ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 OC's on Franklin's wish list

Its Joe Moorhead #1. You guys are in la la land if you don't see this. Franklin is going to go hard at Moorhead after this week. I think Moorhead will end up our OC bc Franklin wants him bad and we will pony up for him.

Moorhead knows that Akron is a dead-end job and he'd be paid less there, and ultimately he's a better OC than head coach. Its just the reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Its Joe Moorhead #1. You guys are in la la land if you don't see this. Franklin is going to go hard at Moorhead after this week. I think Moorhead will end up our OC bc Franklin wants him bad and we will pony up for him.

Moorhead knows that Akron is a dead-end job and he'd be paid less there, and ultimately he's a better OC than head coach. Its just the reality.

Disagree.

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
is this a real top 3 list? i.e., is there an actual source? Chip Kelly becoming OC at penn state sounds like something too ridiculously unlikely for any coach to even pursue

also, bringing back Moorhead sounds like a really shaky idea. yes he did a great job here 7 years ago. so did Fran Ganter 29 years ago. it doesn't mean you can go back. Mississippi State and Akron didn't go so well, and I don't understand why some think he is the top choice

is this a real top 3 list? i.e., is there an actual source? Chip Kelly becoming OC at penn state sounds like something too ridiculously unlikely for any coach to even pursue

also, bringing back Moorhead sounds like a really shaky idea. yes he did a great job here 7 years ago. so did Fran Ganter 29 years ago. it doesn't mean you can go back. Mississippi State and Akron didn't go so well, and I don't understand why some think he is the top choice

This is a delusional list created by someone that believes Klieman, who's in his 50s, is going to walk away from K-State after 5 years and 10 years as a HC with 4 NCs to take an OC job here. Klieman to A&M would make way more sense that this nonsense. Klieman is also a defensive coach but the OP is just making up stuff now to see how stupid everyone is.

Last edited:

I like JoMo ….a lot. He’s very smart, and has proven to be a very good OC at multiple places. He’s adept at finding ways to get the ball to the most talented athletes. That said, he presents a clear quandry to Coach Franklin ( IMO)….. something he wants very much to avoid. JoMo’s RPO is absolutely, slam dunk suited for Beau. He is the threat that opens up running lanes for Singleton and Allen… The lanes that have been missing.— Even if Beau is only a marginal “thrower” , the offense is more difficult for a defense to key and cover. —Unless he can somehow “hybridize” The RPO to fit Allar ( while retaining the offensive options which obviate successful defensive keying) , I don’t believe coach Franklin will put himself in the position to relegate Allar to QB 2…..and in Joe’s previous RPO’s , Beau seems the clear athletic choice to run it more successfully. —I think Coach Franklin chooses a different OC, to coach up Allar, and Hope Beau stays 1 more year( assuming Allar to NFL) till he can have the “keys to the car”. JMO

Why would Chip Kelly leave as head coach at UCLA to become OC at Penn State? Leaving the top job in LA to move to State College as a coordinator? I just don’t see that happening.

Not sure what to make of the KU and KSU coaches. Don’t know much about them.

Last edited:
Why would Chip Kelly leave as head coach at UCLA to become OC at Penn State? Leaving the top job in LA to move to State College as a coordinator? I just don’t see that happening.

Not sure what to make of the KU and KSU OCs. Don’t know much about them.
Klieman is a HC that has never coached offense in his life and won 4 NCs before being successful at K-State. This might he the worst lie ever told. He either misunderstood what was said or thought he was being smart since Klieman coached Wentz.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Yeah most of these names make perfect sense. With coaching salaries generally being nice seven figure numbers for coordinators, why not hire some guy in his mid to late fifties and watch him glide seamlessly into retirement.

Reactions: psu00
Just because this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on a board...
Klieman is 56
He's 8-3 this year with the following losses
@ Missouri by 3
@ Oklahoma State by 8
@ Texas by 3
But he's walking about from the Big XII that's losing Texas and Oklahoma to be an OC at Penn State when he's never coached offense (not even as a position coach) and has a career record of 110-36 with 4 National Titles in FCS.
Yeah, make perfect sense. Might as well add Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh to the list.

I am hoping it’s not Moorhead, but I suspect it is. Perhaps he was moderately successful at Oregon for a season but his last real success was here at PSU and that roster was loaded with NFL talent. His Akron team is putrid.

Agree. I don't want Moorhead. Barkley disappeared in a fair number off games. That offense had a ton of talent and still struggled at times.

I dont understand how hes an idiot for wanting our best OC back that we've had in decades, if you dont include OB.
You're not accurately remembering the criticism of him while he was here. We need to revamp things not revert back to the past. Saquon covered up a lot of issues with his offense. Do you remember how often Saquon was hit behind the line with slow developing plays or have your forgotten that? Our passing game was essentially throwing jump balls.

You're not accurately remembering the criticism of him while he was here. We need to revamp things not revert back to the past. Saquon covered up a lot of issues with his offense. Do you remember how often Saquon was hit behind the line with slow developing plays or have your forgotten that? Our passing game was essentially throwing jump balls.
Name a better OC who we can get? Exactly

WE can get a great offensive coordinator... and I always say WE because I'm a true Penn State Man and I follow all Penn State sports...

... except wrestling 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not sure what to make of the KU and KSU coaches. Don’t know much about them.
There are rumblings that Chip Kelly is on the hot seat at UCLA and could possibly be fired at the end of this season. So, he could potentially get an OC position if he couldn’t find another HC position. I think there will a demand for him, even at the age 60. The guy at K State makes no sense if he’s never coached the offensive side.

Reactions: psu00
Is there a big demand for chip Kelly? Isnt the book out in him and his system? Hurry up and go fast. Teams have caught up to that.

If we were after anybody at KState, wouldn't it be Collin Klein? The actual OC, who has juggled a 2 QB system this year between a pro style and zone read style QBs?

Reactions: NedFromYork
Chris Klieman - HC , Kansas State. Andy Kotelnicki - OC, Kansas Jay Hawks & Chip Kelly.
Kotelnicki is an interesting one to me. His years at Buffalo, under Lance Leopold, their offensive lines basically steam rolled the competition. Something we have not be been able to do for decades. Also had MAC offensive player of the year with QB Tyree Jackson.

How about joe Brady?
Joe Brady = Joe Moorhead Jr. What Brady helped install at LSU was a more mature version of what Joe Moorhead ran at UConn under Randy Edsall and wanted to run here with Hack. He gave it a run with Trace and gave up which resulted in the super simple RPO we saw during the second half of 16 through 19 when Rahne left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT