ADVERTISEMENT

Trip Advice, Western National Parks

I did White Butte in March. You probably saw my name in the register...

51529026114_ef9d226f84_c.jpg
Nice - probably a bit colder than my visit in mid-May, but less chance of rattlesnakes. I was on high alert for them

We usually took the more southerly route on the way out, if only to stop at Wall Drug.
Three times I've taken 75 from Toledo to the UP of Michigan and 2 all the way to Glacier. Longer in both miles and time but a much nicer and relaxing drive. What's the rush? Did Wall Drug, Badlands, Rushmore, Deadwood, Motorcycle museum in Sturgis, Little Big Horn and the Black Hills area on previous trips.

Awesome itinerary. I haven’t been to the first 2, but have been to the rest. Bryce hikes are a bear because you always end the hike with a long climb up and out. Fairyland Loop trail is fantastic. Hit it early given this time of the year and you’ll have it mainly to yourself.
Thanks for the tip. That hike is on our list. I'm actually looking forward to Grand Staircase Escalante. Hiking slot canyons and we have gear to get down into Coyote Gulch.

We were also lucky enough to get permits to do Subway at Zion.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Decades ago, b4 I was drafted (1st CAV), I worked for Weyerhaeuser out of Klamath Falls Oregon . A HS teacher on summer vacation was my "guide"! He got us to the W lands, I did the forestry work. The diameter of Crater Lake's rim is less than the diameter 20' - 30' below the rim. We jumped off the rim, landed on sand like earth and "skied" down to it in our boots. He knew a location where tree branches were lashed and/or nailed to living saplings and that was your ladder out! Anyway, you should check it out and enjoy. I did my "Advanced Infantry" training at Fort Lewis . I will tell you, the beer and babes in Seattle were fine, the few times they left us off the resignation! "Damn spell check!" reservation!

Last edited:
I’ve been to most of the major western parks (minus Yosemite which is next in my list). Glacier and Zion are my two must see parks. They are both spectacular and very unique vs. anything else I’ve seen in the US. Honestly it’s hard to go wrong with any of them!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT