ADVERTISEMENT

The Ultimate List of Unrighteous Hypocrites. Re: Those who Threw Stones at Penn State & Joe Paterno

Note: JOE PATERNO is the only one in this entire group who properly REPORTED to his superior Tim Curley and further REPORTED to the Head of Police Gary Schultz and further FOLLOWED UP with ear-witness Mike McQueary on a story that PSU ultimately REPORTED outside of the university to Children & Youth Services case-worker Jack Raykovitz who also served as President/CEO of Jerry Sandusky's employer at The Second Mile. It was TSM Prez/CEO Jack Raykovitz who blew the chain of command in reporting when he told TSM director Bruce Heim who instructed him to bury the report. Raykovitz somehow maintains his PA-issued license to practice psychology to this very day.

D5gNSZCWwAEAfBW
Great stuff Chi town. If you haven't you should forward that synopsis to some in the media especially those who just want to raise hell. maybe they will.

from Glass Houses of Their Own.

This is the thread to chronicle everyone and anyone who's ever had a single bad word to say about Penn State and/or Joe Paterno (and/or our "toxic culture") in response to The Second Mile's Jerry Sandusky scandal.

I'll kick things off with an easy example. Lou Anna Simon who led the charge with Sally Mason from the University of Iowa to throw Penn State out of the Big Ten Conference. Yes, there was an informal vote taken about booting Penn State out of the Big Ten. @Zenophile might be able to point you to some good 3rd-party sources of information.

1. Lou Anna Simon at Michigan State.
  • Larry Nassar sexually abused 332-plus victims who settled with MSU. (link)
  • 14-plus MSU employees reportedly "knew" and did nothing. (link)
  • "I started at the University of Michigan, working with Bo Schembechler and the football program." - Michigan graduate Larry Nassar (link)
C443XhnUYAABn2C
C443XhrVYAA6BJH
To my recollection, this is the only (publicly available) documented mention of the B1G's threat of expulsion to PSU, though I suspect @JmmyW could likely provide others. From the Corman deposition of Mark Emmert:
CzANf4yXEAAkFLE.jpg

Reactions: ChiTownLion
How can any of you forget John Surma, Joel Meyers or Paul Suhey? They led the charge the night Joe was fired (without a vote during an improperly noticed BOT meeting).

Add to this list Tom Corbett who threatened to withhold his support for PSU in Harrisburg if the BOT did not terminate Dr Spanier and Joe.

And then there’s Ken Frazier and Ron Tomalis who led the sham Investigative Task Force.

Oh yes, let’s not forget Ira Lubert.

Peetz, Masser and the others were bit players. Deer in the headlights if you will.

Vic Surma and Vicky Triponey, “the Woman who took on JoePa.” What a myth.

We cannot forget one of Pittsburgh’s most perfect A$$HOLES, Dejan Kovacievic. Here is a sample of his assholery...
https://archive.triblive.com/news/kovacevic-cut-penn-states-sanctions-sure-for-right-reasons/
Here is my best iPhone effort to paste his claptrap...
Bill O’Brien is one tough B.O.B. Give him that, no matter your feelings about Penn State or your fandom in college football. The man took on an impossible challenge amid the stench and sanctions of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and he stirringly came up roses.

Coach of the year?

Try coach of forever.

Because of that, and, infinitely more important, because of concrete action the university and O’Brien have taken to address child abuse, I hope the NCAA considers reducing its sanctions on the football program.

Really, I do.

But there’s a catch: It’s got to be the university and O’Brien leading the charge.

Not the Paterno wackos.

Excuse the brusque term. It’s not meant to be broad. Rather, it isolates on the small, radical but strangely influential wing of alumni who prioritize the exoneration of Joe Paterno over, you know, serial child rape.

They can’t be allowed to prevail here.

They can’t be allowed to succeed through the May lawsuit filed by the Paterno family and others — not the university — that purports to seek the elimination of sanctions but, in reality, is a transparent attempt to clear Paterno of the public perception that he enabled the monster Sandusky.

That’s all the lawsuit is about. It’s got nothing to do with football or current or future athletes, and absolutely nothing to do with, you know, serial child rape. The naive thinking is that, if the NCAA loses, the Freeh Report is discredited, Paterno’s statue comes out of storage, and it’s a Happy Valley all over again.

The good part: It won’t win.

The NCAA will never cave on any aspect of its ruling — $60 million fine, four-year postseason ban, loss of scholarships — if it’s seen as an exoneration of anyone involved. And you’d better believe that includes Paterno, lest anyone forgets how boldly — but rightly — NCAA president Mark Emmert stripped away those 111 coaching wins.

The bad part: The Paterno wackos still muddle the process of what the university and the coach hope to get done.

So, what’s O’Brien to do?

Fortunately, he’s tough and smart. He’s learned to suffer the fools around him, including the cardboard caricature formerly known as Franco Harris. He’s learned to avoid the scandal and, most deftly, Paterno. (Yes, some lingering JoePa worshippers in the Central Pennsylvania media still ask O’Brien about him.)

O’Brien’s top priority must be to hold firm to that stance, and he’s off to a great start. Listen to this from a conference call Friday: “I understand exactly why the sanctions are in place. It’s about putting an end to child abuse. It’s about the victims. I get that. I really do. And we’re doing our part to put an end to child abuse. But at the same time, I want to do what’s right for this program, and I think this program is headed in the right direction in behaving well.”

Tough and smart.

O’Brien didn’t indicate if/when Penn State might approach the NCAA, but he stressed it would be through discussion, not legal action. He expressed hope the NCAA could “meet us halfway.” Maybe it will happen soon. Tuesday marks the one-year anniversary of the sanctions.

Here’s hoping that works out to the satisfaction of all.

But here’s also hoping O’Brien continues to keep the Paterno wackos at arm’s length, as their public image only deteriorates by the day.

Happen to catch the item on Deadspin.com the other day?

It told of how the folks behind Framingpaterno.com — that’s what it’s called, I swear — uncovered legit documentation of Paterno being interviewed by the state attorney general’s office Oct. 24, 2011, just before Sandusky’s arrest. Most of the interview is about the infamous 2001 incident when then-assistant coach Mike McQueary told Paterno of witnessing a sexual encounter between Sandusky and a young boy in the Lasch Building showers. It’s the example most used to illustrate Paterno knew of Sandusky’s behavior and took no action beyond telling his immediate superiors a full day later.

In this extraordinary interview — and who knows why Framingpaterno.com put it out? — Paterno acknowledges McQueary told him he saw “touching … whatever you want to call them, privates.” Paterno uses the term “sexual” four times in reference to what McQueary described.

Paterno’s lone defense for staying silent for a decade: “I have no authority over Jerry.”

There’s more, all damning.

Asked if he’d ever heard back from those superiors as to what action had been taken on Sandusky, Paterno replied: “No, no, I didn’t. I had other things to do. We had … as I said, Jerry was not working for me.”

That’s a smoking gun no one should have to pick Up.

2. Former NCAA Chairman & OSU Provost Ed Ray, Former OSU President Gordon Gee and current OSU Athletic Director Gene Smith at Ohio State.
  • Richard Strauss sexually abused 177-2,000 student-athletes at THE OSU.
  • "The report found that Strauss' behavior was an open secret to more than 50 staff members in Ohio State's athletic department." (CNN link)
  • "We estimate that Strauss sexually assaulted and/or raped a minimum of 1,500/2,000 athletes at OSU from 1978 through 1998." (NBC News link)
Here's a few emails that I've exchanged with Ed Ray over the years. Notice how he straight-up lied about having read the Freeh Report "several times."

Dh7Okn0XcAIGdke
Dh7Okn2XcAAdLsK

Dh7Okn2X4AUi__r

A few of Ed's responses to me:

B2LLnO5IUAAxYBu

B2LE_q9IcAA8h_R

Edward Ray
| President, Oregon State University
Office: 541-737-4133
Fax: 541-737-3033
Email: Ed.Ray@OregonState.edu
Chi

Adding another response from Ed Ray, that seems more than a little hypocritical right now......looking forward to him admitting his mistakes, tongue firmly in cheek

Dear Matt:
This is the only case in my now completed 5 1/3 years serving on the executive committee of the NCAA in which the executive committee and the Division I Board have been presented with and asked to determine a set of punitive and corrective measures that would resolve enforcement matters, except for any forthcoming disclosures regarding individual culpability. I know of no other major case that was resolved by a consent decree, which as you know is signed on behalf of both parties.

The Freeh Report, the Sandusky investigation and the trial information and perhaps other information prompted the president and board of trustees of Penn State University to seek closure through a consent decree. I have no idea how fully the various parties involved relied on any given set of information to make that decision. The executive committee and the Division I Board voted unanimously for the package of actions announced at the press conference as adequate to reach closure without further institutional investigations. Those groups consist of about 30 presidents and chancellors from all three divisions of the NCAA.

To me, this case was unique because of the conspiracy of silence that was maintained over more than a decade, while the same and new victims were harmed. I was one of those 30 votes and others would have to speak for themselves. We did consider the suspension of play or death penalty and voted by a substantial majority in each group not to include it in the proposed consent decree package.

Also, I chaired those meetings and I know that there was no discussion of threats if the consent decree was not accepted. My presumption is that the usual enforcement process, which could take a year or two to reach a conclusion would have followed and in that process the possibility of the death penalty could have been considered by the Committee on Infractions which would have heard the case. Was there a real risk that the normal process would lead to a suspension of play for a year or more? Yes! So, there was a real risk of the death penalty if the consent decree was not signed but it was not in the package the two committees approved and we did not authorize any threats.

I hope this helps. I have no idea what interview you are referring to and I hope I have no more. My regret is that no one connected to Penn State has actually said "we made a lot of mistakes and innocent children suffered. We need to deal with the elements of the consent decree and ensure that nothing like this happens again." This case is not about what the NCAA did to Penn State. This case is about the actions and inactions of leaders at Penn State that led to horrible abuse of innocent children.
The acceptance of the consent decree and the appointment of a monitor for the changes to be implemented give me encouragement that the right things will be done.

You mention many other horrible cases and ask why the NCAA acted as it did
in this case. Again, speaking only for myself, we were asked to consider acceptable elements for a consent decree to close this institutional case and we did that. One can only deal with the matters brought before him/her to the best of one's ability.

Ed

Chi
You mention many other horrible cases and ask why the NCAA acted as it did
in this case. Again, speaking only for myself, we were asked to consider acceptable elements for a consent decree to close this institutional case and we did that. One can only deal with the matters brought before him/her to the best of one's ability.

Ed

PSU: Alleged victims came from TSM and involved ex-employee. Not one alleged victim reported any abuse to PSU administration/officials.

MSU: Active Athletes; Active university Doctor; ~400 documented cases; Scores of reports to University officials who summarily dismissed the complaints

OSU: Nearly 200 cases cited involving an active university doctor and active athletes. Scores of reports to University officials who summarily dismissed the complaints.

One of these things is not like the other.

You tell me where there is a lack of institutional control?

How about that morning show host in Philly, Cataldi and his sidekick, Temple fanatic Rhea Hughes. He had to know about Conlin, and she of Cosby.

Don Van Natta Jr. wrote the best article on the sanctions and if you've ever worked in big biz and/or with lawyers you know this is complete BS. According to this, they came up with the Consent Decree, costing millions and millions of dollars, in two days if they are to be believed.

Reactions: Zenophile
Note: JOE PATERNO is the only one in this entire group who properly REPORTED to his superior Tim Curley and further REPORTED to the Head of Police Gary Schultz and further FOLLOWED UP with ear-witness Mike McQueary on a story that PSU ultimately REPORTED outside of the university to Children & Youth Services case-worker Jack Raykovitz who also served as President/CEO of Jerry Sandusky's employer at The Second Mile. It was TSM Prez/CEO Jack Raykovitz who blew the chain of command in reporting when he told TSM director Bruce Heim who instructed him to bury the report. Raykovitz somehow maintains his PA-issued license to practice psychology to this very day.

D5gNSZCWwAEAfBW
Nobody had to report abuse to administrators at MSU & OSU. Victims reported it themselves. There was no question about what somebody saw, heard, or alleged. The complaints came straight from the victims.

Joe received second hand information that was not specific. In fact McQueary's dad, Dranov, Joe, Curley, and Shultz all said that MM didn't tell them about sexual assault.

A parade of all those mentioned, led by mark emmert, ed ray, lou ann simon and rodney the limp should be forced to walk a gauntlet from the Lion Shrine to Beaver Stadium where they can be introduced by name, shown on the screens and greeted while a chorus of SHAME, SHAME, SHAME from the PA system at normal game volume is played. Stripped and shaved would be appropriate. Programs with pictures could be sold to defer the costs so tuition would not have to be increased. Boxes of rotten tomatoes could be stored along the route forth the week prior to the event, or tar and feathers.

Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT