ADVERTISEMENT

Today is THE day -- PSU MBB becomes ranked

Well, what was the gap in the 3-point percentage? Inquiring minds need to know.
36.7 vs 31.9

Defensive efficiency...2001 was 95th, this year is 23rd.

Offensive efficiency...2001 was 16th, this year is 43rd.

Last edited:
It took Jim Calhoun 9 years to make the NCAAs with Northeastern and I think stuff turned out ok for him (which, coincidentally, Pat took another Boston school - BU - dancing after just 2 years). ;-)

It may have been a longer build then we had hoped, but the future is bright

Considering that Calhoun had to take Northeastern from D-II to D-I and took them to the tourney when only 48 teams went you are trying to make an apples to lug nuts comparison.

I’ve heard the “we’ve turned the corner” so many times only to realize we’ve gone in circles for years. My rule of thumb for a solid program is to finish in the top half of the conference 3 out of 5 years. Then I’ll believe that we’ve arrived. For me, the biggest positive so far this season is better team play. So many times, Pat’s teams looked like they had never practiced together.

Last edited:
That's quite the statement and hyperbole. I think that this team trumps 2001. I would love to see Tyler Smith attempt to shut down Lamar Stevens... or even Cline-Heard against Watkins, for that matter. Let alone once we get to bench players - does 2001 have anyone who can match the athleticism of Brockington? I think not

I would take my chances with Wheeler guarding Joe Crispin, as well.
Do you think it's really that hard to defend Stevens when he prefers to shoot 29% percent from the three point line...........this points to why I said what I said.

Role playing. What is a basketball player's role. How well each player knows his role and embraces his role often determines how good a team can be.

Reactions: Ski
Do you think it's really that hard to defend Stevens when he prefers to shoot 29% percent from the three point line...........this points to why I said what I said.
Yes, I do. The fact that he has some willingness to shoot the three makes defenders play him a little further out and opens up many shot fakes. I’m glad he doesn’t allow defenses to sag off him like they do on our two bigs and Wheeler.

Reactions: UncleLar
Yes, I do. The fact that he has some willingness to shoot the three makes defenders play him a little further out and opens up many shot fakes. I’m glad he doesn’t allow defenses to sag off him like they do on our two bigs and Wheeler.
Definitely, a great point. The fact remains that it is least effective place for a mid range / low post player to operate from. If I was an opposing Coach and saw Stevens going to shoot a three .....I would say we would prefer that all day.

When I see Stevens settling for threes it reminds me of Blake Griffin looking to shoot threes for the Pistons when he is a load underneath. (I realize he has knee issues and is probably looking to go soft.)

He was told during NBA draft workouts that he needs to develop a more consistent 3-point shot to make it in the league. At least that is what I heard at that time. 35-40% from deep and he would be almost unguardable (or at least an absolute match up nightmare).

Reactions: auxgym
He was told during NBA draft workouts that he needs to develop a more consistent 3-point shot to make it in the league. At least that is what I heard at that time. 35-40% from deep and he would be almost unguardable (or at least an absolute match up nightmare).

That's correct.

What can the program do to keep this thing rolling? What does the program need to bring in Top 100-150 talent every other year (i.e. Carr, Stevens, Watkins)?

It's pretty well known if you can't recruit in basketball you don't stand a chance (maybe you flash in the pan for a year like Northwestern did in '17) at this level and especially in this conference.

DJ Gordon is top 150 talent (HS sr, signed, out of Pittsburgh). Valdir Manuel also was as a HS Sr (incoming Juco big) It's coming. 2021 PA class is stacked, too.

Seth Lundy, current frosh, was also top 150 talent. Carr and Lamar are not the only guys we've gotten that were top 150. Reaves was as well, out of Oak Hill Academy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT