one of them wasn’t close all just hurts the actual facts of what happened.

It was a tough call against us that the refs missed due to not having a great look at it while everything was moving quickly…it wasn’t a conspiracy or terrible incompetence.

Show me where I said it was a "conspiracy" you lying douche - I've already posted double figure references via articles and referenced media tweets inbedded in those articles where independent, unbiased parties have flatly stated it was a blatantly bad, egregious non-call.

BTW, you've yet to explain how the NCAA doesn't look incompetent when the NCAA Men's and Women's Replay Review Rule essentially reads identical except for this last "reviewable scenario" in the Women's Rulebook which is not in the Men's Replay Review Rule:

• To determine whether the player shooting has stepped on or into the goal circle, or any other player of the attacking team has entered the goal circle, and if so, if the act of stepping onto or into the goal circle was the result of a foul. This review would only be in response to a goal or no-goal signal and at the request and discretion of the head official, head coach or any player on the field of play at the time of the shot.

Ludicrous that the NCAA "Rules Committee" can understand the appropriateness of this rule in terms of integrity, and fairness, of the game for student-athletes in regards to the Women's Rulebook, but didn't understand it for the Men's Rulebook.... - sorry, but there is a complete and utter logical fail in your position. The NCAA Rules Committee looks like the incompetent assholes they are - utterly embarrassing, which is sadly typical for the NCAA as an organization in general.

Last edited:
Here is what I did say in an earlier post:

Would say this demonstrates incompetence on the part of both the Official and the NCAA. The Official via poor mechanics and the NCAA via a complete incompetence by their "Rules Committee" that could create identical Replay Rules for the Men's and Women's Games but for the most important, and fundamental, rationale for even having a replay rule: the scenario of overturning CLEARLY incorrect "Goal or No-Goal" calls by the Officials - especially in OT as the NCAA OT rule is first "LEGAL GOAL" scored ends game. So somehow the NCAA Rules Committee understood the importance of this most basic, and fundamental, reasons to have a Replay Rule in the Women's Rulebook, but not the Men's Rulebook..... and that complete and utter logical fail, and absurd inconsistency, is not clear evidence of the NCAA's legendary incompetence as an organization???

Don't see a shred of a hint about "conspiracy" in their douche-nozzle.

This quote is from one of the better known retired coaches in College Lacrosse:

But many, from casual viewers and tweeters to lacrosse insiders, feel that NCAA Lacrosse has much to work on.​
“Our game has got to catch up,” ESPN’s Bill Tierney, who coached at Denver and Princeton, said on ESPN’s post-game show. “That’s a big-time play and a big-time loss. Obviously, Duke gets to move on, but Penn State, which played an amazing game, has to suffer with this for the rest of their lives, really?”​

Let me guess, he's an utter nutjob conspiracy theorist.... - let me quote you his last sentence again, "Penn State, which played an amazing game, has to suffer with this for the rest of their lives, really?". What he is saying is that it is absurdly unnecessary and avoidable but for the NCAA's ridiculous incompetence in managing the game via the Replay Review Rules where the Men's and Women's Replay Review Rule read nearly identical but for one scenario:
  • To determine whether the player shooting has stepped on or into the goal circle, or any other player of the attacking team has entered the goal circle, and if so, if the act of stepping onto or into the goal circle was the result of a foul. This review would only be in response to a goal or no-goal signal and at the request and discretion of the head official, head coach or any player on the field of play at the time of the shot.
This most fundamental, and seminal, of reasons to have a Replay Review (Overturn incorrect, and potentially game altering, Goal / No Goal Calls) somehow is in the Women's Replay Rule, but not the Men's Replay Rule, when the two rules are otherwise the same. And this makes perfect sense according to some of the insufferable poser-troll asses on this board, but doesn't to an unbiased fairly legendary college lacrosse coach - go figure.

Last edited:
This quote is from one of the better known retired coaches in College Lacrosse:

But many, from casual viewers and tweeters to lacrosse insiders, feel that NCAA Lacrosse has much to work on.​
“Our game has got to catch up,” ESPN’s Bill Tierney, who coached at Denver and Princeton, said on ESPN’s post-game show. “That’s a big-time play and a big-time loss. Obviously, Duke gets to move on, but Penn State, which played an amazing game, has to suffer with this for the rest of their lives, really?”​

Let me guess, he's an utter nutjob conspiracy theorist.... - let me quote you his last sentence again, "Penn State, which played an amazing game, has to suffer with this for the rest of their lives, really?". What he is saying is that it is absurdly unnecessary and avoidable but for the NCAA's ridiculous incompetence in managing the game via the Replay Review Rules where the Men's and Women's Replay Review Rule read nearly identical but for one scenario:
This most fundamental, and seminal, of reasons to have a Replay Review (Overturn incorrect, and potentially game altering, Goal / No Goal Calls) somehow is in the Women's Replay Rule, but not the Men's Replay Rule, when the two rules are otherwise the same. And this makes perfect sense according to some of the insufferable poser-troll asses on this board, but doesn't to an unbiased fairly legendary college lacrosse coach - go figure.
This post reflects your insanity on making this anything other than a rule change moving forward.

However, living in a fantasy world where the ref was a “a couple of feet away” and it was an “easy call” seems to be your thing bushy. Always a conspiracy or horrific officiating,

well you admit it was a bad call so why are you even commenting on this?

well the coaches could see it from the bench and they were pretty far away!I am sure the refs were closer!

isn't that why we have refs to correctly make those difficult calls?

isn't that why we have refs to correctly make those difficult calls?
No sane person has the expectation that refs are going to get all the calls right at the speed these games are played at. If you do you're always going to be angry. Calls being missed are part of the game. Any refusal to accept that is illogical.

Why wasn't this board complaining that this wasn't reviewable prior to yesterday? The answer is almost no one here cares at all about LAX. They just want to bitch.

Also Penn State fans and coaches complaining in the moment doesn't mean a ref should have seen it. Those complaints exist even when the call is right. Again see Heat Celtics G6

Reactions: mn78psu83

I think it’s just a matter of: Close? Penn State is involved? We’ll go the other way. Every time. We over time, it appears more conspiratorial. And the end results are ~

I think it’s just a matter of: Close? Penn State is involved? We’ll go the other way. Every time. We over time, it appears more conspiratorial. And the end results are ~
That's because as a fan of Penn State you remember the calls that go against us and ignore or forget calls that go against others. There's no conspiracy. It's just an excuse many create to ignore failures.

That's because as a fan of Penn State you remember the calls that go against us and ignore or forget calls that go against others. There's no conspiracy. It's just an excuse many create to ignore failures.
Really?…where are tbe YouTube clips of just the Blantyre football injustices alone? What about the ref telling us that “we are lucky to be playing football?”

Why was replay added to CFB?

Why will it now be expanded in lacrosse? What other schools have a similar experience?

Do tell.

• Wow
Really?…where are tbe YouTube clips of just the Blantyre football injustices alone? What about the ref telling us that “we are lucky to be playing football?”

Why was replay added to CFB?

Why will it now be expanded in lacrosse? What other schools have a similar experience?

Do tell.
lmao
First, we were lucky to be playing football since our own leaders tried to destroy us. Second, countless other missed calls warranted instant replay being implemented. Conferences just didn't want to spend the money. Third, why would anyone be out to get Penn State LAX? Fourth, all schools have similar experiences. Fifth, you have to stop playing the victim. I swear we have the most delusional fan base I'm sports other than the Leafs, the Cowboys and ND football. Easily top 5.

lmao
First, we were lucky to be playing football since our own leaders tried to destroy us. Second, countless other missed calls warranted instant replay being implemented. Conferences just didn't want to spend the money. Third, why would anyone be out to get Penn State LAX? Fourth, all schools have similar experiences. Fifth, you have to stop playing the victim. I swear we have the most delusional fan base I'm sports other than the Leafs, the Cowboys and ND football. Easily top 5.
Lmao…you are practicing revisionist history. All I stated what was obviously true...with specific examples…Not playing victim - just being realistic. Cite your specific examples and you will have some credibility.

“We?”

• Haha
Lmao…you are practicing revisionist history. All I stated what was obviously true...with specific examples…Not playing victim - just being realistic. Cite your specific examples and you will have some credibility.

“We?”
Yes "we"
What team would you like me to cite examples for that had calls go against them--at least in their opinion.
And you provided examples that all fan bases have aside from "you're lucky to even be playing football" but that one was an accurate statement.

Yes "we"
What team would you like me to cite examples for that had calls go against them--at least in their opinion.
And you provided examples that all fan bases have aside from "you're lucky to even be playing football" but that one was an accurate statement.
Take your pick and provide the specifics Skippy.

Take your pick and provide the specifics Skippy.
We can start with Missouri and their games against Colorado in 1990 and Nebraska in 1997 which are considered two of the worst officiating mistakes of all time but since they didn't happen against Penn State do you care?

List any P5 school and there's countless examples without even having to think about it. If you aren't biased and recall games for what they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT