ADVERTISEMENT

TV Alert. Aliquippa vs Bishop McDevitt, 7pm on PCN for 4A PA Championship

It's not my loss. It's the kids in that division including Mcdevitt's.

1. Player safety is being ignored and some very significant injuries have already resulted.

2. Winning 70-0 against teams that might have 1 kid that would make your 2 deep is achieving nothing.

3. Mcdevitt's coach leaving starters in up by 60 or 70 until the last drive or so teaches and models poor sportsmanship.

4. Mcdevitt's recruited kids aren't developing because they aren't being challenged in real competition.

5. Mcdevitt's recruited kids aren't being as seriously looked at by universities that know their deal because you cannot evaluate QBs with all day to throw and WRs open by at least 10 yards. You cannot evaluate RBs who run throw holes that are usually 5 yards wide.

6. No one is impressed by Mcdevitt doing this. I'm a catholic that grew up attending St Catherine's church and I am embarrassed and disgusted by what Mcdevitt is doing putting their own ego above kids' safety and welfare and teaching them horrible life lessons.
I made a thread just for you to discuss all of this. Take the crap there.

The RB Williams from Bishop McDevitt is committed to Minny, which is why their coaches were at the game.

I believe PSU has offered one of the Aliquippa RB's but can't remember which one. Probably the smaller one that is super quick.

And PSU has reportedly offered the 2024 WR Rico Scott from McDevitt.
I was shocked the Quips got steamrolled like that. They just have absolutely no passing game at all. They had a hell of a run of wins and titles going for such a small school.

I might be wrong, but I thought the announcers said the Quips feature back was a SO? I think he was the smaller back.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I was shocked the Quips got steamrolled like that. They just have absolutely no passing game at all. They had a hell of a run of wins and titles going for such a small school.

I might be wrong, but I thought the announcers said the Quips feature back was a SO? I think he was the smaller back.
I still came away from the game believing that the Quips could win half of the games against McDevitt if they played more games. The Quips just turned the ball over and took too many penalties to beat a very good team, even though the Quips seemed to have their moments as well. But with their reliance on the run falling behind against a very good team is not they way to get a W. Their running game took a while to get going.

Yep, I believe the smaller back is on PSU's radar.

Westinghouse and Southern Columbia should be a good one today in the AA final. Westinghouse is really good. The won most, if not all, their games easily this year. SC is a traditional powerhouse that lost a couple games this year.

Westinghouse and Southern Columbia should be a good one today in the AA final. Westinghouse is really good. The won most, if not all, their games easily this year. SC is a traditional powerhouse that lost a couple games this year.
"Perched on a hill back from the road
mungst fields and ridges fair...
there stands our school Southern Area HIgh
a grand alma mater for you I sigh..
so on Black and Gold be Tigers for good
scholars and athletes too....
now sing thy praise with voices raising...
Southern High!
;)

I still came away from the game believing that the Quips could win half of the games against McDevitt if they played more games. The Quips just turned the ball over and took too many penalties to beat a very good team, even though the Quips seemed to have their moments as well. But with their reliance on the run falling behind against a very good team is not they way to get a W. Their running game took a while to get going.

Yep, I believe the smaller back is on PSU's radar.
I'm watching the replay now on PCN. The RB is Hayes listed at 5'11" and 203 lbs as a SO. Hope he continues to progress and comes to PSU. Should be a good one.

"Perched on a hill back from the road
mungst fields and ridges fair...
there stands our school Southern Area HIgh
a grand alma mater for you I sigh..
so on Black and Gold be Tigers for good
scholars and athletes too....
now sing thy praise with voices raising...
Southern High!
;)
Saw the first football game ever played at Southern as a 7th grader. LOL
Played there from 64-67 seasons. The Football Boosters used to host rock picking parties to make our practice field "safer." Eventually we moved our home games to Athletic Park in Bloomsburg and had a few day games at Catawissa Redskins field. Boy, they sure have come a long way.

The Quips are also a major recruitment school from all over the Pittsburgh region. PIAA turns a blind eye
I don’t think Aliquippa recruits, but kids clearly relocate there to play, or play games with residency (use the address of a relative). The area has been a talent hotbed for 6O years, but I find it illogical that a school with 30 or 40 boys per class have so much high end talent consistently.

I don’t think Aliquippa recruits, but kids clearly relocate there to play, or play games with residency (use the address of a relative). The area has been a talent hotbed for 6O years, but I find it illogical that a school with 30 or 40 boys per class have so much high end talent consistently.

Clairton also had a decent run of great teams. I don't believe families move to Clairton to play high school football either....... Neither Aliquippa or Clairton are either neighborhood or academic destinations.

Reactions: bison13
I'm watching the replay now on PCN. The RB is Hayes listed at 5'11" and 203 lbs as a SO. Hope he continues to progress and comes to PSU. Should be a good one.
If he’s the same young man I saw in Hershey last year, he is impressive. I was told walking out of the game that he was a freshman. I was floored. Nice jump cut and seems to have some power.

If he’s the same young man I saw in Hershey last year, he is impressive. I was told walking out of the game that he was a freshman. I was floored. Nice jump cut and seems to have some power.
That's very likely him. They were highlighting him in the pregame.

They bring in a number of top players most years, like 5 or 6 a year. mostly from the city league. The city league doesn't play good football with poor coaching and limited facilities.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Clairton also had a decent run of great teams. I don't believe families move to Clairton to play high school football either....... Neither Aliquippa or Clairton are either neighborhood or academic destinations.
I familiar with Aliquippa. Clairton had that great run with Boyd and Wade. Aliquippa has been consistently very good to great for decades after the town depopulated. I don’t know, seems literally impossible that basically half the kids in the town turn out to be average to excellent high school football players.

It is a fact that kids transfer in, mostly from other disadvantaged school districts. But I don’t think they actively recruit. Many of these families are transient/don’t own homes and move their kids to the district for an opportunity at football.

I familiar with Aliquippa. Clairton had that great run with Boyd and Wade. Aliquippa has been consistently very good to great for decades after the town depopulated. I don’t know, seems literally impossible that basically half the kids in the town turn out to be average to excellent high school football players.

It is a fact that kids transfer in, mostly from other disadvantaged school districts. But I don’t think they actively recruit. Many of these families are transient/don’t own homes and move their kids to the district for an opportunity at football.
Some contribute on the field by just being tough kids, which they become from growing up on the streets.......

Reactions: bison13

This is spot on. I grew up and played in western PA as well as coached there. Schools like Aliquippa don’t actively recruit, but they do get a lot of kids who have tough lives that move into the district for various reasons like cheap housing for living with a friend and with some it’s to play football on a good team to potentially be seen in big games and have a chance to get out of that lifestyle.

So yes they get transfers but you don’t see the coaches at a 7x7 camp or a summer basketball league walking up to the kids or their parents after a game and handing them a brochure to go to their private school like I saw all the time when I was playing and coaching.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Thought the AA game was very good. I was mildly rooting for Westinghouse, since no Pittsburgh city team has ever made the finals. But I love the old school SC offense.

This is spot on. I grew up and played in western PA as well as coached there. Schools like Aliquippa don’t actively recruit, but they do get a lot of kids who have tough lives that move into the district for various reasons like cheap housing for living with a friend and with some it’s to play football on a good team to potentially be seen in big games and have a chance to get out of that lifestyle.

So yes they get transfers but you don’t see the coaches at a 7x7 camp or a summer basketball league walking up to the kids or their parents after a game and handing them a brochure to go to their private school like I saw all the time when I was playing and coaching.
Yea, a lot of kids come from troubled families.,,, no father, mother with issues. Kids sometimes move to an uncle or grandma. So if they have relatives in those football towns it’s where they go.

Last edited:
Not impressed with CV as a state championship site. Nice HS facility, no disrespect to them, but the games need to be at a bigger, better venue (venue, not just field). PIAA dropped the ball here and went to lowest bidder even though they’re loaded with cash. Games should be played at Hershey and tell them to upgrade their facilities if needed. Bad look for PA state championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT