ADVERTISEMENT

This Ali documentary on PBS has been incredible…

Loved the documentary. But it was tough watching his demise. The Holmes fight was just plain sad. Felt horrible for both guys. Ali got pummeled and Holmes didn't want to punish his idol. A fight that should have never happened.

So many boxers hang on way too long, usually for $$ reasons. in hindsight, Ali should have walked away after the Foreman win, but he just couldn't do it.

The interpolitics with Ali, the Muslim Nation, Elijah Muhammad and Elijah's 2 sons was fascinating. Really never knew that part of the story.

When I was in HS, a bunch of us would go over to Deer Lake and watch him train for several different fights over the years. He was such a ham and outgoing he'd really ham it us with us, especially after he realized we were repeaters! He would call me the white kid with the afro. Italian I am!
I never saw him train at Deer Lake, but I did see him run down Rt 61 several times!! Stopped and did some jumping jacks at the Schuylkill Co CC.

Reactions: Bob78 and Meats Lab
I never saw him train at Deer Lake, but I did see him run down Rt 61 several times!! Stopped and did some jumping jacks at the Schuylkill Co CC.
My brother in law lived right off 61. Many times Ali would run right past his house and my BIL would yell go get’em champ and Ali always acknowledged him with a smile and wave.

Reactions: Bob78 and sluggo72
Loved the documentary. But it was tough watching his demise. The Holmes fight was just plain sad. Felt horrible for both guys. Ali got pummeled and Holmes didn't want to punish his idol. A fight that should have never happened.

So many boxers hang on way too long, usually for $$ reasons. in hindsight, Ali should have walked away after the Foreman win, but he just couldn't do it.

The interpolitics with Ali, the Muslim Nation, Elijah Muhammad and Elijah's 2 sons was fascinating. Really never knew that part of the story.
+1 to all of that.
I felt the same way about the recent Holyfield/Belfort fight. That should have NEVER been allowed to take place. I don't care how great of shape Holyfield was in.

Didn't the documentary state Ali was in bed with two women just prior to the fight-not good for the endurance? That with him going to his second wife and her helping him sort through paternity accusations (some of which she says he admitted could be true) was an interesting variation of womanizing.
All true.

Great story that the former camp owner shared with me. Elvis came to visit and arrived around 3 in the morning for fear of being seen. On the last day of his stay, he and Ali walked down Sculps Road and at the bottom which intersected Rt 61 was an old antique shop. Ali went inside and came out with a gift for Elvis and told him to take it home and put on his front lawn.

dd10ceedb3908cdea924761d2bc5c057--cement-lawn.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown
Ali in his prime vs. Frazier in his prime? Ali. Its not even close.

Shocker you would bring up the draft. I commend Ali for staying firm to his beliefs.

Ali was not only the greatest boxer ever but philanthropist as well.

Gotta disagree with you. It's a close call...but I have to go with Smokin' Joe. Certainly on that night in March 1971, when Ali was pretty close to his prime, Frazier was better.

If you read what I said, I didn't condemn Ali for not signing up. Far from it. Hell, an entire generation, our future Ruling Class of both parties, avoided service...one way or another. Why put it all on Ali?

Another thing my Dad said to me, in reference to Vietnam: there's no point fighting a war that nobody intends to win. Amen to that. Dad was ahead of his time.

Yet, the guys who went were still the best of us. They deserved to win...and fought well enough to win...but weren't given the chance. 50 years later, nothing has changed.

Gotta disagree with you. It's a close call...but I have to go with Smokin' Joe. Certainly on that night in March 1971, when Ali was pretty close to his prime, Frazier was better.

If you read what I said, I didn't condemn Ali for not signing up. Far from it. Hell, an entire generation, our future Ruling Class of both parties, avoided service...one way or another. Why put it all on Ali?

Another thing my Dad said to me, in reference to Vietnam: there's no point fighting a war that nobody intends to win. Amen to that. Dad was ahead of his time.

Yet, the guys who went were still the best of us. They deserved to win...and fought well enough to win...but weren't given the chance. 50 years later, nothing has changed.
I respect your response Jerry about the draft piece but not even close comparing Ali to Frazier. Ali was in exile for 3 years and omly had one fight before Frazier 1. Ali was not in his prime for Frazier 1. Ali in the 60’s would have obliviated Frazier.

Reactions: nits74
I grew up in the greatest heavyweight boxing era ever. I loved me some Joe Frazier as a kid, still do. I grew to love Ali as I got older, dude was smart af. I’m tearing up a little, watching my childhood go away… great show. 4 episodes.
I have it recording on the DVR now.

Reactions: Kellerdog
I respect your response Jerry about the draft piece but not even close comparing Ali to Frazier. Ali was in exile for 3 years and omly had one fight before Frazier 1. Ali was not in his prime for Frazier 1. Ali in the 60’s would have obliviated Frazier.

Ali in his prime versus Frazier in his prime. The closest we'll get to knowing was March 1971.

My money would be on Frazier...but totally understand the case for Ali.

Reactions: Meats Lab
Prime Ali, late 1966. Versus Cleveland Williams (no chump). The Ali of the 70s, including Ali - Frazier I was very formidable. But Ali, pre 3 year exile was incredible:

After the Williams fight, Ali should have asked that announcer "What's My Name" like he did to Floyd Patterson. There's no more disrespect than not addressing a person by the name he wants to be called.

Ali lost the prime years of his career, and understandably rushed into Frazier I without either enough time (5 months) or enough tune-up fights (2) to get into championship condition. The idea that he was in his prime just isn't accurate.

If you want to see just how dominant a fighter he was, watch the two Liston fights, where except for the round and a half or so when Liston stuck liniment into Ali's eyes he completely out classed the scariest heavyweight of the time (and in some opinions of all time)

Ali lost the prime years of his career, and understandably rushed into Frazier I without either enough time (5 months) or enough tune-up fights (2) to get into championship condition. The idea that he was in his prime just isn't accurate.

If you want to see just how dominant a fighter he was, watch the two Liston fights, where except for the round and a half or so when Liston stuck liniment into Ali's eyes he completely out classed the scariest heavyweight of the time (and in some opinions of all time)
Chuvalo and Norton both gave Ali problems and were never hurt.
Wepner was a 35 yr old tin can from Bayonne.
He knocked Ali down, and could have won the fight but for blood loss in the 15th.

Chuvalo and Norton both gave Ali problems and were never hurt.
Wepner was a 35 yr old tin can from Bayonne.
He knocked Ali down, and could have won the fight but for blood loss in the 15th.
name a fighter who never had a tough fight- because I can't

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT