ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

What’s to stop a hot shot player that is getting a half million or more from telling the coach he will forgo his scholarship so the team can get extra players?

Could see a wealthy team like A$M having an extra dozen or so top players
Why would he do that? I think they have to be full time students and out of state tuition, room & board, etc is quite expensive.

Why would he do that? I think they have to be full time students and out of state tuition, room & board, etc is quite expensive.
If he is making a half mill or more he can afford it. It will make the team better to have additional scholarship players.

That will him make look better. A better o line to make the QB or back look better. Or a top receiver helps the QB. Better edge rusher helps a d back look better. Or maybe just to get his high school team mate a scholly.

And some of these kids come from well off families. Especially sons of past NFL stars.

Not saying it will be widespread but if it is not against the rules some kid/team will do it.

What’s to stop a hot shot player that is getting a half million or more from telling the coach he will forgo his scholarship so the team can get extra players?

Could see a wealthy team like A$M having an extra dozen or so top players
I thought the NCAA squashed this when BYU tried it?

Haven't seen it mentioned by the crew here, but on3 youtube show seems to think that the "NIL will cover scholarship money" idea is what's going to happen and that we don't necessarily have to cut guys to get to 85. They more or less expect guys to leave like Storm Duck did last year (a guy who didn't get the spot on the depth chart he expected) vs shedding young, unproductive players.
Just what fans want to see their money used for... paying players not to play, a defacto severance payment. I'm sure there's tremendous incentive for fans to open their wallets for that. :rolleyes:

Just what fans want to see their money used for... paying players not to play, a defacto severance payment. I'm sure there's tremendous incentive for fans to open their wallets for that. :rolleyes:

Everyone wants to go 6 deep at every position with *quality* depth year in, year out.

We've been in the Reload Era V 1.0. Now this is Ultra Reload V1.x. Gone are the days of rebuilding. That will get you fired. Thank goodness the buyouts are so generous.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/report-fsu-wide-receiver-enters-transfer-portal/

Former very highly rated WR out of HS. Redshirted, 3 rec 60 yds, 1 TD. No instant production but probably has the tools with growth.

They recruited 6 players over him. 4 hs seniors, 2 portal guys. We done have one similar FSU WR. Unless we really like him and run off a bunch, he doesn't seem likely to come here (unless he's a regional kid and I could have missed that).

They recruited 6 players over him. 4 hs seniors, 2 portal guys. We done have one similar FSU WR. Unless we really like him and run off a bunch, he doesn't seem likely to come here (unless he's a regional kid and I could have missed that).
I know they aren't likely. I'm just throwing reasonable WR portal options out there. If they were ideal, they wouldn't likely be in the portal. It is still a likely position of need for us and if the staff finds the right fit, they may add 1 or 2 even as we part with others.

Reactions: lazydave841
I know they aren't likely.... If they were ideal, they wouldn't likely be in the portal. It is still a likely position of need for us and if the staff finds the right fit, they may add 1 or 2 even as we part with others.

I don't think "ideal fit" means the same to those of us posting here as it does to the staff. Most here think we gotta bring in an absolute stud with excellent production or its a fail.

This guy is from Florida. I don't think we offered out of HS. Essentially zero production (but that was a great FSU WR room, so zero shame in that).

I'm just returning conversation that he seems like a 0.001% of ending up here type of portal recruit unless an offer exists that hasn't been reported yet. He's very similar to our 2nd/3rd year guys who haven't sniffed the field.

I don't think "ideal fit" means the same to those of us posting here as it does to the staff. Most here think we gotta bring in an absolute stud with excellent production or its a fail.

This guy is from Florida. I don't think we offered out of HS. Essentially zero production (but that was a great FSU WR room, so zero shame in that).

I'm just returning conversation that he seems like a 0.001% of ending up here type of portal recruit unless an offer exists that hasn't been reported yet. He's very similar to our 2nd/3rd year guys who haven't sniffed the field.
Agreed. I would add though that his only 3 rec for 60 and 1 TD are with freshman eligibility in that great WR room.

Reactions: lazydave841
It is hard to imagine a player like this can get a proper education. Having said that, I've always been on record as saying that 80% of the useful education I got in college was not in the classroom.
Leadership and management require people skills more than technical expertise. You can teach what your team does rather quickly. It takes much more time to develop people skills. Playing team sports is an excellent place to learn people skills.
Things to look for in an interview; do they listen is the biggest deal breaker, do they make eye contact,. Some people never learn people skills.

The sport(or is it more a business) at it's higher levels:

QB Jaden Rashada joining Georgia after leaving Arizona State​

Quarterback Jaden Rashada is committing to play for Georgia after spending one season at Arizona State, according to his agent, Henry Organ of Disruptive Sports.

Rashada will join the Bulldogs after appearing in three games for the Sun Devils last season, passing for 485 yards with four touchdowns and three interceptions.

ESPN's No. 31 overall recruit in the 2023 class initially signed with Florida but was released from his national letter of intent after a $13 million name, image and likeness agreement fell through with the school's Gator Collective. The Pittsburg, California, native eventually signed with Arizona State, where his father, Harlen, played defensive back from 1992 to 1994.

You don't know if he is academically oriented or not. He wants to play football and after college still has a shot at the NFL or could go the Canadian league or the USFL. Just because he is transferring again does not mean he totally disregards academics. He is trying to get a degree but also maximize or optimize his football future.
Another possibility is that he just loves playing the game and has decided that Pitt will give him very limited opportunities to play. He might well be thinking that he has two more seasons to do something he loves, and after that it's over. Enduring the hassle of transferring credits may be worth it for a better chance to see the field than spend the last two years of his football playing life watching. None of that reflects on his outlook toward academics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT