ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Gibson DC

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
N.C. State...the name that I am hearing more and more. Excellent defensive coordinator. HAS DONE IT AT AN ELITE LEVEL AS THE GUY.

The hire could happen as early as next week or even sooner. I'm NOT calling it yet but it COULD happen.

His name was being tossed around for the duke job, that would be a damn good hire.
It's a home run. I'm praying we bring this on home. If we do, we will have not only survived losing both coordinators, but we will have gotten an upgrade on offense and a push on defense...we need to close this though by the end of the week or early next week so we can go after our defensive targets. The announcements are going to start trickling in by Saturday on these portal guys.

Reactions: NedFromYork
It's a home run. I'm praying we bring this on home. If we do, we will have not only survived losing both coordinators, but we will have gotten an upgrade on offense and a push on defense...we need to close this though by the end of the week or early next week so we can go after our defensive targets. The announcements are going to start trickling in by Saturday on these portal guys.
I can’t disagree with any of your statement. Gotta give some props to Kraft and James, they are not playing around.

Reactions: Psubiomed
I can’t disagree with any of your statement. Gotta give some props to Kraft and James, they are not playing around.
Wikipedia shows Gibson's current salary at 1.3M. Kotelnicki reportedly just signed a 1.6M deal with annual 100k escalator. Signing both of these guys would show that we seemingly are boosting our investment in assistant coaching salaries and both would seemingly be getting 1.5M+. I think that would put us among the biggest spending programs for combined OC & DC salaries.

A push at DC? Come on man… Manny has been the #1 DC for two years. His replacement will not be a push. PSU will regress defensively next year. That’s only natural. An NCState DC? Promote Dex or he’s gone to Duke.
Let's make sure you hold on to that after they sign Gibson.

Wikipedia shows Gibson's current salary at 1.3M. Kotelnicki reportedly just signed a 1.6M deal with annual 100k escalator. Signing both of these guys would show that we seemingly are boosting our investment in assistant coaching salaries and both would seemingly be getting 1.5M+. I think that would put us among the biggest spending programs for combined OC & DC salaries.
I thought Diaz made 3.5m last year?

A push at DC? Come on man… Manny has been the #1 DC for two years. His replacement will not be a push. PSU will regress defensively next year. That’s only natural. An NCState DC? Promote Dex or he’s gone to Duke.
Agreed. Manny was the best last year. I do not believe for a second this guy is at the same level as Manny.

Reactions: bison13
Lmao push on defense? I don’t remember Díaz defense ever give up 41 points to Marshall

This should really be a non issue. If Gibson’s chosen profession is that of a defensive coach, and he can’t adapt his past philosophies to mesh with the talent available in a new position, then he shouldn’t be coaching anywhere.

It seems like a great hire...... this can not be a push as we all wanted Manny to stay as he has been one of the best DCs in College Football. Now that Manny is gone.....Gibson seems like a great replacement. It does feel like a substantial upgrade on the OC side.......like that someone is looking to exploit misma

Can a 3-3-5 be effective against power running teams like UM?

Probably not. Some will say "TCU beat Michigan running it", but they gave up 45 points with an advantage in the turnover margin (Michigan was very close to breaking 50 and just fell apart early).

I think you have to have 7 big bodies on the standard run downs to have a shot. The 3 down lineman seems to be harder to block for Michigan than 4, but I think you have to have LBs with enough size to matchup up on all the blocking scheme they throw atcha. 5 DBs vs what Michigan does just isn't the personnel you need.

Reactions: Westcoast24
N.C. State...the name that I am hearing more and more. Excellent defensive coordinator. HAS DONE IT AT AN ELITE LEVEL AS THE GUY.

The hire could happen as early as next week or even sooner. I'm NOT calling it yet but it COULD happen.
How is he better than Poindexter? Poindexter spent 2 years learning from the best.

What is elite about the ACC?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT