ADVERTISEMENT

"This New Battery is a Game Changer"

T J

May 29, 2001
From the report...

The innovation is the use of the Nobel prize-winning plastic-that-acts-like-a-metal, haologenated polyacetylene.

The innovation is the low-cost, light-weight but powerful battery developed by Nobel prize-winner Alan Heeger, PhD

======
Comment -

We have been overdue for some legitimate technology breakthroughs that actually work and are cost-effective.

We will see how this works out.
Let's hope it is the "real deal."

Kick the tires...

====

More at the link...

This New Battery is a Game Changer

Lighter Cheaper More Powerful Battery Changes Renewable Economics

Guest essay by Roger E. Sowell, Esq. Marina del Rey, California

It is not often on SLB that I use the phrase “game-changer.” Most things progress, if they progress at all, in small increments. This time, though, is one of those that deserves the phrase game-changer.

The innovation is the low-cost, light-weight but powerful battery developed by Nobel prize-winner Alan Heeger, PhD of the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB). The company is Biosolar . see linkto http://www.biosolar.com

The battery is suitable for mobile and stationary applications such as cars, trucks, grid stabilization, home power storage, and others.

The innovation is the use of the Nobel prize-winning plastic-that-acts-like-a-metal, haologenated polyacetylene.

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry, 2000: Conductive Polymers (see link) is lengthy but has this to say about the discovery:

” In 1977, however, Shirakawa, MacDiarmid and Heeger discovered that oxidation with chlorine, bromine or iodine vapour made polyacetylene films 10^9 times more conductive than they were originally. Treatment with halogen was called “doping” by analogy with the doping of semiconductors.

The “doped” form of polyacetylene had a conductivity of 10^5 Siemens per meter, which was higher than that of any previously known polymer.

As a comparison,
teflon has a conductivity of 10^–16 S m–1 and
silver and copper 10^8 S m–1.”

The battery, which is now patent-pending at the US and other patent offices, is expected to

cost less than $100 per kWh (about one-fourth that of the best batteries today),

to weigh less and therefore

provide longer range to cars,

to have a greater power density (power to weight ratio),

have a faster charging time and

much longer life.

Another substantial positive is the material itself, made from common acetylene. There are no rare earths to mine and extract, no toxic residues. The halogen dopants are also common, cheap, and abundant.
This battery, which continues the use of lithium for the anode, is likely a primary contribution to the Tesla company’s announcement this week of a new mid-price all-electric car.
The renewable energy field, especially those technologies that have variable output due to changes in the wind or sunshine, will benefit greatly from a low-cost high-density battery.

A wind energy project would not be limited to selling power at low prices, currently 3 cents per kWh, but instead selling the power as would a gas-fired power plant, on demand and reliably at the market price.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/04/08/this-new-battery-is-a-game-changer/

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69
Fully expect the oil and gas industries and car manufacturers to get ahold of the rights to this so it never sees the light of day until all the oil and gas is stripped from the ground. Watch the documentary, "Who Killed The Electric Car " sometime. The big cartels won't allow it to happen for the average Joe.

Reactions: step.eng69
From the report...

The innovation is the low-cost, light-weight but powerful battery developed by Nobel prize-winner Alan Heeger, PhD

======
Comment -

We have been overdue for some legitimate technology breakthroughs that actually work and are cost-effective.

We will see how this works out.
Let's hope it is the "real deal."

Kick the tires...

====

More at the link...

This New Battery is a Game Changer

Lighter Cheaper More Powerful Battery Changes Renewable Economics

Guest essay by Roger E. Sowell, Esq. Marina del Rey, California

It is not often on SLB that I use the phrase “game-changer.” Most things progress, if they progress at all, in small increments. This time, though, is one of those that deserves the phrase game-changer.

The innovation is the low-cost, light-weight but powerful battery developed by Nobel prize-winner Alan Heeger, PhD of the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB). The company is Biosolar . see linkto http://www.biosolar.com

The battery is suitable for mobile and stationary applications such as cars, trucks, grid stabilization, home power storage, and others.

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry, 2000: Conductive Polymers (see link) is lengthy but has this to say about the discovery:

” In 1977, however, Shirakawa, MacDiarmid and Heeger discovered that oxidation with chlorine, bromine or iodine vapour made polyacetylene films 10^9 times more conductive than they were originally. Treatment with halogen was called “doping” by analogy with the doping of semiconductors.

The “doped” form of polyacetylene had a conductivity of 10^5 Siemens per meter, which was higher than that of any previously known polymer.

As a comparison,
teflon has a conductivity of 10^–16 S m–1 and
silver and copper 10^8 S m–1.”

The battery, which is now patent-pending at the US and other patent offices, is expected to

cost less than $100 per kWh (about one-fourth that of the best batteries today),

to weigh less and therefore

provide longer range to cars,

to have a greater power density (power to weight ratio),

have a faster charging time and

much longer life.

Another substantial positive is the material itself, made from common acetylene. There are no rare earths to mine and extract, no toxic residues. The halogen dopants are also common, cheap, and abundant.
This battery, which continues the use of lithium for the anode, is likely a primary contribution to the Tesla company’s announcement this week of a new mid-price all-electric car.
The renewable energy field, especially those technologies that have variable output due to changes in the wind or sunshine, will benefit greatly from a low-cost high-density battery.

A wind energy project would not be limited to selling power at low prices, currently 3 cents per kWh, but instead selling the power as would a gas-fired power plant, on demand and reliably at the market price.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/04/08/this-new-battery-is-a-game-changer/
"Stock pimping" can get one in trouble "really quickly" with the SEC, especially if one is not properly licensed to even remotely do so. What you posted might be accurate....or it might turn out to be wishful thinking. Let's hope, for your sake, that the stock doesn't have a big move next week (+/-) and it turns out that you're a prior shareholder or other "interested party"

Just sayin.....

Last edited:
Fully expect the oil and gas industries and car manufacturers to get ahold of the rights to this so it never sees the light of day until all the oil and gas is stripped from the ground. Watch the documentary, "Who Killed The Electric Car " sometime. The big cartels won't allow it to happen for the average Joe.
Yeah, right, and cars could get 100 mpg if only the oil companies would allow it. Electric cars have been on the market for awhile now and even with the taxpayer contributing to their cost, haven t sold well at all.

"Stock pimping" can get one in trouble "really quickly" with the SEC, especially if one is not properly licensed to even remotely do so. What you posted might be accurate....or it might turn out to be wishful thinking. Let's hope, for your sake, that the stock doesn't have a big move next week (+/-) and it turns out that you're a prior shareholder or other "interested party"

Just sayin.....
You can "pimp" stocks all you want as long as what you are pimping is public knowledge and that public has had the time to digest that knowledge, which is usually a day or two at most.

I used to work for a very large company in a position that gave me insider knowledge. The company made sure I was properly trained in SEC rules and regulations.

note: I didn't investigate to find out when this information went public and if the public has had ample time to digest the information. But since the article was written by someone outside the company, or so it seems, then this must have been public for multiple days making it public information.

Yeah, right, and cars could get 100 mpg if only the oil companies would allow it. Electric cars have been on the market for awhile now and even with the taxpayer contributing to their cost, haven t sold well at all.
There is flat out no demand for electronic cars. Right now, they aren't cost effective. If these batteries work, everyone will want an electronic car and car companies will happily manufacture them.

Oh look, a battery made out of petroleum products.
This is beautiful.

My favorite is the corn alcohol argument. We get enough corn per acre to economically produce alcohol by dumping fertilizer on the soil. The fertilizer is a nitrogen compound which requires hydrogen which is only economically available as a by-product of petroleum refining.

note: For all those that think all is good with the environment, economically is the key word above.

sub-note: Penn State has discovered a bacteria which eats bio-mass and expels almost 300 times more energy in the form of hydrogen then it takes to produce, feed, and capture the energy potential. This hasn't yet been taken to a large scale development.

sub-note 2: When hydrogen burns the by-products are water and heat. Nice!

From comments..,

ristvan on April 8, 2016 at 11:48 am

Hate to be a damp blanket, but so be it. I happen to know a lot about electric energy storage, especially lithium ion batteries, pseudo capacitors, and super capacitors. Have issued patents on improved materials for super caps.
So was curious.
1. Why BioSolar? Company was started to develop a plant based rather than petroleum based plastic for solar panels. Public for several years. Not successful, as the current OTCQB quote for BSRC is $0.145. Yup, a classic ‘green’ penny stock.

2. UCSB sponsored research started July 2014. First joint patent filed 2/2016— for polymer hybrid super caps, NOT batteries. Batteries use either electrochemical redox or intercalation (standard ‘rocking chair’ lithium ion is the latter, lead acid and NiMH are the former). Super caps rely on the formation of a Helmholtz double layer at the interface of an electrolyte and a conducting solid. A capacitor, not a battery. So they apparently have no IPR filed yet on batteries.

3. They have never made and tested a battery cell. So all their claims about energy density are hypotheticals. Their website claim to longer cycle life is based on ‘stable redox chemistry compared to redox. That is bassackwards; redox usually has lower cycle life for fundamental electrochemical reasons. Maybe there is some not yet patented magic.

4. Conductive polymer batteries have been researched for a long time. I spent 1/2 hour doing a quick lit scan (abstracts only). Earliest paper found was 1991. Doped polypyrolle, not doped polyacteylene. As of late 2014 (a serious Chinese paper) there were still significant problems with cycle life degradation not solved in the lab. Several conductive polymer pouch cell battery startups in the mid to late 1990s aimed at mobile electronics because of form factor. While I was at MOT we tested every prototype we could get our hands on. All failed.

Color me more than just skeptical. Penny stock hype based on early lab results and no prototypes is something to stay away from to preserve financial health.

From comments..,

ristvan on April 8, 2016 at 11:48 am

Hate to be a damp blanket, but so be it. I happen to know a lot about electric energy storage, especially lithium ion batteries, pseudo capacitors, and super capacitors. Have issued patents on improved materials for super caps.
So was curious.
1. Why BioSolar? Company was started to develop a plant based rather than petroleum based plastic for solar panels. Public for several years. Not successful, as the current OTCQB quote for BSRC is $0.145. Yup, a classic ‘green’ penny stock.

2. UCSB sponsored research started July 2014. First joint patent filed 2/2016— for polymer hybrid super caps, NOT batteries. Batteries use either electrochemical redox or intercalation (standard ‘rocking chair’ lithium ion is the latter, lead acid and NiMH are the former). Super caps rely on the formation of a Helmholtz double layer at the interface of an electrolyte and a conducting solid. A capacitor, not a battery. So they apparently have no IPR filed yet on batteries.

3. They have never made and tested a battery cell. So all their claims about energy density are hypotheticals. Their website claim to longer cycle life is based on ‘stable redox chemistry compared to redox. That is bassackwards; redox usually has lower cycle life for fundamental electrochemical reasons. Maybe there is some not yet patented magic.

4. Conductive polymer batteries have been researched for a long time. I spent 1/2 hour doing a quick lit scan (abstracts only). Earliest paper found was 1991. Doped polypyrolle, not doped polyacteylene. As of late 2014 (a serious Chinese paper) there were still significant problems with cycle life degradation not solved in the lab. Several conductive polymer pouch cell battery startups in the mid to late 1990s aimed at mobile electronics because of form factor. While I was at MOT we tested every prototype we could get our hands on. All failed.

Color me more than just skeptical. Penny stock hype based on early lab results and no prototypes is something to stay away from to preserve financial health.

I agree with your last point (which doesn't mean anymore than I agree with the last point. It doesn't mean I disagree with any other points...ok). In general, stay away from Penny stocks.

There is flat out no demand for electronic cars. Right now, they aren't cost effective. If these batteries work, everyone will want an electronic car and car companies will happily manufacture them.

Someone should tell Tesla and its shareholders there's no demand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT