ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on new PSU AA prez Randy Houston? *

As someone who knows him well, he’s a great guy. He is very bright and has a long history of service to Penn State. He’s an attorney, musician, and playwright - a real renaissance man. He had been volunteering his time and effort to helping Penn State for decades. Those among you who are critical don’t know squat.
Stop it. Anyone in a position of authority has to suck.

Reactions: Nitwit
Page 41 (and 42):

https://directory.alumni.psu.edu/s/...nid=6e237b91-63ee-4f78-98f0-d465df1fc35c&cc=1

Page 4 (and 5):

https://directory.alumni.psu.edu/s/...nancial_statements_20172018.pdf?gid=4&pgid=61

BTW:
What are the annual dues for AA Membership?
Is it still $50 per year?

What is $2.2 Million divided by 50? Is it the "170,000 dues paying members" that PSU AA Claims? :)
(Correct me if my math is wrong...… but I get approximately 44,000)

Oh..... and what does it mean if "Membership Dues" from 2017 to 2018 drop by 10-15% (2017 to 2018 = since the Big Red Obscenely-Paid Dog took the wheel)

Revenue, Gains and Other Support: 2018 2017
In-kind contributed services, facilities and utilities: 5,670,228 5,482,603
Grants and allocations: 932,060 686,631
Membership dues: 2,201,173 2,493,343
(From Page 4 of the PSU AA Financial Statements linked in above)
I’m sure they are counting lifetime members too. I paid my dues for a couple of years after I graduated, and then never had to pay again.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Stop it. Anyone in a position of authority has to suck.

Guessing that Houston is a figurehead and does not occupy a "position of authority" (that would be Red Doggie). Doesn't mean that he doesn't suck, a subject on which I have no opinion.

Got a note from someone who had a conversation with Randy Houston, and he's firmly in the "move on" crowd. Randy was skeptical about the conflicts of interest between PSU and TSM, and JVP being thrown under the bus. Contact said Randy seemed like a good guy, but completely oblivious to the dynamics surrounding JVP with no interest in setting the record straight. He told him that's not the role of the Alumni Association. So, about as expected.

So the man hired as the liaison between the alumni and the goings on of the school has no interest in hot ticket items between the alumni and the school. Perfect hire!

So the man hired as the liaison between the alumni and the goings on of the school has no interest in hot ticket items between the alumni and the school. Perfect hire!

"Hired" implies that he's being paid, which I think is not the case here. The man has a real job in real life, so don't expect him to spend a lot of time on alumni association matters, ya know, kinda like the same for BoT members when in comes to PSU governance.

Guessing that Houston is a figurehead and does not occupy a "position of authority" (that would be Red Doggie). Doesn't mean that he doesn't suck, a subject on which I have no opinion.
I agree. I never met the man and have no opinion on him one way or the other. I'm also not going to slam him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT