ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Th
I've referred to @smalls103 initial projections a few times and made a few key adjustments. He had Penn State up 131 to 114 on placement BUT the following considerations change things:

1. Kemerer IS coming back, that's +10.5 points. He had Kennedy at 8th (5.5) and Kemerer would be 2nd I imagine.
2. Berge and Dellavecchia are done. We lost all our 157 points and Young gets 3.5 more (moving from 8th to 6th) We lose 4.5. That's 8 points.

Those 2 things alone swing Iowa as the favorite again (128 to 126.5)

Now after that? There are probably 100 things both sides disagree with and 100 other things that can be adjusted. For example, we had all 4 champs start as #1, SVN as 5th, that's pretty rosy. But on the flip side, can Max Dean (Beard right now) get better than 8th? He's MUCH better at folk than free (example, he beat Bonaccorsi 6-0 in 2019 before beating MyMar) Can Kerkvliet jump Parris/Cass? Iowa has Bull at 5th (I don't think that's unfair at this point tbh) but I bet they disagree with that. Can they get a podium finish out of Murin/Assad?

Keep in mind, Iowa DID outbonus us last year (27 to 17). All that considered, without Suriano, Iowa is the favorite over us. We'd need to overachieve quite a bit.

Stuff happens at the tournament bottom line. I love the was @js8793 described Joe Lee the more I think about it. He can be a huge asset in the tournament if he's healthy. But very much he's boom or bust, bad weekend and he 0-2s .. good weekend and can he pull some kind of Pat McKee run?
That’s all rounding error relative to the virtual certainty that at least one of the Iowa/PSU starters won’t be healthy enough to score in March. Too hard to get 20 guys through unscathed, as dark as that sounds.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I can picture WTT for ‘24. OUR VERY OWN Thomas Gilman v OUR VERY OWN Nick Suriano 57kg final.

Reactions: Sullivan
Th

That’s all rounding error relative to the virtual certainty that at least one of the Iowa/PSU starters won’t be healthy enough to score in March. Too hard to get 20 guys through unscathed, as dark as that sounds.
Yup ... it's part of the sport. But for the purpose of "projections", I always start with Willie's initial projections because projecting a tournament is A LOT of work lol. That's a good starting base. WrestleStat is fantastic for results compilation (and I really appreciate their guys building that out and also developing the algorithm) but the algorithm has us finishing like 6th right now or something.

We need Suriano to return for you to consider us a worthy weekly adversary? Come on, let's do it anyways 😜

Come on now, you know that's not what I was going for. Sans Suriano, PSU has the firepower to win it.

My head is telling me that I'm being silly as I've witnessed enough examples of unexpected results in wrestling. But I just can't stop my gut from telling me that the Hawks are going to have a very, very special year and no one is stopping them(Suriano or not).

Of course this could very well become a post that "the board remembers"....

Oh well, I'll risk it.

… But I just can't stop my gut from telling me that the Hawks are going to have a very, very special year and no one is stopping them(Suriano or not) …
This is good. This will enhance the agony of your defeat, which will enhance the thrill of our victory. 👍

cr9ipBN.gif

Come on now, you know that's not what I was going for. Sans Suriano, PSU has the firepower to win it.

My head is telling me that I'm being silly as I've witnessed enough examples of unexpected results in wrestling. But I just can't stop my gut from telling me that the Hawks are going to have a very, very special year and no one is stopping them(Suriano or not).

Oh well, I'll risk it.
Homerism is a fun part of being a fan of our sports teams, especially when it's justified! You should believe in the Iowa team, you guys have a damn good team. Even with Suriano (which I'd like to remind everyone is FAR FAR from a done deal) it's not a lock. We still have a few more unknowns than you guys. Imagine saying that, Cael in theory could have a team of what he will and it's not a lock.

Sure the board might do the "we remember" approach later but it'll all be in good fun (minus a few), you've earned that kind of respect. I obviously don't want to speak for everyone per se but I think most would agree that we really enjoy your contributions here, I have never seen you take shots at our wrestlers, coaches or whatever.

W
I hear you but that's not necessarily enough if Lee wins 125 anyway.

PSU lost last year by 15.5 pts.
2018 finalist Suriano outscored 2021 Howard by 19.0 pts.

So far so good -- but if we give those 4 pts back to Iowa (by Fix dropping) then it's not enough, still need more points from somewhere.

Bartlett and Kerk will score more -- especially if Steveson is done.

Otherwise we would absolutely need all of our champs to repeat. And they're all capable. But stuff happens at the NCAA Tournament.

Micic returning would help. DeSanto is not beating him.
Wonder if any truth to Sebass dropping back down to 133

Oh well, I'll risk it.
I see it very differently and think a very big bubble is going to pop this year for Hawk fans. Some quick reasons... 1. You have 25th year Seniors on the team looking forward to collegiate wrestling to be over with so they can move on with their lives. 2. They got their title, a bit of that edge will be missing and repeating is tough to begin with. 3. Stronger field this year imo and can see where there are young guys that will catch and pass up those seniors that in my opinion topped out.

Dont get me wrong, at this point ya still gotta consider them the favorites but as far as championship teams would be concerned, I doubt they would be considered anymore special than most. In fact, if I were making book, I'd set the over/under for Hawk individual champions at 1.5. And thinking that one over, I'd take the under.

Quote Reply

I see it very differently and think a very big bubble is going to pop this year for Hawk fans. Some quick reasons... 1. You have 25th year Seniors on the team looking forward to collegiate wrestling to be over with so they can move on with their lives. 2. They got their title, a bit of that edge will be missing and repeating is tough to begin with. 3. Stronger field this year imo and can see where there are young guys that will catch and pass up those seniors that in my opinion topped out.

Dont get me wrong, at this point ya still gotta consider them the favorites but as far as championship teams would be concerned, I doubt they would be considered anymore special than most. In fact, if I were making book, I'd set the over/under for Hawk individual champions at 1.5. And thinking that one over, I'd take the under.

Quote Reply
If all of the 25th year seniors were so eager to be done with college wrestling, why do you think they came back at all?

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
If all of the 25th year seniors were so eager to be done with college wrestling, why do you think they came back at all?
Yeah - don't think it's wise to predict burnouts. It happens but we shouldn't say it'll definitely happen to any particular team. Iowa could flip it and say if anything, their guys can feel they underachieved last tournament especially in terms of individual champions. They want to go out with a bang (aka a convincing win) in front of a lot of Iowa fans there.

Quote Reply
Since all but one Iowa Wrestler won an individual National Championship last year, I do not agree that the edge will be missing from the Iowa wrestlers. However, I do agree with your third point that the general improvement of the younger wrestlers in each weight class will be greater than the improvement of the older Iowa wrestlers. Consistent with the foregoing, I think Starocci will beat Kemerer every time they wrestle this upcoming year.

Last edited:
Answer:Tom Brands and Terry Brands.

Last year on HR I said theyd have 1 maybe 2 champs and 7-8 AAs. This year I'll more than likely say the same except 0-1 champs.

Yeah - don't think it's wise to predict burnouts. It happens but we shouldn't say it'll definitely happen to any particular team. Iowa could flip it and say if anything, their guys can feel they underachieved last tournament especially in terms of individual champions. They want to go out with a bang (aka a convincing win) in front of a lot of Iowa fans there.
We shall see. I may imply some burnout will happen but I think with Spencer, Kem and Marinelli just going into Nationals healthy will be a huge challenge.

Reactions: nitlion6
Answer:Tom Brands and Terry Brands.

Last year on HR I said theyd have 1 maybe 2 champs and 7-8 AAs. This year I'll more than likely say the same except 0-1 champs.

I mean...I agree. Wanting to wrestle for and be coached by Tom and Terry Brands is at least part of why they're continuing to wrestle.

But that doesn't really explain why they would continue to wrestle if they were so eager to be done with wrestling.

I mean...I agree. Wanting to wrestle for and be coached by Tom and Terry Brands is at least part of why they're continuing to wrestle.

But that doesn't really explain why they would continue to wrestle if they were so eager to be done with wrestling.
Coaches and teammates can be persuasive. Look I'm not gonna convince you to my way of thinking but 7 years in a college room is just crazy to me. The discipline, mental stress and physical toll must be incredible. Eventually you reach a point where you begin to decline and I think it has happened. I actually saw hints of it last March . Kem and Marinelli looked beat to me at the end of the year. If I'm Brands I'd consider pitch counting the f*** out of Spencer, Kem and Marinelli this year no matter how much the fans bitched about it. I havent kept up with the HWC much the past two years but have any of them participated much in freestyle? If not, my guess would be that the Brands brothers may have anticipated them getting tired of the grind or even the wrestlers themselves wanting to get away from the sport a little.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Coaches and teammates can be persuasive. Look I'm not gonna convince you to my way of thinking but 7 years in a college room is just crazy to me. The discipline, mental stress and physical toll must be incredible. Eventually you reach a point where you begin to decline and I think it has happened. I actually saw hints of it last March . Kem and Marinelli looked beat to me at the end of the year. If I'm Brands I'd consider pitch counting the f*** out of Spencer, Kem and Marinelli this year no matter how much the fans bitched about it. I havent kept up with the HWC much the past two years but have any of them participated much in freestyle? If not, my guess would be that the Brands brothers may have anticipated them getting tired of the grind or even the wrestlers themselves wanting to get away from the sport a little.
This is just an extended "Brands Bros make you hate wrestling" explanation. I've never bought into that.

Lots of guys on lots of teams stay in college wrestling rooms/RTC rooms (which I'm under the impression are basically one in the same) for 7+ years. And lots of guys on lots of teams look beat at the end of a college wrestling season. College wrestling is hard. Guys don't usually look fresh and chipper at the end of a season.

To be fair, your perception of the attitudes of Iowa wrestlers and coaches is, shall we say, less than objective. That's kind of your whole thing on BWI/HR.

This is just an extended "Brands Bros make you hate wrestling" explanation. I've never bought into that.

Lots of guys on lots of teams stay in college wrestling rooms/RTC rooms (which I'm under the impression are basically one in the same) for 7+ years. And lots of guys on lots of teams look beat at the end of a college wrestling season. College wrestling is hard. Guys don't usually look fresh and chipper at the end of a season.

To be fair, your perception of the attitudes of Iowa wrestlers and coaches is, shall we say, less than objective. That's kind of your whole thing on BWI/HR.
Then we can agree to disagree. I for one believe the type of room a coach decides to run certainly impacts an athletes performance especially at the end of a long season and at crunch time. I for one think theres a reason some teams or programs seem to show up at Nationals and outperform expectations while others never seem to be able to do that.

When you hear Brands talk about getting a certain type of athlete what do you think he means by that? Or recruiting guys who are the right fit for his program? I have an idea but curious what you think he means.

Also, do you think an athlete would burn out quicker at a program that asks its wrestlers to eat sleep and breath the sport or one that stresses balance or even one that makes sure wrestling isnt your number 1 priority in life.

If ya ask me, the one single thing Iowa fans laugh at most when it comes to Cael and PSU is actually PSUs most obvious secret sauce to their success. Its having FUN. That and instilling in his wrestlers that its just a sport and there's a hell of a lot more important things in life.

It's especially strange because this particular Iowa team is one of the most visibly fun-having and bought in teams in the country while watching their teammates wrestle. I guess I can't really complain, but so many people project the stereotypes of a past generation of Iowa wrestlers onto this team when it doesn't fit at all. They're a bunch of goofballs/nerds.

Doesn't seem like a burnout rich environment and I know for a fact that the Brands bros don't run the same "grind it out" type of training regimen that everybody was running back in the day. Times have changed in the last 10 years. They've spoken about this in interviews. Hell, they get criticized for keeping guys who have injury histories like Spencer and Kem out of duals all the time. Critics can't have it both ways.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Que, the peaches an herb song "reunited" because I think Nicky coming back to happy valley in January, and that feel so good baby.

It looks like Nick Bowers has made the Raiders final 53 man roster. Did not see any "experts" predicting that. Good for him. It also looks like all Penn State's 7th round picks made their rosters too......unless I missed one. FA Lamont Wade did get cut earlier by the Steelers. Not certain they plan on adding him to the practice squad. Former PSU wrestler Jan Johnson did get cut by the Titans...hoping for a practice squad call.
Update: Michael Menet was a late cut by the Arizona Cardinals. Will Fries did make the final 53 for the Colts

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup and Grass
Then we can agree to disagree. I for one believe the type of room a coach decides to run certainly impacts an athletes performance especially at the end of a long season and at crunch time. I for one think theres a reason some teams or programs seem to show up at Nationals and outperform expectations while others never seem to be able to do that.

When you hear Brands talk about getting a certain type of athlete what do you think he means by that? Or recruiting guys who are the right fit for his program? I have an idea but curious what you think he means.

Also, do you think an athlete would burn out quicker at a program that asks its wrestlers to eat sleep and breath the sport or one that stresses balance or even one that makes sure wrestling isnt your number 1 priority in life.

If ya ask me, the one single thing Iowa fans laugh at most when it comes to Cael and PSU is actually PSUs most obvious secret sauce to their success. Its having FUN. That and instilling in his wrestlers that its just a sport and there's a hell of a lot more important things in life.
remember the one Jordan brother said he wouldnt go to PSU because they were serious enough!!hell he would have been riding the bench anyways

Reactions: johnstownsteel
It looks like Nick Bowers has made the Raiders final 53 man roster. Did not see any "experts" predicting that. Good for him. It also looks like all Penn State's 7th round picks made their rosters too......unless I missed one. FA Lamont Wade did get cut earlier by the Steelers. Not certain they plan on adding him to the practice squad.
Update: Michael Menet was a late cut by the Arizona Cardinals. Will Fries did make the final 53 for the Colts

Were these guys all on the wrestling team?

This is bordering on cultish at this point lol. "Having fun" isn't a new concept. People have been having fun on wrestling teams since it started. It's kind of the whole point.

People laughing at the PSU "fun" thing wasn't over the idea that PSU has fun, it was that they mentioned having fun multiple times every single time they were in front of a microphone. Every single PSU interview sounded exactly the same over and over again. It was like an entire team only speaking coach speak (ftr I think many of them were in on the joke). Nobody was mad that PSU wrestlers were having fun lol.

Obviously, it's a waste of time trying to convince you because you're probably the most rabid anti-Iowa fan I've ever seen on the forums, but what do you think Brands means when he looks for a certain type of athlete? Any thoughts as to why Cael (and basically every college sports coach ever) says that too? What about the fact that Iowa and PSU are constantly fighting over the same recruits? Seems like Cael and Brands like the same type of recruit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT