ADVERTISEMENT

Things you don't see advertised on TV anymore (from the '50s, '60s)

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
Personal care products: Toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, mouthwash, bar soap, toilet paper
Home cleaning products: Laundry detergent, dish detergent, floor wax, furniture polish
Over-counter medicines: Headache products (now they are advertised for joint relief)
Food: Can soup, pasta
Televisions
Airlines

December 31, 1969 was the last day for tobacco advertising.

Can anyone add to this list?

Not sure what you are asking. I see most of al those products advertised. Pasta = Barilla. Airlines = Southwest. Shampoo = Selsen Blue. Laundry detergent = pods advertised all the time.

Personal care products: Toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, mouthwash, bar soap, toilet paper
Home cleaning products: Laundry detergent, dish detergent, floor wax, furniture polish
Over-counter medicines: Headache products (now they are advertised for joint relief)
Televisions
Airlines

Toothpaste, shampoo, and laundry detergent aren't advertised on TV anymore? When did that stop?

Watch old commercials from the late 70’s and early 80’s and notice how small and crappy the cars were.

Life cereal. The commercials stopped after Mikey's stomach exploded. Or so the story goes. :(

How about just cereals in general? As an 80s kid, Toucan Sam, Dig Em, Sugar Bear, the Honey Nut Bee, Frank 'n Berry, et al were staples of the cartoon circuit. Now, I think the only cereal mascot seen on a decent basis is Tony the Tiger and you only see him during the LLWS which has that Frosted Flakes sponsorship. Of course, I'm not the target market for cartoon character cereal mascots anymore and I don't have kids so maybe they're still being showcased on the Nickelodeon family of networks.

Perfume is not advertised that much anymore, but maybe that was a 70's and 80's thing.

Atlantic keeps your car on the go, go, go. So keep on the go with Atlantic!

Reactions: nits74
Televisions
Airlines

Airlines and televisions advertise all the time. Also pain relievers are still prevalent

Televisions
Airlines

Muriel Cigars.
Edie Adams. Light me up and smoke me sometime.

Reactions: Hartzie
Televisions
Airlines

Reactions: lionbacker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT