ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth.... Hearing there has been definite interest and discussion between Max Dean and Penn State. Also, that Gabe Dean is retiring.

Definitely smoke to Real Woods to Oklahoma State instead of Michigan especially now that he has his Stanford degree.

Verk could be the face of Citadel Wrestling to be honest. Wrestling SoCon competition could allow him to get a better seed and favorable draw at NCAAs. That has to be appealing because tbh, he isn't transferring to a school that has trophy aspirations. You have to remember, not every program operates under the same standards. Sending NQs to NCAAs is special for a lot of programs. Want to know how many Citadel had last year? 1 and he went 0-2.

They have 4 AA's in team history, could you imagine if Verk can be the 5th? He has 2 years of eligibility left. Say what you want about his style but Verk hasn't had a chance to wrestle NCAAs yet even. He might just be a damn good tournament wrestler (he won Cadet worlds for a reason)
Good case-making = Good Internetting, thank you!

For what it’s worth, Jefe, Alex was interviewed by MLive earlier this week and he said he’d be headed to Penn State in June. The guy headed to the OTC is probably the secret blue chipper none of know about (I too recall the Cael interview) 😄

Good citationing = Good Internetting, thank you!

Reactions: Brian LB-U
He would be a great backup and practice partner. I don't see how he could win a starting spot unless he can cut to 157.
I could see him challenge Beard for a starting spot at 197, but I think Max is short for 197.

This place is getting like the tHR will all these rumors.

Do some of you guys work for corp media

#anonymoussourcesareoverdone
#thetruthisoutthere
#questioneverything

Who wouldn't trade a Cornell degree for one from Penn State? :-0

Your Ivies/Cornellian takes have been extremely well-put, but they're really misapplied here.

It's been well-sourced that Max Dean is seeking a non-Ivy program b/c he feels he can't trust that his competition opportunities at Nationals will be guaranteed / not taken away from him, like they were this past year. Add to that the now widely-understood lack of Grad Student Athlete competition availability

An academic superiority play here is a big miss.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Your Ivies/Cornellian takes have been extremely well-put, but they're really misapplied here.

It's been well-sourced that Max Dean is seeking a non-Ivy program b/c he feels he can't trust that his competition opportunities at Nationals will be guaranteed / not taken away from him, like they were this past year. Add to that the now widely-understood lack of Grad Student Athlete competition availability

The Cornell vs. PSU Academics take is especially misapplied here, with Dean supposedly leaning toward Michigan State -- which is not as strong academically as Penn State.

Reactions: Dogwelder

Lighten up, fellas. I understand why Max is leaving Cornell, at least as far as Rob Koll has said. It would appear Max went to Cornell for the wrestling program primarily, so whatever his diploma has in funny letters would seem to be less important.

I don't deliberately diss other schools or programs. Well, maybe Princeton...

The Cornell vs. PSU Academics take is especially misapplied here, with Dean supposedly leaning toward Michigan State -- which is not as strong academically as Penn State.
I've seen nothing on this other than what Rob Koll has said and a cryptic content-free tweet from Gabe Dean. What's your source for Max leaning towards the Spartans? Did he confuse them with Spartan Combat?

I've seen nothing on this other than what Rob Koll has said and a cryptic content-free tweet from Gabe Dean. What's your source for Max leaning towards the Spartans? Did he confuse them with Spartan Combat?
Willie's podcast yesterday.

My mind would be blown if Max Dean is considering Penn State. I don't think he could beat Michael or Aaron but it's possible him at 184 and AB at 197 next year (if we start that process early) could be more points than Aaron and Michael.

197 is very volatile, I can see a scenario where Michael places Top 3 next year or get bounced R16. I'd feel better about Aaron (if he adds the right weight) because well ... he's just a lot more consistent than Michael.

That being said, once again, I'd be shocked if he was considering us.

My mind would be blown if Max Dean is considering Penn State. I don't think he could beat Michael or Aaron but it's possible him at 184 and AB at 197 next year (if we start that process early) could be more points than Aaron and Michael.

197 is very volatile, I can see a scenario where Michael places Top 3 next year or get bounced R16. I'd feel better about Aaron (if he adds the right weight) because well ... he's just a lot more consistent than Michael.

That being said, once again, I'd be shocked if he was considering us.
Beard's gas tank improved dramatically this past season. I would expect it to become larger this season. The bigger Beard's tank gets, the better his positioning and attacks will become.
Beard will be just fine.

Beard's gas tank improved dramatically this past season. I would expect it to become larger this season. The bigger Beard's tank gets, the better his positioning and attacks will become.
Beard will be just fine.
Agreed ... man I feel if he had beaten Amine at Big Tens .... his season finishes way differently. Get over the mental hump of beating a truly elite guy. He looked virtually immobile Day 2 of Big Tens. As shown (and as we knew), his top game is insane. He always seems to be able to crank at least 4 nearfall points the first period if he gets the first takedown.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Don't be too proud of the Ivy League terror. The ability of a Cornell degree is insignificant next to the power of Cael Sanderson memories and a team NCAA title and a better chance at an individual NCAA title. :)

6a00d8341c51c053ef01310f84cd3e970c-pi

I am very glad I'm not responsible for "the plan." However. If Dean comes here, I gotta say huh? I guess AB has a redshirt he can use. Would Dean qualify for one? Would either wrestler want one?

It's possible Cael thinks Dean at 184 and AB at 197 gets more points than AB at 184 and Beard at 197. I'd guess that is the most likely plan also.

It's possible Cael thinks Dean at 184 and AB at 197 gets more points than AB at 184 and Beard at 197. I'd guess that is the most likely plan also.
I'm not sure this has to be "a plan." One of the top wrestlers in the country is interested in coming to PSU - you host him, it's that simple. You don't say "no, we're not interested." It may work out smoothly, lineup-wise. If not, everyone who signs on here knows the deal. There are great wrestlers coming in every year so odds are you may have to beat one to win a spot.

As far as money - as it has been discussed and demonstrated with examples, over and over and over, no one really has a clue to the impact on the 9.9. There are NCAA legal ways that athletes can receive aid that doesn't go against the 9.9 and there are also plenty of wrestlers families' willing to foot the bill to give their kid a chance to compete at the top program in the country.

Maybe Cael borrowed the 3” binder from John Smith and Dean will go down and wrestle off with Joe Lee for 165 with the loser going to 157

Reactions: nitlion6
I'm not sure this has to be "a plan." One of the top wrestlers in the country is interested in coming to PSU - you host him,
Good point worth emphasizing. Given all the unknown variables, the parties can't actually know whether there's a fit until they meet and talk. The parties might even have preconceived assumptions about what will and won't work, just as fans online do, but for an ex NCAA finalist who might improve your team, you'd probably want to meet them, even if you assumed going in that it probably wouldn't work. Most of the real world sales meetings people take they take despite strongly assuming that it won't amount to anything.

In all seriousness, I don't get this at all unless Brooks can't make 184. I haven't been impressed with Dean at all the last 2 years. I think he's a mid to low AA at 184 and a fringe AA at 197, and frankly wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't beat Beard who was coming on late.

He had a miracle win against MM, but people seem to forget he had to get completely bailed out by the officials against....Cash Wilcke 2 rounds earlier.

The biggest benefit to landing him for PSU would be keeping him away from Michigan. I don't think he scores more than a couple more points than Beard if any at all. And I think Beard's long term upside is much better.

In all seriousness, I don't get this at all unless Brooks can't make 184. I haven't been impressed with Dean at all the last 2 years. I think he's a mid to low AA at 184 and a fringe AA at 197, and frankly wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't beat Beard who was coming on late.

He had a miracle win against MM, but people seem to forget he had to get completely bailed out by the officials against....Cash Wilcke 2 rounds earlier.

The biggest benefit to landing him for PSU would be keeping him away from Michigan. I don't think he scores more than a couple more points than Beard if any at all. And I think Beard's long term upside is much better.
You good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT