ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the challengers...

clucas

Jan 20, 2004
Nashville, TN
Iowa:
125/133: Gilman and Clark should make the semis where Gilman will hit Tomasello and Clark will have round 3 with Richards. I don't see either of them winning it all. My prediction is Gilman loses to NaTo and Clark loses to Garrett in the finals. Sidenote: Clark will wrestle Gary Wayne Harding of Ok. St. in Rd. 2, knocking him into the consolations.

141: No qualifier

149: Sorenson will have Collica or Mayes in the semis...tough matchup either way. I'm hoping it's Mayes, which will have meant Collica was knocked down to wrestlebacks in the quarters.

157: ECJr. will not get past Ian Miller in Rd. 2
165: Patrick Rhoads could win Rd. 1, but if so loses in Rd. 2 to #4 seed Lewis from Mizzou
174: Alex Meyer has a tough 1st Rd. matchup...Gordon Wolf of Lehigh gave Bo fits in the dual. That is a trap match for Meyer. If he wins there, he loses to Ramos of UNC in Rd. 2
184: Brooks...I think he hits the wrestle-backs after the quarters when he faces Nate Brown of Lehigh
197: Burak has Hartmann in the quarters (tough draw) and if he wins, Morgan McIntosh in semis
HWT: Stoll has a tough 2nd Rd. match with Dejournette of App St. who is 31-2. If he gets past that, he has Walz in the quarters who he will not get past.

Summary: I see the Hawks with one, maybe two finalists at most. I don't think Sorenson gets there...to me their best shot is Clark followed by Gilman. They will have to do their damage in the wrestlebacks.

Oklahoma St.

125: Klimara will face Nico in the quarters if he gets past Rios of Oregon St. which is no small task
133: GWH loses to Clark in Rd. 2 if he even gets there
141: Heil will have to avenge his only loss of the season to Joey Ward in the quarters then get past Ashnault in the semis and probably either McKenna or Kevin Jack in the finals...tough weight class
149: Collica will have Tsirtsis in Rd. 2 and likely Lavion Mayes of Mizzou in the quarters before Sorenson in the semis and Zain in the finals...thats an absolute minefield to navigate
157: JoJo...Nolf in the quarters. Tough match but to the wrestle-backs he goes
165: National Champ
174: Chandler Rogers would likely have Epperly in Rd. 2 and then Bo in the quarters...he's headed to the wrestle-backs in one these two rounds.
184: Boyd gets Gabe Dean in the quarters...payback time and to the wrestle-backs
197: Weigel loses in opening Rd. to Brett Pfarr of Minny.
HWT: Marsden won't get past Coon in the quarters

Summary: I see two finalists at most for the Cowboys with one being a virtual lock to win it. Heil has a really tough road to the finals. Again, like Iowa, I see them having to get a ton of points and bonus in the wrestle-backs to even have a shot. Most of their elite wrestlers don't even have a very clear path to the semis with the exception of Dieringer.

Cornell
Could easily have 3 finalists in Garrett, Dean and Realbuto but they don't have enough depth and firepower in the other weight classes. Palacio could go on a run, but he will get IMill in the quarters and then IMar in the semis making him "Imnolongerinthechampionshipbracket"

Reactions: garw and lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT