ADVERTISEMENT

Top recruit in PA, local kid, son of famous Steeler verbals to Penn State

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
....and zero mention on local KDKA Sports newscasts! Imagine if he would have signed with Pitt?! They would have had a 30 minute special!

I guess Pompeani and company figure if they ignore the facts, that will negate them?

Sorry Pitters, the late 1970s ain’t ever coming back!

Now you have gone and done it - get ready for the legion of “if Pitts not our rival why are you still starting another thread about them idiots” they just lurk and wait for a chance to tell us about our obsession with Pitt and ignore their obsession with people who have an obsession with Pitt. It’s as predictable as the sun coming up,

Pitt is like that annoying kid you knew in high school, the obnoxious one with the mis-shapen head, lazy eye, dirty jeans and sneakers, rocked back and forth a lot, runny nose and a runny mouth - talked tough - brags all the time about all the parties he goes to and the girls from other schools he nails but you knew he was making it all up... that kid got all up in our face and we just gave him a swirly in front of a national television audience - then stuffed him in his locker.

It’s fun to reflect on that

#atomicwedgie

Now you have gone and done it - get ready for the legion of “if Pitts not our rival why are you still starting another thread about them idiots” they just lurk and wait for a chance to tell us about our obsession with Pitt and ignore their obsession with people who have an obsession with Pitt. It’s as predictable as the sun coming up,

Yea, the loser turd-burglars who think they're so clever that everyone believes they're really "PSU fans" despite it being quite transparent that they're posing troll losers...lmfao

....and zero mention on local KDKA Sports newscasts! Imagine if he would have signed with Pitt?! They would have had a 30 minute special!

I guess Pompeani and company figure if they ignore the facts, that will negate them?

I was in my car much of the day and heard it mentioned many times, including on KDKA's FM sports station, 93.7 The Fan. A story (see link) about it appears on their web site. This station broadcasts Pitt football and basketball.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/north-allegheny-senior-joey-porter-jr-commits-penn-state

Last edited:
Reactions: artsandletters
Pitt is like that annoying kid you knew in high school, the obnoxious one with the mis-shapen head, lazy eye, dirty jeans and sneakers, rocked back and forth a lot, runny nose and a runny mouth - talked tough - brags all the time about all the parties he goes to and the girls from other schools he nails but you knew he was making it all up... that kid got all up in our face and we just gave him a swirly in front of a national television audience - then stuffed him in his locker.

#atomicwedgie
Bully*

Glad to hear that the radio casts made mention, but nothing this morning in the Pgh Trib Review East suburb edition on Porter's verbal to PSU. They did have their usual two columns on Pit however with lots of rainbows and unicorns.

This is very true.

#atomicwedgie

You forgot... after you do all that, he talks non-stop about how much you care about him. Because why would you do that stuff unless it was a rivalry?

I was in my car much of the day and heard it mentioned many times, including on KDKA's FM sports station, 93.7 The Fan. A story (see link) about it appears on their web site. This station broadcasts Pitt football and basketball.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/north-allegheny-senior-joey-porter-jr-commits-penn-state
Good to hear. But sad statement that no mention on TV and shows bias (no shock there!) and is unfortunate for young Porter. Ah well, soon Pitt football will be completely in the oblivion and perhaps they will have no choice?

You mean PSU posters’ obsession with an irrelevant football program? I think it’s safe to say that a poster will make a Pitt reference in at least half the threads regardless of pertinence.

I guess you had to be there.

Reactions: fairgambit

Yup. Of course, the commitment further proves they aren't our rival. We still can have fun with it.

The kid was on a visit to pitt on Saturday night, saw pitt get routed by Penn State, and three days later, committed to Penn State. Top-ranked recruit in PA, son of a former Steeler, from the Pittsburgh area, and he commits to Penn State days after the pitt beatdown.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Only 6 short years ago, Pitt fans where riding high from the Sandusky scandal. Endless talk how everybody associated with Penn State was an evil cultist pedophile enabler. Celebrating child molestation in the name of Pitt football. "Penn State football is dead, Pitt is back on the rise. We are going bring in top recruits from all over the east coast now." I never gave a thought to Pitt before Sandusky so I can understand the hatred towards that program, and most of all the fans.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that the radio casts made mention, but nothing this morning in the Pgh Trib Review East suburb edition on Porter's verbal to PSU. They did have their usual two columns on Pit however with lots of rainbows and unicorns.

And yet there is an article about it on the Trib website. I've heard, and seen, this mentioned numerous times in Pittsburgh over the past 24 hours. I'm not sure what more you can expect. No offense to the OP, but this again goes back to the Penn State arrogance issue I raised last week. We get, what I consider, fair mention on a local recruit, and it's still not enough. Many of our fans think we deserve more.

https://triblive.com/sports/college...na-cornerback-joey-porter-jr-picks-penn-state

The Post-Gazette has a very nice article at their site as well.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Jr-commits-to-Penn-State/stories/201809110068

Last edited:
Only 6 short years ago, Pitt fans where riding high from the Sandusky scandal. Endless talk how everybody associated with Penn State was an evil cultist pedophile enabler. Celebrating child molestation in the name of Pitt football. "Penn State football is dead, Pitt is back on the rise. We are going bring in top recruits from all over the east coast now." I never gave a thought to Pitt before Sandusky so I can understand the hatred towards that program, and most of all the fans.
They still talk about PSU that way. But I think a fair amount of them realize that unless wholesale changes are made in the program, they will always be PSUs little bitch. And the current administration there isn't getting it done.

Reactions: Ski
I know I will get roasted for this, but I don't know who is dad is - and yes, I could do a google search, but it wouldn't be as much fun as reading all the posts from Steelers fans who will provide me with every bit of information about him right down to his shoe size and favorite flavor of ice cream.

So....who is his "famous" father?

And yet there is an article about it on the Trib website. I've heard, and seen, this mentioned numerous times in Pittsburgh over the past 24 hours. I'm not sure what more you can expect. No offense to the OP, but this again goes back to the Penn State arrogance issue I raised last week. We get, what I consider, fair mention on a local recruit, and it's still not enough. Many of our fans think we deserve more.

https://triblive.com/sports/college...na-cornerback-joey-porter-jr-picks-penn-state

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Jr-commits-to-Penn-State/stories/201809110068

Interesting that the Trib article refers to him as the 9th ranked player in PA and a 3 star while almost everything I read yesterday listed him as the #1 player in PA and a 4 star. Wonder why that is?

Interesting that the Trib article refers to him as the 9th ranked player in PA and a 3 star while almost everything I read yesterday listed him as the #1 player in PA and a 4 star. Wonder why that is?

That is how he is ranked by Rivals, which is, of course, the site we are on.

That is how he is ranked by Rivals, which is, of course, the site we are on.

But Trib Live isn't a Rivals site. There's obviously sources that list him much higher that they could have used yet they chose to go with the one that downgraded him. Maybe intentionally, maybe not. But it's at least worth pointing out.

But Trib Live isn't a Rivals site. There's obviously sources that list him much higher that they could have used yet they chose to go with the one that downgraded him. Maybe intentionally, maybe not. But it's at least worth pointing out.

Downgraded him? Really? I am sure Tom and the Rivals folks are happy they got the only mention over any other source.
That aside, most people I know in the PIttsburgh area, including Pitt fans, follow Rivals because they post, or lurk, at this site and the Lair (both Rivals boards). Madsol, I enjoy your posts, but like so many other Penn State fans, you not only expect maximum coverage over a local recruit choosing Penn State, but expect that coverage to use the highest rated sources to describe him. I think that's asking a bit much. If not, perhaps your issue should be with Rivals and not the Trib.

Downgraded him? Really? I am sure Tom and the Rivals folks are happy they got the only mention over any other source.
That aside, most people I know in the PIttsburgh area, including Pitt fans, follow Rivals because they post, or lurk, at this site and the Lair (both Rivals boards). Madsol, I enjoy your posts, but like so many other Penn State fans, you not only expect maximum coverage over a local recruit choosing Penn State, but expect that coverage to use the highest rated sources to describe him. I think that's asking a bit much. If not, perhaps your issue should be with Rivals and not the Trib.

According to a composite ranking, he's a 4 star and the #1 ranked player in the state. I'm not making that up. Heck, forget about me and other Penn State fans, why in the world wouldn't the Trib want to give the benefit of the doubt to the high school kid? Why does it seem like they would go out of their way to refer to him with a lower ranking when there is ample evidence to support a reference to a higher ranking? To take a shot at the kid? Or to take a shot a Penn State fans? Or both? Who knows. If it's arrogant of me to think that a local newspaper would "spin" a story about a high school kid for the benefit of the high school kid, then so be it. IMHO the fact that they didn't lends some support to the idea that they're more interested in taking a shot at Penn State.

Reactions: bison13 and mcgunns
"Penn State football is dead, Pitt is back on the rise. We are going bring in top recruits from all over the east coast now."

They grabbed several players that either flipped from PSU to Pitt, or committed to Pitt over PSU because of the sanctions (someone else can provide that list). Their recent run of just above mediocrity can be directly linked to that group of kids. They should have used that opportunity to spend more money, hire great coaches and try to get to that next level. Instead they squandered it. That run is over now and they are falling back where they really belong.

Reactions: Ski
So....who is his "famous" father?

Careful you might get the "boot".

1375923110000-XXX-BRONCOS-STEELERS-676.jpg

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
According to a composite ranking, he's a 4 star and the #1 ranked player in the state. I'm not making that up. Heck, forget about me and other Penn State fans, why in the world wouldn't the Trib want to give the benefit of the doubt to the high school kid? Why does it seem like they would go out of their way to refer to him with a lower ranking when there is ample evidence to support a reference to a higher ranking? To take a shot at the kid? Or to take a shot a Penn State fans? Or both? Who knows. If it's arrogant of me to think that a local newspaper would "spin" a story about a high school kid for the benefit of the high school kid, then so be it. IMHO the fact that they didn't lends some support to the idea that they're more interested in taking a shot at Penn State.

Cherry-picking data to deliberately undersell a local high school kid is pathetic and hilarious. I honestly find it incomprehensible that someone could be so petty. Pitt supporters must be in so much pain LOL.

Fair they also put their best writer on the story. If there is a better high school beat reporter anywhere than Mike White, I don't know who it is. The guy knows EVERYBODY.

I am amazed that this is an issue. You have no idea the Trib went out of their way to give him a lower ranking. It's not like the Trib checked all over the web and used some obscure ranking. Rivals is a respected site. I've seen Rivals used as the sole source on many articles through the years, for Pitt and Penn State kids alike. Sometimes they are higher than sites, sometimes lower. So what? It's all subjective anyway. I have to leave this thread. Again, no offense intended, but to me this is an example of Penn State fan arrogance. I am just happy we got the kid, Pitt did not, he is highly rated, and his selection of Penn State got a lot of mention in the Pittsburgh area.

NOTE: 247Sports, one of the sites that ranks Porter as 4 star, has Penn State at 14th in the team rankings. Rivals (Porter's 3 star) has PSU 11th. Perhaps those who take issue with the Rivals ranking on Porter will ignore the higher Penn State team ranking and use 247's.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I am amazed that this is an issue. You have no idea the Trib went out of their way to give him a lower ranking. It's not like the Trib checked all over the web and used some obscure ranking. Rivals is a respected site. I've seen Rivals used as the sole source on many articles through the years, for Pitt and Penn State kids alike. Sometimes they are higher than sites, sometimes lower. So what? It's all subjective anyway. I have to leave this thread. Again, no offense intended, but to me this is an example of Penn State fan arrogance. I am just happy we got the kid, Pitt did not, he is highly rated, and his selection of Penn State got a lot of mention in the Pittsburgh area.
Fair I detest Pitt football in general (not the players, the program) and Narduzzi in particular as much as anybody and more than many.

But it's over. We embarrassed them on their home field and we made the Duzzer look like - once again - a moron. Now we beat them for a WPIAL guy with great bloodlines and tremendous potential. Let it go. Don't look to 93.7 or the P-G for validation.

Somebody with news or a new angle on Pitt, I'd love to see it. But to take offense to every little thing, we got bigger and better fish to fry.

"Pomp" would have had him on the 6 O'clock sports!!!

I think it's hilarious and very sad at the same time that every thread on the Lair regarding this gets deleted. I caught a couple before they got the ax. And the threads weren't even PSU fans throwing it in their faces. They were started by Pitt fans just having a rare rational discussion. Peak must be on the verge of a nervous breakdown at this point.

Fair I detest Pitt football in general (not the players, the program) and Narduzzi in particular as much as anybody and more than many.

But it's over. We embarrassed them on their home field and we made the Duzzer look like - once again - a moron. Now we beat them for a WPIAL guy with great bloodlines and tremendous potential. Let it go. Don't look to 93.7 or the P-G for validation.

Somebody with news or a new angle on Pitt, I'd love to see it. But to take offense to every little thing, we got bigger and better fish to fry.

I have a lot of Pitt friends, and I'm sure you do as well. They are always cordial to me, but constantly hammer the arrogance of Penn State fans. To me, this whole thread supports their argument. Ah well, fans will be fans.

Fair they also put their best writer on the story. If there is a better high school beat reporter anywhere than Mike White, I don't know who it is. The guy knows EVERYBODY.

I used to give Mike 'clues' about WHO PSU was recruiting and even called him when he 'missed' a verbal that PSU got!! It would appear in the paper the very next day!! LOL!!! Thanks to me!!

I think it's hilarious and very sad at the same time that every thread on the Lair regarding this gets deleted. I caught a couple before they got the ax. And the threads weren't even PSU fans throwing it in their faces. They were started by Pitt fans just having a rare rational discussion. Peak must be on the verge of a nervous breakdown at this point.
PAg - your new profile pic, Timber Rattler? Did you see him somewhere or just grab the pic? I love snakes but I'm terrible seeing them in the wild, I must make too much noise in the woods.

Reactions: TheGLOV
We know that he didn't go out of his way to present his local high school kid in the best light possible. Is your defense he's lazy?

There is no defense necessary. Many posts in this thread are absurd. Perhaps some consider mine as such. So be it. I said I was moving on from this thread and did not. My bad. I won't make that mistake again.

"Pomp" would have had him on the 6 O'clock sports!!!
On the one hand I kind of like Pomp. I went to the Catholic Men's Fellowship the one year at Duquesne and he was a featured speaker, did a terrific job. He's a lock to replace Hillgrove (at least for football) when Billy hangs it up. On the other hand he - for sure - is a Pitt shill, which gets annoying.

Duzzi's coaches show is on 93.7 tonight at 6. You can get it on the Internet if so inclined. I think it is going to be comedy gold.

PAg - your new profile pic, Timber Rattler? Did you see him somewhere or just grab the pic? I love snakes but I'm terrible seeing them in the wild, I must make too much noise in the woods.
It is a timber rattler. My wife took that picture from the safety of my truck. He was not too happy we were there looking at him. We have a camp in Potter County and saw him on one of the State Forest roads.

When I go in the woods in rattlesnake territory, I purposely make a lot of noise hoping to scare them off or get an early warning. I love seeing them, but I'm always worried about accidentally cornering or stepping on one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT