Thread to list not widely known social/political commentators you like listening to.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
The point is for people to learn about who is out there that others find interesting that you don't already know about. There is no reason to list widely known people since they are already known.

Matt Taibbi - journalist, does podcasts, co-hosts a podcast (Useful Idiots)

Coleman Hughes - young Columbia grad, columnist, podcast guy (Conversations With Coleman)

Peter Bogohossian, James Lindsay, Helen Pluckrose - These three did the recent hoax on the grievance study journals, where they submitted ridiculous, fake articles that got accepted and published. James Lindsay is your expert on all things woke (in addition to being a PhD mathematician, but I don't think he does math anymore).

Tim Dillon - Over the top comedian that has a podcast and is irreverent as hell to authority, and funny too.

Andrew Schultz - Similar to Tim Dillon but a little less over the top. He has a podcast too, that he co-hosts with others.

Glenn Loury - Has The Glenn Show on Blogging Heads TV, which is on Youtube. He is a professor at Brown.

John McWhorter - Linguistics professor at Columbia (I think), articulate, smart guy and frequent guest on The Glenn Show.

Claire Lehmann - I'm not sure that it's her per se but rather he online magazine Quillette that is really good.

Maajid Nawaz - Actually I haven't seen him recently but in the past he was good. He's a Brit of Pakistani origin that at one time was a radical Islamist and was jailed in Egypt for several years. Now he is a normal Muslim that runs the Quilliam Foundation in Britian, which is an anti-extremist organization. He wrote a book about the story of his life many years ago that I read that was good and as I recall it was named "Radical."

Eric Weinstein - Mega-smart guy. He's high up in Peter Thiel's company but he's a very smart guy in general and fun to listen to.

Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying - If you remember the craziness at Evergreen College several years ago, Bret was the professor that took the brun of that. Heather, who also worked at Evergreen at the time, is his wife. They have a podcast named Dark Horse. They are married. Bret is Eric's Weinstein's brother.

Krystall Ball and Saagar Enjeti - The do "Rising," a news show on TheHill.com, and Saagar also has a podcast (co-hosted with someone else) named The Realignment.

Okay, that's it, I'm probably forgetting some but I didn't expect to list so many, this makes me realize just how far I'm out of the mainstream network and cable news-type but that's okay since those are mostly junk and the stuff I list above is good.

But enlighten me with more. Who are you into?

tIUguy2

May 25, 2016
The point is for people to learn about who is out there that others find interesting that you don't already know about. There is no reason to list widely known people since they are already known.

Matt Taibbi - journalist, does podcasts, co-hosts a podcast (Useful Idiots)

Coleman Hughes - young Columbia grad, columnist, podcast guy (Conversations With Coleman)

Peter Bogohossian, James Lindsay, Helen Pluckrose - These three did the recent hoax on the grievance study journals, where they submitted ridiculous, fake articles that got accepted and published. James Lindsay is your expert on all things woke (in addition to being a PhD mathematician, but I don't think he does math anymore).

Tim Dillon - Over the top comedian that has a podcast and is irreverent as hell to authority, and funny too.

Andrew Schultz - Similar to Tim Dillon but a little less over the top. He has a podcast too, that he co-hosts with others.

Glenn Loury - Has The Glenn Show on Blogging Heads TV, which is on Youtube. He is a professor at Brown.

John McWhorter - Linguistics professor at Columbia (I think), articulate, smart guy and frequent guest on The Glenn Show.

Claire Lehmann - I'm not sure that it's her per se but rather he online magazine Quillette that is really good.

Maajid Nawaz - Actually I haven't seen him recently but in the past he was good. He's a Brit of Pakistani origin that at one time was a radical Islamist and was jailed in Egypt for several years. Now he is a normal Muslim that runs the Quilliam Foundation in Britian, which is an anti-extremist organization. He wrote a book about the story of his life many years ago that I read that was good and as I recall it was named "Radical."

Eric Weinstein - Mega-smart guy. He's high up in Peter Thiel's company but he's a very smart guy in general and fun to listen to.

Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying - If you remember the craziness at Evergreen College several years ago, Bret was the professor that took the brun of that. Heather, who also worked at Evergreen at the time, is his wife. They have a podcast named Dark Horse. They are married. Bret is Eric's Weinstein's brother.

Krystall Ball and Saagar Enjeti - The do "Rising," a news show on TheHill.com, and Saagar also has a podcast (co-hosted with someone else) named The Realignment.

Okay, that's it, I'm probably forgetting some but I didn't expect to list so many, this makes me realize just how far I'm out of the mainstream network and cable news-type but that's okay since those are mostly junk and the stuff I list above is good.

But enlighten me with more. Who are you into?
Mark Steyn.

83wuzme

Apr 27, 2005
Really enjoy Bret Weinstein’s Dark Horse Podcast. I prefer listening to perspectives of people outside of the world of journalism and politics when possible.
Dave Rubin ( Rubin Report ) is another good one. I like his longer forum for discussions.
Matt Walsh is somewhat snarky but also very funny.

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
Shelby Steele on race.

Steve McIntyre had very good climate audit blog which has not been updated for a while. Very good info on politics on his twitter feed [until it will be canceled] Is particularly good on Russiagate. https://twitter.com/ClimateAudit

Jonathan Turley lawyer on Twitter. [before he is cancelled]

Andrew McCarthy lawyer on National Review

OP2. Nice idea for a thread.

roswelllion

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2003
Steve Deace - author of A Faucian Bargain. daily podcast. conservative show is entertaining and informative. Not a Qanon guy, hated Trump originally [was a Cruz guy]
Only drawback =huge scUM fan.