ADVERTISEMENT

There has been a great deal of consternation regarding the A9

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
trustees expressed here. I do not have any inside information to add to the decided lack of inside information we have gotten from Rob Tribeck's and Alice Pope's and Anthony Lubrano's posts here and on social media. (I will say they have likely told us all they are at liberty to say.)

What I have had is some time. Time while on vacation last week during which I fried my laptop by spilling a full 16 oz mug of coffee on it (cream, two Splendas), meaning therefore time during which I was essentially silent. I was silent because, when your fingers resemble two matched packs of Johnsonville Bratwurst, you cant type worth spit on a cell phone. Time to read and think and be unable to join in. So here is what I've got.

We all, whether fairly or not, had fairly high expectations going in to the election of Ira Lubert as Chair. Not expectations of winning, because 9 is not and will never be a majority on the PSU Board.

Expectations of what, then? That someone would call Ira out for his various conflicts of interest both predating the Sandusky case and since it first broke. Some of us I am sure dreamed of a weeping Ira Lubert, broken-hearted and sick at the notion that we all do not worship him, being led from the meeting hall in either handcuffs or a straitjacket, sobbing "I KNEW it was a mistake to screw Joe! I told Frazier and Surma not to do it!"

Well...it is fun to imagine, but perhaps just a wee bit outside the realm of possibility. We want to win, not just play for advantage in the future. We want to go for it on fourth down, not punt every time, right?

Well, I am pretty sure from what I know of them the A9 largely feel the same way. They have a bigger problem than us, though. They cannot afford to gamble and lose. They have to play the short field.

Information is being gathered from a variety of sources--the trustees are reviewing the Freeh docs, the OAG has showed a renewed interest in the 2d Mile. Those reviews should be done in a few months. Ira has to know those reviews are going forward. Moreover, these ancient civil suits have to be tried at some point, and the CSS cases have to end.

Masser is a dullard. He was never going to have the foresight to prepare the University to face what this new round of stuff they hid since '11 (and before) will mean when it comes out, but Ira, while he may be evil, is not stupid.

Remember that our A9 are Legislators, not executives. Remember also that they have put a lot of themselves into this for a very long time, and all the ones I know are pretty adept at not being fools on the subject of wasting their time on pipe dreams. Let's give them a chance to work it. Ira was going to be chair whatever they did. If there is anything to be gained by not spilling blood during this election, they would be more likely than you or me to know it.

It isn't like you got misled while the A9 kept a bunch of insiders informed--Maribeth Roman Schmidt was just as shocked as anyone here, and she personally has worked harder than any ten of us to get these people in place to have the chance to make this decision. Let's have a little faith. What are we going to do except watch and wait, anyhow?

We are no worse off than we would have been had they tied up the meeting thru procedural maneuvers then lost the vote 24-9 or whatever, and we may find that at the right moment, the chair will go for us. Lubert, distasteful as you may find him, is being given a chance to be The Man Who Saved Penn State. I think he just might be self-interested enough to take it.

Larry, that is a perfectly reasonable point of view. But I'm done being reasonable.

I don't give a damn about 'executive sessions", I want some reasons. And the clock isn't going to keep ticking very much longer.

Well, just last week, there was an article released in which Anthony Lubrano and Barb Doran were quoted. Others, who preferred to remain unnamed also commented. In the article, Anthony was quoted as saying “ "Lubert is going to face some scrutiny because he was the man in charge of the process,". "We plan to have some public conversations. What the alumni want more than anything else is openness, transparency, and it seems as if we haven't had a good-faith effort to do that." Barb Doran added, "Enough. The board is about to elect a chair and vice chair who were part of the fateful decision-making of 2011 that has ruined our reputation, made life difficult for proud Penn State alumni everywhere, and cost us 10s of millions of dollars that should have gone to the nearly 50 percent of students who are first in theirfamilies to go to college and whose finances are generally desperate."

Difficult to imagine how the A9 can go from the above to
A.) not raising any of the promised issues publicly
B.) not voting against, not abstaining, but voting in favor of Ira.
C.) then profusely praising Ira for his "leadership."
D.) after pleading for openness and transparency by the board, explain to their constituency simply "trust us, we got this."

Same thing that we were told for four and a half, going on five, years.

Last edited:
Well, just last week, there was an article released in which Anthony Lubrano and Barb Doran were quoted. Others, who preferred to remain unnamed also commented. In the article, Anthony was quoted as saying “ "Lubert is going to face some scrutiny because he was the man in charge of the process,". "We plan to have some public conversations. What the alumni want more than anything else is openness, transparency, and it seems as if we haven't had a good-faith effort to do that." Barb Doran added, "Enough. The board is about to elect a chair and vice chair who were part of the fateful decision-making of 2011 that has ruined our reputation, made life difficult for proud Penn State alumni everywhere, and cost us 10s of millions of dollars that should have gone to the nearly 50 percent of students who are first in theirfamilies to go to college and whose finances are generally desperate."

Difficult to imagine how th A9 can go from the above to
A.) not raising any of the promised issues publicly
B.) not voting against, not abstaining, but voting in favor of Ira.
C.) then profusely praising Ira for his "leadership."
D.) after pleading for openness and transparency by the board, explain to their constituency simply "trust us, we got this."

Same thing that we were told for four and a half, going on five, years.
How long before they backtrack and say it was a mistake? How many times have we heard that? I appreciate the work Lubrano and others have done up until this vote. But IMHO a vote for Lubert is unfathomable regardless of the result.

Dem, I am thinking of the Bernie activists actions today at the Dem convention. Will it result in Sanders being appointed over Clinton. No! Will it make a statement. Yes! Will it result in change. Maybe? If they do nothing, will anything change. No!
If they create enough chaos they will elect Donald Trump. You left that one out. They got their fingerprints all over the platform, they got rid of DWS. That is about all the change you can count on when you LOSE the election(s).

That said, there are still differences. The BOT is elected to govern. The delegates are elected to vote once or twice or three times for the guy they were pledged to. Then they go home. the delegates are a lot more like us, spectators, than they are like legislators.

You may be right in the end. I just want to find out. Everyone would prefer some master stroke that knocks out the other side. Those are rare though. Faith.

In the article, Anthony was quoted as saying “ "Lubert is going to face some scrutiny because he was the man in charge of the process,". "We plan to have some public conversations. What the alumni want more than anything else is openness, transparency, and it seems as if we haven't had a good-faith effort to do that." Barb Doran added, "Enough. The board is about to elect a chair and vice chair who were part of the fateful decision-making of 2011 that has ruined our reputation, made life difficult for proud Penn State alumni everywhere, and cost us 10s of millions of dollars that should have gone to the nearly 50 percent of students

^^^THIS! What happened to that "public conversation"?

Dem: I assign considerable weight to your opinion, and place a high value on the contributions Anthony Lubrano has made, so I am not ready to mount the barricades, but I am not at all sure that "we are not worse off than we would have been" had the A9 tied up the meeting or (more simply) voted against Lubert. At minimum, the optics look bad, and it gives Lubert and Co. the ability to point to his election and say "Mismanagement? What mismanagement? Ira was elected by unanimous vote." The vote pretty much obligates the A9 to provide an explanation, and the one Anthony provided on another thread was cryptic, to say the least:

"We have much work to finish. My fervent belief is that our decision yesterday got us closer to the completion of that work. We'll know soon enough.

As I told Ira, now he has to earn it."

If there was some horse trading, the A9 should at least say something that more clearly suggests that was the case. If the A9 got nothing other than a vague promise of cooperation from Ira, then (IMO) they gave up a whole lot more than what they got.

Even contemplating the notion that Ira Lubert could be The Man Who Saved Penn State seems comical to me.

trustees expressed here. I do not have any inside information to add to the decided lack of inside information we have gotten from Rob Tribeck's and Alice Pope's and Anthony Lubrano's posts here and on social media. (I will say they have likely told us all they are at liberty to say.)

What I have had is some time. Time while on vacation last week during which I fried my laptop by spilling a full 16 oz mug of coffee on it (cream, two Splendas), meaning therefore time during which I was essentially silent. I was silent because, when your fingers resemble two matched packs of Johnsonville Bratwurst, you cant type worth spit on a cell phone. Time to read and think and be unable to join in. So here is what I've got.

We all, whether fairly or not, had fairly high expectations going in to the election of Ira Lubert as Chair. Not expectations of winning, because 9 is not and will never be a majority on the PSU Board.

Expectations of what, then? That someone would call Ira out for his various conflicts of interest both predating the Sandusky case and since it first broke. Some of us I am sure dreamed of a weeping Ira Lubert, broken-hearted and sick at the notion that we all do not worship him, being led from the meeting hall in either handcuffs or a straitjacket, sobbing "I KNEW it was a mistake to screw Joe! I told Frazier and Surma not to do it!"

Well...it is fun to imagine, but perhaps just a wee bit outside the realm of possibility. We want to win, not just play for advantage in the future. We want to go for it on fourth down, not punt every time, right?

Well, I am pretty sure from what I know of them the A9 largely feel the same way. They have a bigger problem than us, though. They cannot afford to gamble and lose. They have to play the short field.

Information is being gathered from a variety of sources--the trustees are reviewing the Freeh docs, the OAG has showed a renewed interest in the 2d Mile. Those reviews should be done in a few months. Ira has to know those reviews are going forward. Moreover, these ancient civil suits have to be tried at some point, and the CSS cases have to end.

Masser is a dullard. He was never going to have the foresight to prepare the University to face what this new round of stuff they hid since '11 (and before) will mean when it comes out, but Ira, while he may be evil, is not stupid.

Remember that our A9 are Legislators, not executives. Remember also that they have put a lot of themselves into this for a very long time, and all the ones I know are pretty adept at not being fools on the subject of wasting their time on pipe dreams. Let's give them a chance to work it. Ira was going to be chair whatever they did. If there is anything to be gained by not spilling blood during this election, they would be more likely than you or me to know it.

It isn't like you got misled while the A9 kept a bunch of insiders informed--Maribeth Roman Schmidt was just as shocked as anyone here, and she personally has worked harder than any ten of us to get these people in place to have the chance to make this decision. Let's have a little faith. What are we going to do except watch and wait, anyhow?

We are no worse off than we would have been had they tied up the meeting thru procedural maneuvers then lost the vote 24-9 or whatever, and we may find that at the right moment, the chair will go for us. Lubert, distasteful as you may find him, is being given a chance to be The Man Who Saved Penn State. I think he just might be self-interested enough to take it.

They did the right thing!
I support them !

If they create enough chaos they will elect Donald Trump. You left that one out. They got their fingerprints all over the platform, they got rid of DWS. That is about all the change you can count on when you LOSE the election(s).

That said, there are still differences. The BOT is elected to govern. The delegates are elected to vote once or twice or three times for the guy they were pledged to. Then they go home. the delegates are a lot more like us, spectators, than they are like legislators.

You may be right in the end. I just want to find out. Everyone would prefer some master stroke that knocks out the other side. Those are rare though. Faith.
Or the Democratic party will make changes to address their concerns and win in a landslide. or lose in one Or they will make their point and back Clinton (which is most likely). Or a new party will arise. Or the system will grind them down like it did to the anti-Trumps. The outcome is uncertain. But what we do know is that they voted for Lubert and thus they support him. .

Let's see, we have a new guy at the helm and in an executive session, discussions were held with the A9. What could possibly happened to have changed their position so quickly and drastically? Maybe, just maybe, Ira promised an open-ness that has been missing for 5 years. Maybe Ira promised to change the narrative and asked for a little time to get there. Maybe Al said he would give him XX time and changes were absolutely promised. All I do know is that new management almost always is given an opportunity to succeed. Has AL and the A9 given Ira his opportunity. He has been given his rope, he'll either swing with it or hang from it BUT he must be given some time to make anything happen. Management can be both good or bad. AL gave a passioned speech on leadership. I'm willing to see what he has in his plans. He has been and I'm sure is a passionate supporter of the truth! JMO.

Let's see, we have a new guy at the helm and in an executive session, discussions were held with the A9. What could possibly happened to have changed their position so quickly and drastically? Maybe, just maybe, Ira promised an open-ness that has been missing for 5 years. Maybe Ira promised to change the narrative and asked for a little time to get there. Maybe Al said he would give him XX time and changes were absolutely promised. All I do know is that new management almost always is given an opportunity to succeed. Has AL and the A9 given Ira his opportunity. He has been given his rope, he'll either swing with it or hang from it BUT he must be given some time to make anything happen. Management can be both good or bad. AL gave a passioned speech on leadership. I'm willing to see what he has in his plans. He has been and I'm sure is a passionate supporter of the truth! JMO.
I would like to agree with you, but we know the history of Lubert.
09-28-14-FINANCIAL%2BREPRESSION-Wolves_Guard_Hen_House-On-Guard.jpg

Or the Democratic party will make changes to address their concerns and win in a landslide. or lose in one Or they will make their point and back Clinton (which is most likely). Or a new party will arise. Or the system will grind them down like it did to the anti-Trumps. The outcome is uncertain. But what we do know is that they voted for Lubert and thus they support him. .
They already made the changes they are going to make. The platform and the head of the DNC are changed.

Dem: I assign considerable weight to your opinion, and place a high value on the contributions Anthony Lubrano has made, so I am not ready to mount the barricades, but I am not at all sure that "we are not worse off than we would have been" had the A9 tied up the meeting or (more simply) voted against Lubert. At minimum, the optics look bad, and it gives Lubert and Co. the ability to point to his election and say "Mismanagement? What mismanagement? Ira was elected by unanimous vote." The vote pretty much obligates the A9 to provide an explanation, and the one Anthony provided on another thread was cryptic, to say the least:

"We have much work to finish. My fervent belief is that our decision yesterday got us closer to the completion of that work. We'll know soon enough.

As I told Ira, now he has to earn it."

If there was some horse trading, the A9 should at least say something that more clearly suggests that was the case. If the A9 got nothing other than a vague promise of cooperation from Ira, then (IMO) they gave up a whole lot more than what they got.

Even contemplating the notion that Ira Lubert could be The Man Who Saved Penn State seems comical to me.
But he is the chair. He is the only candidate.

Dem

The reason people want one master stroke is because that is how we all perceive it went with Joe. One master stroke.

Maybe it was not that and that the BoT was planning on blaming Joe all along, but that is what we saw. One master stroke. And that us how some want it addressed in return.

Reactions: jubaaltman
They already made the changes they are going to make. The platform and the head of the DNC are changed.
And those changes might not be enough. Regardless, I do respect your opinion Dem. We are going to disagree. I believe they were wrong on this one. I hope they will prove me wrong. Despite my disappointment, they are still our representatives until they are not.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Some important reminders on leadership from Sun-Tzu:

1. A leader leads by example, not by force
  2. Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.
  3. The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
  4. Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy’s resistance without fighting.
  5. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
  6. Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.
  7. Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate.
  8. All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is wisdom to this approach so let the venom out now and wait to see what happens.

We are no worse off than we would have been had they tied up the meeting thru procedural maneuvers then lost the vote 24-9 or whatever, and we may find that at the right moment, the chair will go for us
Larry -

You KNOW that isn't true

I can't imagine how we could be any MORE "worse off"

And today, tomorrow, next month or next year - when it becomes clear to everyone what the "deal with the Devil" was that the A9 made -

under OUR authority -

and the mouth breathers and the "409ers" are masturbating in the streets -

those of us who SHOULD know better - - - but acquiesced -

will have driven a stake through the heart of Penn State

Likely, forever

I would hate to go back to "square 1" in this whole debacle - - not after so much has been sacrificed by so many - - - but that option would be FAR preferable to the path that the A9 has begun to lead us down

Last edited:
The BOT is not a democracy of any kind, not representative...it is a super majority of appointees with 9 elected positions that are hood ornaments to placate or pacify the alumni of this university..... the 9 are a salve that puts us to sleep....and clearly this is more effective in putting us to sleep than any opiate or anesthetic on the market today. Lubert has to do nothing and nothing the 9 will find out will make a difference to him one way or another. In order to see the documents, the alumni elected members had to agree to non disclosure of details....an f'ing gag order...... seriously.... only leaks can make a difference.... and yet only a small difference and Lubert knows this as well.

There will never be any significant change until there is a constitutional amendment in PA which allows change. Otherwise, only the CSS cases, which will never come to trial or the Second Mile investigations (too late to be meaningful) could open the door a little.

The only other possibility is to get someone like Aaron Fishers sister or someone like her to wear a wire..... that might do some good.

When the whores are responsible for administering the whore house.... you can bet they will not abolish tricks and vote to become a nunnery .

A reminder in case anyone needed one. This is the man the A9 support.

"Lubert was on the "move forward" bandwagon -- advocating for it so the OAG investigation would start and stop with the PSU football program and Paterno. The BOT tried to sell "moving foward" to the PSU community by claiming to save football from the wrath of the Big Bad NCAA." http://notpsu.blogspot.ca/2016/06/feckless-exhibit-1-ira-lubert.html

Last edited:
Larry -

You KNOW that isn't true

And today, tomorrow, next month or next year - when it becomes clear to everyone what "deal with the Devil" was that the A9 made - under OUR authority - and the mouth breathers and the "409ers" are masturbating in the streets - those of us who SHOULD know better - - - but acquiesced - - - will have driven a stake through the heart of Penn State

Likely, forever
I know no such thing. So they delay Ira's election-- then what?

Thank you Mr Dambly

.???

I'm being serious. Having been seated on a very large board at one point in my career, I am very well aware of how one can have an impact from a position of weakness.

I believe they did the right thing and I believe we will see an impact from this.... Therefore, I (continue to) support them !

I know no such thing. So they delay Ira's election-- then what?
Really?

Well, for one - for one rare instance they fulfill their duty as fiduciaries.......and maybe they DON'T incinerate every shred of credibility that they - and WE, by proxy - have worked so hard to establish, and have sacrificed so much for, over the last 5 years
The idea of ANY of the A9 - and US, by proxy - speaking out for "fiduciary responsibility", or "righteous board reform" is now laughable ......hypocritical to a level even the Scoundrels never reached
They - and US, by proxy - should rightfully be laughed out of any discussion of righteous governance ......at least unless and until we assume OUR responsibilities and place responsible fiduciaries into those seats

You and I both know the number of folks involved in this whole deal who REALLY prioritize righteous, accountable, stakeholder-driven governance is VERY small - - - and all the others are incredibly easy to pander to.

I expect we both know that when the "presents" of the deal are revealed - - - - - after those few who are REALLY advocates of responsible stewardship stay silent about these actions (or even SUPPORT them) - - - the gig is up

Any further efforts will be like trying to convince a crack-head to "just say no"

Just that - for starters :)

Of course - when we get:

1 - Public Repudiation of the Freeh Report (out of the mouths of a bunch of self-interested rascals and lieing scumbags........BFD)

2 - 409 (Chug!!!)

3 - Statues (Yippee!)

And

4 - Leather Seats (maybe even a few more seats than the existing 9? Perhaps? LOL) and a wrap around for the members of the A9 (Ain't "governance" just grand)

It will all be worth it

:)

I too am on the phone - with fat fingers - so, tomorrow?

Last edited:
.???

I'm being serious. Having been seated on a very large board at one point in my career, I am very well aware of how one can have an impact from a position of weakness.

I believe they did the right thing and I believe we will see an impact from this.... Therefore, I (continue to) support them !

You believe they did the right thing. Fine, I believe they were, um, what's the word, oh, FECKLESS!!

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
Larry -

You KNOW that isn't true

And today, tomorrow, next month or next year - when it becomes clear to everyone what the "deal with the Devil" was that the A9 made -

under OUR authority -

and the mouth breathers and the "409ers" are masturbating in the streets -

those of us who SHOULD know better - - - but acquiesced -

will have driven a stake through the heart of Penn State

Likely, forever

I would hate to go back to "square 1" in this whole debacle - - not after so much has been sacrificed by so many - - - but that option would be FAR preferable to the path that the A9 has begun to lead us down
I guess we have to face it, it is over. PSU will forever be tarred and certain individuals are going to get away with hiding their involvement in the Sandusky affair. Life is not fair.

Reactions: Bobpsu
There wouldn't have to be a "delay" in anything. The voting could have proceeded with the A9 voting "no". Sure, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. But they could have taken a principled stand.
Empty gesture.

Empty gesture.
"Empty" gesture?

Seriously?
As opposed to saying "Aye"....and in OUR NAME, under OUR AUTHORITY.....giving OUR unanimous approval (not to mention the plethora of public on-the-record platitudes) to Lubert as the BOT Chair?

Seriously?

I can't believe what I am reading.........when did Pod-People take over my friends Internet

Good heavens Dem. You are digging a hole. There is no grey here. They are now on public record that they support IRA FRACKIN' LUBERT. And gave a big middle finger to PS4RS and alumni like me who voted for them.

Good heavens Dem. You are digging a hole. There is no grey here. They are now on public record that they support IRA FRACKIN' LUBERT. And gave a big middle finger to PS4RS and alumni like me who voted for them.

Dem wants to be one of them, and now he's acting like all of them.

Reactions: Judge Smails
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT