ADVERTISEMENT

Twenty years of blood and treasure for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

91Joe95

Aug 15, 2003
The situation is degrading rapidly. How about let's keep the politics out of this and just discuss America's longest war. Don't forget, this used to be a non-partisan issue.

There is zero chance people will keep politics out of this.

That being said, I wish I knew what the answer is here. Nobody knows what the right thing is, although, people will say they do based on which news channel they watch. I tend to think that never meddling in the first place is always the right way to go, however, I 100% understand why we did here. Just not sure what our obligation was after we killed Bin Laden.

Perhaps it is China's problem now.

In the end, the answer is total war. Which of course would be a blood bath and we would never do it.
There are only 75,000 Taliban fighters. But we would end up killing 500,000 or more civilians to kill them. Wish someone knew what the answer was.

Last edited:
NEVER SHOULD HAVE GO
The situation is degrading rapidly. How about let's keep the politics out of this and just discuss America's longest war. Don't forget, this used to be a non-partisan issue.

SHOULD HAVE NEVER GONE THERE JUST A BIG JOKE NEVER TRIED OR WANTED TO WIN!!

That being said, I wish I knew what the answer is here. Nobody knows what the right thing is, although, people will say they do based on which news channel they watch. I tend to think that never meddling in the first place is always the right way to go, however, I 100% understand why we did here. Just not sure what our obligation was after we killed Bin Laden.

In the end, the answer is total war. Which of course would be a blood bath and we would never do it.
There are only 75,000 Taliban fighters. But we would end up killing 500,000 or more civilians to kill them. Wish someone knew what the answer was.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My biggest concern at the beginning was the Taliban extended into Pakistan so always had a sanctuary to reconstitute and regroup in. In the beginning of the war Pakistan seemed to be providing a bit of help there, but that seemed to die off. Watching the Afghan government collapse so quickly makes it look like the local warlords, as apparently is their custom, decided to switch sides.

Only way to stop this BS is 2 years mandatory military service for all.
Congress then might pay attention, and people might appreciate what they have.
well the draft certainly didnt work in viet nam same shit rich guys didnt go and we didnt try or want to win that war either!!But we should be like the UK everyone has to join for at least 2 yrs!

Only way to stop this BS is 2 years mandatory military service for all.
Congress then might pay attention, and people might appreciate what they have.

While I am sympathetic to that notion, a professional army usually yields the best results. Doesn't necessarily help with the civics end, but the fighting forces tend to be excellent.

NEVER SHOULD HAVE GO

Watching America's wars in the past 60 years is fascinating. The soldiers kick some serious ass, and should win, and then the politicians get nervous and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It really makes you wonder why the politicians think this is in America's best interests in the first place. I never worry about the armed forces, it's the politicians will to win.

While I am sympathetic to that notion, a professional army usually yields the best results. Doesn't necessarily help with the civics end, but the fighting forces tend to be excellent.
A professional Army results in this crap and Viet Nam.
Millions dead for nothing.
The goofballs knew they had no worry.

My gratitude for all of those that served. The idea was to wipe out a regime that funded and harbored terrorists, the same ones that launched 9-11. Let’s hope we demonstrated our resolve if they do this again but nation building continues to be a failed option in every nation where it has been tried.

My wife's cousin just got deployed. He did 2 tours in Iraq and wanted to go back because they killed his best friend. He and his wife just had their first child 3 months ago. Sucks.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Taliban wanted negotiations when Bin Laden was in Tora Bora.

Instead of the Taliban allowing a peaceful withdrawal they are attacking U. S. citizens and soldiers. If thats the case, Bagram Air Base should be destroyed along with left over artillery, vehicles and choppers.

Reactions: RickinDayton
My gratitude for all of those that served. The idea was to wipe out a regime that funded and harbored terrorists, the same ones that launched 9-11. Let’s hope we demonstrated our resolve if they do this again but nation building continues to be a failed option in every nation where it has been tried.
Serious question because I am not a war historian; how did the US get to ge so friendly with Japan, Germany, and Italy so “ quickly “ after WWII? Japan was a never surrender country and even after we dropped two atomic bombs, we became great allies with them within a few decades.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I can’t give this enough likes.

I’m having issues linking Twitter but here’s the gist: someone who served two tours there said that everyone knew what would happen once we pulled out. That was the choice: stay in forever or watch the Taliban take over.

The Iraq war was a disaster. This is the sequel. It's the same story. We used 9/11 to greenlight nation building in the name of "national security" which is code for Middle Eastern and Caspian oil.

Serious question because I am not a war historian; how did the US get to ge so friendly with Japan, Germany, and Italy so “ quickly “ after WWII? Japan was a never surrender country and even after we dropped two atomic bombs, we became great allies with them within a few decades.
In Europe = Marshall Plan
In Japan = Douglas MacArthur

Last edited:
Reactions: m48tank
Both were nations with centralized power. Afghanistan was really just a group of tribes and nomads that had minimal issues to band them together. One of their biggest exports is heroin (poppies) so that tells you a lot. In addition they have a combined religion and political power structure. Their religion is their politics so religion is easily corrupted by politics making crazed zealots

that’s my take.

This went south on a rapid manner under the current administration. Not political......just a truthful and factual statement

The US’s biggest strength is also it’s biggest weakness - restraint. People respect and support US efforts because we go through insane lengths to preserve human life and minimize collateral damage. Were that not the case, this is a much shorter and potentially much more successful effort (IMO).

The OP's title was brilliant, blood and treasure for what? Well, for big profits in the military industrial complex of corporations for one thing, money is always at the root of decision making. Arrogance of some, the 9/11 furor, rightly so but misplaced in attempting to gain the hearts and minds of the Afghan or Iran populations. These folks have been waring for millennia and we were going to reform them in 20 years? What a waste of life and permanently disabled warriors, their families and our nation. Might doesn’t make right, when will we learn to keep our noses out of other people’s business, we haven't come close since Vietnam. Sorry to go negative but I've felt these "wars" were misled for a very long time now. Watching We Were Soldiers brings tears to my eyes, the waste, the loss, the widows and fatherless not to mention the enormous cost in dollars to each of us. We never learn the lessons of history.

Reading an article that on May 1, 2003, Rumsfeld announced the end of combat operations in Afghanistan, shifting over to stabilization and rebuilding. Constitution passed in 2004, opting for stronger centralized government and weaker regional authorities, which was the opposite of what was customary. Karzai elected on Oct 9, 2004.

17 years later and the government folds in an instant. We could stay another 10 years and it wouldn't get any better. Hindsight is 20/20, but IMO, we should have left after taking out Bin Laden. Don't understand why we think we can install western style democracies in the Middle East.

Is it 2 late to send Starvy Milkovitz over there teach em.how to milk and if need be sautee a cat. That guy is like McGoober out there.

The OP's title was brilliant, blood and treasure for what? Well, for big profits in the military industrial complex of corporations for one thing, money is always at the root of decision making. Arrogance of some, the 9/11 furor, rightly so but misplaced in attempting to gain the hearts and minds of the Afghan or Iran populations. These folks have been waring for millennia and we were going to reform them in 20 years? What a waste of life and permanently disabled warriors, their families and our nation. Might doesn’t make right, when will we learn to keep our noses out of other people’s business, we haven't come close since Vietnam. Sorry to go negative but I've felt these "wars" were misled for a very long time now. Watching We Were Soldiers brings tears to my eyes, the waste, the loss, the widows and fatherless not to mention the enormous cost in dollars to each of us. We never learn the lessons of history.
Big profits for … complex = rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT