ADVERTISEMENT

Tremendous effort by basketball team

Type of game that builds confidence. In each player. In each other. And in the coach.
Agree...
Huddle Up Go Team GIF by MANGOTEETH

This is the never quit, scrappy defense, teams that Roades fielded and won with at VCU. I believe we are going to be very happy with coach Rhoades as he develops PSU BB.

It's sort of a double win for me. PSU BB plays exciting tough games and wins more games, and my son's U of Dayton Flyers don't get beat by VCU as much as they have the last few years......

Last edited:
We’re extremely unlikely to win 10 conference games
I can see 8 and possibly 9. 10 is a stretch but maybe an upset like beating Wisky at home gets us there.

Mich at home
Minny at home
Iowa at home
MSU at home
Indiana at home
Maryland at home
Then steal a road game or two. Maybe at Nebby, Minny Rutgers or Iowa.

I can see 8 and possibly 9. 10 is a stretch but maybe an upset like beating Wisky at home gets us there.

Mich at home
Minny at home
Iowa at home
MSU at home
Indiana at home
Maryland at home
We’ll likely be favored in 1-2 more Big Ten games, so getting to something like 6 wins would be a solid result. Getting to 10 would mean that we’re winning a LOT of games we’re not expected to win. We’re just not that good this season.

We’ll likely be favored in 1-2 more Big Ten games, so getting to something like 6 wins would be a solid result. Getting to 10 would mean that we’re winning a LOT of games we’re not expected to win. We’re just not that good this season.
Have you seen the B10? Did you think we beat OSU?

Mich is terrible, Indiana is a fraud, Nebby is Nebby. Sparty is not good. Iowa is so so. Minny, meh. Rutgers??

Point being we can win at home against most of the conference teams starting with #5 team. Hard to win on the road in the conference.

I think we exceed 6 wins, that would be the low end for us. Rhoades is a good coach, I see this team playing hard every night for him.

Mich is terrible, Indiana is a fraud, Nebby is Nebby. Sparty is not good. Iowa is so so. Minny, meh. Rutgers??

Point being we can win at home against most of the conference teams starting with #5 team. Hard to win on the road in the conference.

I think we exceed 6 wins, that would be the low end for us. Rhoades is a good coach, I see this team playing hard every night for him.
Maryland is not very good and we lost to them and Bucknell is horrible.

Reactions: bdgan

I have seen the Big Ten a lot, and I’ve got us as the 14th best team today. Those teams that are “terrible”, “frauds”, and “not good” are better than us.

Mich at home
Minny at home
Iowa at home
MSU at home
Indiana at home
Maryland at home
Geez. One at a time, my man.😀

Reactions: bdgan and bison13
I have seen the Big Ten a lot, and I’ve got us as the 14th best team today. Those teams that are “terrible”, “frauds”, and “not good” are better than us.
You are probably 100% right. But what you see in Nov/Dec is now what you will see in Feb/March. How many other teams in the B2G have had a near 100% turnover that we have had? All near coaching staff? Nearly all new squad? A completely different style of play?

I would posit that this team will make more improvements than most any other team. Not predicting how many they can win as that’s a fools errand. But I will predict with confidence they will get better as the season rolls along and surprise a few teams.

The second half last night was outstanding, especially with puff being useless all game. But I’m not gonna go overboard off of 15 minutes of basketball. This team probably wins five or six games in the league as of right now.

We’re not very good in pick and roll help defense and help defense overall. we’ve been caught in no man’s land quite a few times and are not able to stop the penetration or the kick out. Plus Q is doing OK inside but he’s not as relentless on the boards like Harrar was so until other guys step up to help on the defensive glass they will continue to struggle.

They definitely can win their next three games though Georgia Tech has played up and down like us, they beat Duke, but lost to UMass Lowell. I don’t really see them winning more than three games in January though they could start to gel and if O’Boyle and Dunn play like yesterday, maybe they can get an upset here or there.

Last edited:
Reactions: dswartz
The good news is that O'Boyle was 4-5 from 3 pt range.

The bad news is we were still out rebounded 43-31. PSU is 13th in the BiG rebounding. That's really bad, especially considering Wahab is the 6th leading rebounder in the conference. Rhodes blames it on a lack of strong physical bodies which is true but IMO the problem goes deeper than that. We don't block out and nobody except Wahab crashes the boards.

We also lost assists in this game 21-11. IMO a big reason is that our penetrators (Baldwin & Clary) have to score when they penetrate. They don't have many kickout opportunities.

I agree that we'll be lucky to win 6 BiG games. We've won 4 OOC games so far as should beat Lemoyne & Rider. If they can also beat Ga Tech that would be 7 OOC wins and a 13-19 record. This team is a long was from an NIT bid.

Reactions: bison13
I would have guessed 7-13 in conference for this group, but did not expect them to win yesterday. 8 or 9 may now be within reach but time will tell. If they have 3 or 4 upsets along the way maybe this will be a surprising season. Rhoades was definitely the right hire, if you think back to the first years under Chambers or DeChellis, this team is light years ahead of those. However, the VCU and Bucknell losses were a low point. they shouldn't have lost either of those and it may come back to haunt them

Reactions: dswartz
The second half last night was outstanding, especially with puff being useless all game. But I’m not gonna go overboard off of 15 minutes of basketball. This team probably wins five or six games in the league as of right now.

We’re not very good in pick and roll help defense and help defense overall. we’ve been caught in no man’s land quite a few times and are not able to stop the penetration or the kick out. Plus Q is doing OK inside but he’s not as relentless on the boards like Harrar was so until other guys step up to help on the defensive glass they will continue to struggle.

They definitely can win their next three games though Georgia Tech has played up and down like us, they beat Duke, but lost to UMass Lowell. I don’t really see them winning more than three games in January though they could start to gel and if O’Boyle and Dunn play like yesterday, maybe they can get an upset here or there.
From what I have seen in the couple of games I've been able to watch Puff plays more like a puff than the type of hard nosed players that will form the nucleus of coach Rhoade's teams going forward. Puff needs to up the intensity or he may find himself on the bench for most of this season.

Reactions: bison13 and bdgan
From what I have seen in the couple of games I've been able to watch Puff plays more like a puff than the type of hard nosed players that will form the nucleus of coach Rhoade's teams going forward. Puff needs to up the intensity or he may find himself on the bench for most of this season.
I'd add Hicks, Kern, Dunn, and O'Boyle to the list of players who aren't physical or aggressive enough to excel at this level.

Reactions: bison13
I'd add Hicks, Kern, Dunn, and O'Boyle to the list of players who aren't physical or aggressive enough to excel at this level.
O'Boyle is on the floor to shoot 3's which he did pretty well yesterday as PSU dug back from 18? points down. Interesting that they had him guarding an OSU big guy when he isn't too physical but he has to guard someone.....

O'Boyle is on the floor to shoot 3's which he did pretty well yesterday as PSU dug back from 18? points down. Interesting that they had him guarding an OSU big guy when he isn't too physical but he has to guard someone.....
Compare I'Boyle or Hicks to Dread. All three were essentially 3 pt shooters but Dread was more physical and better defensively.

Hicks doesn’t seem to add much to the team. Kern and Dunn add some defense and hustle…O’Boyle added nothing until yesterday’s game, but Hicks just seems to take up space.

Compare I'Boyle or Hicks to Dread. All three were essentially 3 pt shooters but Dread was more physical and better defensively.
But Dread isn't on the team. Rhoades has to use the players he was able to assemble.

But Dread isn't on the team. Rhoades has to use the players he was able to assemble.
Of course. I'm just pointing out that comparable players on last year's team were more physical even if they weren't much better shooters.

Coach Shrew is also struggling. Both are good coaches and just need a little bit of time.
True, but Njie, Booth, and baby Shrews are very young and all getting significant PT. PSU players are mostly juniors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT