ADVERTISEMENT

Time for metro between Silver Spring MD and Kennedy Center?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
The Mrs. and I are going to the matine showing of Hamilton at the Kennedy Center tomorrow. Our plan is to drive from York to Silver Spring MD and then take the metro to the Kennedy Center. I understand that the metro stop at the Kennedy center is close to the center. How long of a walk is it from the stop to the Kennedy Center? How much time should we allow for taking the metro from Silver Spring to the Kennedy Center?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The Mrs. and I are going to the matine showing of Hamilton at the Kennedy Center tomorrow. Our plan is to drive from York to Silver Spring MD and then take the metro to the Kennedy Center. I understand that the metro stop at the Kennedy center is close to the center. How long of a walk is it from the stop to the Kennedy Center? How much time should we allow for taking the metro from Silver Spring to the Kennedy Center?
There's no Metro stop at the Kennedy Center. The closest station would be Foggy Bottom-GWU, about ten or fifteen minutes. You'd have to change lines.

Try this link:
https://www.wmata.com/schedules/trip-planner/

Look into perhaps starting at Shady Grove instead of Silver Spring. If you're coming down 95 you can take Rte 200 and it will take you directly to Shady Grove, much easier than dealing with getting to Silver Spring.

If this is bad advice then someone will chime in and fix it.

Greenbelt is the easiest stop to drive to (I-95, onto the DC Beltway for one stop, then you get right off into the Metro parking lot). Since you have to switch to Orange/Blue/Silver to get to Foggy Bottom, it doesn't matter much if you start on Red versus Green.

That said, as mentioned, the Kennedy Center isn't all that close to the metro.

Thanks. The Kennedy Center website refers to foggy bottom as the foggy bottom/George Washington/Kennedy Center station.

There is a free shuttle from Foggy Bottom to the Kennedy Center too - runs about every 15 minutes. It’s a pretty good hike to the Kennedy Center from there if you walk. Enjoy - we’re going in September!

There is a free shuttle from Foggy Bottom to the Kennedy Center too - runs about every 15 minutes. It’s a pretty good hike to the Kennedy Center from there if you walk. Enjoy - we’re going in September!
Dress code for matine at Kennedy center? Can I get away with jeans and a collared shirt or Maybe country club casual?

Good hike?

Granted, Ranger, if you & the Mrs. are in your finery for the show & it's a typically muggy D.C. night, you might want the shuttle. However, it's really not far. I used to live just across from the Watergate (i.e., right by the Kennedy) & walked to that metro w/ suitcases on many occasions when taking the subway to Reagan.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Good hike?

Granted, Ranger, if you & the Mrs. are in your finery for the show & it's a typically muggy D.C. night, you might want the shuttle. However, it's really not far. I used to live just across from the Watergate (i.e., right by the Kennedy) & walked to that metro w/ suitcases on many occasions when taking the subway to Reagan.

Guess you’re right - it’s about a seven minute walk I guess. I’d still take the shuttle.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Look into perhaps starting at Shady Grove instead of Silver Spring. If you're coming down 95 you can take Rte 200 and it will take you directly to Shady Grove, much easier than dealing with getting to Silver Spring.

If this is bad advice then someone will chime in and fix it.

MD200 is EasyPass ONLY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT