ADVERTISEMENT

There are parallels to 99 -part II

Hugh Manatee

May 29, 2001
Central Florida
Once again, just like 99, we suffered a difficult loss and thought we were out of the running when there was lots of football to be played.

That team didn’t recover mentally and lost their last two games, thinking that the loss to Minny cost them everything when they were still very much in the NC picture. We just have to jump three spots and we’re in.

Lots of things can change between now and 4 weeks from now. OSU looked very average against OU, but found some motivation from the beating they took. We need to realize we are in an excellent situation. Think about it, who has the best loss of the 1 loss teams?

Last edited:
huge game this weekend at Sparty. I feel like, if we beat Sparty, we run the table with R, Neb and MD. I am a little concerned about Sparty, away, if Bates can't play.

The team will get stronger from this. Michigan state will find that out soon enough.

huge game this weekend at Sparty. I feel like, if we beat Sparty, we run the table with R, Neb and MD. I am a little concerned about Sparty, away, if Bates can't play.
Agree. You know Dantonio will do what he has to in order to stop Barkley, and that can be done easier without Bates at LT. PSU will need to be smart on offense; I do think the defense will come on strong.

Not sure what the early start means

That team didn’t recover mentally and lost their last two games, thinking that the loss to Minny cost them everything when they were still very much in the NC picture. We just have to jump three spots and we’re in.

Lots of things can change between now and 4 weeks from now. OSU looked very average against OU, but found some motivation from the beating they took. We need to realize we are in an excellent situation. Think about it, who has the best loss of the 1 loss teams?

We don't know how many spots we need to jump and the committee can, and has, reshuffle the deck at any point based on whatever criteria they want. That's how OSU jumped the big 12 schools a few years back. That said, just need to be one of 4 teams that finish with 1 loss or better.

Don’t see it either. Completely different animal in dozens of ways to ‘99 - not the least of which is the B1G Championship Game, Playoff Structure, and team leadership. Franklin may still have to figure out how to put good teams away on the road, but his teams are mentally tough and don’t quit. See last year for all the proof you need.

It was a tough loss, people need to deal with it.
Certainly. In the large scheme of things, a loss in a football game is meaningless. I think most get that. But, this board is dedicated to discussion of all things PSU related, particularity football. Given that, you're going to have this sort of thing so soon after a game like that. So, "dealing with it" works both ways.

Certainly. In the large scheme of things, a loss in a football game is meaningless. I think most get that. But, this board is dedicated to discussion of all things PSU related, particularity football. Given that, you're going to have this sort of thing so soon after a game like that. So, "dealing with it" works both ways.
Plenty of things to question, but sometimes stupid emotional people tend to post the most and loudest following a close loss.

Plenty of things to question, but sometimes stupid emotional people tend to post the most and loudest following a close loss.

What were your thoughts on the game? Certainly nothing compares to a teething one year old (give or take, right?) but I don’t know that I saw your thoughts or impressions.

Reactions: Obliviax
Saturday's game reminded me quite a bit of the 1999 Michigan game.

Michigan was stronger in the trenches but we were still winning throughout. But we couldn't close. JT Barrett was absolutely "en fuego" (on fire) at the end, just like Tom Brady was.

All that said, I do think we're a mentally stronger team than in 1999. That 1999 team showed some cracks, if one was paying attention, well before the 3 November losses.

Plus the system is different now vs. 1999. After the Minnesota loss, we were pretty much done. Our chances aren't great now but definitely larger than they were in 1999.

Are you joking?

1999 team had no offense.

2017 team has offense and defense.

LdN

Reactions: Hugh Manatee
What were your thoughts on the game? Certainly nothing compares to a teething one year old (give or take, right?) but I don’t know that I saw your thoughts or impressions.

Tough loss. OL and DL were outmatched and even more so once Bates and Ryan Bucholz went down. Toney is 25 pounds away from playing every down. Simmons isn't there yet as is Matos. No Brown and Buchholz and it hurt. I'm wondering if Given's shifts out wide this week?

The early lead led to the staff IMO running more on first down then they should have. This team has to pass on first down more than run..it's that simple. OSU crashed down on SB and Trace all night long and PSU had no answer except when Trace moved his feet and made some plays.

PSU is getting more talented with each passing year and the gap is closing on terms of talent. PSU was absolutely the more discipline team and IF, big IF OSU were to play Bama like that, they lose by 2 TD's. I said a few weeks back if we can get through this stretch 2-1 that PSU will be in the conversation at the end of the year. We'll see what happens this weekend, but I'm hoping they bounce back. It's a fun group to to watch play...great chemistry and they seem like a great bunch on and off the field.

Tough loss. OL and DL were outmatched and even more so once Bates and Ryan Bucholz went down. Toney is 25 pounds away from playing every down. Simmons isn't there yet as is Matos. No Brown and Buchholz and it hurt. I'm wondering if Given's shifts out wide this week?

The early lead led to the staff IMO running more on first down then they should have. This team has to pass on first down more than run..it's that simple. OSU crashed down on SB and Trace all night long and PSU had no answer except when Trace moved his feet and made some plays.

PSU is getting more talented with each passing year and the gap is closing on terms of talent. PSU was absolutely the more discipline team and IF, big IF OSU were to play Bama like that, they lose by 2 TD's. I said a few weeks back if we can get through this stretch 2-1 that PSU will be in the conversation at the end of the year. We'll see what happens this weekend, but I'm hoping they bounce back. It's a fun group to to watch play...great chemistry and they seem like a great bunch on and off the field.

Well said - think Toney has the frame to add that much weight?

Certainly the loss makes all the big games going forward that much more interesting for Penn State fans.

Well said - think Toney has the frame to add that much weight?

Certainly the loss makes all the big games going forward that much more interesting for Penn State fans.

I think so, but how quickly...I don't know. He is a RS frosh and I know in today game people need it now, but by the time he is a RS junior 25 more pounds is possible IMO.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

One can only hope that fateful day in 1999 is far behind us, and its impact never to be repeated.

This was my biggest problem with the way the second half played out as well. Just did not understand the thinking behind it. Not to be critical, of course.;) Seriously though, good analysis.

Saturday's game reminded me quite a bit of the 1999 Michigan game.

Michigan was stronger in the trenches but we were still winning throughout. But we couldn't close. JT Barrett was absolutely "en fuego" (on fire) at the end, just like Tom Brady was.

All that said, I do think we're a mentally stronger team than in 1999. That 1999 team showed some cracks, if one was paying attention, well before the 3 November losses.

Plus the system is different now vs. 1999. After the Minnesota loss, we were pretty much done. Our chances aren't great now but definitely larger than they were in 1999.
1999, Brady was my thinking too. I did not think at the beginning of the 4th quarter that JT could pull a Brady, but the thought crossed my mine. JT then took care of business. :(
I do think these kids will play hard and hopefully win out.

This was my biggest problem with the way the second half played out as well. Just did not understand the thinking behind it. Not to be critical, of course.;) Seriously though, good analysis.
I think the staff kept waiting for SB to hit one more homerun for them...they need to realize the other guys can make plays too.

Last edited:

Actually if you really think back to that day - we were not out yet after Minnesota loss - but a few hours later. That same night it looked like Virginia Tech was going to lose to WVU, which would have left us in the NC race. However, VT somehow pulled it out and it was clear they were not losing the rest of the way.

Actually if you really think back to that day - we were not out yet after Minnesota loss - but a few hours later. That same night it looked like Virginia Tech was going to lose to WVU, which would have left us in the NC race. However, VT somehow pulled it out and it was clear they were not losing the rest of the way.

True - forgot WVU/VT was that same day. Huge run by Vick down the sideline to set up the game-winning FG, can still picture it.

I can't see Franklin letting that happen.

You can’t have a parallel until it happens.

True - forgot WVU/VT was that same day. Huge run by Vick down the sideline to set up the game-winning FG, can still picture it.

Yeah, me too. That was really tough to take after the Minnesota game.

Michael Vick was the best college football player I ever watched and it was a shame they didn't quite complete the comeback vs. FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT