ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight Todd Blackledge's "Taste of the Town" to feature...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
...Franco's in Williamsport. Couldn't happen to nicer people and a better restaurant. Way to go Fred and Maria!

Tune into the Penn State University football game tomorrow night! Todd Blackledge is featuring Franco's Lounge on his "Taste of the Town" segment before the game at 7:30pm and during the second quarter.

franco-s.jpg

1170336_1090512330991642_657201536_n.jpg

flatten;crop;jpeg_quality=70

Last edited:
...Franco's in Williamsport. Couldn't happen to nicer people and a better restaurant. Way to go Fred and Maria!

Tune into the Penn State University football game tomorrow night! Todd Blackledge is featuring Franco's Lounge on his "Taste of the Town" segment before the game at 7:30pm and during the second quarter.

franco-s.jpg

Yum

Congratulations to Franco’s. However, is it common for them to feature restaurants an hour away from the actual town they’re supposed to be tasting? Or is this feature going to be shown during a break in the Lycoming homecoming game vs Delaware Valley?

Reactions: hlstone
Congratulations to Franco’s. However, is it common for them to feature restaurants an hour away from the actual town they’re supposed to be tasting? Or is this feature going to be shown during a break in the Lycoming homecoming game vs Delaware Valley?
Not sure. I think I remember him visiting BBQ joints in the south that were well off campus, but not that far off campus. It is a surprise to me. I don't think it says anything about SC food, I think it's more the LLWS relationships at work here.

I don't remember if Todd has done more than one segment in SC ( the Diner).

Reactions: manatree
Not sure. I think I remember him visiting BBQ joints in the south that were well off campus, but not that far off campus. It is a surprise to me. I don't think it says anything about SC food, I think it's more the LLWS relationships at work here.

I don't remember if Todd has done more than one segment in SC ( the Diner).

Thanks. I’ve actually never seen the show, I just thought that it was odd that they’re featuring a place so far out of town. I’ve eaten at Franco’s twice over the years and really enjoyed it both times.

For all the trash that gets talked about State College’s food scene, it has improved tremendously since I first came to town in 1990. I remember when the first Taco Bell opened. There were lines out the door for days. Not because it was good food, but because it was so different than what State College had to offer. Even some of the Asian-American restaurants have a lot of items that you would have never seen on a State College menu even five ago.

I sorely miss Herwig’s. A lot. Where bacon was an herb. And My My Chicken. I also miss Zola, which was my splurge spot. Loved their lamb shanks. Dan Rallis left the Diner die a slow and miserable death as he wanted to focus on his catering business. Strangely enough, State College now finds itself in dire need of a basic blue plate diner. I’ve always wished that we had a Jewish style deli.

franco-s.jpg

Where's Fred in the photo?

Used to spend a lot of Fri and/or Sat nights in Williamsport, have not been back there in probably 15 years.

IIRC, used to go to a nice place in a residential area called Tag’s or Tagg’s.

(Lived with my grandparents for a year or so on Park Ave when I was in 1st or 2nd grade while my Dad was in the Air Force overseas.)

Used to spend a lot of Fri and/or Sat nights in Williamsport, have not been back there in probably 15 years.

(Lived with my grandparents for a year or so on Park Ave when I was in 1st or 2nd grade while my Dad was in the Air Force overseas.)
Before Franco's, there was Tag's and the Triangle. Both were excellent. Now there's Franco's and DiSalvos - both, again excellent. And for bigger portions and a little dirtier kitchen, go to the Villa. Best ravioli in town imo.

Last edited:
I’m disappointed they ignored legendary Billtown spots like the Old Corner and Two Boys😉

Easy now, my nephew plays for Lycoming!

I read somewhere that this was a way for Todd not to offend any SC restaurants that he might not have picked had he picked say The Tavern.

I read somewhere that this was a way for Todd not to offend any SC restaurants that he might not have picked had he picked say The Tavern.
That was suggested by McDonough, but it seemed to be in jest. As I said, this goes back to the same tv crews working the LLWS for years and having great experiences at Franco's.

So instead of making one local town business happy, the solution was to go an hour outside of town? Like I said, Franco’s is a nice place, but it defeats the purpose of Taste of the Town when it is nowhere near the town. There are any number of good local independent places that could have used the boost.

So instead of making one local town business happy, the solution was to go an hour outside of town? Like I said, Franco’s is a nice place, but it defeats the purpose of Taste of the Town when it is nowhere near the town. There are any number of good local independent places that could have used the boost.
Well, it's Todd's segment. Take it up with him.

I agree. Why not just go to Harrisburg or Wilkes-Barre.

Help me here, I’ve been coming up from Massachusetts, then South Carolina, then Hawaii for fifty years and now live here. Most I’ve gone to are gone. Campus Eats has done the Tavern and the Field (a Marriot eatery way off campus) I believe the lack of good restaurants was the reason Bill O’ Brien’s wife wouldn’t come here to live (don’t know if true) Never complain if you don’t have a solution. To in with Johnson & Wales to have a name culinary school develop local restaurants. IMHO

Coincidence
My wife just showed me the menus at the Crippled Bear……lot of entries, but menus prices are very low?
Crippled Bear has great food. Prices are what the locals will spend, I guess. Yes, very cheap compared to other places.

Help me here, I’ve been coming up from Massachusetts, then South Carolina, then Hawaii for fifty years and now live here. Most I’ve gone to are gone. Campus Eats has done the Tavern and the Field (a Marriot eatery way off campus) I believe the lack of good restaurants was the reason Bill O’ Brien’s wife wouldn’t come here to live (don’t know if true) Never complain if you don’t have a solution. To in with Johnson & Wales to have a name culinary school develop local restaurants. IMHO
To expect State College to ever compare to a major city like Houston, or to expect it to ever be a magnet for Johnson & Wales grads is folly. Although there have been some J&W grads that have worked here.

After skimming some of the past Taste of the Towns, it appears that the model of the show is not fine, high end cuisine, rather long time local establishments and student favorites. State College still has quite a few that fit that profile.

HiWay, Irving's, Gemelli's, Original Waffle House N&S, India Pavilion, Faccia Luna, Meyer's, etc. all fit the mold of long time local establishments. Even newer places like The Naked Egg would have been a good fit

I have no idea as to what are the student favorites these days, but it would have made for good tv if they parked a camera crew at the Sher Halal cart for a night.

Like I said before, the variety & quality has improved drastically since I came here in 1990.

Last edited:
Francos is an amazing Italian Restaurant (old school). We hit it on the way up to upstate NY. Big picture of Queen Bee over our table the last time :eek:)

Tags was an awesome place. Would go there when our school played football against Williamsport

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Thanks. I’ve actually never seen the show, I just thought that it was odd that they’re featuring a place so far out of town. I’ve eaten at Franco’s twice over the years and really enjoyed it both times.

For all the trash that gets talked about State College’s food scene, it has improved tremendously since I first came to town in 1990. I remember when the first Taco Bell opened. There were lines out the door for days. Not because it was good food, but because it was so different than what State College had to offer. Even some of the Asian-American restaurants have a lot of items that you would have never seen on a State College menu even five ago.

I sorely miss Herwig’s. A lot. Where bacon was an herb. And My My Chicken. I also miss Zola, which was my splurge spot. Loved their lamb shanks. Dan Rallis left the Diner die a slow and miserable death as he wanted to focus on his catering business. Strangely enough, State College now finds itself in dire need of a basic blue plate diner. I’ve always wished that we had a Jewish style deli.
My My Chicken and Herwigs were my two favorite places in town. Such a bummer both are gone—and the man who started Herwigs passes fairly recently too.

oh that looks awesome and surely is delicious. just to throw it out there, if one likes bruschetta and you are ever in Windber, PA.....D'Arc's Pizza has fabulous Bruschetta and the pizza is the best!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT